Black people don't belong in Star Wars!

Well he wasn't actually in it

OP is a faggot

>I'm using too much hair product for this shit.

Nice try tumblr

JEJ has the largest private firearms collection in the world

Well, I'm being ironic. My point is that the problem with Boyega is that he put in a mediocre acting performance playing a poorly written character, not that he's black.

Citation needed, he always seemed cool as fuck.

>people who're just black, not a big deal at all

>new star wars, we need diversity, everyone gets annoyed

Dont you dare compare James Earl Jones to that ape looking motherfucker

I feel like Rey was honestly more shoehorned in than Boogya. Like he didn't even really do anything besides be the Jar Jar of the movie.

What a waste really, all that hype for a black character and he does fucking nothing. At least Lando got to hit someone.

Well the issue is he acts like a black guy in a universe where the notion of african american tendencies shouldn't exist.

Some things were fine like him spilling spaghetti over Rey or trying to make Han think he's with the Resistance. Other times you get bits like "Droid please" or "YOU SEE THAT?!" that were a bit much. I mean I understand it's hard to separate your innate tendencies from your acting but those bits always seemed like they didn't make sense unless you brought him being black into part of his character.

Hopefully he's given a better role and dialogue and direction in TLJ. It'd be interesting if he served as a strong counter-point philosophically to Phasma: Someone who can't stand for the First Order's abuse of its soldiers and others, vs a diehard supporter who has climbed up the ranks and forged a place within the system

Not only did he not do much, but he actually acted like some sort of vaudeville blackface stereotype, a cliche "black goofy sidekick". I don't understand how that was supposed to be any sort of step forward for blacks, given that Vader and Lando had already been played by blacks in the OT, and both characters were not defined by blackness (Vader wasn't even black).

Boyega had a role though, even if it wasn't the most clearly executed: he straight up lies about knowing how to turn off the shields of Stardestroyer to rally the resources to save Rey.

Presumably, if he didn't have a connection to Rey like he did, he'd have headed to the outer rim and the Resistance wouldn't have risked sending Han in because they don't know how to shut the shields down if they got there at all.

It was roundabout but it sort of made sense.

He'll never have as much class as Billy Dee. He's a whiny cunt and a shitty actor.

>Well the issue is he acts like a black guy in a universe where the notion of african american tendencies shouldn't exist.
I totally agree (well, he's african-british, but the result is the same). It's an oddly modern, jarring performance that's out of place in that universe. I also dislike Rey's British accent. For one thing, British accents in SW typically mean "this person is refined or powerful" (Obi-Wan, Tarkin ...), and Rey is supposed to be a random poor loner on a desert planet. For another, her British accent comes off as oddly modern somehow, maybe because of the rest of her performance or the way she is filmed... she sounds like she's standing in line outside a London nightclub.
Even Ford and Fisher's performances are mediocre. I don't see their characters when they're on screen, I see the actors. I'm not exactly sure why, but the effect is pronounced and I don't think it's simply because they had gotten older.

John Boyega or however the fuck you spell his name clearly hates white people, though, so I won't be paying for any movies that choose to cast him.

The newer generation of black actors don't have any class in general. Older generation had jazz and talent to work as good actors.

they're nu males they wouldn't understand

Not to mention Samuel L Jackson was decent in the prequels. Lando and Mace felt...natural.

Ford and Fisher were clearly in it for the money. Ford hated the character, Fisher hated the franchise. Hamill is the only one from the OT who didn't end up hating Star Wars in some way.

i swear to Got someone should ask that to abrams at the next comic con, "jj why did u make finn say nigga please in tfa?" he'd sweat lkely a enflamed jew he is

The characters had arcs but they fell into a similar issue as Plinkett's review mentioned: they don't have core attitudes or tendencies.

TFA fixed the issue of character relationships but not of core character philosophies or pathos.
You get some character traits but the direction from the...director I guess, wasn't as clear or precise. It was a lot of charm but a lot of generic charm rather than precise character personalities interacting.

Finn should have been more skittish and a little more clueless about the non-First Order world. His core character arc would be the same, where he decides to stop avoiding his problems or being passive and take active steps to help fix the world. He goes from being someone who is constantly avoiding danger or conflict to someone who will stand and fight for what he believes in. He wouldn't be quippy but more dismissive at first and then inquisitive later.

