DC First Look: SUPER-SONS #1

SUPER SONS #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI • Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ • Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
“When I grow up” part one! The sons of Batman and Superman have graduated to their own monthly comic—but if they want to survive, they’re going to have to share it! Writer Peter J. Tomasi (BATMAN & ROBIN, SUPERMAN) teams with rising-star artist Jorge Jimenez (EARTH 2) to bring you the adventures of the World’s Smallest. This debut issue looks at the lives of Robin and Superboy and their destiny to follow in their fathers’ footsteps, while we meet a new villain whose ascension parallels the boys’ own understanding of their powers—except that he believes it’s his right to rule over every being on the planet!
On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

I'm so angry. If DC can give us this, why can't Marvel give us Spider-Dads. This is bullshit.

>Bruce's face
Yikes, what's going on there?

>When I grow up
Remember when the Pussycat Dolls was a thing?

Swollen from a night out patrolling.

END OF FIRST LOOK

Why the EL family are so precious?

Two more weeks, can hardly wait.

I think he's eating a protein bar.

Just turn this into a cartoon.

It feels like one.

So he is. Missed seeing it in his left hand when I first saw the image.

House of El is cosy as fuck.

Nice

>Damian's pose
Heh. I don't even know what that's called, but that's funny.

Looks like he's mocking Jon for sleeping.

This looks fun. I really want Dick to meet Jon too.

I took it as Damian trying to appease Jon, like saying, "I come in peace."

>an issue where damian gets jealous because he thinks dick likes jon more

I guess that whole Jon losing his powers thing won't last long then. Not that I expected it to.

PFFFFF

Batman is pretty neglectful to Damian. I guess Damian's not like a real kid. He's more like a tiny adult but he still needs to be loved and Bruce doesn't give a shit.

Super Sons will save comics
It'll be this generation's Runaways

Why are their eyes closed?

Fuck I can't wait. Just the chemistry of those two is well worth giving it a chance.

Thats exactly how it would go. Dick getting to hang with the cheerful son of his fave superhero.

So does this mean someone else is taking over Superman. Or is Tomasi gonna run everything now?

Goddamn that Mombutt!

Lois is MOMMY as fuck.

Tomasi and Gleason are still on Superman.

I think Tomasi can handle 2 books. This one is monthly so he has more time to work on it.

Jon is DC's Gohan. His latent powers are unreliable, and he only unleashes his true potential when in crisis.

Is Damian apologizing?

Anyway looks good. I hope I don't have too much expectation.

Nah, let this be a dad and sons book.

Wait how far apart do they live?

No I don't want any dads.

So where's Dick then?

So you do want Dick????

I think the Kents live outside of Metropolis in an impossibly small, idyllic town.

Gotham probably isn't THAT far when Damian has the means of travel that he does.

Batman is such a shitty father.

Jon lives on the outskirts of Metropolis and Damian the same. Metropolis and Gotham are somewhere in the northeastern US Metropolis = New York area Gotham = Chicago area. So I figure 3-4 hours away from each other.

Gotham is in Delaware, not Chicago. It's much closer to Metropolis.

>Jon lives on the outskirts of Metropolis and Damian the same *in Gotham.
Sorry forgot the last bit.

>dc still not selling jon's jacket

Ah ok that makes sense. I couldnt tell if they were far away or BvS levels of closeness.

Really? Didn't know that.

So you do want Dick? Bruc is clearly a shit dad.

>Batman's a shitty father meme
I thought Tomasi was better than this.

It might technically be in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware actually. It depends on who is writing honestly. Typically though, Gotham and Metropolis are east coast cities that are pretty close to each other.

It is weird considering how much he built up the Bruce/Damian relationship in his Batman and Robin run.

Maybe he is also mad about the Duke situation? Cause it does make Batman look like a bad dad.

The hell you talking about he gives him plent of love

>Batman's a shitty father

Please. We already saw enough that that Bruce cares. We really don't need to see more of something we already know.

Damian is a hard kid to love.

I mean it look like he's busy Batman not neglectful he's got patrolling to do

> Dick gets Jon to help him save Damian from Prof. Pyg

Lets go!!!

user, calm down.

Of course Batman is blowing Damian off. That's the whole point of the book. Their parents won't let them play superhero with them so they go off and have their own adventures. It may not be 100% accurate with established canon but who gives a fuck?

