The 1978 animated version of Lord of the Rings is better than the peter jackson ver-

>the 1978 animated version of Lord of the Rings is better than the peter jackson ver-

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FyzE9thQIPo
youtube.com/watch?v=N6Y4Yrk5Ma0
youtube.com/watch?v=ICK8ppnY8qc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do people really say that?

is that a Weremoth?

>this is from 2001

Aged amazingly.

wow CGI sure has come far in these 16 years haha :^)

the balrog probably had the most time and care of any single cgi sequence in the whole movie put into it, there are shots in TT and ROTK that don't hold up as well because they were so rushed for time to meet their release dates.

Watching the 'Making of' stuff from the Hobbit, particularly BotFA, they did actually have a lot of practical sets....but that fucking white, washed out filter they stuck over everything made even the physical sets look like they were CGI greenscreen.

Truely amazing cock-up, especially given how capable Weta is with props and shit and how well the LotR (mostly) managed to use it's CGI.

holy fuck thanks for reminding me how stupid the hobbit trilogy was

nah. no one has ever said that I guess. Just trying to start a thread

You can tell very competent people worked on that scene.

I actually liked a lot of the creature designs in BotFA but holy shit they do not fit in with the Middle Earth universe.

Some kind of horror-fantasy film with all these weird looking monsters would've been great, but I can't retrofit it in my mind to the universe with all the clean-cut looking monsters in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the first Hobbit movie.

I am ok with the Hobbit movies. I watch 4 hour fan-edit annually as part of my Lord of the rings marathon, and actually enjoy everything good about them

They look like something that belongs in the Hellboy movies.

Yeah like that thing with the stumps for arms and like swords for legs was pretty cool looking, but the orcs and trolls and stuff in the earlier movies had a sort of nobility to them, while the stuff in Battle of the Five Armies just looks grotesque.

But the good four hour fan edits are in 480p tho

My main gripe with the BotFA stuff was the Orcs. They're supposed to be about 4-5ft tall and scrawny, vicious things that overwhelm their enemies with numbers and savagery, kitted out with, at best, crude light armour and fighting as much with their claws and teeth as their shitty mass-produced weaponry.

Hence why a bunch of farmers and fishermen could hold their own against them, they had good quality armour and weapons and were disciplined compared to the goblins. Jackson made them all 7ft tall American Football players in full plate armour and it looks utterly ridiculous to see them being cut down in their hundreds by 4ft tall Dwarves and human peasants with sharp sticks (because apparantly the scene where they raid Dale's armoury was forgotten and you never see most of the men wearing any armour).

Fuck, even Uruks are described as being 'almost as tall as a man', not a foot taller than them, let alone your common or garden goblin/orc.

In general, Jackson made everything way too big and "epic" scaled, hence why they had to do some dumb physics and common-sense defying improvised ballista to kill Smaug rather than just have him shot with a longbow, because Smaug was scaled up to the size of a fucking ocean freighter.

Maybe there's a reason for that...

Yeah, but as it was, they kept Guilmero's creature designs but shifted to Peter Jackson's visual style and it looks disjointed as fuck.

Which is a shame, I loved the feel of the Hellboy movies, I'd have been really interested to see a more weird and non-standard take on Middle Earth.

I agree with the gripe about the orcs, but dragons should be big, having a cuck sized dragon that can be killed by a bow is pretty beta

He also made them all white

God, that scene in the theater I saw it in. GOOD fucking sound system in that place. The Balrog's roar rumbled your insides more than you could actually hear it.

I thought his size detracted from his menace in some ways. In the books he's big, but not that fuckheug, a lot of his threat comes from the fact he's got the mind of a serial killer in a body coated in magically impenetrable scales that can spit napalm. His sheer size in the movie made THAT the most threatening part of him and cast a shadow over his malice and intellect imo.

I think it adds something to see something that kind of looks like you could kill it with enough archers, then see it just shrug off everything you throw at it and you can have him focus on viciously killing individual men more, without it looking like a grown man tormenting an ant. As it was, Bard looked less like a brave man protecting his home, and more like a niave idiot who decided to waste time launching tooth-picks at the impossibly huge fire-drake while all the sensible people were gtfo of dodge.

Looks better than all the capeshit coming out nowadays

Can't have baddies be 'swarthy' like that old racist Tolkien described user! We live in more enlightened times!

Same reason Mr. Jackson needed to fix the rather sexist omission of any stronk female warriors from the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.

no, op just found out about the animated version and decided to shitpost about it.

the animated hobbit is god tier though.

How did we go from etc.

I love everything about that design, even just small details like how the spine is ridged is just perfect.

I just tried the Bilbo edition and was pretty impressed, a few jarring cuts but they actually turned it into a nice compliment to the lotr trilogy instead of the shitfest we got.

>Feanor solod like 10 of these fuckers and only lost because their blood corroded the sword he was using
literally how

righteous chad rage

Can someone help me understand the logic behind trying to kill a fire-breathing fire demon by burning it to death with melted metal? Did Thorin's party not understand type resistances?

