Let's talk about MINDHUNTER

What are your thoughts on the show as a whole? Which parts didn't you like? What do you hope for in season 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader
youtu.be/FDYBmNYc8IA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the deal with the cat?

Poor man's true detective

it's a metaphor

It was fine, felt like it could've trimmed a couple episodes though. All the character stuff outside of interviews was pretty weak. I hope that they cut back on the character stuff going forward, even though they'll more than likely increase it.

Jonathan Groff trying to play a straight guy was distracting as fuck. All the scenes between Holden and Debbie were weak. They had no chemistry and she was a shit character.

Does Holden's panic attack at the end mean he's not a psychopath after all?

Tell me about the book, what case is elaborated in the final chapters?

No, that was old Holden's reaction to try and, dare i say, Hold on to his identity as a new Holden personality emerges and takes over, akin to the Narrator blacking out every time Durden emerges in Fight Club.

What? When was that ever even hinted at being a possibility?

Dahmer when?

They go to lengths to hint that Holden is also psychopath. There are parallels made throughout between Holden and his interviewees and how little he's affected by their behaviours. By the end, his relationships with his colleagues are nonexistent and he's far more at home in the interview rooms. He's also a narcissist with delusions of grandeur. Bill is aware early on that Holden is different.

theres no mood or tone, due to poor direction, usage of period pop music, flat colors, monotone acting, etc.

I was rock hard during the cunnilingus scenes and when she put that lingerie on.
>tfw holden is such a cuck that he gets cucked by another mans shoe fetish

it's so bland. you watch it, it's ok and then you forget about it

The Kemper scenes are memorable.

Either you're watching a completely different show than everybody else, or you just plain weren't paying attention.

So many small subplots that went absolutely nowhere. I get that they're setting things up for the next season, but I think a season should be able to stand on it's own. The BTK stuff and Dunham's tuna served no purpose for this season, and felt like filler. I did like that some episodes were only 35 minutes long; varying episode lengths is a seldom used benefit of Netflix. I wish they went further with that, and removed the fluff and had either shorter or fewer episodes.

I almost fucking dropped this shit on the first episode during that scene he meets the cuckess - shit was so cringy.

It got better but the main actor comes off as a massive faggot (both meanings) and the show in general feels pretty weak - especially if you compare it to something like narcos. The only thing that keeps you watching is the serial killer memes.

I also don't get how people are so confused about the panic attack at the end. He was panicking because he almost fucking died or at the very least allowed himself to end up in a position where his life could have been ended - however unlikely that may have been in terms of serial killer tendencies. That had literally nothing to do with "omg hes a socio too xd"

I thought this until i watched the actual kemper videos. Hes very different. I actually liked the shoe guy more because he seems genuine. The way they portrayed kemper was as if hes some sort of comic character.

The funny thing is, the actor playing Ford is indeed publicly gay.

>white people

>Dahmer when?
wasn't that the guy at the beginning of every episode?

No that's Dennis Rader.

That was Dennis Rader, AKA The BTK killer.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

The first episode was really shit. I don't know why Fincher thought it was suitable as a jumping off point for the rest of the season.

Why was Debbie such a bitch? Her and Holden's relationship revolved around her playing devils advocate to everything he said.

She was insecure about herself
Like most idiots in this shithole

Since the show is still set in the 70's and Dahmer got arrested in the 90's I don't think we will see him anytime soon

She's a feminist hippie

There's been a lot of talk about the cat and the tuna and what it means. Fincher was asked about it and he said that it simply meant there was potentially a kid living in the building on his way to becoming a serial killer, with violence against animals one of the first steps towards killing people.

Were we just supposed to ignore the fact that Debbie was fucking that guy behind Holden's back?

Holden sure did.

It didn't feel like that was ever implied. I also don't like the idea of them 'accidentally' discovering a potential serial killer. There must be at most a few hundred at any time in a country of hundreds of millions, so the chances they'd just randomly run into one is minuscule. It'd take me right out of the show if that's what ends up happening.

>There must be at most a few hundred at any time in a country of hundreds of millions, so the chances they'd just randomly run into one is minuscule.

It's not a character that we'll ever meet. Fincher was just making the point that these people are not easy to spot even when their behaviours are out in the open.

BTK was arrested this millenium and he was caught by being a goof not analysis

>hey mr police man is there any way for me to be traced using a floppy disk
>y-you guys better not be lying
>this is the honor system guys - swear on yer mums i cant be traced
>h-here i go

More importantly, will we see Ted Cruz

Kek. Why the fuck would he believe them? They have every reason to lie.

