What happened to western animation?

What happened to western animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

kisscartoon.se/Cartoon/Randy-Cunningham-9th-Grade-Ninja-Season-01/Episode-019-Enter-the-Nomicon-Swampy-Seconds?id=11151
youtu.be/JOjVHNOYm-8
youtube.com/watch?v=fCSj0b22X1M
youtube.com/watch?v=hBsPFiqwgnE
youtube.com/watch?v=-hOgnxxZA_s
youtube.com/watch?v=izWv6n3QdDE
youtube.com/watch?v=n_a5ZCr3pXQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is this fan made or a sneak peek?

Fan made, the actual creators are lazy as fuck and don't know how to create action scenes.

It's not taken seriously as a n artform because nobody takes it seriously as an art form because no one takes it seriously as an art form, ad infinitum.

Fanmade, but made by a professional animator.

More focus on 3D animation.

Seriously. I love this show, but the creators and lead animators are lazy as shit.

Money and absorbing the wrong elements of Anime.

>there are student animators who look up to this show

I enjoy it somewhat, but they can't be serious about that shit. There isn't anything special about the style or animation, most shots are boring.

Seriously, comedy shows like Gumball and Regular Show have better action scenes and fights than Steven Universe. How the hell is this possible? Why SU creators are so fucking bad at this?

>7 Steven Universe threads

Sup Forums loves to hate to love SU

The major of excuse of 2008 (an economy crisis) when reality it's a lack of competence due to too many idiotic incapable lazy mentally deranged lunatics not learning properly in school. Those retards become teachers and teach everyone else to think and behave like retards.

The only comment I can agree with here.

For all the jokey, mildly passive aggressive stuff Sup Forums likes to say about overseas animators, animation is labor that requires not only technical skill, but a bit of physical and mental fortitude to produce. The new animators in the US just don't grind the way the guys in the East and Europe still do. because we've outsourced the toughest and cruelest jobs. They aren't toughened and polished by the grueling repetition, the inhumane hours, and the masochistic work ethos.

Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Animators have taken that conserved energy and out it towards innovating in other areas. But within the very specific and specialized confines of traditional 2D animation, the US would never be leaders in technique again.

This, honestly. Art school used to teach technical proficiency, now it's mostly a self-entitled circle jerk for the emotionally fragile to fingerpaint and whinge about how unfair life is because they aren't permitted a free ride for all their unmarketable "creativity."

retards like you

You sure showed him.

It's because they actually know how to animate and give scenes that good weight properly. The SU storyboard artists have no idea how to do that. I always found Regular Show and Gumball more based anyway though. Especially Regular Show, I watched through all of it over the holidays and my god was that show amazing. Any other shows like Regular Show?

yea i did

Animation is super hard and takes a long time. They have strict deadlines they have to meet and the pay isnt exactly stellar, fanmade animations like this take as much time as they have to make an episode, it explains a lot.

What? no nothing happened... it's... it's still there... in tiny bits. Oh hey look over at 8:08, isn't that some great non-floaty choreography going on there?

kisscartoon.se/Cartoon/Randy-Cunningham-9th-Grade-Ninja-Season-01/Episode-019-Enter-the-Nomicon-Swampy-Seconds?id=11151

this. asians do too much and americans as a whole werent raised to grind that hard lmao

what you mean that one "action scene" in Gumball where they literally go full anime and actually bring in both guest artists and animators to do it cause they don't actually know how

and even then its using every single trick in action animation to make things look impressive without actually doing anything, like having characters move so fast they just look like blurs and having massive amounts of smoke and dust block most of the action

then again based on your image your idea of action is likely standing still to power up followed by blurs of people supposedly moving fast and explosions creating a lot of obscuring smoke

>what you mean that one "action scene" in Gumball where they literally go full anime
Nop. I am talking about regular scenes. Same with Regular show

How has the western audience ever financially supported quality in animation?

and how exactly do we do that anyway?

buy the toys?

Honestly I think that is just a dumb business model, especially when CN apparently doesn't know how to make toy contracts

and sadly asians are too dumb to understand proper talent, care and sunshine.

>shiting on Dragon Ball
SUfags are this delusional

This plus computer generated 2D animation (Flash animation).
Traditional animation is dead.

