Phantom Thread trailer

PTA kino is back on the menu
youtube.com/watch?v=xNsiQMeSvMk

I'm tired of PTA for some reason

I bet the DDL spent the years since Lincoln to become a sewmaster.

Also, he seems to turn slowly into Jeremy Irons

bump

never liked DDL, he's beyond acting and yet his characters never quite feel like real people, it's jarring

ok that's some weird ass trailer, editing is all over the place, cool visuals tho

bump

So is Daniel Day Lewis's character supposed to be gay? Description says he's a confirmed bachelor, he's asked why he's not married, his named is Reynolds Woodcock of all things.

Bi, I think

What is this movie even about? Is this a chick-flick?

bump

bamp

Looking forward to this, looks good

>already know the answers to his questions
>still asks
pig fuck

So he's a closeted gay guy right?

excuse me.

This looks boring as fuck. PTA will never make anything as good as Inherent Vice again.

I'll definitely end up seeing this because PTA is a certified Kinotographer but the trailer was dog shit

He never made good flicks to begin with

Inherent Vice is his second worst, behind Magnolia

looks boring

like most of the guy's films since Punch Drunk Love, which was fun. This looks boring and bland.

probably over 3 hours long, too

I'll pass

Magnolia is a masterpiece.
Inherent Vice was a piece of shit and his only bad film

Kinda get the feeling the studio is making the trailer as intense as they could so appeal to normies, but the movie will be closer to The Master in terms of pacing.

So more PTA kino oncoming

this is unironically a reddit post

Hard Eight - There Will Be Blood = Reddit

There Will Be Blood - Inherent Vice = Sup Forums

You literally CANNOT dispute this

>pta
>kino
Do you think logan, blade runner2, and guardians of the galaxy are kino too?

Top 10 movies I've seen this year
>dunkirk
>logan
>blade runner 2049
>wonder woman
>guardians of the galaxy 2
>spider-man homecoming
>logan lucky
>the snowman
>deadpool
>sunrise: a song of two humans
Now post yours ;)

sure i can

There Will Be Blood > Inherent Vice > Hard Eight > The Master > Magnolia > Punch Drunk Love

None of his films are terrible i.e. Ghost In the Shell they are all at least very good to masterpiece.

I didn't say reddit = terrible

just that his films from hard eight to there wil be blood are reddit, and there wil be blood to inherent vice are Sup Forums

and it's looking like the phantom thread will be ebaumsworld

are you being paid to shill this movie?

trailer makes the movie look like dogshit. pta's always been overrated but this looks horrendous, even by his standards.

He makes too many "quirky" period pieces. I still love Boogie Nights and The Master though.

Reverse what you just said and you'll be correct

Anyway this movie will probably be a masterpiece pleb filters just like PTA's last two.

>DUDE SENSITIVE, HUMANIST FILMS DRIVEN BY CHARACTERS RATHER THAN FORMULAIC PLOTTING OR A FORCED "MESSAGE" LMAO
Yeah that old schtick is wearing pretty thin

It's probably going to be a slow and quiet examination of the era, fashion and DDL's character, and you probably just can't make a trailer for something like that without giving too much away or making it completely unrepresentative of the film. that's just one of the aspects of being true kino

or maybe PTA just screwed up with this, I don't know, I have faith in him at least.

holy fuck that's good

This. Early PTA I'm not crazy about, but his last two films were tremendous

Looks interesting. Is Greenwood doing the soundtrack again?

yes

PTA didn't hire a cinematographer for this movie, his usual guys were booked elsewhere so he did it himself. Looks pretty good.

Yes.
And Thom is doing the soundtrack for Suspiria.

Too much capeshit, weak b8

>Hard Eight > The Master
Maybe you should kill yourself

Will this guarantee another Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis?

The trailer made it look like utter shit, so I'm going to assume this will bomb hard.
Come to think of it, the Master was pretty dull as well.

Knowing this is PTA it will have some great acting and characters but the setting seems to be kinda boring
At least The Master had the Scientology/cult thing going on as the backdrop for Freddie, Dodd and his wife

Hopefully the sound mixing is a little better in the final film.

Only Inherent Vice,Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love was quirky. The last wasn't even a period piece.

Inherent Vice wasn't a period piece?

Is this literally 50 shades of grey in disguise?

That's a pretty interesting idea for a story honestly, like a gay guy who needs to get some sort of feeling of romance because being gay is illegal so he seduces some chick and doesn't want to marry her or have sex so he plays head games instead to keep her strung along in a love game.

I was talking about the last that I've mentioned, Punch Drunk Love. Only Inherent Vice and Boogie Nights were quirky period pieces. The Master and TWBB weren't quirky.

>That's a pretty interesting idea for a story honestly, like a gay guy who needs to get some sort of feeling of romance because being gay is illegal so he seduces some chick and doesn't want to marry her or have sex so he plays head games instead to keep her strung along in a love game.
oh sorry
no?

don't know why i quoted that

Seems like hes a paranoid possible schizo. Other characters mention he feels Doomed in love, he repeatedly says he feels cursed, questions his wife/love interest, asks if she was sent there to ruin his evening and his life.

Seems very demanding and controlling. The mental shit is probably the TWIST

Lot of pressure on PTA since this is DDL's last work.

