Is Harrison Ford actually a good actor? He just seems to show up and look uncomfortable on screen

Is Harrison Ford actually a good actor? He just seems to show up and look uncomfortable on screen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lcPRbke-hxI?t=162
youtube.com/watch?v=cyTXWaQkCuE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's another.

Hes bad in Blade Runner, great in Star Wars

Some years ago I've watched Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Blade Runner within one week for the first time in my life and holy shit do I hate that smirk now

He's an okay actor. Memed because he's in everyone's favorite childhood movies and plebs can't distinguish between personal feelings and objective assessment.

He just makes faces like these and comes off as unmotivated.

I think he's just a natural on screen, I guess you could call that talent but skill doesn't really have anything to do with it. Its a weird mixture of charisma and nonchalance that brings his characters to life, even if they are somewhat similar

i thought he was really good in blade runner, star wars, and indiana jones but he really just plays the same character in every movie. not really a method actor but i think theres something to be said for that style of acting where you play characters that you are a natural fit for. its a very sincere style of cinema

His subtle performances in star wars, empire, raiders, blade runner 2049 and the last crusade are great stuff.

However he tends to overact, put on these cartoonish expressions that are perfect for gifs or anime. It's all he does in blade runner and jedi.

He's like Jack Nicholson now. Just plays himself.

His peers in the 80's seemed to think very highly of him as an actor.

He's kinda wooden in Blade Runner but it adds to the character, if you ask me. He's supposed to be burnt out.

The scene where he tells Rachel her memories are just implants is probably the only piece of genuinely good acting from him in the movie.

He's the US version of Sean Connery. Popular for being in popular movies but can't really act.

not really

he had a certain level of skill that brought his characters to life. part of it was his looks, his charisma and the way he spoke that brought those rough type of characters he played seem more real.

i cant imagine who could pull that off today. like what actor is really going to do young han solo justice?

He's an excellent actor that plays in films with awful scripts unfortunately.

I think that's more of a credit to casting directors/directors, I.E. the people who gave Denzel a career.
I'll always wonder if hiring Ford to play Deckard was a good choice, since the garbage movie script had absolutely nothing for Deckard to do, or if it was a cheap way to try and get the Lucas bucks.
Probably a bit of both I imagine.

Harrison Ford has been in good movies, although it is a pretty damn apt comparison otherwise.

He was shy as fuck. If you watch The Conversation, his acting is cringe worthy.

Accurate

They should've casted someone a bit more 'schlubby' as Deckard. For example, I think Dustin Hoffman was one of the choices they had and I think he would've been perfect.

In the 80's he tried for some time. I thought he was good in Witness. Apart from that, he mostly just seems to be there for the paycheck.

Does he even like acting?

>He just seems to show up and look uncomfortable on screen.
Need those people too. If it works, it works. Nothing wrong with it

still the best performance in 2049 along with the daughter, his last scene was pretty decent.

Anybody who is young and attractive, which makes you wonder why they cast whatever the fuck that guy's name is... or why they made the movie at all. I mean is Han Solo iconic? Of course. Is he a character worth reviving to tell some generic origin story? For money, I guess.
Star Wars is easily one of Ford's worst movies, and not because of his performance.

I thought he was actually decent in Blade Runner.

He's been phoning it in for decades but I felt he actually tried in 2049.

How exactly does one notice acting ability? Unless someone is really hamming it up I've never spotted bad acting in movies. (Is it autism?)

>Is Harrison Ford actually a good actor?
No, because nobody really demanded that from him.

This would have worked great if Deckard was anything like book Deckard, which is why I think they went with Ford.
Imagine Ford fumbling through his Sidney's, admiring an ostrich.

it was an easier paycheck than being a carpenter so i think he likes it just fine

he just doesnt like the celebrity side of it so it makes him look cynical and jaded

let me guess... Star Wars had a terrible script and the lines were so hard for the actors to deliver

The daughter was great, don't even know her name.
Ford was actually half decent, but he was easily the worst part (Deckard) and the script was hot garbage.
Honestly, nobody in this movie got to act and everybody seemed like a soulless robot, not even a replicant. Goose has -that- scene but it was undermined by the stupidity of the story, as was his forced death scene.

Dave unironically was the best actor in the flick.

he was a good fit in blade runner

>The Empire Milks back
>Return of the Milking
Definitely had terrible scripts.

he's bad in both, ok in indiana jones, better in real films

>Connery can't act

kys

Go watch The Conversation where he plays a faggot. That was before Star wars, Indy, and all that crap.

His reputation precedes him now. He just shows up on set and does Harrison Ford things

Have you ever seen Jennifer Lawrence or Emilia Clarke acting?

He's a good actor when he tries. He just hasn't had to try in years.

He got close in BR2049, and actually showed some real human emotion for once, but it was still sub-tier compared to his early performances. The fact is that he commands millions per appearance and doesn't even have to try, so why would he?

If you trace the behind the scenes scoop on those movies, it becomes clear that he only overacts as you describe when he's unhappy with the project or doesn't care about it.

When he gets invested in a role or syncs up with a director (which happened on the original Star Wars, Empire, BR2049, and all the Indy movies), he puts actual effort into his performance and does a good job.

He's not a great actor, but he is good... but only when he tries.

he's in a movie called mosquito coast where he's not indy/han, much to my disappointment as a child

He's just a jew who had incredible luck in the 70's/80s, starring in the most bankable franchises. But yes he's bad, everybody can see that now.

what was the last time he tried?

He's like Clint Eastwood. The kind of actors who just about fit in any movie, are sympathetic in some inexplicable way, and carry enough momentum from earlier performances to push through even really bad films without the shit sticking to them. Better actors than them lack this quality. Then every once in a while they hit the jackpot script and director who can create the film around them. I think the original BR was THE perfect role for Ford. I think that's Harrison Ford the actor and his other roles had been exaggerations of this character.

youtu.be/lcPRbke-hxI?t=162
What did Ford mean by this?

Other then BR2049? I don't even know. Last Crusade is the last one that comes to mind.

>plays a uncomfortable and disgruntled detective who hunts andies
>whats him to be quiping and joking on screen

this is no Indiana Jones, buddy.

This. I am amazed people think Deckard is Indy.

he pretty much played the same character every time, except in SW and Indiana Jones there are comedic setups for him and in other films he's just somber

Ford is one of those actors that regrets getting into the business.
Never gives a shit in any of his interviews.

It's funny watching him squirm

I think his wisecracking rogue roles in the original star wars as well as indiana jones were pretty good. Were they perfect acting? Perhaps not, no ones perfect. But they were certainly entertaining and he put effort into it.
youtube.com/watch?v=cyTXWaQkCuE