Riverdale Ratings

spoilertv.com/2017/01/ratings-news-27th-january-2017.html

Riverdale ratings are out.
It bombed.

Archie comics on suicide watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/scooby-doo-reboot-scoob-2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not sure what they were expecting with a concept as hilariously off-tone as this

>premiered at below the CW average
DEAD SHOW WALKING

>mfw Archie Comics bet everything on this

>Fucking Supernatural which is on life support had more views that Riverdale

It''s getting good reviews, though. If they remain consistent the CW won't pull the plug on it, as shown by Jane The Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I actually enjoyed the first episode, it's got potential.

>Archie comics on suicide watch?

>>mfw Archie Comics bet everything on this

What are you talking about?

>Supernatural
>Life support

user, the ratings have been going UP for the past two seasons.

Six more seasons and a movie trilogy on the way.

> as shown by Jane The Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Those shows cost pennies to make.

Aren't CW famous for never cancelling anything?
Anyway I liked the episode, but they shouldn't have called it Archie.

They ended their classic lines and relaunched Archie as a more modern comic after major financial losses to lawsuits from some of the more on the spectrum sonic comics guys who capitalized on a fire destroying old contracts.

The relaunch did not fair well.

Where the fuck can it possibly go?
They were stretching when they had the Leviathans as supposedly a bigger threat than reality warping angels when somehow all they did was eat shit and that was like 5 seasons ago.

>Aren't CW famous for never cancelling anything?

As one of the nine people who watches Frequency, I hope this holds.

Their relaunch tanked, their Black Circle lineup tanked, the only thing that sells are their horror books and they come out once a year, and Sega are supposedly looking into pulling their license.

It doesn't help that on top of that, they're getting sued by old Sonic creative, and their CEO is a retard who's getting some lawsuits on top.

So they bet everything on this one show pulling them out of the drain.

Archie bet everything on this show saving them after the relaunch bombed.

The relaunch comic sales are shit both physical and digital. And all signs point to them losing the sonic comics.

With all the legal problems they keep having, they were betting on the TV show to pull a big audience and keep them alive.

Riverdale isn't expensive either. No CGI, no elaborate setpieces or period settings, etc.

But I liked it.

It 2as actually a well written and paced first episode that set up all the charcaters,therearcs,the premise and setting while also having a self contained story and likeable, yet flawed charcaters.

I actually was stoked for overthe top bullshit and while there were twings of that, it was flavor on an honestly well paced teen drama.

Its like a more comicbooky degrassi.

Heres hope it picks up and/or cw's habit of not canceling shit and loving Berlanti keeps it up

>Aren't CW famous for never cancelling anything?
What is Reaper/Privileged/Life Unexpected?

Although to be fair that second season of Life Unexpected sucked major dick so it deserved to get canned

>they were betting on the TV show to pull a big audience and keep them alive.
What percentage of the money from the TV show do they get?

As someone who regularly watches CW TV live and thus is exposed to its commercials regularly, they fucked up

It's hard to catch the casual fan with you "bold reinterpretation" of Archie if you never fucking mention any character's name other than Jason Blossom in your commercial

How's Frequency, by the way.

I'm one of the few people that watched and liked the movie.

And it only sucks them in further.

So when can we see another "death of Archie" special that just so happens to nuke the rest of Riverdale?

If Archie goes under, I assume someone will swoop in and buy all their IPs, right?

I bet you Warner Bros. is salivating at the prospect

And Archie's FCBD issue this year is a promotion of Riverdale. It would be hilarious if by the time it came out the show has already been canned.

Sonic and/or Mega Man maybe.

I get the feeling the Riverdale gang will remain in limbo, however.

I imagine Marvel or DC would want to get their golden age shit. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Dynamite end up getting it. Their Sega books will probably get licensed to Boom or IDW

It's a pretty decent serialised murder mystery. The way they changed the Nightingale story-line is fairly smart, and the acting across the board was genuinely excellent and way better then most CW stuff.

It's saccharine in the way the movie was, but combined with an actual mystery. It's a little long(it could have been 10 eps instead of 13) but other then that, I'd recommend it.

I can already see the companies fighting over Sabrina.

>I get the feeling the Riverdale gang will remain in limbo, however.
Even if the new comics don't sell, the digest books reprinting classic comics apparently still make money, they even get sold in supermarkets for some reason.

Honestly I doubt Sega is gonna wanna take Sonic to another publisher. Absolute best case scenario is them going to IDW and picking up where they left off with a renumbering (Hell, use 292 as the relaunch base and SU95 as Universe's and it can actually work) and the same creative team but that's unlikely

Not sure.
Rumors suggest they get more from netflix then CW though

Disney would be pretty interested as well. The 7-season Sabrina TV show aired on ABC.

