/trek/

Captain's ready room edition

Cause and Effect is a great episode.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1o2TIHfsGGc
youtu.be/s4BZz4_ieIc?t=485
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why did McFadden leave for a year? And why was Pulaski never mentioned again?

>why did McFadden leave for a year
youtube.com/watch?v=1o2TIHfsGGc
>why was Pulaski never mentioned again
I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet her character was extremely unpopular and no one cared about her. McFadden has also said that while the second season was airing the studio got a lot of fan mail complaining about Crusher's departure, so apparently people wanted her back.

star trek is terrible why the fuck are you making these threads

Hmm, that's very interesting, user.

I think it was Beverly that gave me my redhead fetish. As I kid watching her back in the day, I had a hard crush on that woman.

Kes was such a whore.

Tell me about your sexual organs

One of the saddest episodes by far.

> Why did McFadden leave for a year?

She has verbal abused and sexually harassed on set by Maurice Hurley who didn't think she belonged on the show or had any business being an actor and wanted her gone so he made her life miserable. Plus all the women were sexually harassed in season 1 at one point or another.

>And why was Pulaski never mentioned again?

She was. Her mind wipe technique was mentioned and named after her and Moriarty specifically wanted to know if she was around when Barclay brought him back.

Pulaski wasn't popular with the fans, she didn't get along with the cast even though Jnonathan Frakes, Micheal Dorn, and Brent Spiner were all especially easygoing and friendly on set and the only reason she took the role was to work with Gene Roddenberry again because they were friends but by then Gene had a diminishing role, his health was failing and he was on uppers and downers all the time. Season 2 also had a lot of the same problems with writing and direction as season 1 and most of the cast didn't find it enjoyable but she found it unacceptable. Diana Muldaur quit and never regretted it.

Kes was a cock tease to the doctor.

How DS9 dodged several bullets.

Alexander Siddig was originally cast as Sisko but ultimately decided that he was too young to play a father figure. Fan reception for Bashir in the early seasons and throughout the early seasons was overwhelmingly negative as Bashir was obnoxious and came off as an incompetent idiot. Paramount really wanted them to kill off Bashir and replace him with anyone else but Michael Piller and Ira Steven Behr insisted on keeping Bashir and making him an augment to address fan complaints as he matured as a character.

Avery Brooks didn't even really want the job but they kept accomodating his schedule and making arrangements for him to audition that he finally gave the show a shot and only took the role because he wasn't an alien and he really wanted to be a Black father figure role model and liked Sisko's relationship with Jake.

Ro Laren and O'Brien were slated to be the familiar faces but Michelle Forbes had no interest in doing another Trek series so an expy of hers was made to be Kira. The writers were thankful that they had much more flexibility in writing Kira than they would have doing Ro in hindsight. They also wanted a character to fight with the rest of the crew and putting a bajoran terrorist as the first officer accomplished that.

O'Brien's past with Cardassians wasn't really a consideration for bringing his character over but the fact that they decided to make Cardassians the initial antagonist coincidentally worked out Him being married to Keiko did too, because the writers were sick of how little conflict the characters had in TNG and wanted arguments.

Gul Dukat was written as a very flat, stupid villain but Marc Alaimo put enough unscripted subtext through use of body language the writers picked up on when deciding where to take his character..

Odo was slated to be like Dirty Harry but meaner and Rene Auberjonois decided to do his take and the creators of the show decided to throw out what they had for Auberjonoi' \

Originally Dax was going to be the handicappable Melora but the show couldn't afford to do zero G special effects so they went with Dax instead.

The Ferengi were cast primarily by height.

Winn Adami was originally not going to become Kai but the writers thought it'd be too boring having an understanding, reasonable Kai bareil after getting rid of Kai Opaka.

Garak was written in the early seasons to be as open-ended as possible but Andrew Robinson heavily contributed to what he wanted Garak to be and act and the only thing he didn't get was for him to be bisexual.

I've never wanted to jump through my tv screen just to fuck a fictional character before.

>incompetent idiot
he didn't come off as incompetent to me

it's not like he was in a stage in his programming evolution where that was even a possible reaction for him

I sense anger and frustration at not being able to understand the themes involved.

Star Trek is not only about OldTrek

>and the only thing he didn't get was for him to be bisexual
Bashirfaggot BTFO

It is when discovery has nothing to offer us.

My only hope for STD is that since they apparently planned on making each season a separate story in a separate context, the next season will be about the life and time of Kurzon Dax.

Does dax show up in STD ? or anyone form previous treks.

Only Sarek does for what I know and I haven't watched the last couple episodes. Don't really plan to. It just isn't interesting or engaging, none of the characters are likeable and all that happens makes me mad because it's canon-rape.
I don't have much hope of seeing any of the less recognizable species either.

They have a great idea for the season 2 in Star Trek DIS.

6 episode of season 1 and the quality is top.

Tom Paris' actor (Robert Duncan McNeill) also directed the second episode of Orville.

Brannon Braga, director of the 3rd episode was Executive Producer on TNG, VOY and ENT.