I do wonder if Fincher will revisit the Zodiac killer. I hope not, as it will inevitably draw (likely negative) comparisons to the film.

Speck doesn't belong with Brudos and Ed

>In May 1996, Chicago television news anchor Bill Kurtis received video tapes made at Stateville Prison in 1988 from an anonymous attorney. Showing them publicly for the first time before the Illinois state legislature, Kurtis pointed out the explicit scenes of sex, drug use, and money being passed around by prisoners, who seemingly had no fear of being caught; in the center was Speck, performing oral sex on another inmate,[58][59] sharing a large quantity of cocaine with another inmate, parading in silk panties, sporting female-like breasts (allegedly grown using smuggled hormone treatments), and boasting, "If they only knew how much fun I was having, they'd turn me loose."[58] The Illinois legislature packed the auditorium to view the two-hour video,[58] but stopped the screening when the film showed Speck performing oral sex on another man.[59]

>From behind the camera, a prisoner asked Speck if he had killed the nurses. Speck responded, "Sure I did." When asked why, Speck shrugged and jokingly said, "It just wasn't their night." Asked how he felt about himself in the years since, he said, "Like I always felt ... had no feeling. If you're asking me if I felt sorry, no." He also described in detail the experience of strangling someone: "It's not like TV ... it takes over three minutes and you have to have a lot of strength.

ah yes, the main character who is TOTALLY a straight man not gay at all lol that killed the show

Except it's better than True Detective in every way, and doesn't drop it's shit in the last episodes.

this is the most plebeian thing I've seen all day

>"Hey, why don't we throw in a few quotes of this 'nihilism for dumbasses' book I found"
>3deep5me, give them all the emmys

True Detective is plebeian as fuck. Baby's first look into nihilism.

No way. It's just be awkward. On an unrelated note, I was listening to an interview Fincher did for Mindhunter where he was asked if the show always existed as series in his mind, rather than a film. He replied yes and that he'd "learnt his lessons from Zodiac". He was kind of suggesting that if he'd made Zodiac today, it would have been a series rather than a film. Which made me feel disappointed that filmmakers think that way now. Movies will always be a higher art form than shows. Making something into a show rather than a movie feels like a bit of a cop out and an easy way to get round tricky aspects of storytelling like pacing.

I'd be fine with it if he actually directed all the episodes

What I liked :

-It is shot clean. I like Fincher's minimalist style and even in the episodes he didn't direct the trend continues.
-Intriguing subject and characters

What I didn't like :

-Not much going on story wise. Show felt like it wasn't headed anywhere. I'd really love a thriller-esque archplot. Example : Zodiac.

-Main character is not a good actor. I couldn't get used to him up until the last few episodes.

-Main character's girlfriend is dogshit tier actress and shouldn't be in the series.

It was a facade, he took off his mask of nihilism at the end. but I understand you're a brainlet so I won't hold your stupidity against you

TV series is the superior medium.
Just like a novel is a superior medium to a short story.
Gives you more time to explore the story and the characters and is actually harder to pull off for the same reason. It is easier to be consisntent for 2 hours than for 10.

>implying the edgy nihilism stuff isn't why you cunts enjoy it so much.

I wonder what John E. Douglas' thoughts are on Mindhunter.

>Main character is not a good actor. I couldn't get used to him up until the last few episodes.
Except he is, but the character he plays is not charismatic or heroic. He plays the character well. An autistic, self-centered, non-empathic fuck-up, mind you, but he plays him very well.

The finale is literally a guy having a slight panic attack after a hug...

I thought the main character was a faggot before finding out that he was actually gay. His acting is atrocious, especially when establishing the relationship in the club with the broad who just bitches constantly. That is the worst aspect of the show. She's terrible as is the dyke. The serial killer interviews are the only reason to watch this show. The guy who plays the queers partner is alright, too, I guess. 5/10 show best suited for background noise.

>flat colors

I'm sick and fucking tired of brown filters over every single show and movie.

>and he was caught by being a goof not analysis
This is how it works 99 percent of the time. Profiling is majority bunk, no different than most forensic "science" employed by law enforcement.

Are they interviewing Roger "The Tickle Monster" Wade next season?

And TD's finale is literally "the fat retard did it". What's your point?

Not him but I think you missed the point of Rust and the series entirely.

I don't agree with that at all. The fact that i could tell he was a faggot (seems other people here could too) is proof enough that he did not become his character.

I could tell exactly what he was going for and he failed just the same as how they failed to portray kemper properly.

I don't know if that was implied, but that's what I thought when I saw it. I have an overactive imagination though.