I'd be surprised if its half as good as There Will Be Blood.

Lots of pressure on PTA all round, his only commercially successful films are Boogie Nights and There will be blood. His budget for Inherent Vice was slashed alot from his previous budget for the master but it still flopped. If he can't get a hit with Daniel Day-Lewis's final film then questions might start getting asked

I'd rather watch this than The Last Jedi desu.

This but I'm curious why did they make it look like a Christopher Nolan movie in the trailer, was it to appeal to the low brow audience?

Why are PTA's trailers always so misleading? Inherent Vice really didn't do well at the box office because normies thought it would be a dumb comedy but is it solely his idea or the studios?

Jesus this looks boring

I'll still watch it cuz I like pta but holy shit I care so little about 50's bong clothing designers

>it's an out of touch hollywood director makes a movie about some retarded shit only rich people thing is interesting

So obviously there's some kind of twist they're hiding, is it a) he's a closet homo b) he's a serial killer or c) he's an S&M freak

Apparently there were rumors about the last one being true but it's rated R for language only so most people think it's just gonna be about him being a closet homo in the 50's... pretty lame if you ask me.

wonder if he prepared by having lots of homo sex?

You serious? DDL is as gay as the day is long irl

user he has 3 kids and had at least 2 long term relationships with different women, I don't think he's gay unless it's all an elaborate cover and his whole life has actually been his prepping for this role.

Why do you think he's using his real accent in this role?

my god it's literally "the role of a lifetime" the absolute madman

*yawns*

so this is the kind of fare the "patricians" of Sup Forums watch....huh...

Trailer has very little to do with how the film actually is I'm hearing. Source: sources.

Looks nice.

did somebody not suck ur husbandos dick hard enuff for u? :(

Are you retarded? He's already a respected filmmaker and all his films have gotten critical acclaim, he does not do it for the money and I don't think the producers fund his movies expecting big returns either, but rather for the prestige which this movie is sure to bring.

No Joanna Newsom in this one? Bummer

PTA edits all his own trailers

wow actual kino for once

PTA is always kino, not pretentious bullshit like other so called kino directors, but actual honest to god kino.

you're wrong
Hard Eight - Magnolia: reddit
Punch Drunk Love - Inherent Vice - Sup Forums

With PDL being his best obviously

>PTA is always kino
PTA is the dictionary definition of entry level cinema. He not only steals from better directors, but he does it without any irony like Tarantino.

I am personally fine with it though. Because through PTA, all these freshmen college students will discover Robert Altman, who was the real deal. They will discover Scorsese, the most important American film director of our time, they will discover Kubrick, and the Coen Bros.

Through Altman, they will discover Renoir, through Kubrick, they will discover Ophuls, Scorsese to Fellini. Suddenly they realize PTA was just a child with no original thoughts in his head, that his films just revolve around quoting better directors while adding epic catch phrases like "I drink your milkshake!" and "Pig fuck!" Really there is no bigger clue in to how meaningless his cinema is when the only thing people discuss when mentioning his movies are 'le epic catch phrases, dude!'

You might say great artist steal, but what Picasso meant by this is that great artists are able to understand what works and manipulate it. PTA merely 'mimics'. This is why it is completely obvious who he is mimicking from film to film.

>discover Scorsese, Coen bros, Kubrick
>implying people don't already know these famous people
Scorsese is super famous bro and so is Kubrick though I guess it's possible some normies may only know of him, like they've heard the name and know he's a director but haven't actually seen his films, Coen bros are less well known but they've had some very successful movies, they're hardly obscure.

Hell yeah, dude! You sound like you know your shit inside and out, care to show us some of your work? I bet it is prime time cinema with a main course of Kíno

what the fuck is that picture from?

>Earl H. Norem[1] (April 17, 1923 – June 19, 2015), who signed his work simply Norem, was an American artist primarily known for his painted covers for men's-adventure magazines

>but he does it without any irony
You seriously could not have watched the pool scene in Boogie Nights and thought 'Wow, these guys are living the high-life!'

Hiding things in the seems that "only he knows about" is an in-closet metaphor if I've ever heard of one.

Punch Drunk Love is my favourite still, how is my taste Sup Forums?

I've been waiting for this for years
that "why aren't you married" seemed ominous though
if this is just another "oh it's so horrible having to conceal homosexuality it's like hell" movie I will never forgive pta

This is going to be one of the biggest bombs in all of human history

Honestly this looks like a parody of an oscar bait movie.

It's sad but I think that's what it's going to be

>budget $35,000,000
It won’t turn a profit but it’ll definitely recoup the budget

>Phantom Thread
>The Phantom Menace

what did PTA mean by this???

>the phantom carriage
>the phantom of the opera
Phantom Cinematic Universe when?

you really think pta is gonna make things THAT surface-level

I hope not

nah punch drunk love is reddit as fuck, Sup Forums movies are The Master and Inherent Vice aka pleb filter.

This is the woman that DDL's character falls in love with?

She's literally 4/10at best. How the fuck can she be anyone's "muse"?

this has 'BBC middlebrow drama' written all over it

sucks like a Hoover

>i don't know what a muse is and/or never had one and/or reason to have one

So much this
>inb4 plebs