Writefag/Critique General

>Things to do:
Post a pastebin containing your story(it doesn't matter if its incomplete). imgur link if you are doing some comic.
or just post the first/last paragraph you have
Ask some questions, don't just post and leave, we can help you, and you can help others.
Get beta readers, if someone is interested they can help you, and you can help.
Enter the monthly challenge(we don't have nay right now, you can give suggestions).
Make some request, maybe someone will pick them up
Shamelessly self promote your fanfic.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/Hc785
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Now some questions to get thing started. (you don't have to answer them all)
>What ya writing? describe your story or just give us a little resume
>Do you plan your plot or write it on the go?
>How much do you have?
>What is your daily/weekly/monthly quota?, are you there yet?
>Who is your MC? and describe him/her/it, both physically and mentally, tell us what you based on to create it
>Who is your main villain?
>What is the setting?
>Any other thing you are writing?

Inb4 you know what

Bump

Does anyone actually enter these threads for the purpose of reading, enjoying, and critiquing other peoples' ideas, or is this just a dumping grounds for people to write out what they're working on and dropping in the future while thinking others are interested?

Yes

That's actually what I do
Too bad these thread are so dead

Do readers care to much about panel layout? I'm working with a 2x4 and I feel that I might benefit from switching to a 3x3 which was my original intent. I was trying to convey a modern story through a retro panel layout. That said, a benefit of the 2x4 grid is that it encourages widescreen panels to simulate a cinematic effect (Authority), but it also makes the story progress at a slightly faster pace. I feel I can still maintain the desired effect of spectacle violence with a 3 wide panels (3x3) at the sacrifice of panel space while having the added benefit of all the different panel layouts/structures (see Watchmen).

All that said, I've also tinkered around with the idea of drawing my own work and if that ends up being the case I would want the highest degree of control and creativity so I would use a 4x4 grid. It would allow me keep the cinematic aspect of the 2x4 while allowing me significantly more vertical space as well as slowing the pacing with 16 individual panels if need be (TDKR).

I'd really like to hear Sup Forums's thoughts on panel strucutre/layout when reading comics.

Do you guys work with an artist or do everything yourselves?

It really depends on the story and the pacing you want for it
Personally I prefer 3x3

Writing and character sketch my self
Still looking for an artist, but I'm not in a hurry

I have a lot of one on one moments between character with actions taking place during the convo. This can range from walking around an office to engaging in a full on fight in an open environment. The story is superhero themed, but when it comes to the superpowers I play them as a incredibly destructive forces with most fights lasting at most a page or two unless both combatants are superman tier or have EXTREME durability of some kind. I know the story currently "works" in the 2x4 format as I've already scripted many of the issues, but currently I'm unhappy with the finished product and since I plan on revisitng the story anyway, I thought I could take the opportunity to overall panel layout.

>Once every 500 years the planets align and a champion is chosen. This millenia, the champion is astrophysicist Alan Pinterman. Utilizing the powers of the 8 planets of the solar system, The Interplanetary Man protects his home planet from cosmic threats from beyond the galaxy
Eh? This do anything for anyone?

Sounds like a golden-age comic story.

Kind of what I was going for. I wanted to create, like, a sort of Grant Morrison Superman character. I'm not going to try to write it like him, just the way he idolize him, ya know?

Okay Sup Forums, so I've been bored as of late and have been reading some really good fanfiction lately and I think it's about time after all these years that I finally get around to writing one since I actually feel like writing something. The first one I want to do would be a body swap fic, since I have a lot of concepts in mind for that, but I'm not sure of what I want to do since I have a lot of ideas, so which one of the listed ideas should I write? More importantly, should I keep my dignity in tact and not write one at all?

Ideas for fics I want to do(some not Sup Forums) include swaps between:
Steven and Connie
Steven and Priyanka
Fionna and Ice Queen
Ben and Charmcaster
Dipper and Pacifica
Marco and Star
Probably something with Danny Phantom
Not body swap, but maybe a gender swap fic with Marco or Danny
Not Sup Forums ideas include:
Naruto and Karin
Ranma and Shampoo
Maybe something with Symphonia

These are just the ideas that come to mind, because I know I had more and can't recall them at the moment, which isn't a surprise. At the moment I'm drawing a blank trying to think of more.