>uses a .webm from Super and not Dragon Ball Z which is all most people ever watched

Listen user Dragon Ball had and has a lot of good action, way better than anything we ever see in the west, but they also knew how to and seriously did cut corners at times, don't pretend they didn't

all the time? no, and generally not for the really important scenes but there are fights that use more animation tricks than actual good animation and while you probably don't notice them as a kid if you seriously don't notice now you should take a better look

dragon ball super is shit tho

Gumball has a FUCK TON of chase sequences, "run out the clock" sequences, or just fun action scenes in general. Like that one scene of Gumball falling out of the plane trying to catch the robot friend.

greedy companies that make shit like TTG

super is shit, but the fights are nice. Better than z anyway

The Koreans got tired

You fags always need to act like TTG is the source of the problem.

Original Dragon Ball is pretty good. Dragon Ball Z is overrated almost decent garbage with some nice idea, which Steven Universe executed better.
You can't prove me wrong

Hey remember that one episode of DBZ where the whole thing was spent on a guy screaming

>some nice idea, which Steven Universe executed better
What a shitty bait

DBZ has always been bad, and Super is even worse, especially in the animation department.

You'd be delusional to think it isn't, at the very least, an ever-growing tumor on western animation. Same with modern Spongebob. The animation and (90% of the time) writing are absolute garbage, and yet they're the biggest money makers on their respective networks.

It's the biggest example of mediocre animation stealing the spotlight from better written, better animated shows
So no shit people act like it's the source

>facts I don't like are bait

it's not the source, but it is a symptom.

>no one remembers this
youtu.be/JOjVHNOYm-8

Blaming mass appeal on a studio is fucking stupid. Companies don't create trends, they follow the money, and the money is TTG. If Steven Universe made money, people would make a fucking ton of clones of those, too. Studios aren't running a fucking charity, they're not going to make "art inspired" shows with high budgets because you really, really want them if they don't see a large return.

youtube.com/watch?v=fCSj0b22X1M

Literally, your average battle in Xiaolin Showdown beats the shit out of the "grand finale" of a fucking SU fight.

using superficial plot elements for an entirely different thematic purpose isn't "executing it better", it's just a different show

it's mid-season actually

The "industry" or investors, and distributors only gives one person or group a shot every 5 years or so. Rather than taking all comers with decent marketable ideas. In order to save money. Because producing animation is fucking expensive. Be grateful you get ANYthing,because it's afucking miracle that nit even got produced or greenlit in the firstplace.

also Americans have become lazy as fuck, in general. shirking work onto other countries, consuming the product and then feeling entitled enough to bitch about its quality.

Is that the anime or the movie?

"Grand finale", not season finale.

Grand finale of an arc that had been built up and anticipated for a full season at that point.

>I'm angry this ripoff is better than the original

Oh, I see.

Who needs animation and when you have agendas?

>that one "action scene" in Gumball
dude.
youtube.com/watch?v=hBsPFiqwgnE
Still has better sequences than some choreographed dancing space rocks.

>all those SUfags mad at Dragon ball
For fuck sake. You guys are pathetic

youtube.com/watch?v=-hOgnxxZA_s

dragon ball is fine though

I dropped it during all that GF romance drama bullshit, not much better afterwards I hear.

I'm not an SU fag you dumb fuck, not even the most massive DBZ spic fanboy can say that show is actually any good. The animation in that video, while mostly not being bad, isn't even impressive and it's still miles better than anything in Super, it's bad when even the Pokemon anime has better animation than Super.

You ever watched pro-wrestling, dude?

The most successful performers are the ones who were able to garner the crowd's attention with style over substance. By doing as much as possible while being as lazy as possible.

That's just life, brother.

How the fuck can anyone look at that fight scene and say that was acceptable?

>You ever watched pro-wrestling, dude?
ye
>The most successful performers are the ones who were able to garner the crowd's attention with style over substance.
Oh okay
> By doing as much as possible while being as lazy as possible.
ye

There's nothing wrong with it so I'm going to guess pretty easily.

>how exactly do we do that anyway?
Wakfu kickstarter
MLP toys including happy meal toys
DVD boxes
Movie ticket to see Kubo
Watching them through official mediums instead of downloading them

But no, lets just sit on Sup Forums, DL episodes from MEGA and bitch and whine about animation quality going down the drain.

well. pokemon actually has a decent amount of founding while toei has wasted all their dragon ball related money in shit stuff like arcades and pachinko machines, they only revived the anime to keep the rights and continue milking a dead franchise.

Maybe in the 90's but not today

People will pop way harder for a 450 off the top rope then a catch phrase

I'm sorry you think that is good?

I can't tell if it was meant to be a reference to 2D fighters or not, that entire first part kinda looks like it, but the next half where characters are attempting to actually move and interact in 3 dimensions just looks clunky as all hell so I think they might have gone for the 2D fighter look for most of it cause they realized that was the only way this could look decent

also is a parade of references to older action shows and movies suppose to impress me? I'm sure its so hard to do action when you literal plagiarize half your scene anyway

Canon OTP You can't prove me wrong!

