Lamenting the death of German cinema

There are exceptions of course, but it's pretty undeniable that German cinema is a shadow of its former self: it's so oversaturated with subsidiary money economically, and self-absorbed / congratulatory thematically that any creative spark is snuffed out. It has the worst of both worlds, the elitism of arthouse and the low-effort mentality of Hollywood mega studios. Sure, Wenders, Fassbender, Tykwer, Herzog and Haneke (two of whom don't even work in Germany) make something good every once in a while but once they retire there'll be nothing left. Japan and France struggle too but their decline is a blunder next to the German travesty.

I think the last good German films I've seen were Oh Boy and Zeit der Kannibalen (which nobody has seen).

I didn't enjoy Toni Erdmann. I can see the appeal, but cringe humor just doesn't click with me, to me it felt like watching an incredibly pretentious version of the office (or Stromberg, to stay in Germany).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_0DhriSwg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_(Bad)_Weddings
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's sad indeed. But honestly it's not like any other 'cultural' industry is better off around here these days.
Cinema sucks.
Television sucks.
Music all just shitty rap.
Even the video game industry managed to die.

It's like anything that remotely requires creativity is doomed.

>cultural industry
Shoo, shoo, back to the grave, Adorno. You and your Frankfurt buddies have done enough damage.

In all honesty though, you're pretty much right.
I feel like television has been getting better but can't make up for the decline in cinema. Manga's still fine as an art form, haha.

>German Cinema

Yeah, I heard SAT1 and RTL produced some okay recently.

The absolute state of television and film

Redditor.

I lament the death of Germany tbqh

I blame the 1871 unification under Prussia for all of this.

I have high hopes for pic related.
What are the chances of there being torrents for it? Fuck sky, they are the worst cable company in history.

>ARD
Nope.jpg

There were only two periods of good German cinema: Weimar Republic and New German Cinema. Modern European cinema in general sucks, it's too globalized and samey. I guess this is the reason why Asian cinema became so popular in recent years.

Well, at least the French are still making okay things sometimes.

>He doesn't like pre-ww1 German cinema, classics like Nosferatu and Die Nibelungen

poser

Adorno was right about everything though

Jamaika coallition will fix it :^)

Nosferatu and Die Nibelungen are from 1920s (Weimar period).

Fack ju OP

GEZ needs to be terminated already.

Lola is one of the most annoying things I've ever tried to watch. Couldn't get myself to watch more than 20 minutes. Absolute dogshit.

That always has been the case in western Europe.
Cinema is view by the industry as an art not a bussiness and it needs tax money to survive.

Run Lola Run should have starred Bill Murray and just been called Groundhog's Day 2

I'm French and have the exact same feeling about our industry, or the Italians. Hollywood has swallowed us whole.

>Modern European cinema in general sucks
>French cinema is underproducing
>Italian cinema might as well not exist
I blame the americans cranking up the budgets to infinity just because they can, and throwing their blockbusters everywhere to globalize the standards of the audiences.

Absolutely.
Their tv content is so superior, it's astonishing. I think German and UK television might be the worst in all of Europe despite having dedicated tax police (license and GEMA) raking in BILLIONS of dollars. It's not even corruption, just incompetence, which makes it even more pathetic.

>man laments death of culture, something unique in human history

Even if that is the case. Not so long ago Western Europe still made pretty cool movies.

Eh, ups and downs. Every now and then, German cinema brings something greatly entertaining to the table (I still haven't gotten over how intense 'Das Leben der Anderen' was), but the industry itself is just not big enough. With that small sample size, fluctuations in the quality are just within normal noise levels.

There are some good co-productions out there, e.g. 'Land of Mine' comes to mind.

The Japanese and Koreans still manage to create decent movies despite lower budgets and Hollywood bombarding everybody with blockbusters.
I feel it's more of an issue with European cinema not knowing what they actually want to be. So they just wallow in mediocrity.

>most popular film series of recent memory is LITERALLY called fuck you Goethe

Even through all the layers of irony, I still feel insulted. And everybody embraces it. It's like watching the cultural revolution in slow motion, except there's no Mao shouting slogans, just static noise.

What is it about?

so that's where my cuck fee money went

Europe still makes good movies, but it feels like they lost their identity. Many films are also coproductions.

German-Turk 'gangsta' hides money in a school, and after a while has to fake being a teacher in order to get the money. Falls in love with one of the teachers.

German rom-com. Has it's moments, but average at very best and cringes all the way through.

