/lbg/

Letterboxd thread: post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: what lesser-known film would you recommend from whatever year of the last two digits of this OP is

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/film/the-teacher/
letterboxd.com/heirobosch/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMUCaQH5t8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post your profile you faggot

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Not a strong 1930 showing from my self (pls rec me some more!), the #rarest ive seen is Ralph Steiner's 'Mechanical Principles' from the avant-garde masterworks blu-ray
It's a bunch of machines and cogs and shit but edited in a really hypnotic and interesting way. Probably on YouTube and stuff but would recommend trying to watch the remastered version

don't be rude

not seen much form 1930, i suppose the "rarest" i've seen and would recommend is her man, which is damn good

going to an all night horror marathon this weekend, should be interesting. should put me over 31 horror films for october which is good

What's Her Man about/what do you like about it?

What's showing at the horror-thon? There's quite a few on around me that I've seen, I still can't decide if it would be badass or a hellish miserable nightmare to go to one. Also busy so can't go to one even if I wanted :(((

its about a sailor courting a waitress in a bar on an island. its been a while since i've seen it, but i remember it having interesting camerawork, sort of fassbinder-y, and its pre-code so a little more racy. sorry i can't be more specific, i really only remember a couple scenes (a great bar brawl in particular).

i believe they're showing an american werewolf in london, popcorn, hack-o-lantern, the tingler, shocker, death bed, and brainscan. nice lineup of films, most of which i haven't seen and which are screening on 35mm so that's cool.
i think that it'll be more hellish than fun, at least by the end, not only because of the endurance but because of the damn audience. i've never had good luck with horror movie audiences (especially older ones), they always laugh inopportunely. i don't want to spoil the fun, but can't we just watch the film? still, i expect it'll nevertheless be an experience worth having. you should try it sometime user! give it a go at least once

Sounds pretty cool, thanks

And that sounds like an insanely good line-up (I bet popcorn would be a lot of fun in a crowd) I think I'd want it to be 35mm if I was to go to one, the cigarette burns one in London sounds v tempting (mainly for the killing of Satan which sounds pretty wild), but I agree that the other nerd idiots in the room would likely be annoying, especially at 4am. The cinema near where I'll be this weekend is doing 4 different horror all nighters, one is all VHS, which would be pretty cool
pls come to the thread and report back on your experience

damn that vhs one sounds cool. and 4 different all nighters is amazing. i only know of two where i am, and each were weeks apart.

I got this book on Kenny Anger, do you think fabs will love me now?

Would machill like this movie?
letterboxd.com/film/the-teacher/

I'm looking at it now and I would have to say 'possibly yes'

atmosphere cuck incoming
letterboxd.com/heirobosch/

FUCKY OU

YOUW HORE

I HATEY OU

i love you...

I LOVE YOU TOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

??????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

?????

What others would you suggest

And I've watched this coffret which covers a bunch of shorts, but just logged it as the collection

so smoothhands was the one behind it all...

>smoothhands
>not a discord buttbuddy

He's more of a discord circle jerk ass clown

>naming the thread /lbg/
Dead on arrival.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMUCaQH5t8

I just joined, don't bully me

No doubt, D.W Griffith is one of the most controversial figures in the world of Classic Hollywood. He has already gone down in film history as one of the silver screen’s earliest and most prolific innovators. Although falsely credited with inventing the close-up and other technical achievements, his use of said techniques in terms of progressing the film narrative was a breath of fresh air to the burgeoning world of film. Through use of parallel editing (the cutting back and forth of two or more scenes that often happen simultaneously and in different locations) he transformed the very essences of filmic story telling. Yes, without a doubt, Griffith’s use of advanced camera and narrative techniques paved the way for the feature-length film, still the dominant film form in the world today. If only that’s where his legacy ended.

why is everyone on letterboxd a buttmad ultra-liberal

As I’ve mentioned in a previous post (about Butterfly McQueen), the world of Classic Hollywood was not without its flaws, and racism is definitely a dark page in the lexicon of classic film. One of its worst perpetrators is a little film Griffith directed called The Birth of a Nation. Yes, while the three-plus hour Civil War epic was an innovation in narrative filmmaking, it also stands as being one of the most vile, racist films to ever come out of classic Hollywood. Rife with black face, Confederacy sympathies, and historically inaccurate representations, the film has become more famous, or in this case infamous, for its racists politics rather than its technical innovations. For this reason, despite directing over 400 films, Birth of a Nation stands as Griffith’s defining piece of work. Although Intolerance may have made more money and Broken Blossoms may have had better politics, the narrative of D.W Griffith will always be dominated by Birth of Nation and the controversy that surrounds it.

bump

here's my profile

thanks

that'll be 50 bucks

Sorry I'm a little short