Serious question

>DUDE CONSERVATIVES ARE ARCHAIC DINOSAURS WHO OPPOSE PROGRESS(TM)
Sorry to be b8 you, but was that the point of the show?

Do you think Lenny was a strawman? If he was, he was a carefully written one; still, though, I feel like he was only created to satisfy people who fantasize about conservatives losing their "outdated" and "bigoted" principles via institutional reform

Other urls found in this thread:

tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/young-pope-no-season-two-story-continues/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

that's basically what they are, according to William F Buckley.
stop being asshurt about the truth

>the only Pope in like 500 years to actually be imbued with the blessing of God is radically conservative
How is that anti-Conservative? He had God kill a lesbian.

Yeah that's what they are. They nailed it

Bravo

Can someone tell me why every second character was inexplicably homosexual?

>saint Lenny doing miracles throughout the show as a conservative
>saint Lenny turns into a liberal and dies at the last episode
What mean that?

>asshurt
90s born queer detected

That’s one of the few things the show got right

I thought the show was about the separation between God and man. God is perfect and has "conservative" ideals. People are flawed. Lenny comes to terms with this over the course of the show.

Homesexuality is far more common in the Catholic Church than in most of European society and has been for a long time. Think about it, becoming a priest has always been a way to completely ignore women without anyone asking any weird questions. Of course that's changed a bit recently, but for priests over 30 that's still the main thing.

It's the same in Orthodox yet they don't have this "occurrence" which is "far more common" as you put it. What is the source for what you write?

Reminder the current pope is an anti-pope.

>DUDE CONSERVATIVES ARE ARCHAIC DINOSAURS WHO OPPOSE PROGRESS
Not at all. Lenny's conservative impulse was a good one - he was genuinely disgusted with the hypocrisy and venality that infected the Church, and he was right to be. He had a very strong sense of showmanship, and he needed to use shock-and-awe tactics to get the Vatican establishment under his control before he could begin his real work. He also needed to let the public know that the Church would not continue to soften itself and bend to popular demand - the rules are written in stone, and you're either in it all the way, or you're out.

As the series goes on, he does not go back on that impulse. He just learns to see things with more nuance, and understand the unwanted negative consequences his "showmanship" can cause for people who aren't dealing with the big picture like he is - the young priest's suicide, and Dussolier succumbing to his vices and ending up dead. He doesn't change his stance, he just learns the importance of timing and sensitivity in making the changes he wants to see.

I think one of the best parts of the series comes in episode 9, when they draw a contrast between Gutierrez and Kurtwell. They're both homosexuals. But Gutierrez is not a hypocrite, he appears to honor his vow of chastity in the same way a heterosexual priest would be expected to. He can't necessarily control his thoughts or impulses, but he's in full control of his actions, he's a good Christian and a valuable, trustworthy friend and advisor to Lenny.

>continued from
Kurtwell is a corrupt, power-abusing hypocrite who breaks his vows at every available opportunity. And yet, they can't obtain genuine evidence of child abuse to excommunicate him, only homosexuality. Lenny can't kick Kurtwell out, AND keep Gutierrez, without becoming a hypocrite himself. By this point in the series, he's "New Testament Lenny," so he chooses love and forgiveness rather than smiting a sinner. He softens his stance on homosexuality just enough to keep Gutierrez in the Church, which means he has to keep Kurtwell too. The worst he can do is banish him to Alaska.

It's all about the importance of practicing what you preach. For someone in Lenny's position, the worst possible sin is hypocrisy. It's also about his experience of learning how every issue becomes more complicated the further your influence expands, and learning to truly follow the teachings of Christ on love and forgiveness for fellow man.

Most Orthodox priests are married

retarded bait thread. you dont deserve my insight

I'm too much of a brainlet to have come up with that. Great argument

i agree with everything but
> He had a very strong sense of showmanship, and he needed to use shock-and-awe tactics to get the Vatican establishment under his control before he could begin his real work.
the way i interpret the show is that lenny has been sent to do gods bidding, sort of like jesus. hes come to bring the church back to god. when he first becomes pope he is harsh and unflinching, he rules as if he was an ancient pope brought to the modern era. as the show progresses he grows to accept certain aspects of modern times, like with gutierrez.

bump

This has been a stellar year for tv all around, but The Young Pope stands out, it's by far the best thing I've seen in years. I've watched it 3 times already, and probably will again at some point

>the young priest's suicide

Okay, can we all take a second here to talk about how bullshit this was? The whole point of the strict interviews/tests or whatever was to weed out those who were either not faithful or were considered unfit to be a minister. If anything, it clearly worked with that guy. If he was a true Catholic, he would never kill himself, and most importantly, offing himself because he didn't make it as a priest CLEARLY proves that he was mentally unstable. If anything, he was proof that the reformed process actually worked, and that that maniac would have made it as a priest without it. Lenny should have never felt guilty about it, but should have instead flaunted it as proof that he was doing the right thing.