I very much doubt they invested heavily in this. It's more likely they just got a big fat check.

Source?

It's very unusual to hear of a property's owner putting their money in to a show like that. The network's money should have financed it and paid for the rights - ie, paid money to Archie, which they'd get regardless of ratings.

The only problem is that there's not likely to be more money going forward as the show won't continue, but that's not as big a problem as you're making out.

When you say tanked, do you mean Diamond sales or are you talking ABC figures as well? Because Archie is one of the few comic book publishers who sell vastly more outside of Diamond than through Diamond retailers.

I'm sure the Sega stuff isn't helping, but Sega's comics can't be selling that well anyway if they're pulling the license; which means as the license goes, so does the cost of maintaining it: the horror books can be bumped up and sold monthly if they do sell well, so that's literally a solution rather than a problem, and lawsuits are just a fact of life in publishing. Seriously, you get sued by cranks all the time.

I know the Penders stuff looks like it's all gone his way and he's steamrollering everything in his path, but the fact is he's probably going to overreach himself. Going to court is like betting: you do it when you're desperate or when you've got an excellent chance of winning (but a pretty low return), or you do it because you're an idiot. Most people are idiots. Penders... doesn't seem like a smart guy.

Especially since, when Sega takes the license away, Archie then *don't have that responsibility*. They don't have to defend a license they don't hold. They can just settle - on terms that fuck Sega and cost them little more than their own legal fees. At which point Penders will probably sign up, imagining he's going to get his costs back from Sega. But he won't.

He won't.

Oh shit, I forgot that was a TGIF show

There's gonna be a war

Why is the relaunch tanking?

and Josie and the Pussycats is regarded as a Classic Cartoon Network show, so WB would want to have those i suppose

The other three people who enjoyed No Tomorrow are also quietly listening

>Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I like that show so much. I though to was doing well...

As in particular reasons? Waid cant write teenagers for shit, Jughead was terrible under Zdarsky, so much that fucking North has actually made it readable, Betty and Veronica is fine, but Hughes on art means it's gonna be a quarterly book at best, Josie and the Pussycats is trying too hard at being "lol so wacky" and failing

Fuck the ratings, I liked this.

>Josie and the Pussycats is trying too hard at being "lol so wacky" and failing

Is it trying to be meta and bizarre like the movie or just LOL RANDOM nonsense?

Du Jour means friendship

>north writes a better reggie/everyomr than waid
Jesus

>LOL RANDOM
This
Its a bennet book

LOL RANDOM nonsense. Had it gone full meta like the movie it'd have been great.

Honestly, the whole relaunch has been a complete disappointment outside of North. And that's something I never though I'd ever say about North. They just picked the wrong writers for it

Ah man that sucks. I love the movie and was hoping that someone else would take that idea of the property and do something with it again.

Nice to see other people liking and giving it a chance. It was getting tedious to just hear Sup Forums go not muh Archie as it that means anything anymore

>Betty and Veronica is fine, but Hughes on art means it's gonna be a quarterly book at best,
Seriously, do we even know when the next issue is coming?

Just finished it, i liked it a lot. Ultimate CW cheese, but comfily so. Great waifus, fun, evocative direction.

Just finished reading the live thread from last night, man, very cynical here, not used to seeing Sup Forums so catty.

The only reason those shows survive is because cw is a joint venture between both WB and CBS. They need to keep a certain number CBS shows alive or they get in trouble. Crazy EX and Jane are those shows, so was Reign but I'm pretty sure that show ended.

>What'd you wanna do?
>Anything but kissing cause that'd be gay
Fucking, closet homo fucking on a beach at night is what normies do?

About to watch this real soon, what should I expect?

Because right now I'm expecting a cast of ridiculously pretty "actors" "acting" with overwrought and melodramatic plotlines that hinge on already flimsy and paper-thin stereotyped characters being as stupid and selfish as possible. Also a blue filter for some reason.

Hidden Palms user here
Don't hold your breath too long

>Anything but kissing cause that'd be gay

As a gay dude that's hooked up with a few "straight" dudes, that's pretty much spot on. I've literally fucked a dude in his ass but he didn't want to kiss because that was too much.

You know what to expect, obviously, as you're shitting on it already. Make sure you post as you "watch" too.

>Reaper
It still hurts
At least Ben is on Arrow now, for better or worse

Don't be a bitch just because the CW has developed a type and Greg Berlanti's shows are similar. I'll give it a fair shot.

Honestly, what should I expect?

>About to watch this real soon, what should I expect?