>implying Holden did anything wrong in getting the creepy headteacher fired

>waaa you aren't allowed to collect all this valuable data unless you can do it by saying only good boy words and thinking good boy thoughts

This. What the fuck was her problem. She was acting like she founded the unit and wasn't just a consultant.

It was entertaining despite some of the glaring flaws, such as dialogues and certain characters simply existing.
The interviews are really the best part, also every time Bill tells Holden to shut up.
I can only hope for more interviews and less hippie gf or Bill's wife.

plebian is thinking true detective and mindhunters are even comparable. True detective is ethereal and occult. Mindhunter is very different to that. Just because they're both really well shot compared to other crime shows doesn't mean they're remotely the same

>Meat Loaf's "2 out of 3 aint bad" starts playing
>Is a) a metaphor for Ford's job is distracting him in their lives (Her high heels) and b) foreshadowing her cheating with a sociology man

That doesn't mean he's a psycopath. He barely would qualify as a sociopath.

i was actually referring to the FBI not her

Do you know what a psychopath is?

its a pretty cool show and the whole subject is fascinating. There is some stuff I don't care for, but it seems very promising. Probably my favorite thing about the show is how its not so blatantly formulaic like most cop shows. I was really digging the random side-stories the characters kept getting caught up in. It keeps things fresh when you never know if another two or three-part episode is coming up.

Not a sociopath. :^)

Episode 1 was boring as shit, the acting and dialogue feels stilted. The only interesting moments were when Ed Kemper was being interviewed. After 3 and a half episodes I was done.

You couldn't be more wrong. Just watch the video that compares the interviews. The actor tries to play him like he's some cold and calculated evil mastermind like he's Hannibal Lecter or something. Kemper was nothing like that. They just completely omit Kemper breaking down and crying and shit like that.

So the Gonzalez and old women rape and murders in California was the night stalker right? They arrested the wrong guy for it right?

I was thinking it was the vampire of Sacramento Richard Chase. Then they got some guy named Dwight or something and I was disappointed.

>he played the role well
youtu.be/FDYBmNYc8IA

Maybe he wanted to get caught and didn't really give a heck anymore. Kemper straight up turned himself in after he expected a manhunt and got nothing.

Kemper actually seemed more personable and articulate in real life interviews. The way he was portrayed in the show made him seem like an oaf.

Yeah that's the only explanation I can think of.

Sometimes an oaf and other times like a calculated mastermind. In real life he was neither.

>The actor tries to play him like he's some cold and calculated evil mastermind like he's Hannibal Lecter or something.

Interestingly, Fincher said he really wanted to side step that. He said he'd already done the super villain serial killer stuff with Se7en and wanted this show to be more grounded. I kind of agree that, with Kemper's portrayal, they kind of failed in that aspect.

Impressed by Sexy Rexy, can we expect more roles from le foot fetish cuck?

Mimdhunter's Kemper seems to be more based on the interviews he did in the 90s. Which is weird.

there are only white serial killers, stupid goy

I bet this has something to do with test audiences not being able to understand, or even just in general -- people have certain expectations for how these killers are supposed to act, even though there are many examples that show otherwise.

She was acting like Holden had walked into her house on christmas day and pissed on the kids. Just the fucking c word, what a baby.

Kemper's portrayal was okay. Stuff like that is just automatically fun to watch, and that helps bond the viewer with Holden. And later on it breaks that by making Kemper look pathetic, which undermines Holden's whole attitude.

But, they went too far. Was it really necessary to give him fucking godzilla sounding footsteps?

>Was it really necessary to give him fucking godzilla sounding footsteps?
Yes.

I don't know if I'd call it that exactly, but he's definitely doing his own thing with the character and not a perfect imitation.

Kemper didn't put on the weight until later on. He should have been slim for a 70s portrayal.

she's a lesbo and wants another pussy

I wonder who will play Manson in season 2.

>15 minutes into the first episode and Chad is already banging the first bitch he talks to at a bar

D R O P P E D

First ep is shit-tier compared to the rest of the show.

For what?

Richard Ramirez. The night stalker. Killed and raped old women. Check. Killed the dogs as a form of Satan worship. Check. Every survivor said he stuck to high hell. Check

That's because the topic fascinates him you faggot

In the very first scene with him and Kemper he was pretty much scared shitless and could barely talk

I'm hoping the BTK killer becomes a focal point. as much as i liked individual parts of the show, i really disliked the "case of the week" structure. felt like i was watching law and order or some shit. i would prefer if they had larger arcs focusing on case for let's say half the season.

7/10

the need to stick to bill and holden going around the US interviewing serial killers and solving cases

every scene with the girlfriend, the dyke or at the FBI ruined it from being a 9