James L. Conway who directed episode 4 worked on all post-TOS/TAS series.

Frakes directed 5th.

The writer for episode 6 previously wrote for Enterprise.

>5/6 Episodes had Star Trek veterans behind the wheel
And yet, some people still pretend like the Orville is something completely detached from Trek.

>Alexander Siddig was originally cast as Sisko but ultimately decided that he was too young to play a father figure. Fan reception for Bashir in the early seasons and throughout the early seasons was overwhelmingly negative as Bashir was obnoxious and came off as an incompetent idiot. Paramount really wanted them to kill off Bashir and replace him with anyone else but Michael Piller and Ira Steven Behr insisted on keeping Bashir and making him an augment to address fan complaints as he matured as a character.

The funny thing with this today it's often the opposite complaint, Bashir is fun and likable until he becomes a Augment then he just becomes moody, obnoxious and unlikable.

Why not. It would be cool to see some trills.

>the universe has a bunch of mushroom particles floating around
>for some reason this is faster than creating a warp bubble

>And yet, some people still pretend like the Orville is something completely detached from Trek.

Orville is dumb, vulgar and ugly. It's the opposite of Star Trek. Stop forcing this meme, nobody cares about Orville.

Bashir would have been a lot more fun if they kept going with the idea that he is an unprepared diploma grinder who wanted to go on an adventure all of a sudden. But that sort of stopped at season 2. Making him an augment felt so shoehorned.
The O'Brien/Bashir broship was top-tier though.

that's not how it works. First, the roots of this mushroom are in subspace. They use these roots as " highways ".

The Orville and STD are the two sides of the same coin.
They are the wto different kinds of fan-made material.
The one that takes itself far too seriously and tries to make Star Trek more "serious" in the most simplistic way, which really defeats the purpose.
And the one that just wants to recreate more of the fun moments and thus fails to see that comedy adventure is a very volatile mix and the comedy often ends up taking over.

Dumb, vulgar and ugly.

just FUCK OFF dude

Galaxy Quest or Star Trek: Nemesis. Which do you prefer?

There's generals for STD and Orville up right now. Why don't you faggots talk about them there?

Kurzon was Kahless before joining with Dax after Dax prematurely seperated from Sarek but before Dax refused to join with Michael because Dax wasn't worthy
K I N O
I
N
O

begone before some hack writer sees this and decides it's actually a good idea because all they can come up with is characters saying "IT'S NOT RIGHT" and spaceships shooting at each other

youtu.be/s4BZz4_ieIc?t=485

>ywn get the chance to buy Bashir's stepgrandad's German copy of Meinkampf signed by Hitler.

he's a very charming individual.

>tfw my last cozy thread got sharted up by americans reeing about politics
never do that again, hear me. Only Dukat and fat Riker memes allowed here

The Riker memers are having a fondue party, they're not coming back any time soon.
What do you think the standard issue Federation mobility scooters look like?

you forgot about Mudd and Kor

also there's a shout out to Archer and Pike

I'd say like the ones Pike was in on The Menagerie, but when you start getting fatter and fatter, those things need to get bigger as well, so it's pointless. Maybe they're more like what the Baron in Dune had, you know, those anti-gravity thingies that made him float and pounce around. I'd like to see Riker in one.

Crusher mentions Dr. Polaski's mind wiping technique in Who Watches the Watchers.

Are the nuTrek movies any good? Haven't seen them yet, and I'm thinking of watching them this weekend.

they're half decent, not great but I like nu-Mccoy. They can provide honest entertainement if you're not looking for the old trek that is.

It is when you have a whole general devoted to STD

they're literally turn your brain off tier and not really worth watching if you appreciate trek at all, in fact they might just make you feel sick and angry

I was once a pleb who thought this. TNG showed me the light

The first one has some annoying bits, a lame villain with shit motivations and some proper canon-fucking
Into Darkness just makes you want to watch Wrath of Khan instead
Beyond is kind of fun overall but suffers from having a lame villain with shit motivations.
Nu-Kirk starts pretty annoying but gets alright by the end.
Nu-Spock is pretty bad in the first two and acceptable in the third
Nu-Bones is neat
Nu-Scotty is just an excuse to have the Simon Pegg show IN SPACE

They chose an actor for Dr Mora that has a similar height and facial structure to Odo as that's the person that Odo based his humanoid form on.

Did they pick an actor with a similar gravelly voice? I noticed the voices are both very similar on my recent rewatch.

that fucking actor must've been a favorite of one of the producers because he played every race of alien and then some. i think he even played future alexander and that one romulan who defected. i hate him

>4+ minutes video

How long do you think my attention span is?

>dumb, vulgar and ugly

So you literally haven't seen a single episode.

He's not even in the top 5 most frequent recurring guest actors.
But, a lot of those types are cause an actor almost made it as a main cast member, so they were asked back repeatedly

>somebody actually posting something interesting about star trek in a /trek/ general

I guess miracles really happen every once in a while

maybe i just noticed him more because i hate his stupid ugly face and voice

why did she have to go, bros?