>a fight scene didn't catch my attention
>therefore the show is bad

/thread

I understand the complaint about the fight, but I really like that the crewniverse puts effort into drawing hands. I also like the music at the end of the fight, very nice way to wrap it up.

Dragon Ball is entertaining. That is its point. It is dumb fun. An compare that DBZ fight to this DBZ are better than anything in modern cartoons

>mfw half way through listening to youtube.com/watch?v=izWv6n3QdDE when I clicked on the gif

>pachinko machines
Literal cancer. Why is this allowed?

yep.thats this thread
i specially love how in DBZ fights everyone waits for someone else to transform and the moments they just stand there and look at each other doing nothing because the manga didnt catch up yet.
yeah totally great fights.how can anyone compete

it's a form of legal gamblin in a nation with illegal gambling rules, most people that play that shit are old people with lots of money to waste.

yeah but that just means what you do to get people attention has changed

it doesn't mean there is more substance, only a different style than it use to be, I mean are people like the Undertaker or John Cena popular because of their impressive technical skill when it comes to the art of wrestling?

no, surely they do have a great amount of skill but their popularity doesn't come from how good they are at the technical aspects of professional wrestling

>everyone waits for someone else to transform
That is part of the fun youtube.com/watch?v=n_a5ZCr3pXQ

I'd say that even if SU's animation is worse than DBS, it has deeper characters and a more complex story. The story and characters in in DB have always been really retarded.

there have been some moments where the animators get there act together

Then the show shouldn't bother having fucking action or fight scenes if they're just going to half-ass it. It's like if a shitty kung fu sequence suddenly appeared in a soap opera, yeah, no shit it's gonna be a huge blemish. They should just stick to drama and slice of life if they want that.

It's like an action movie having bad jokes and you going, "I-it's not a comedy!". That doesn't excuse bad fucking jokes, just leave them out.

Pearl is so pretty when she fights

Wow, seeing a lengthy transformation sequence that has worse animation than most Naruto filler, and that will lead into the same shit we've seen many times before. Riveting.

They focused on making Waifus instead.

Absolute garbage

>and how exactly do we do that anyway?
This.
I WANT to give them money! but there is no way for me to do so!

More like not taken seriously because of the old mentality of "animated mediums are for kids". I tried showing my 70-year-old dad how wrong that mindset was, and he doubled down. "That guy just ripped the other guy's arm off. SEE?! That's kid shit! That could never happen in a real fight!" Totally ignoring how such a thing is kinda not cool for kids to be subjected to, and adults are better suited in most cases to mentally deal with such a scene. Then again, he's black and a lot of black people have issues with suspension of disbelief and speculative fiction, which is why black-directed scifi movies aren't a thing and the pool of black scifi authors is TINY, and will probably never grow.

>2D fighters
What

Bullshit. They do stuff like that 360 camera orbit for "It's Over Isn't It". They have the ability and opportunity to put some level of care into certain parts of the animation at least, they just don't give a fuck enough to do it for action scenes.

>everyone waits for someone else to transform
Krillin: Yeah, we DO kinda do that...a LOT.

>yfw Genndy will save us from all the Tumblrcore cartoons in March and usher in a new era of action animation

But they utterly failed at that. Best designed Gems like Lapis and Pearl have the worst personalities, and the Gems with good personalities have shit designs.

>i dont like these fighting scenes.they arent anime enough.therefore it is bad and shouldnt be a action show

Dude, not every cartoon has the same budget, especially if it's for TV. They work off the best they can with the budget they have.

They probably mean fighting games, which makes me think they've never actually seen fighting games.
They also apparently believe that having the camera show a fight between 2 or more people from the side is a technique limited to fighting games, which also makes me think they've never seen a martial arts movie.

>new era
more likely the last action show ever made, it would have to a huge success in every way to catch on, not just well liked, by also highly rated, high dvd/digital sales and had to have had a reasonable budget in respect to its numbers

and even if that all happens it still won't lead to anything good, probably just more reboots of old action shows like that Thundercats reboot from a few years back, as animation studios pump out half ass attempts at imitating a master

don't you know anything about serious waifu fags?

the worse the personality the more the waifu is loved

Why do you think Asuka and Rei are some of the most popular girls of all time in anime, they both are hot and half awful personalities

Reminder that Genndy likes Rebecca Sugar and helped her get SU made, even working in the pilot.