>3 times
Fucking hell man I know its an amazing show but do you not get bored at the slow parts ?

true but his suicide would be especially impactful to a catholic as devout as Lenny. The man didn't make the cut for priest so he damned his own soul to hell for all eternity

Well the second time, I basically just replayed it again as soon as it was done airing. For a lot I'd be working or shitposting while it was just playing on my TV, it's just so nice to look at and listen to.

Then I watched it again for real a few weeks ago, and loved it even more than I did when it first came out. It's just a great show, I dunno what to say

I almost chimped when they made Guttierez gay but I actually get it now, thank you.

I'm excited to see more of his Marian apparitions

There is going to be a season 2..
So who knows

Lenny is atheist but can perform miracles

/thread

youre an idiot

isnt it without jude law though?

He's not really an atheist, he's just pissed off that God won't return his calls

Prove me wrong

t. appeal to authority cuck

just watch a different show, this isnt for you

One of the few good shows I've seen this year. Any other shows worth watching? No TV capeshit pls.

I thought Mindhunter was very, very good. Not on the same level as TYP though

Season 2 won’t be about him though

The Africa episode was one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen.

"There's no word yet on whether The Young Pope star Jude Law will be back for the new season."
We don't know.

Protestants
It's always the Protestants

You can't have Catholic kino without some mixture of violence/torture, copious amounts of /fa/, and men doubting God and/or His existence.

No Jude Law, plus it's being called "The New Pope". Basically, it's a new show.

No there isn't. There is going to be another miniseries from the same creators called The New Pope. It is not about Lenny.

Could be good. Have they set a release date? I don't want them to rush it and end up like "True Detective"

Lenny's too likable and charismatic and his arc is too interesting for him to be considered a strawman.

It was 90% meme, but it was still one of the better shows I've seen in a while.

Yeah, my bad.
tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/young-pope-no-season-two-story-continues/

Production is set to start late next year, so sometime in 2019.

Cool. After this, I'll watch anything Sorrentino releases

Catholic seminarians IRL do go through pysch screenings, and are kicked out of they prove to be homosexual (or at least that is the official position)

well, the show actually states that Conservatives AND Liberals are a bunch of retards.

he had his own ideals, that was the point of the show, building your own opinions and don't follow the sheeps.

It's just a personal story showing a man's crisis of faith under the weight of immense power

some things slip through the cracks, like any human institution. I knew a seminarian who believed The Force from Star Wars was real, and kept on trying to proselytize his classmates on the idea, and lasted a little over a semester in seminary before the higher-ups, uh, "caught wind" of such interesting views.

This show is way more enjoyable if you're Catholic and you the subtler fuck yous

what is some other essential Hat Kino

Watch the Big Little Lies mini series. Some of the best written characters I've ever seen.

It was pretty good, but I'm pissed they won 8 Emmies and The Young Pope wasn't even nominated except in a few technical categories. I might fanboy too hard for TYP, but I genuinely think it was something unique and new in the world of TV, whereas Big Little Lies was just a standard drama executed well

Holy dubs incoming

>show is airing in Burgerland
>decide to look up some reviews
>they're talking about Lenny and referring to him as a "super villain"
>tfw there are people so pleb that they immediately think any person in position of high religious power is immediately some capeshit villain

I truly cannot imagine how painful it must be just to exist as one of these people.

>reading reviews
what did you expect user?

The fuck are you talking about

The Church was going for a more "modern" approach and he spent the whole show trying to change things by making it even more conservative

And he was the villain.

>Is Lenny a strawman?
No. Not even Rolling Stone thinks this.
He's not pro-gay now either, he just realizes Gutierrez is in control of himself and won't act on his impulses.

He's not abandoning his principles by suddenly preaching forgiveness either; in fact, when's the last time you heard of a liberal forgiving someone?
>I'm actually not a racist.
>Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were. Let me take this hitpiece down.

He was cool as fuck, performing miracles and shit, literally a saint
How can anyone see him as a villain

the show was always bound to trigger people looking for a liberal pat on the back with its title and the first episodes bait and switch

>Americans in charge of understanding things

Scene with James Cromwell passing away was also really well done. Hope season two is just as good.

> pretentious style
> baby-tier intrigue
> god saves the day
> ridiculous character development
> unrealistic plot
> lenny the mary-sue
> Muh feelings
> half the show is in fucking Italian
> ambiguous ending leaves audience unsatisfied
> some plot points remain unresolved
> they actually thought they would get a second season

Twin Peaks The Return. Really the only one