Ancient elves were insanely powerful. Feanor was literally mistaken for a Valar.

it was their first DnD session, give them a break

I don't see nothing wrong with that aesthetic. It's clumsy but it's not a generic like Jackson's roaring Balrog/Troll/whoever

Did anyone ever find out that Frodo actually failed and that the Ring was destroyed by accident?

Tolkien retcon

Maiar like Gandalf shouldn't have too much trouble with a Balrog who is at the bottom of the Maiar list.

Still looks better than fucking blue Jackson used more and more as LOTR progressed.

there are moments that completely elevate a movie, even if they are a very small part of it. The balrog scene in peters LOTR was one of those moments

How come Sauron didn't notice when Sam used the Ring in Cirith Ungol? Surely that must have clued the Dark Lord into the fact that Aragorn didn't have it.

It's still amazing how good the Balrog looks. Even Smaug looks a little shonky despite being one of the high points of the Hobbit trilogy. Though I suppose he had way more screentime than the Balrog.

I think they were mainly trying to immobilise it by coating it in a huge amount of gold, they hoped that the gold would weigh it down and once it solidified Smaug would be incapable of moving. Alternatively the dragon would suffocate after the gold had solidified.

>butcher his awesome monologue by breaking it up into like 10 pieces
never forgiven

This looks pretty good still, although that scene with the fire outside of Saruman's tower looked awful.

That wasn't communicated very well at all

Post yfw you first saw this scene in theaters
youtube.com/watch?v=FyzE9thQIPo

He's very well-animated and all that but something about him looks too cartoony or something, I can't quite put my finger on it

You should see the Balrog in the new Shadow of War game
youtube.com/watch?v=N6Y4Yrk5Ma0

Didn't they turn Isildur into the 10th Nazgul in this game?

>practical orcs
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's pretty obvious what their aim was though. Immobilising a dragon makes far more sense than trying to burn one.

If they had orcs this big and strong and well-armored why did they need to make Uruk-Hai

I often *think* it. Probably I'd say it as well but there's not really anyone else in my life sad enough to be interested.

Indian John Hurt disagrees

But that gold would have taken hours, if not days, to cool so they'd be better served by tying up Smaug with some kind of enchanted chain, than by throwing a chain on him that wouldn't actually start binding until next afternoon. As to its weight, Smaug had just spent the last 30 minutes of screentime destroying stone pillars like they were made out of styrofoam, and the idea of limitations on his strength was not conveyed to the audience at all.

god it looks like a PS2 game or something. what were they thinking

Is this the best track on the LOTR ost?
youtube.com/watch?v=ICK8ppnY8qc

The Uruk-hai could move in daylight

Would you describe Jackson's Balrog as "perfectly" adapted?

The scene has bigger issues than that if you're worried about realistic physics. The furnaces were supposedly stone cold when they first entered the mine. The amount of time required to heat up the furnace to a high enough temperature and burn enough coal to melt a giant golden statue is a lot more than 5 minutes.

Although physics aside, the Dwarves probably didn't have access to an enchanted chain. I believe that they just all avoided Smaug in the books but the studio decided to turn a short children's book into three films so they had to add pointless scenes like this one to pad out the length of the film.

The only reason the CGI looks good here is because it's very dark so you can't really see any detail. Although the lighting in that scene is fucked up, that amount of fire would cause the room to be very bright and you should be able to see Balrog with all the finer details.

The Balrog absorbs all light besides that which it makes itself. It's like a beacon of anti-light, which sucks up all illumination like a black hole, because high level servants of Morgoth manufacture their own darkness (since none of them can stand exposure to the light of Eru aka natural light). Any room that the Balrog would appear in would be unnaturally dark, save for the fire on its back and body.

There's nothing wrong with using some cinematic tricks to make things look better

what could have been...

The first age was incomparable to the third in terms of powerlevels. Its like comparing the Roman empire from Trajan's time to early medieval kingdoms like Frisia.

Only that one deformed general was actually white, most orcs in the movies are pretty dark and greasy looking.

It's the lighting, I think. The blacks are totally washed out and the hall is pretty well lit despite it lacking any clear light sources. If they had made the hall darker but added a lot of light shafts that interacted with the gold and his scales, it would've looked a lot better in my opinion. CGI also looks a lot better in darkness as you can't see the flaws, that's why Pacific Rim takes place mostly at night.

If I had time and a hammer, I'd track down every copy of The Hobbit flicks and smash it

the level of contrarianism required would be unimaginable. the 1978 LOTR is basically only worth looking into as a curiosity and maybe the otherworldly look of some of the animation.

1978 animated film is comfy kino. My parents didn't let me watch the live action movies as a kid, so I watched the animated movie on VHS hundreds of times.

Jesus, how fucking gay were your parents?

this is literal child abuse.

