/hor/ - horror general

werewolf edition

Other urls found in this thread:

blumhouse.com/2015/12/10/the-shocking-true-crime-case-that-derailed-fright-night-3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Funnily enough, I rewatched the Craft the other day and noticed Sarah's last name is Bailey and Nancy's last name was Downs and the name of the town in Ginger Snaps is Bailey Downs. I wondered if it was a direct reference to the Craft.

Who /dogsoldiers/ here?

Great flick.

WATCHED THE LATEST UNDERWORLD INSTALLMENT LIKE A MONTH AGO AND, MAN, IT WAS PURE SHIT. GOT SOME WEREWOLVES IN IT THO

nice catch
gotta be, it's horror tradition to namecheck surnames and town names generation after generation

Ginger Snaps 2 was pretty good, though apparently the ending is either love it or hate it, no room for anything in between.

3, eh, feels more like a wasted opportunity.

what was the best wolfkino of 1981?

I'll take a shot in the dark--probably the same reason 1997 was volcanokino and 1998 was celestialobjectkino.

So last night I watched the original Fright Night for the millionth time. It's still freakin amazing and has some of the best special effects ever (thanks to the Ghostbusters crew).

Followed it up with Part II. It was my first time seeing it and I wasn't very impressed. Like the original, it had some good special effects, but I found myself getting bored several times. It's always nice to see Jon Gries in a horror flick.

I just now found out that Tom Holland is writing a sequel in book form that should be out early next year, so that's exciting.

Most people go with An American Werewolf in London, but I'm quite partial to The Howling. Wolfen is the clear cut bronze winner in this case.

I like how they subtitled An American Werewolf in London as "The Monster Movie." As if something with "werewolf" in the title wouldn't be a monster movie.

Another interesting piece of trivia I discovered last night about Fright Night is its connection to the Menendez murders. Apparently Roddy McDowall and the director of Part II were going to have a meeting with Jose Menendez (executive at Carolco Pictures) to discuss a possible third movie. Days before the meeting took place Jose and his wife were murdered by their two sons. Roddy called Jose "the worst human being he had ever met."

blumhouse.com/2015/12/10/the-shocking-true-crime-case-that-derailed-fright-night-3/

What's the consensus on Wolf? I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember it being better than the critics gave it credit for.

I love Fright Night but the love interest looks like one of the pig people from that Twilight Zone episode and I can never buy that anyone finds her attractive.

sup my /hor/bros
Started the crawl through classic Universal stuff.
The Hunchback was kind of meh. Didn't help that I'm also very familiar with the novel and the adaptation doesn't really bring a lot in term of visuals to keep you engaged if you already know precisely what is going on and what comes next.
Phantom of the Opera on the other hand was great. Visuals and mood are spot-on, the music works a lot better than it did in the Hunchback.
[/blog]

Yeah I've always found it strange that they cast 27 year old Marcy Darcy to play the teenage girl next door.

Thoughts on this movie?

It's because the story has gay undertones & the focus is actually the male characters.

I haven't seen it since the Scream Factory Blu-ray first came out, but I remember it being enjoyable. Tobe Hooper was on a roll in the 70s and 80s.

>tfw no strictly platonic friendship in high school

Wasted years...

I haven't seen a single horror movie that I actually enjoyed this entire month.

>have one of those
>my other friends assume I'm making advances
truly the worst feel

>The Craft
Fun movie, top tier fap bait.

The third one was awful.

Watch the Blackcoat's Daughter.

Werewolf in London has the best werewolf transformation of all time. Fite me.

I just watched Videodrome for the first time. What did I think of it?

You are now a confirmed New Flesh terrorist.

You thought it was a solid 8/10 worth rewatching in 2-3 months.

This one's pretty fun. A train gets stopped on the tracks and a bunch of werewolves prey on the people inside. On streaming sites there's an alternate cover that looks fucking atrocious, so if you see that just ignore that and enjoy a fun werewolf movie.

Evil Ed's de-transformation in the original Fright Night was pretty good.

Werewolf genre just like vampire genre is plagued by shitty romance. I am still waiting for a romance free werewolf or vampire movie where a specimen hides among the population of a big city and steadily accumulates kills not just as a terrifying monster but a smart and capable human well aware of their urges. Alternatively an apocalyptic survival setting would be great.

That said, my favorite werewolf movie is probably Ginger Snaps 2. Nothing outstanding but I really liked the ending which is rare. My favorite vampire movie is harder to tell... None truly stand out. Blade, Daybreakers, 30 Days of Night, Van Helsing, they all had their pros and cons. If I had to I would go with 30 because I love survival and wish there were more movies with it. Extinction (2015) is an underrated one, post apocalyptic "survival" but not the kind of survival which I love.

Why was Wes Craven so hit-and-miss? He's fascinating to me. His highs are very high and his lows very low.

> I am still waiting for a romance free werewolf or vampire movie where a specimen hides among the population of a big city and steadily accumulates kills not just as a terrifying monster but a smart and capable human well aware of their urges.

That's Eddie Quist in The Howling.

Jesus, man. Try watching something made before the year 2000.

I have to keep reminding myself he directed Red Eye
very silly movie, but also great fun

>The Howling
Under rated movie and and underrated series.

>finally watch The Howling
>find it kinda boring
Who else /pleb/ here?

Hey guys can anyone confirm is this Trick r Treat movie is worth my time? I need a /hor/ movie to watch tonight with the gf thanks.

