Adult Swim nostalgia

Adult Swim's Sunday night nostalgia block has failed again.

I may be biased because King of the Hill is the only FOX rerun on Adult Swim that I actually like (well other than Bob's Burgers, which is decent in its own right), but I think the Sunday "2001 Nostalgia Block" is a mistake. A lot of the stuff on there is fairly dated and obscure, and kind of lacks the nostalgia value that AS is banking on.

King of the Hill, however, acts as a good buffer between Cartoon Network and the rest of Adult Swim's comedy fare, as it's not overtly surreal unfunny stoner comedy, and since it's TV-PG, you probably won't upset any parents if their kids watch it.

Plus King of the Hill is easy to consume and good for casual entertainment. Of all the FOX reruns that bring in the normies, it's the least odious.

The idea that people are overtly nostalgic for something as obscure as the Brak Show or as downright terrible as Home Movies or even "influential classics" like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast is ludicrous. All of the nostalgia for early Adult Swim is about the anime. The comedy shows belong in the trashcan of tv history.

Unfortunately, Adult Swim barely tolerates anime anymore and that aside, you'd still have to re-license the shows that could actually bring in nostalgia views.

I know casuals and normalfags that are nostalgic for Cowboy Bebop, but I've never met someone who was nostalgic for The Brak Show or Sealab 2021. And rightly so.

Just sayin'

Hmm, so somebody saw my post in the Toonami thread and made a separate thread by copying my words.

Damn. I'll bite and contribute to this thread anyway.

>tfw you know it will never be 2005 again
>Adult Swim comedies were actually funny aside from Rick and Morty
>Anime was a big thing on Adult Swim and was getting awesome promotion
>Futurama was on AS
>Anime was on weekdays too, right after the comedies
>Family Guy hadn't jumped the shark
>Samurai Champloo was new and fresh
>People still liked InuYasha and FMA 2003, and FMA: Brotherhood hadn't shitted up the fanbase yet
>Adult Swim will never be this cool again and you will never be thirteen again

Fuck my life

>2005
>R&M
The fuck?

Shit tastes, both of you.

>aside from R&M

I'm referring to newer AS comedies, which are mostly shit except Rick & Morty, the comedies in 2005 were mostly good.

Should have cleared that up in the original post.

Before Rick & Morty came out, Adult Swim hadn't premiered a good comedy show since about 2007 or 2008.

Butthurt fan of unfunny stoner comedies detected.

Tim & Eric and their imitators were never funny to begin with. Period.

I liked Tom Goes to the Mayor tbqh. But Awesome Show and everything after was too much.
>dude pre-millenium public access production values and vhs aesthetic lmao
>dude it's so bad and random it's good lmao

That literally had nothing to do with Brak Show and Home Movies tho

Fuck off and quit samefagging

Yeah, Tom Goes to the Mayor was decent.

Early-to-mid 2000's Adult Swim was based. After the Boston Bomb Scare in 2007, everything went to shit.

We lost Futurama, we nearly lost anime, unfunny lolrandom stoner shit became dominant, and the block has never been the same.

2009 was probably the absolute low point of it all though.

The only good things to happen to Adult Swim post-2007 were King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, Rick & Morty, and the return of Toonami.

Robot Chicken and Venture Brothers are good, but they're both from the pre-2007 days (in fact, both premiered in 2005)

Does anybody give a fuck if anyone's samefagging anymore?

Adult Swim has gone to shit. It's not as shitty as it was in 2008-2009, but it sill isn't as awesome as it was back in 2004-2005.

Now the early comedies weren't bad, I actually kind of like Harvey Birdman and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but if you're going to build a nostalgia block based on just those early comedy shows, it's not going to work. Especially at 8 PM.

Beginning the block with 2001 nostalgia is not a good plan. If they aired these early comedies later in the night, after the FOX reruns have run their course, then I think they could work.

Putting them at the very start of the block is just stupid though.

The Brak Show and Home Movies were the Tim & Eric of 2002.

I mean, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast was decent, if a bit dated, and I still find Harvey Birdman to be hilarious and entertaining, but practically nobody remembers The Brak Show and Home Movies is just used as troll bait in the Toonami/Adult Swim threads these days.

>"does anyone care if anyone's samefagging I mean come on right"
>admitting to samefagging

I'm sure you're also the guy who kept making those "home movie has the worst ratings" post too

>as downright terrible as Home Movies

Actually, no. But thanks for playing!

Anyway, this image sums up my thoughts on present day Adult Swim/Williams Street quite nicely.

And their schedule after 2010 became much more reliant on FOX shows and a select few originals rerun ad nauseum.

>Smug reply

Nah, you're the same guy who can't stop jerking himself off to his own rants about modern Adult Swim
Neck yourself my mane

>those "home movie has the worst ratings" post too
WTF is with toonami and home movies. They say it's awful, they say it's a kids show, they say it got record low ratings, none of which is remotely true (well first one is subjective)

I think you missed the point of the post. Once you get past the first sentence, you know I'm right.

Look into your heart and ask yourself if you truly think Tim & Eric, Mr. Pickles, Superjail, or Your Pretty Face is Going To Hell are actually funny.

You know I'm right and that Adult Swim has jumped the shark. Even if you don't like anime, which is fine by me, the comedies aren't that good anymore either.

>as downright terrible as Home Movies

>All of the nostalgia for early Adult Swim is about the anime

Something of which Adult Swim was only about on Saturday nights and not even at launch so your opinion sounds retarded.

Nah thanks, I'm actually fairly happy and content with my life, my opinions on Adult Swim aside.

Also, the IROC-Z is the best car I have ever seen in my life. My favorite ride ever. A real man's ride.

IROC: Irish Redneck Out Cruisin'

But to get back onto topic, can Adult Swim be saved or is Adult Swim ultimately going to fall under the weight of its own stubbornness and complacency like the Roman Empire?

>Tim & Eric of 2002
That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Actually, nostalgia can work in many different ways.

Yes, anime was originally only on Saturdays and wasn't present at the very beginning, but once Cowboy Bebop got on Adult Swim more people started tuning in and Adult Swim got big.

That's why anime later expanded to weekdays from mid 2002 to early 2008 alongside the comedies.

Anime helped Adult Swim make it big. There was an anime boom in the early 2000's and Adult Swim capitalized on it in its early days, even if it was present at launch.

Space Ghost and Harvey Birdman probably do have some nostalgia value similar to Cowboy Bebop, but nobody remembers the Brak Show or Sealab 2021. Let's be honest here.

I mean that in the sense that they were both unfunny and forgettable

Anime may have not been at the very launch of Adult Swim, but it helped Adult Swim become a huge hit, though later original comedies such as Aqua Teen and the reruns of Family Guy and Futurama definitely helped as well.

>Was not present at launch

Corrected, forgive the typo on my part

Most of the people who shit on anime being on Adult Swim are brain-dead stoners who think Mr. Pickles and Tim & Eric are actually funny, so fuck them.

Most of the original comedies aside from Rick & Morty and the Venture Brothers perform almost as bad in the ratings as the anime stuff, sometimes worse than anime depending on the show.

Most of Adult Swim's money, ratings, and ultimately, their success comes from FOX reruns these days.

If Adult Swim were to lose the FOX reruns, they'd be dead within a year.

>Unfunny and forgettable
Like I said, shit taste.

>The idea that people are overtly nostalgic for something as obscure as the Brak Show or as downright terrible as Home Movies or even "influential classics" like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast is ludicrous.

Hey, are you under the age of 20 by chance?

Sealab is a bit bigger than you'd think, but harvey and Space Ghost are definitlely the most remembered. Brak is all but forgotten.

Moron