Is this the most unconvincing portrayal of a straight man ever on TV...

Is this the most unconvincing portrayal of a straight man ever on TV? The scenes with his "girlfriend" are laughable and his voice is gay the entire time.

Other urls found in this thread:

philly.com/philly/entertainment/television/mindhunter-netflix-john-douglas-jonathan-groff-btk-20171019.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it is the most unconvincing portrayal of a human being ever on tv. I don't believe a single word he is saying. Crappy acting.

what is with this show? Dialogue and exposition is on so low level i couldn't believe, and it is not just like my opinion, man. There are things in this that are widely considered as flaws, but people doesn't seem to care in this case. Why?

for example: i get it that creators wants to tell us something, but why are they doing this in such a forced unnatural way like this dialogue with this fella in the bar, and next with this chick in the bar and so on?

i felt like they treating me like i was a retard that needs some straight to face explanation in such a bullshit way.

I honestly don't know. I'm not a snob but the acting is absurdly wooden. The writing doesn't help either, both make the characters seem fake.

He's a confirmed cuck who loves eating his bulls creampie out of Debbies snatch

Should I give this show a try? Is it True Detective S1 level?

The worst part is he isn't called out for being weird enough. Nobody at any point stops him and tells him he's a weird fucker. Which also convinces me it's awful writing + acting. He's not like a real person at all.

It's nowhere near true detective season 1

I thought we were supposed to get a serial killer vibe from him

Why is it that there are never straight people with the "gay voice". If you hear that nasal voice you instantly know they are queer.

No. But it is comfy, and the interview scenes are kino.

Instead he just comes across as a homo trying to hide his gay from the FBI.

>Is this the most unconvincing portrayal of a straight man ever on TV?
no

Yeah I found it distracting as fuck. I didn't even know the actor was gay before watching the first episode but could tell immediately that something was off. I've never seen such little chemistry between a guy and a girl on screen. All of their scenes together are fucking awful.

True Detetctive season 1 is way better but Mindhunter is still pretty good. I'd recommend you watch it.

Yes, best tv series from this year

I really didn't notice that at all, his relationship felt fine to me. Makes me feel like a retard that everybody has noticed it except for me.

I have a naturally nasally voice and a slight lisp when I talk too quickly and I'm straight. People have actually asked me if I was gay though. Feels bad man

Felt a bit like this as well. So much of the dialogue could have been cut but they seemed to think the audience needed to be told what they're seeing, again and again. I also noticed that whenever a secondary character says something important, Bill and Holden always gave each other a look. This happened over and over again. Like we needed a cue that was just said is meaningful. It got really tedious.

That kid with the really gay lisp on Modern Family who is always "chasing girls"

It's not on TD s1's level, but in a lot of ways it's the spiritual successor. Lots of focus on two partners. Lots of car conversations.

The first scene they had together in the bar felt off to me but then it gradually improved to me. To the point where i was dissapointed when Holden suddenly forgave her with no explanation only for their relationship to end again.

I don't think her acting ever improved, if anything it got worse

Yeah the show definitely plays with this idea. His gf cheating on him was a parallel of the serial killers' "stressors". By the end of the season he's more at home in the interview rooms with the psychos than he is with his colleagues.

Me neither desu, they spent a lot of time making sure we knew he was a goody two shoes nerdy type so I thought it was fine. The girlfriend was pretty lacking though

I would too if my colleagues were gonna arrest me for saying cunt

Anyone else think the first episode was weak as fuck? I really enjoyed the rest but I wouldn't have continued to watch if Fincher wasn't attached. Ep 1 just wasn't compelling at all to me; I thought it did an awful job at setting up the rest of the season.

Don't be stupid OP. I look and sound just like him and have only sucked like 3 cocks.

Fucking idiot.

I didn't even know he was gay until Sup Forums said so.

Mindhunter is about an autistic fag doing interviews to edgy criminals

Yes but there's goody two shoes and then there's just a ridiculous cliche of it. Goody two shoes=/= semi personality disorder tier autistic

John E. Douglas (whose Holden is based on) talks about Groff's performance:

>“I think he’s doing a great job,” he said of Groff, who also played King George III in Broadway’s Hamilton. The actor, he noted, has captured what he’s been told is his own tendency to be soft-spoken in some situations.

philly.com/philly/entertainment/television/mindhunter-netflix-john-douglas-jonathan-groff-btk-20171019.html

What do we think about the tuna and the cat?

Hmm, looking back it was pretty stale. I just thought it was part of her character.

Yeah, it was. Holden gave off the impression that he was a naive autist. It wasn't until the second episode that I started to get where Fincher was taking his character.

It's heavily implied that he's a psychopath as well.

me too. just seemed like an awkward dude to me

It was heavily implied he was a NEET pretending to be an FBI officer

>i can't let these guys rub off on me

i just binged this whole series and still need a crime drama itch scratched. Can anyone recommend me some must see crime thrillers?

underrated post

Zodiac was good. I'm looking for more stuff too.

American Vandal

thin blue line
that was actually what got me interested in mindhunter

I know a guy who sounds super gay, but has had several girlfriends. I mean, he could be hiding it, but still.

I watched a trailer and was convinced that his character is supposed to be gay. He still has the mannerisms, and the baby face doesn't help.

>Zodiac
seen zodiac, seven, etc.. looking for something more recent or niche i guess

looking for something more visceral than wrongful conviction. Something more violent or gory/unsettling.

>drawing dicks on cars
premise doesn't interest me

>Holden is an autist like the serial killers
Exactly. Mindhunter is the most unironically misunderstood series on Sup Forums. The theme is that Holden is arising, a new type of detective, right as new types of killers are. Both are detached, both deviate from the era's traditional idea of masculinity. The theme is fighting fire with fire, which is why Holden's partner is slightly offput by him, but realizes it's the future.

Holden represents a social void that becomes America right at its formation. The show is heavy on dialogue because Fincher is the OG of grisly serial killer fare, this is him correcting course, bucking the trends he started. The dialogue also abides by the time period, these are precise straight laced professionals who need to chew on thoughts and opinions again and again as they face the unknown.

Another eerie observation is that serial killers are becoming a thing again on the news. Look at the one in Tampa. You have Mindhunter and Tarantino's Manson project and now it's happening again IRL. As forecasted?

Manhunter, Unsolved Mysteries on Amazon Prime, Blow Out, To Live & Die in LA, Red Riding Trilogy, Night of the Hunter, Kalifornia, that recent flick with Nic Cage and Elijah Wood was surprisingly good, The Normal Life w Ashley Judd is cult crime kino

there are some homo serial killers

Or it's almost as though these sorts of shows "inspire" people to LARP as the fictional characters they're watching on TV

There would be less murderers in the world if we made less shows and movies that glorified murder

>if we made less shows
If they made fewer shows
ftfy

>There would be less murderers in the world if we made less shows and movies that glorified murder

The world was far more violent before the invention of TV and cinema.

More like I can't let these guys rub me off, am I right?

I watched the first episode. The acting is horrendous, particularly the main character. Not sure if I'm going to continue.

I meant "we"

The world is becoming less violent, but these shows are not helping

These two - Zodiac is by Fincher also

I was kind of thinking he is super robotic to make him seem like a serial killer himself. You see a lot of that like his thing with the feet, like he has the tendencies but never became deviant. Thats the only explanation i could think of