Dog Soldiers

great opening 10 minutes, the whole movie should've been about that premise
really fizzles out once they go to the resort
until Dick Miller shows up

this desu
the transformation is pretty cool, not American Werewolf-good imo but still good, but other than that the movie was a let down for me

Laughton's Hunchback is my favorite adaptation

This list is really a rollercoaster of quality though

wasn't The Brute Man straight-up on MST3K?

Most stuff pre 2000 is shit though, especially visually, which is kind of important in monster movie genre.

Mimi Rogers looks a bit different in that poster

Objectively American Werewolf. I'm offended that you'd even ask.

It's a collection of unrelated Halloween themed short stories run with one through story as a framing device. It's fucking great.

You're retarded. I know you're just shitposting, but you're still retarded.

The OG Invisible Man and Wolf Man movies are good. Wolf Man is the better of the two, but IM is still pretty great.

Did someone say Werewolf movies?

>see OP image
>laugh
>this is what Ginger Snaps should be

Has anyone seen The Company of Wolves? I remember seeing that box in the rental store but never picking it up.

Fuck no. The Invisible Man is the best out of all the universal monster movies.

Best Movie: American Werewolf
Best Werewolves: The Howling

fite me

have they ever done something like the invisible man smoking and they show how the smoke passes through his system?

Give American Werewolf Best Transformation Scene and I'll join your crusade.

>From the director of Animal House...a different kind of animal.
GOAT

>Invisible Man
>best Universal horror film

but that's not Creature from the Black Lagoon

Claiming that movies 40 years ago were visually better is like claiming that video games were visually better back then. You are literally shitting on decades of progress in technologies, techniques, experience and budget increases. YOU are the retard.

Try these Vampire flicks out:

>God tier
Nosferatu 1922

>Great tier
Dracula 1931
Horror of Dracula 1958
The Fearless Vampire Killers 1967
Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979
The Hunger 1983
Fright Night 1985
Near Dark 1987
The Reflecting Skin 1990
Bram Stoker's Dracula 1992
The Addiction 1995

>Good tier
Dracula 1979
Lifeforce 1985
The Lost Boys 1987
Innocent Blood 1992
Interview with the Vampire 1994
Shadow of the Vampire 2000

They did that with eating in the Kevin Bacon version of the Invisible Man

that is not only fair but correct, American Werewolf's transformation scene is GOAT

>no John Carpenter's Vampires
Do you even Wood?

I think I like the demon wolf look in AWiL more than what Howling did. That wolf just looked like a regular one but standing.

not him, but DO NOT watch the theatrical cut of Fearless Vampire Killers
Executive meddling really messed up the film in that regard. Otherwise it's top tier comfy

this is a list of good movies

This is not how it should work. If you think like that you'd also have to show the shit in the digestive tract and all the other trash in the human body.

Trick r Treat is one of the few post-2000 horror flicks that I enjoy. It's a lot of fun.

Is there any horror where a woman being coerced into ritual sacrifice is the main focal point?

Yeah I caught myself right after I made the post.

Shadow of the Vampire is gr8m8

Didn't like Fright Night

lords of salem sorta

I gave Nosferatu 1922 a try because it was hyped as fuck by everyone and it was actually a terrible movie. Thank you for the list, I will look into it, but we clearly have completely different preferneces.

Sean Pertwee is fucking great in everything he is in, he should be a bigger star. Not seen this but I will go find it, Dog Soldiers is kino.

>You are literally shitting on decades of progress in technologies, techniques, experience and budget increases.
We're literally in the Nintendo 64 era of the movie industry. Right now we're still in a shit period where everything is computer generated and looks fake whereas something like Blade Runner which came out 35 years ago looks better than something like the new Pacific Rim that's coming out. Also how the fuck are you going to complain about old shit when you named Van Helsing as one of your favorite vampire movies. You are literally the biggest hypocrite and your argument is weak and filled with flaws.

Damnit, I knew I was missing something. James Woods IS great in that.

childhood boner kino

>and it was actually a terrible movie.
How does it feel being underage? It's one thing to say it wasn't your thing, but to actually call it terrible is downright laughable

That movie was plagued by studio notes. I feel bad that they wouldnt let him do what he wanted.

>/hor/ recommends Jacob's Ladder
>it's literally a IT AIN'T ME movie
>nothing scary about it at all

>something like Blade Runner which came out 35 years ago looks better than something like the new Pacific Rim that's coming out.

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

finally watching the witch

Reminder to avoid 30 Days of Night. I should really just make a new one at this point. What should replace it?

Speaking of Fearless Vampire Killers, that movie is aesthetic as fuck. One of the best looking movies ever made.

Well, all I can say is every single time I listen to Sup Forums and try an old movie I am sorely disappointed. There are some great old movies and there are a shitton of terrible new movies but most of my favorite movies overall are post 2000 and even shitty movies today look visually better because I am not alergic to high resolution and CGI.

>not recognizing that the only real horror is the violence of man

what's up with no Låt den rätte komma in?

underage b8

I guarantee you if that movie was released in 2017 nobody would even care about it. The only reason people pretend it was good is because it's an old movie.

Turn off your phone, turn off Sup Forums. It's an atmospheric movie so if you try to sit around and meme during it you'll lose the effect. You need to get into it.

that end fight was awful

>even shitty movies today look visually better because I am not alergic to high resolution and CGI.
You should just stick to pixar movies then. practically the same exact thing.

idk like The Transfiguration or Raw (which is only vampire-ish) probably

It's a shit movie.

do people actually enjoy browsing 4chain in mobile form?

for you

Herzog's Nosferatu is the far superior version

The only time I browse on mobile is when I am on the way to some place, be it gym, uni, work, whatever and too bored to do anything else.

Agreed. Both are fine though