Feel more than free to berate me if you think this and my ideas are stupid, I deserve it. Also, to ask again one last time since it's very important, SHOULD I even write a fanfic at all?

I feel ya. Just realize that you have a harder job than most because making a Superman esque character standout from the rest of them is no easy task. But it seems like you got a decent enough backstory so you can probably mine that for some defining traits/characteristics.

The hardest part is coming up with a power set. He gets different powers from each planet, but can only use on power set at a time. The power set is based on characteristics of the planet. So, Jupiter would let him change his size, Venus would give him fire powers, Uranus would give him ice powers, etc. I should add that I really need to do research on the planets as well. His appearance will also change depending on what planetary power set he's using, to make it more visual.

1/2
Hoo boy.. every time I try to write this out, I come to a dead end. Bear in mind, I'm still trying to work out the finer details of the plot.

>What ya writing? describe your story or just give us a little resume

A boy travels back and forth between the real world and a fantasy world to search for his vulpine friend, who he believes is trapped inside. While inside the world, he joins a young girl on a journey to meet a wise and powerful priestess who is said to be able to grant wishes. But while there, he is haunted by an ominous creature lurking underground, who seems to know that he does not really belong there.

As the story progresses, we learn more about the boy's backstory, where his friend went, where the world came from, and what the boy really needs to do.

>Do you plan your plot or write it on the go?
A bit of both.. I've tried several times to plan out the entire plot, but I've found that once everything seems set in place, my drive to actually make it just disappears. I think it's better that I don't know entirely where it goes, so making the comic in and of itself becomes an adventure. For better or for worse..

>How much do you have?
Working on page 11 right now. Progress is extremely slow for many different reasons.

>What is your daily/weekly/monthly quota?, are you there yet?
I'd like to whip my ass in gear and get a page done at least once a month.

>Who is your MC? and describe him/her/it, both physically and mentally, tell us what you based on to create it
The character is a young boy with a timid, slightly cowardly nature, which has arisen due to recent traumatic events. He is slightly feminine-looking, which is the cause of some teasing among his new siblings. This drives him further into the fantasy world.

>Who is your main villain?
There's no single character that acts as the villain - not even the creature underground. I'd say the boy acts as his own antagonist, since it's his own actions and desires that entrench him in the fantasy world.

>What is the setting?
Big old house in the middle of the woody hills. Fantasy world is basically an extreme version of the woods and hills, minus the house.

I have a few pages done, but nothing close to a plot reveal yet.
imgur.com/a/Hc785

How do I force myself to write again? For the longest time all Ive been doing is jotting down ideas and storynotes and I cant bring myself to type page one. Maybe because I get distracted by the internet, maybe because I hate my own work, but I want to get that spark back. Ive been told I do solid work but god damn its like pulling teeth to get motivated anymore. Any help?

Try writing key events, then writing around them and what connects them, polishing and improving it after it's completed.

I just updated my website again, and am doing the weekly thing. Am still looking for a writer, but admittedly not looking that hard.

Readers won't explicitly care, but will inherently notice a bad layout even if they don't actively realize it. Kind of like laying out a line for people to queue in. Do you put up a sign telling them where to stand, or a vinyl strip for people to follow? Or a nice looking velvet rope? Or do you just tell the person in the front of the line where to stand, and have everyone fall in behind them, self-regulating? The people waiting in the line probably won't think too much of it either way, or won't even actively acknowledge a nice velvet rope or music playing, but inside they'll enjoy the experience more. That's the same for panel layouts. You could do something bare-bones and simple but it won't be any "fun" to read, and it might get repetitive. But you'll achieve the basic function all the same no matter what (unless you do a completely crazy layout no one can understand).

Basic intro to panel layouts is to "lead the eye" with shapes, figures, and background elements throughout the page. Assuming you're writing in english and for an english speaking audience, use a Z layout to start them off top left, and then snake through the rest of the page until you kick them off the page on the lower right.

Everything myself. I have someone help me with color flatting but everything else is me.