Is this Germankino?

*ding ding ding*

what is he pulling out of there?

they still make good movies, they're just not that frequent

Even with all the incompetence at least we used to get some decent historic movies like Stalingrad, Das Boot, Downfall and such. Nowadays even those stopped popping.
I'm still salty that the best content about German Middle Ages out there are two fucking episodes of Die Deutschen despite how interesting the setting could be.

It helps that France prides itself as the country of cinema, so they gotta do some good shit now and then. But it's still mostly shitty comedies, thrillers and dramas.

The real problem is the dearth of genuinely good german film directors

Fun fact: Thousands of wealthy, creative and intellectual people are leaving the country, more than usual.
I´m glad I have a bit of real estate I can sell if things get too bad here....and they will, if there isn´t a drastic change in government/politics in the next decade.

Give it some

Meet the German director of the future

I'm not a nationalist, but I would like more GOOD nationalist movies based on national epics or poems. But they have to be made by competent directors, not by right-wing nuts like in Russia or Poland.

This movie is an anomaly of production. You can't imagine how much Gans struggled to convince French producers to fund this. And even after it was a box office hit all over Europe, he couldn't get any of his follow-up projects to get funded. It's depressing, because he tries really hard to start projects with a really specific French/European flavor (for examples: Jules Vernes, Diabolik, Fantomas...) but European producers don't want to take risks with these kind of films that don't follow an established international formula. Meanwhile Hollywood producers keep asking these young, ambitious European filmmakers whenever one emerges to go work for them, even if they would like to create specific projects, how should one feel when he's treated as a bum in his own country while Hollywood promises you dreams of huge budgets and creative freedom? It's insane. As a French cinephile who loves my country's cultural history, it makes me butthurt to see stuff like Planet of the Apes which is based on a French author, or Mad Max Fury Road, Snowpiercer or Blade Runner, which are derivative of French sci-fi comic books like Métal Hurlant, but our producers are unwilling to recognize that ambitious genre fiction is part of our legacy, and it takes foreign industries to adapt such material.

fucking retard, kek

>Fuck you, Goethe
>Turkish German director
It's probably just a dumb comedy, but it's still insulting.

The problem with German cultural life in general is that the Nazis killed off the old one, replaced it with their version, the Allies then killed off the Nazi version but didn't bother replacing it, so the vacuum was never really filled, just partly through American cultural produce.

right now without using google or bing or whatever the fuck you normies use
>name 3 important german directors
>name 5 important german films that did something for either german cinema or cinema in general
>name 6 renonwed german actors, can be male or female.

fuck germany and fuck europe in general, but especially fuck sweden. what the fuck is up with swedes that everything they produce is absolute fucking garbage. I bet bergman is rolling in his grave right now seeing the absolute state of sverike

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_0DhriSwg

as a German I can tell you that our entire entertainment industry is just fucked to shit. I don't really know why that is the case when japan is doing just fine even though they also got fucked to shit in WW2 and have old people out of their ass everywhere

>Die Deutschen
>"Wer sind wir?"
>"Woher kommen wir?"

Get a little dust in my eye every time. I wish patriotism was allowed outisde of Fussball WM. That image of Merkel hiding the German flag at that press conference makes us look like a laughing stock.

>GeRmAn cInEmA iS DeAd

what are you talking about?

that movie was released just a year ago, and that was one of the best german films of the last, I don't know, 30 past years?

German cinema is definitely not dead.

Japanese cinema is pretty JUST as well.

I watched Oh Boy and it was fun

>Speed Racer
>Cloud Atlas
>now Valerian
>all massive bombs

Big budget European film productions will be dead for at least a decade.

irony aside this is just a cheap copy of one of these french ethno "comedies" they churn out by the dozens every year, you know like the one where the right wing dude's daughters all marry non-whites, even the poster looks like these.

play this game with any european country besides France

at the very least japan still produces weeb shit, have you seen what children programming in germany looks like? they just import bad CGI remakes of classic series from france and call it a day.

I liked the first season intro desu. Second one went a bit overboard with three characters in a row yelling for democracy, for freedom and for the republic one after the other.

Hi /lit/, what have sou been reading today? I just started journey to the end of the night, loving satiric tone.

it's funny how it's the movies that had it difficult finding a production company to fund it that succeeds the most

I bet Merkel is behind this as well.

besides france, italy, spain and maybe the UK if I'm being generous.
I refuse to give any credits to the bullshit romanian cinema keeps pumping out. fuck that too.

