ITT: Cartoon cliches you hate

ITT: Cartoon cliches you hate.

>the main girl knows martial arts only because the writers want to deconstruct gender standards

>The Book of Life

>body swap episode
>the voices swap over too

This triggers me so hard. It's so lazy, makes no sense and sucks all the potential fun out of the conceit. It's a perfect opportunity for voice actors to play around impersonating each other, why waste it?

Shit, just any double standard in general.

>The intelligent girl is hot
>Also a bitch

>Humble character becomes cool and acts like a dickhead episode
>Love triangle episode

>Dystopian future run by evil government/corporation
>Main villain is an evil businessman

>Main girl bullies the protagonist to hide the fact that she has a crush on him.

>The misunderstanding episode, where everyone shuts the main character down before he can give a 2-second explanation
>The growing lie episode, where the main character keeps telling lies to cover up small ones
>The new kid episode, where everyone loves the new kid except the main character because he's the only one the new kid treats like shit

>main girl is set up as being 2cool4school, she's got badass kung fu skills, she don't need no man
>is used as a helpless damsel anyway

I don't give a shit about damsels in distress or whatever, there's nothing wrong with them, but why go through all the effort of "subverting" the cliche if you're just doing it anyway?

You're not being clever, you're just making the character look like an incompetent idiot.

>two(2) best friends with their love interest somehow end together
>comedy character is actually a super badass

Whenever a 3D animated show does a clone / impostor / alternate universe episode to save time and budget on making new models.

>nobody mentions or notices the characters sound different

>Gravity Falls

>Character goes back in time
>their ancestors are the same as their current family

Episode ends with character getting a special weapon, never comes up again.

Meteorite sword!

Fucking Patty in Jessica Jones.

some other character "Gee x you sound weird today"
Main character "I uh-got a cold is all"

I was watching darkwing duck and was surprise that they went with the swapping voice actors route I thought it was of the good cartoons

I wasn't big on her secret agent stuff, but she was a great foil for Dan. It also was funny whenever she, a super agent ninja, had to accept that this little angry douche was actually a legitimate threat to anything around him.

Didn't Elise only get used as a damsel, like, once in the entire series?

I think that user was referring to the picture.

Of the things in that picture, the only thing that didn't come up again was the key. Everything else was destroyed/used up.

>male and female character are friends, one falls for the other but hides it. One things leads to another and eventually they end up together anyway.

>double standard

I like this one line they put into the online Rick & Morty game:

>Summer: *after having it pointed out* "That's my soccer ball, it conveys I'm athletic but also a girl."

>Hero gets stopped from killing villain by some idiot who gives the 'kill villain and you'll be just as evil' speech

At least Justice League kept the voices

The inverse happened in Avatar: The Last Airbender

>If you kill the villain he wins

>Character is a loser
>Is awkward towards girls
>Every once in a while a girl is nice to him
>He falls in love with her
>Imagines spending the rest of his life with her
>Gathers the courage to as her out
>Either "I was just being nice to you because I felt sorry for you" or "Sorry, I already have a boyfriend"

This kids is why you never self insert yourself as the loser

Wait what cartoon did this happen in?
Did they read my diary?

>MC does stupid shit, all gets brushed under the rug next episode or, hell, the next scene
>Another episode devoted fully to another character being reprimanded for doing similarly stupid shit

>Gather the courage to ask them out
>They accept
>Have a nice, short-lived relationship before friend forces them to admit they already have a SO

>Villain actually changes himself and realizes his wrong waysfor one episode before going back to his usual self at the end.
>Villain is always in the wrong, despite being right.

>a main character has a skill or interest only because the writers want to do something with the character

It's like they're fictional characters! You cracked the code, OP!

Similarly:
>A villain is a bad guy forever. The show will tease at redemption only to have something that happens to "force" the villain back, or worse, the villain is trying to change their ways and something bad happens (it's a just a misunderstanding) and the good guy chastizes the villain for no goddamn reason. Good guy still the good guy somehow.

>body swap
>characters dont touch themselves

Has there ever been a show where the fembully wasn't bullying someone because they had a crush on them, but because they just hate the person they're bullying?

Well at least with Teen Titans they were going to have the voices stay the same, but Starfire and Raven's VA's sounded too much alike when they tried imitating each other so they just went with the usual cliche

>The villains actually have hobbies and lives outside of fucking with the protagonist
>They are actually decent(ish) people that are very successful when they aren't fucking with the protagonist
>They are 1000x more interesting than the protagonist and are only villains because dsdsfrfsrgsfgv

Fucking Pokémon....

Not a consistent character, but...

Funnily enough the only time I can remember a body swap scene doing this was in the live action Scooby Doo movie.

>Character has no love interest
>Make them gay

the opposite of this happens in the Flarrowverse

He never said that... Did he?

Did they really? I haven't paid attention to their tumblr so I really don't know.

If you correct your enemies, they win.

The show is your life

Mike says this yet will still defend Rey for some reason.

How is that a cliche? Name 5 other medias that do this.

I don't get it either, man. Different opinions and all, but yeah.

At least they came to their senses with Rogue One.