Best family!!

To be fair, Batman blowing his family off is pretty accurate canon, but yeah I agree with you.

>sleeping with socks on

It's a less about him blowing Damian off and more with Tomasi obviously showing the difference with how warm the El family are to their son compared how Bruce is with Damian.

I actually expected it to happen to differentiate Jon's situation from Damian's.

Anyway, the El family moments are always heartwarming and I hope to see more of them together.

Because they do not live in the pain of the past and hide in the shadows, they look to the future with a new light

Nice, he intrudes on his life like a creeper just like Bruce does with Clark.

They'll be bros in no time.

Lois with all stars and dat ass
HNNNARGH

Dick would totally love the shit out of Jon.

He got all big bro with Kara pre-New 52 so I can see him getting like that with any superkid.

So where do I start to learn about these two?

I'm looking at this comic and am thinking it'll be perfect to add to my class library (looks like middle school boys would eat this up)

>middle school boys
I don't about this. I actually think it will fit the elementary school boys better.

I could see both actually, might have too much action or certain him out for younger kids

For Jon:
- the best is the current Superman run by the Super Son's author and his co-writer/artist Gleason. The first trade, Son of Superman was just published.
- Before that Jon was introduced in the miniseries Lois & Clark about a year ago
- He was born is Superman convergence in 2015.
- Jon also makes an apparance in Action Comics Rebirth.

For Damian:
- the best is the Batman and Robin 52 by the same creative team as Superman.
- the above run was continued by Gleason in Robin, Son of Batman, but unfortunately Gleason had to leave the book early to concentrate on the upcoming Superman
- Damian was introduced in Morrison's Batman epic, and espcially the Batman and Robin (2011) run with Dick as Batman and Damian as his Robin is in par with the second iteration and really established Damian as a character. I however recommed Tomasi's run first, because it's more accesible.

Jesus Christ, dat Lois

So it's just minature Batman and Superman

Damian is brooder

Jon is golden boy.

They might as well have just took Batman and Superman and just made them kids instead going on adventures instead

>people actually thought that the marriage and the Superfamily idea would be a bad idea.
Why though? Feels a lot like the most logical progression to the Superman mythos.

I do hope this book will give Jon a little bit more personality to distinct him from his father.

Adorable!

Huh.... Damian is in the Shiva school of breaking into rooms in the middle of the night to make boys into men.

I'm surprised how the "Batman is a terrible father" meme ever even came to pass when he's practically the only Superhero to have ever raised multiple children who subsequently went on to become productive people in society. Bruce isn't a coddling, over the shoulder, supporting everything you do kind of man. His parenting style resembles the old school and today's generation simply can't comprehend it because they're too used to a parenting style that treats them like a special snowflake

If anything, it should happened decades ago considering Clark was raised in Kansas by a country family with traditional values that preaches the value of creating a family.

Please continue.

>leaving your kid at home instead of making him risk his life on the street is now considered bad parenting

Woah, DC is fucked up

No, just for an issue, like Jon and Damian need a babysitter, and obviously Dick's the most responsible person available.

>people expecting Batman to be portrayed as anything other than a bad parent since Superman has a family too

FIRST LOOK AT THE DIALOGUE

because the kids sometimes dies
also casuals think he picks them just to be Robin
also dickfags and other people desperate to complain about Batman

Is this the guy who does the art for Descender? I love the style and the cute boys

hopefully it bombs like teen titans

Jason died because some edgelords in the 80s voted for it to happen and Dick was adopted before he was even made a Robin

Dustin Nguyen, yeah.
He's written Damian a bit in Little Gotham.

What?

Do you remember how he had Bruce treat everybody in that shitty 5 stages of grief arc?

>So it's just minature Batman and Superman
thatsthepoint

Damian is such a spoiled brat, never happy.

That's just why so many comic readers love him. He is just like them.

> Dick
> Responsible

Hmmm

>Wanting cold feet

They're 6th and 7th graders, so not half of them are close enough to the elementary school age and the other half haven't all hit the two-cool-for-school-we-are-so-badass mindset that comes with their balls dropping.

Since you're around what would you recommend for them? Love the grades, but wish they were old enough to do things with New X men and Runaways!

Thanks user! Will check them out and see if they're appropriate for my class shelves!