Fuck you!
Frisia for independence!

Say, what you wanna?
But I'm here to stay
'Cause I'm a mean ole lion
You can go where you're gonna
But don't get in my way
I'm a mean ole lion

You'll be standing in a draft
If you don't hear me laugh
And if you happen to come around
Well, you best not make me frown
For I just might knock you down
I'm a mean ole lion

Nowhere is it statd that Balrogs were at the bottom, although they do seem kind of anonymous.

Hoewever, gandalf wasn't sent to Middle Earth with his full power where Balrogs were physically fully commited to their presence in Middle Earth.

please don't break the immersion

Despite all it's faults, many of which have been hinted at in this thread, the Smaug & Bilbo scene is the highlight of the trilogy

The Balrog is beautifully imagined and executed, but the lotr depication of the Balrog doesn't even come close to my idea of waht a Balrog is.
He looks like a generic demon in the movie, while I alwaus imagined him a bit like Sauron was depicted in the Hobbit movies; a darkness in the shape of a big man (4 meters tops), like a small black hole syphoning all the light around him, seeming that he is alight with fire, a nothingness that will swallow and eat any power that trires to oppose him, almost formless. His wings are an illusion, not real wings but more like sun flares

Great CG and design, still looks 10/10 today
Based Jackson

I like the 1978 version but Peter Jackson's LOTR is so much better. Only contrarians and Tolkien purists prefer it.

looks like shit to me

nah the Maple Cut is in 1080p and 10 gigs so it's not horribly compressed.

It's the face. It moves "toward" the camera so you can see more of his mockup expressions. Benedict acted directly in front of the camera most of the time, so the slug makes unrealistic movements in scene for you to see those. Almost like breaking the fourth wall.
If you want to call it something, call it "walltalking"

It feels cartoony because that's a Bugs Bunny and most Warner Bros old cartoon character's move, only they adressed the audience also in dialogue.

he was sleeping

>mfw watching the last appendices on Return of the King and Viggo looks into the camera and talks about how grateful he is for all of the dedication the fans showed and thanks them

I don't care how bad the Hobbit trilogy was I'll always love Jackson for giving us the Lord of the Rings films

God, remember when Del Toro got fired from the Hobbit and his art leaked? Everyone was so relieved that Jackson was helming again.

>Elijah's last day
>Jackson keeps telling them to do another take even though they already have the shot just because he doesn't want it to be over
>he finally gives in and says cut
>"He burst into tears and just said 'thank you' over and over again"
>the shot of Jackson and Elijah hugging
>mfw

>Sam used the Ring in Cirith Ungol
Not on the movie, can't recall the books.

I think it's about as good as a book adaptation gets

Every sword forged in Noldor times was probably 10 times the sword Glamdring is, also Noldor were basically demigods, and Feanor was the maddest of them all.

broad daylight vs dark as shit

I bet if the Balrog went outside his mom's basement he would look like a ps2 graphic.

yeah but at least it's comforting knowing that Jackson constantly had the studio working against him for no reason other than Warner Bros being a bunch of greedy cunts and not giving him time for pre-production while also forcing him to make 3 films instead of 2 halfway through production

and Jackson didn't even want to direct it until WB told him if he didn't do it they were going to get fucking Bret Ratner to direct it, which would've been so much worse than what we got. Jackson sacrificed his legacy to prevent The Hobbit from getting absolutely raped, even if the finished product was still subpar.

>tfw Jackson unJUSTed himself after Lord of the Rings and WB put so much stress on him during the Hobbit that fucking aged 20 years over the course of 3

When he was fat he made good movies, when he slimmed down he made shit movies

hmmm

>Jackson didn't even want to direct it until WB told him if he didn't do it they were going to get fucking Bret Ratner to direct it

what the FUCK

Yeah, Isildur is one of the Nazgul and you take his ring after defeating him and become a Nazgul yourself, to prevent your mortal body from dying. Then you enslave orcs and fight Sauron's armies to delay his rise to power and finally succumb to the ring's power.
So in the game's version of the lore, your character is finally one of the ringwraiths seen in the movies.

Yeah it's not perfect but it's a great scene.

The Hobbit does have some great moments. The part where Bilbo shows Thorin his acorn and when Dwalin confronts Thorin in the throne room are some of my favourite moments in all six movies.

Glamdring was forged in the First Age

I thought the first Hobbit was pretty good, was really pleased with the "Misty Mountains Cold" song they did. Tolkiens songs were like 100% omitted in the other films

The hobbit movies weren't that bad...they were decent

Bad things
>too much cgi/lack of practical effects
>they fucked up radagast
>innecesary elf/dwarf love
>stupid scenes or exaggerated like Gandalf and the troll, legolas rock jumping, etc.

Good
> cast and score
>it had some powerful scenes and dialogue (acorn scene, gandalf/galadriel, thorin death)

With more time I think the movies could have been better (especially the third one, which was the worst of them)