Pretty Little Liars meets Degrassi with a dash of Twin Peaks

Last night I honestly felt tense in the last 10 minutes

>a dash of Twin Peaks
If Sabrina is actually showing up, that's a lot more than a dash

This. It's pretty rare that a show makes me think it's actually going to kill one of its main characters, but it got real fucking close.

>It bombed.
Thank fucking god

>Sonic and/or Mega Man maybe.

Those aren't Archie IPs, though.

>As someone who regularly watches CW TV

You're either a masochist or a 15 year old girl.

>Reaper

It was a Tyler Labine show that lasted TWO SEASONS. That's what resisting cancellation looks like, user.

That's what those cucks get for fucking with Sonic.

It would be neat to get a dtv Scooby-Doo Archie crossover movie

Plus they own the cartoon rights to Josie through HB, right?

It'd make sense for WB to want Archie entirely, especially with their HB Cinematic Universe starting up.

Inconsistent quality and sales that don't make up for expendetures.

Also, people like Archie when it's a series of themes and variations or a goofy, radically different take. Horror stuff works because you know the cast and it's so jarring, and tge regular stuff works because it's always a new spin on a classic, but the new stuff is self-serious and generic. Why read a generic book, right?

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has the least viewers on Network television for two years running
it's my favorite show

I was stoked for the relaunch, the art has been great, and I like Waid fine but why put a 55 year old man on a teen book? His attempts to be youthful read really awkward.

what about Riverdale makes you think it costs much to make?

Archie and Marvel did it for the same reason: they think putting his name on it will make it sell.

>running in middle of the pack for ratings
>bomb

5 seasons and a movie.

WB would almost certainly go after them.

Same reason they opened a kickstarter: Because Archie is run by actual retards.

The new Josie and the Pussycats comic is actually ridiculously good. The dialog is great and the Pussycats play off of eachother better than any Marvel or DC superteam.

Seriously, I could read that comic forever.

They were expecting another gossip girl but got another secret circle

Supernatural is still airing is all I took from this thread. Good lord I don't even see how someone can still be following it

Oh well.

On to waiting for the romance based Cloak and Dagger show bwing peoducwd for Freeform.

>running in the middle on premiere night
m8

People are actually tuning in for this shit? It looks damn awful.

It's actually good.

it's still leader of all the new shows this season, and it had no pre-existing fanbase to run on.

If this ran when they still had gossip girl it would be a completely different thing but this show was meant more for women and network ran off women and has 5 nights of capeshit.

They can't decide what they want to be as a network. You can't be capeshit central and young girls network like they were before. They lost all men they had from smallville and they quadrupled down.

>HB Cinematic Universe

Wait, that's going to be a thing?

to add onto my previous point, the network lead in did a 1.7, they ended the night with a 1.3, and while those numbers are anemic for any other network, it is good for them. To put it into contrast you're going after a much younger demographic. We're talking shit like MTV as comparable where they can't even get 600 to 800k people anymore for their new stuff. This is the network that lead the guido movement with many millions of fans. The same network is now telling white people why they're so terrible for the coming year.

So in terms of competition in young people market, the show will be okay which is why they have little pressure to sell since they know they have their high end branded capeshit that will sell dvds. Their network has a core market cornered, so now they can do as many shitty low end shows as they want.

screenrant.com/scooby-doo-reboot-scoob-2018/

The first film is a scooby doo reboot.

I did enjoy how they took advantage of the future being changed by actions in the past. Especially when "Yeah the past is going to erase all of this so fuck it I'm gonna shoot this guy."

Bummer about Black Circle. I actually liked The Shield, but the delays were awful.

I used to buy those as a kid. They were pretty inexpensive for their size. And it's not like I'd read 40+ years of Archie comics.

>Supernatural
>on life support
Good one.

kys

Incoming Archie phase one, and Archie comes with a slew of Golden Age heroes.

That shows knocked at deaths door multiple times.

That's what kills most of their comics. The fucking delays.
AND ARCHIE SONIC KEEPS GETTING HIT BY THEM FOR FUCK'S SAKE GET IT TOGETHER

Veronica makes me feel funny in my pants.

is she Italian?

She's Mexican American.

>If this ran when they still had gossip girl
Did you watch last night? Gossip girl mk 2 is alive and well
>Humble dad has history with rich divorcee
>Blonde with troubled sibling
>Rich bitch brunette
>Absurdly mature teenagers
I'm just waiting for Mr Lodge to be Bart bass

They needed Kickstarter money but they had to cancel the Kickstarter because people complained they were ruining the integrity of Kickstarter.

>Not advertised as a comic adaptation of any sort
>Barely advertised in the first place
>Hardly looks like what it's even based off
>Immensely off tone, judging by the few TV spots that came out/aired
Wow, I'm shocked