What is the most movie movie?

What is the most movie movie?

Like, the quintessential movie?

Pulp Fiction

Well, if you listen to that fag who avatar-posts with pictures of DW Griffith, it's probably Intolerance or some shit like that.

But for true kino masters it's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Inception

Hm. I can see this.

Just the way it shines / shimmers iconically, even from that thumbnail, seeming to announce itself: "cinema!" "the Silver Screen!" "the movies!"

And I mean: The Man. The Woman. (and being *that man and *that woman) and he's saying like the most iconic line there.

Probably the Wizard of Oz.

how about this?

Yeah that's a good one too.

I was thinking of like maybe Citizen Kane, but that's too long and serious.

Or The Godfather is too serious and dark.

Like the ultimate movie movie needs to be more romantic or magical. So yeah, Casablanca or The Wizard of Oz.

I feel like that one is emblematic of the movie as spectacle or capable of something big and grand. It's possibly in the top five or ten movie movies too.

Going that old as far as answering this is tempting because some of those early accomplishments such as King Kong really are almost symbolic of film (and its possibilities) itself

And if we were going that old and that Classic I'd probably consider a Charlie Chaplin film as well.

Probably The Room or Boku no Pico. Sharkboy and Lavagirl is a strong contendor as well

star wars 4

When Hollywood is doing one of those self-congratulatory montages of "the Movies!" at the Oscars or wherever, A New Hope is definitely in there. I wonder if all the endless shitty sequels and spinoffs will diminish its magic though.

Those montages always include most of the movies listed in this thread, and of course some scene with Robin Williams, and another with Tom Hanks being likeable or saying something moving or poignant.

Unironically this, its like a collection of tropes using this word unironically boiled down into a quintessential story illustrated by groundbreaking special effects. Its a tribute movie and its own thing at the same time, and it doesn't need to have its tongue in its cheek like Kingsman or something to work.

Yeah. And if there is maybe the most 'movie magic' scene in it that is in all the Oscars montages, it's that shot of Luke after blowing up the Death Star breathing a sigh of relief with Han's voice "Great shot that was one in a million!" and then Obi Wan's "The Force will be with you... always."

That would be like the iconic moment or money shot Star Wars equivalent for the "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow" moment in Casablanca, or King Kong climbing the Empire State Building.

Probably Avatar. Beautiful colours and loud noises to a crap story. Doesn't get more cinema experience than that.

unironically this

Pulp Fiction is in that it's a movie that's riffing on itself / movieness. I'd say it's too extreme to be 'family' or 'dating couple'-enough to be the quintessential movie though. Maybe if the question is 'what is the quintessential movie - that has fangs / claws'?

Independence Day

Almost all of modern cinema is a direct descendant of Star Wars, for better of for worse.

Yes very true. If we're talking Classic or Iconic Hollywood / movieness itself maybe they'd use Casablanca or something with Marilyn Monroe or Charlie Chaplin, but at this point movies are all descendant / modeled on the Star Wars model / approach.

What is the quintessential television show?

I Love Lucy?

It's certainly the film that stands out for me when I think of film as an art.

Forrest Gump strikes me as the most movie movie

It's still on the air today, so I'd say yes.

Everybody Loves Raymond

Yeah. And if we just consider King Kong as emblematic of film-as-spectacle or of 'what film can accomplishment on a big scale', the contemporary equivalent would be Titanic. Which is schlock but still had that impact.

Avatar was trying to be that too but I don't think it achieved that iconic status.

Everybody Loves Raymond is like an empty impression of a tv show. Like it could almost be mistaken as a really drawn-out, deadpan exercise in anti-comedic parody of television, except that it was actually just that much of a hack show ticking off every box of the formula.

It aged like wet garbage. It's on tv what seems like every damn day and looks like shit.
I think the only thing it will be remembered for is the death rattle of the 3D meme, or being so remarkably unimportant to our culture despite its box office showing.

I think even at this point it's still a bad idea to try to attempt an iconic movie based in supposedly eye-poppingly 'real'-looking CGI. Precisely because it still isn't remotely believable and ages weirdly.

Only works when they kind of do all they can to mesh its CGI-ness into a more practical effects-y look, like in Jurassic Park or LOTR.

You're so ruined by modern cinema that the scope and depth of the medium is covered over, leaving you unable to grasp its soul.

t. Abatap

last action hero

That's another movie-about-movies movie, like Pulp Fiction or Basic Instinct, or a lot of Brian DePalma's stuff.

Kind of qualifies in this consideration but I think the 'real deal' or the 'classic' / first has seniority here.

L'armée des Ombres.

Interestingly there's a lot of Wagnerian things about Star Wars - from the sweeping heroic opera romance thing with knights and ancient archetypes down to soundtrack which is pure Romantic style but more specifically kind of a popularized Wagner impression.

And Wagner was into this idea of a total artwork, which movies were considered to supposedly be delivering on the promise of, and in a popular and kind of mythic way Star Wars did this - not as high art but still.

That Wagnerian flavor and influence was really big in old Disney movies too; Walt was specifically going for that Germanic aesthetic even and loved Wagner.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Wagner's Operas are GOAT, not hard to see why they are payed homage to.

