Can video games equal movie storytelling?

Hi, Sup Forums. I wanted to ask a question I've been wondering. My favorite game series is Final Fantasy. I like the games for their complexity, emotional weight, and fantastical yet very paralleled universes. I wanted to know how do you think they compare to movies and tv story-wise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C0t7-CPvUuk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some can. Video games have the power to increase immersion in a world/story that movies can't.
The Last of Us is one of the best movies I've ever played.

I really like that game too as well as the Uncharted series and Witcher

I'd like to say Halo: Reach told a good story, but I realised all of the storytelling in the game was done in the cutscenes.

Yes, some can, certainly not a final fantasy game, but some can.

>certainly not a final fantasy game
t. brainlet that can't into metaphysical melodrama

Games are made for morons these days.

You cant expect them to have any more than a story for morons.

That's what happens when industries expand. And game development costs a lot of money, but Last Guardian, Final Fantasy, and Witcher prove not every developer has sacrificed quality in the pursuit of big bucks.

two different mediums. dumb argument.

>FFXIII

it doesn't matter what you're talking about my guy

kys

>Final Fantasy XIII is too confusing for me

>I can't hardly read books but them anime videogames sure is compellin

Games have the potential for complex storytelling, but most titles in that medium are rehashed garbage or just plain bad examples of artsy games.

Video games aren't NOT art, they're just really bad art.

There's a lot of reading in XIII, especially if you want to even understand the story. But I know that was too hard for you judging by your tone.

>but most titles in that medium are rehashed garbage
Same can be said for books and movies, perhaps doubly so.

I unironically think that being involved in the progress of the story like video games have you is way more engaging than anything film can do
I can enjoy a movie and appreciate the artistry or whatever, but I can't genuinely say I've been sucked into and immersed by a film since I was a kid

You're more participatory in a game as opposed to passive. Physically AND mentally

Except with film, it took just 2 decades for D.W. Griffith to come and change everything.

Video games have been around for longer than that and there hasn't really been anything transcendent to be released to date. They succeed in entertainment, but artwise there's more to be desired.

videogames are for children
grow up

Reminder.

>not knowing Smithsonian games as art exhibit
>not knowing the first art game
You don't know your history. You're not worth anyone's time. Also, DW Griffith is a bad director

These don't look like children.
youtube.com/watch?v=C0t7-CPvUuk
I don't see anybody doing this for comic books, yet Sup Forums loves those.