I agree with Rey's accent too. It's not like we don't have british accents in Star Wars but little explanation is given for why. In SWTOR, British accents are definitively signs of the Empire. Every imperial has one. American accents are of the Republic. But it just sounds odd that a 5 year old would develop a british accent while on a planet where no one else speaks with that intonation

JJ is a shit writer. One of my main gripes with this movie is how everyone talks like they're in our modern world (like a marvel movie), with constant "witty" banter and quipping.

Hamill has always been a little more open to the fandoms and geeky stuff. Fisher is Hollywood royalty so she thinks she's above these sorts of popcorn flick franchises. Ford is just a more serious dude, a little more to himself. Same with Keanu Reeves and Liam Neeson

quipping is fine but it should be more subtle instead overt back to back gags, but i understand, what else you unna do with a rehash story line

>"it is because of this reason"
>op is a faggot
>"o i really meant this reason instead lol"

you are retarded.

I want an in-universe explanation for how a galaxy a long time ago just started talking like a marvel movie just a few years after the prequel

Well the issue is that's the default of Disney film writing standards.

Incidentally, the main exception of nu-Disney franchises (including Star Wars and Marvel) that comes to mind of something that has banter that isn't like Marvel's formula is Moana and Rogue One. Moana had banter but the particular lines always felt like they fit the character personalities. Rogue One was a straight up attempt at a War flick set in Star Wars.

>One of my main gripes with this movie is how everyone talks like they're in our modern world
fucking this

Well, the kind of people who write Wookiepedia articles and come up with in-universe excuses for every bit of bad writing that SW filmmakers put out are probably busy as we speak coming up with something.

jam it was only lines like nigga please and shit, rest was fine, just to many gags

Well each character should have their own general type of humor that they engage in, if at all.

Luke didn't joke that much in the original trilogy, but when he did something funny it was usually because of his reaction to it, it was his CHARACTER reacting to something. His smug face when Leia kissed him or "Same as always" in TRJ.
Han was more of a subtle, sarcastic humor. Almost like Ghostbusters. He'd ask or say things he clearly didn't mean to show his contempt for the situation or individual. Again, it was his CHARACTER, interacting with things that made it funny, not necessarily the joke as a self-contained unit.

That's a good way of saying it actually: the gags in Marvel and nu-StarWars seem to be attempts at making self-contained jokes. Occasionally, they're funny because of the powers of the character put to use.

Conversely, the best comedies and bits of comedy from older movies tend to be about the characters interacting. It's funny because we know that character's personality and it creates context for the interactions.

The best joke in all of the Marvel movies is more like the latter description: It's when Steve Roger is trying to pick up Thor's hammer in Age of Ultron. Steve is trying his damnest, we know his character. We see the hammer make a sound and jiggle a little and we see Thor's reaction. Thor's reaction is especially funny because we know his personality as a boastful, proud warrior who heavily relies on his hammer as both a power and a sense of identity.

Well but even those other gags feel more self-contained generally. The best ones were those that relied on the context of the character's personality.

Finn's extended gag of pretending to be a Resistance member is probably the most fun I had with the gags because it informs us about something in his character and relies on prior understanding of his character (that he doesn't think things through before he commits to them, he's a little bit of a bullshit artist, even going back to when he pretended to fire on the villagers)

Well put

Mace was fucking boring as shit just like everybody else in the prequels.

trips i agree

Fucker, Finn is non-ironically the best character in the new movie, everyone else is a rehash of a previous Star Wars character or a Mary Sue.

thing is, these guys (lando, vader-voice actor) were natural, Finn makes no sense to be trooper in nazi-based 1st order.
it's like WW2 nazi had black soldiers.

>he actually acted like some sort of vaudeville blackface stereotype, a cliche "black goofy sidekick
This. Not only did Disney waste a character with awesome potential and a chance to do something different in the movies, Finn was basically Jar Jar Binks and a racist stereotype. Even had a runaway slave narrative. They further devalued his character by making him a janitor and using it as a cheap joke.

Its nazi based in that it thinks certain people are better than others, but the Empire and First Order are pro-human, not pro white-people specifically