It's not a cliché if it's realistic.

>its a webcomic
>its seems like the mc and the girl character are getting together
>lol nope shes a lesbian

FOP

>Mandatory gay/lesbian is the reasonable straight man

Has there ever been a reverse of this?

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP.

Fuck, I hate that movie. And I hate that I hate it because if there were just a few differences I'd love it.

I always assumed that was for the benefit of the viewers unless another character explicitly says something. Like, the same way how in series that take place on different planets or star systems everyone speaks english, I don't assume that's just some HUGE COINCIDENCE but that the viewer has a babelfish so to speak./

>The misunderstanding episode, where everyone shuts the main character down before he can give a 2-second explanation

I was watching Bug's Life earlier and this came to me.

God, I hate that part of the film.

>Antagonist is in the same field/area as protagonist
>revealed to have cheated somehow, because only the protag is allowed to have legitimate skill at something

>acts like this is """representation"""

I know it's not Sup Forums, but that made me so fucking mad in Pixels, even more so because it was literally impossible for the antagonist to cheat in both the instances where they say he did.

funny how the nutshack did that right

>Pixels

your own fault for watching that shit

>doesn't get invited to a party
>goes anyways and coincidentally destroys everything while the host is trying to get them to leave

>character writes lies about other characters or publishes their secrets for a newspaper

I can think of 5 different shows off the top of my head that have done an episode like this

They mention that bought Star wars and Ghostbusters got a shit ton of astroturfing. But doesn't thinks Disney could be sabotaging the competition.

My college was showing it for free, and I didn't have any friends or any plans. I kinda wish I stayed in my room.

>character keeps getting outsmarted by small pest, usually a fly

i got really mad at these episodes as a kid

Because he's not doing a knee jerk meme reaction. Her character isn't THAT bad, no she's not great and her toys don't sell for shit, but she has clear motivations and conflicts. She isn't simply a cardboard cutout. Mary-Sue? Sure, but not as badly written as a audience insulting dry hump of a "popcorn-movie"

>Old corny superhero series hosted online only
>Hero attempts to teach his enemy a lesson for their evil behavior
>Villain isn't fazed because they don't care what happens to themselves
>Hero discovers the villain's family is all they care about
>The "hero" becomes an anti-villain and uses this opportunity to murder or rape the antagonist's loved ones to teach him/her a lesson the HARD way
>mfw I can no longer tell who the real villain is

Villain gives up on their scheme because they get fed up with the constant failure and decide to pursue a more peaceful passion in life. Protagonist learns he/she can't live without the villain constantly annoying their friends and the reformed villain forcing said villain to go back to being an antagonist. This trope always pissed me off because the protagonist is the one in wrong and everyone accepts it.

>>The "hero" becomes an anti-villain and uses this opportunity to murder or rape the antagonist's loved ones to teach him/her a lesson the HARD way
Fucking what?

Why was Elise so booby? God, Chris was one lucky sunnavabitch.

well usually it's only done for the viewer and the people in-universe hear the voice that belongs to the original host

hits too close to home, i watch cartoons to get away from this shit

Hasbro's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic developed for television by Lauren Faust successfully refurbished this canned plot by tweaking it enough to change the meaning; the characters knew what they were doing was wrong from the start and didn't even like doing it but were seduced by success and badgering from the boss of the newspaper. the moral is a more complex "don't trick yourself into immoral acts" instead of just "don't talk shit about people".

>kill that arrogant sumbitch
>"nah i'm good"

god Diamond Tiara is so hot, I just want that underaged filly to dominate me and humiliate me for my smol benis

spongebob did it first

That was a good episode of Strangers With Candy, though.

nigga idgaf
It's played out

I can't think of any cartoons that do it, but you see it all the fucking time in other girls' media like manga, tween sitcoms, young adult novels, and other such things.

ive been trying to find out the name of this show for years. ty bro

idk brocellosis it's the only version of this plot I've seen where the characters aren't just too stupid to realize what they're doing will annoy people. Maybe I don't watch enough children's cartoons.

>Protagonist gets crush on random girl
>That one girl coincidentally ends up getting involved in the protagonist's adventures and they fall in love.

For some reason this kinda reminds me of Ratchet and Clack where Ratchet meets a qt every game and start dating and she's never spoken of again after that game.

I bet they did it just like Rowling made Dumbledoor a fag after the books ended

>Characters go grossly out of their way to avoid words like "dying" or "dead" or "kill"

Reminds me of what happened in the TF2 comic with Scout and Ms. Pauling.

Source?
>Every time the MC's love interest shows up, it becomes a spaghetti-spilling episode where the situation could've easily been avoided if the MC kept his common sense

i will DESTROY this trope

Seriously? Glad I could help. One of my favorites ever.

>he will be destroyed
>they will be eviscerated
>I'll see to it that they're annhilihated
>she'll be dispatched

Fuck this. It happens so little, but when it does happen there's no good fucking excuse.

As bonus, there's the distant cousin of this plot
>Episode sees Antag start becoming good guy. Protag is super suspicious but everyone's okay with it. Protag eventually accepts it. Antag was just pretending to be good the whole time.