Independence Day

Yeah they really are amazing.

And sometimes people just focus on the epic and supposedly more 'proto-fascist' aspects of his work but really he was the one who really spearheaded going into these chromatic scales and early dissonances that directly and nearly single-handedly influenced that whole Austrian / Vienna school of composers which pretty much launched the entire project of abstract / atonal / avant / experimental music going forward.

Talking Head

Citizen Kane

I definitely considered like Citizen Kane, Vertigo, and Ben Hur, but put them a little more down the list because they're more serious or longer and don't quite thus have the same sparkling universality and agreement that something a little more popcorn-y would have.

So the contenders so far imo come down to (in no particular order):

The Wizard of Oz
Star Wars: A New Hope
King Kong
Casablanca

Special mention:

Forest Gump
Titanic
Citizen Kane
Pulp Fiction

>king kong
>literally propaganda
>good

lmao ok

lawrence of arabia by a mile

Roadhouse

It's Willow for me.

Predator

I don't know about that; whatever propagandic intention might have been attached to it before has fallen away and all that's left is more of a monument to / reflection on human ambition and its inevitable tragic outcome

Oh yeah, forgot that. I put it with contenders like Ben Hur or Citizen Kane.

not sure about the message here

...Kongz?

empire strikes back > a new hope
you literally cannot fight this fags

n shiet

So... don't bring [___?___] back from remote jungle regions because it will run amok with your white women while destroying society? I don't get it.

It'll be some meta, movie about making movies. 8 1/2 mebbe

YOU'RE A BIG APE

No, it's propaganda. Nothing has "fallen away", it is propaganda the same as it was when it came out.

Look it up

I mean any trace of that doesn't come across at all and certainly wouldn't have that supposed intended effect now.

But you're clearly wrong.
Not only does it still come across the same way, it also has a normalising effect too. Not to mention it's considered a "classic", so it becomes much greater as a piece of propaganda if it is literally considered "must see"

Are you stupid or what?

elaborate or GTFO

As in do I think the movie will brainwash people into wanting to join the army or something? No, I don't think propaganda is that directly and immediately effective, and frankly I don't care anyway. I just care if art is vital / cool / aesthetic. Don't care about the politics so much. Some people join the army, some don't, whatever.

I think the chronology twisting gimmick is too anomalous to call the movie quintessential

That, and having two guys tied up and one of them literally raped (which is even shown). Puts it a bit outside the discussion here.

>being this much of a dumb cunt
It's a movie about a big black fucking gorilla that was taken prisoner by whitey before it escaped, climbed a building and had a white blonde haired women fall in love with it

Research yourself faggot

The Princess Bride

oh, you're a Sup Forumstard. thought there was something serious about this for a sec, sorry.

Oohhh I did suspect you might be a lefty when you used the word 'normalize'. Hah. Well as an apolitical sort m'self I don't give a shit.

And I really don't buy into that Culture Studies idea about norms being completely constructed by media representation. You can clean up the media to look as nice and progressive as you want; people will still often be very nasty and prejudiced in all types of ways. :/

Terminator 2.

No, he's / she's COMPLAINING that it's enforcing racist 'norms'. He's (or more likely *she's* given the tone) the opposite of Sup Forums.

yaaaaawwnnnn

literally nobody who ever sees the movie today will ever see it that way

KING KANGZ

>look it up
stupid fucking kid. i knew from your first greentext post you were just a dumb kid who read that somewhere and didn't understand it

or would it be KANG KONG?

SO U BE SAYIN' WE WUZ KONGZ AND SHEEIT?

>she's
nice fantasy you got going on there. do you think all the ''girls'' on Sup Forums are real because they sent you a titty pic once? you know you're almost always talking to an either overweight or underweight white males aged 15-50 who more than likely have the 'tism

Man users of this site post on Sup Forums, you fucking dork. It doesn't make anything I said any less correct.

Lefty? How fucking autistic are you? Nice reading comprehension, retard.

But they do, though. Even if they don't consciously point it out, it still leaves an impact.

"Yawn" all you want, conditioning is conditioning.

Ok chap

Jurassic Park

read his post again bro

Good list.

I'd add Gone with the Wind.

Add Con Air

Its quintessential 90's kino

I'd probably say,
Independance Day for Action
Gone With The Wind for Wholesome
and Pulp Fiction for being enjoyably cheesy.

Hell's Kitchen

Any one of Spielbergstein's classics
>Jaws
>ET
>Indiana Jones
>Schindler's List

North By Northwest

Goldfinger

Saving private Ryan too

Shawshank

Citizen Kane. Duh.

Is that even a question?

Speed

Indiana Jones, ET, Goonies, and every other 80s summer blockbuster

Without question Wizard of Oz
Groundbreaking special effects for time
Simple yet enjoyable family-oriented story (and an adaptation which Hollywood stills loves)
Emblematic of movies as escape (fantasy setting, released during depression/lead up to WWII)
Quotable and iconic scenes for "zomg movies" Oscar montages

The Road Warrior

for me it is Willow too
pecks can fuck right off