It doesn't help that instead of producing something like District 9 which costed about 30-40 millions they go for the super expensive 200millions budget.

It's a resurgence of the Heimatfilm in the guise of comedy.
Not neccessarily a bad thing, but let's not kid ourselves, it's just shallow enterntainment, not genuine filmmaking.

Working my way through Hypnerotomachia. How's the whining going?

>you know like the one where the right wing dude's daughters all marry non-whites
source? I want to watch this.

What's your plan B? Switzerland? Eastern Europe? Canada?

Like every second big movie is pro refugee propaganda now
JUST
FUCK
MY
SHIT
UP
SENPAI

>several decades of bonkers comic books to chose from
>movie adaptation of the Incal or Les Cités Obscures
>N E V E R
It would be so wierd there's no way it could work and that's the point
Also, what the shit happened to french animation? We used to be pretty good at that too.

Don't bother, it's trash and not even "so bad it's good".

I've heard good things about Phoenix (Christian Petzold).

nevermind, I found it

fucking french cucks

What about it?
Whenever I see cartoons on tv it's either American, Japanese or French productions.

French animation is still pretty good.

The Brits still have a decent output. I mean you can count stuff like pic related as Brit films yes?

Germany is dead. What is "german" culture? beer? It's just some shitty "german" version of American culture now (plus a healthy serving of third worlders (but that is part of American culture too I guess)).

This isn't a good thing. Just a fact.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_(Bad)_Weddings

>Claude Verneuil, a Gaullist notary, and his wife Marie, a Catholic bourgeois from Chinon, are parents of four daughters: Isabelle, Odile, Ségolène, and Laure. The three eldest are already married to men, each one of a different religion and a different ethnic origin: Isabelle married Rashid Ben Assem, an Algerian Muslim lawyer, Odile married David Benichou, a Sephardi Jew entrepreneur, and Ségolène married Chao Ling, a Han Chinese banker who is open to all religious beliefs.
>On the first meeting, however, they are shocked when they discover that the man to whom their daughter is engaged is a West African from the Ivory Coast.
They really went all in with that one

THIS
It's infuriating to no end to see retards now praising the nazis for "protecting culture" when all they did was burn books and painting, ban plays and movies they didn't like (sometimes destroying some movies too) and submit cultural production to strict censorship based on everchanging standards of purity.
And the void hasn't really been filled ever since as the german artists and intellectual largely left for the USA.

and they gave the swedes the bad rap lmao

*blocks everyone's path*

>It's just some shitty "german" version of American culture now
Most of the world is like that.

>Clavier
At least he didn't end like Depardieu.

the nazis produced some real kino though

A year or so ago, there was a comedy about a lefty intellectual ending up "welcoming refugees" in his expensive property after saying on TV everyone (else) should do so.
It has been universally paned, but I wonder if it's because it's just shit or if it's because "muh racism and xenophobia" or maybe because it hit too close to home for the people usually reviewing our films

Nazi cinema was a shadow of Weimar cinema.

Well, just passing the time, you know. Plenty fellow whinners here tonight. Attempting a serious discussion or some kind of effort on Sup Forums is pointless, anyway. Wouldn't know where to go in real life either. Maybe Uni used to be the place, but not anymore. I've grown content with escapsim.

Something like that. I´ll have to wait and see. Living here is just incredibly frustrating right now. I can´t imagine starting a family here.
The funny thing is, most germans who praise our beer just drink the shittiest, watered-down pisswater available.

The point was that the Nazis produced their own form of culture. Whether or not you agree with it doesn't really matter. What came after them is the big nothing though.

are you talking about this? > A well-off Munich family offers boarding to a refugee. Diallo from Nigeria soon makes friends among the family members, but they are tested when they have to face racism, bureaucracy and terror suspicions because of him.

it has similiar plot

Maybe in shitholes like Berlin. Still bretty alive here down South.

No, New German Cinema was better in every way than what the Nazis produced. And there was definitely West and East German culture.

Never forget.

I haven't seen a german movie since Das Boot (which was godly), have I missed anything ?

Not if you believe in auteur theory. And Noaln most definitely seems himself as an auteur with all his ramblings about Kubrick and the silent era. So no, not really.

are they still making asterix live action films? I feel like they can't do shit like this nowadays with current political climate.

Best film I've seen this year was a French-German collab mostly set in Germany, Frantz (2016).

Downfall