I needed my 3 titted waifu at home to bear children and serve them hot cocoa. Sorry.

seriously what the fuck was this

it looked cool back then

*Ensign crusher report to my ready room immediately*
ohh g-great! maybe it's the captain promoting me!
*walks in on captain fucking his mom*
c'mon guys not again!!!!
(captain and mom at the same time): Shut up Wesley
which episode was this again?

>keeps posting the same 10-15 images
>goes into every thread to bitch and moan

just stick to your STD and STI and be gone

Space-nigger magic

The exact pose she made in The Color Purple. It's a reference.

that's a qt wompat

>you're up late drinking in ten forward
>just before closing bar, guinan invites you back to her quarters
wat do?

I'd go. Guinan seems the type to go for any sick fetish under the sun. She's lived long enough not to judge.

>go in
>get free pizza kept warm under her hat

Just finishing up on the original series. What should i watch next? Are Voyager, Deep space 9 and the other ones good?

The writers for DS9 did not think much of Saddig's acting ability and kept him in the dark about major plot points for the show. He found out abruptly he was a changeling and that he was an augment. He was pissed that they didnt give him a chance to play Bashir differently even as his changeling self delivered Keiko's baby. He never liked being an an augment and felt it was the show trying to make him too much like Data.

TNG, then DS9. Both are GOAT

how the fuck did odo not sense another changeling working along side him?

Could changelings sense each other tho? Even so, Odo was a shit changeling. Remember when "Kira" was turning into a rock but it was actually the female founder fucking with him? He didn't sense her then either.

Attention Commander!
Tell me about your sexual organs!

This is all.

small and innoffensive. over

Wasn't she in the part of the ship that got sliced up?

Nana Visitor was very passionate about playing Major Kira and let the writers know how she felt about her character and wanted to be involved in shaping where her character went. The writers were cool with this but would put their foot down when need be.

Visitor wanted to play the Intendant as an extreme narcissist and not a whore but they say how she did the first episode and ran with it. She was a little annoyed and felt it made her mirror character a little one-dimensional.

When Visitor got pregnant with Alexander Saddig she was anxious about the show giving her a small part and covered it up like they did with Dr. Crusher. The writers were happy to accommodate her especially since Rosalind Chao was not actually pregnant and they could work it in. The writers just wanted to avoid every pregnant trope by making Bajoran pregnancy very drama-free.

Nana Visitor insisted on doing her own stunts even when very pregnant and ended up injuring herself and the writers also initially were going to have Kira have no relationship with the baby but Visitor pointed out that her character wouldn't do all that without forming some kind of bond and they changed her mind.

Originally the plan was for Kira at some point in the past to have slept with Gul Dukat and have given in to his advances and regretted and Dukat would bring it up as he got creepier near the end of the show.

Nana Visitor was furious and thought it'd ruin the character and let the writers know how upset she was and they listened, changed it to Dukat having Kira's mom as a comfort woman. Visitor thought that was an interesting development and liked that a lot.

After Odo linked with the female changeling and stopped caring the writers had a hard time figuring out how to make Kira and Odo reconcile so they did it off screen. Both René Auberjonois and Nana Visitor didn't like that and asked that the writers let their characters work out their issues on screen in the future. They agreed.

That character was developed with the intention of her being Geordi's love interest and getting together with him and then immediately dropped in favor of developing Chief O'Brien as a character.

TNG and TOS are top tier. Voyager is bottom tier. DS9 and Enterprise are middle tier.

If you haven't already watched TNG, then it only makes sense to do that next. It's next chronologically and it's easily the best of the remaining shows. If you've already seen it, then DS9 is the next chronologically and it's the next tier down. Be warned, however, that both TNG and DS9 get off to weak starts. So does Voyager, for that matter, only it doesn't get better.

what i don't like is that they had to make the married couple the one with the baby, like it was unthinkable that kira could've gotten knocked up without being married. fucking quakers

.... i meant her character :/

Trekfags, I never watched the series, but I remember watching one episode on television like 13 or so years ago.
The ship was stuck in some sort of groundhog day, the day kept repeating and they kept getting destroyed by an enemy ship.
In the end they finally managed to send a message trough time or something and escape their destruction.

I fucking loved that episode, can anyone direct me to it? I'd love to watch it again. Ever since I catched that I have a thing for time travel stuff in films/series.

>mfw my ban expires today and I can post about fat Riker again

TNG episode "Cause and Effect"

Hearing Picard call to abandon ship is chilling to hear

she's in the next one, when picard goes for his heart surgery

>What do you think the standard issue Federation mobility scooters look like?

They'd already started that long before she turned up. Reading a bunch of this stuff makes it seems like they were never planning more than a couple episodes ahead.

I'd say Jeffrey Combs and Vaughn Armstrong were probably the most used recurring actors. And that guy who played Degra in Enterprise. Nothing wrong there though since they're all great actors.

I thought Up the Long Ladder was supposed to be really offensive, but it's actually just incredibly stupid.

Please keep posting these facts. Absolutely love them!

>this copypasta

Thank you. :)

>Cause and Effect is a great episode.
>this pasta

>what is the connection?

Read books.