Doesn't give up Katara

>doesn't give up Katara
>goes into Avatar state anyway
>gets hit with lightning, nothing works
>gets hit with a rock, everything's fine again

Can someone explain chakras to me?

Deus Ex Machina's.

Chakras aren't real like all spiritual gobbledygook, they're just lazy people's attempts to explain how the body works without doing any real research.

>Can someone explain chakras to me?
clearing his chakras was one way of mastering the Avatar state, not the only, previous Avatars have had loved ones too after all, and they mastered the state

Aang had a block in his chi network due to the injury to his back from the lightning causing all the energy from his avatar state to hit a block there and build up, the rock released this energy when it hit him causing him to enter an uncontrolled Avatar state, he then left it through sheer determination not to take a life

Pressure-points are a thing in-setting, and have HnK-levels effects on people who have them. Under the assumption that the lightning just shorted out his primary heart chakra-point-thing, and nobody was willing to apply life-threatening pressure to the point in any attempt to fix it, a near-death-experience combined with the rock applying dangerous amounts of force to the pressure point that the lightning shut off could be the only in-setting explanation required (or offered).

Yeah but didn't the guru say his chakras would be permanently locked since he gave up partway through

iirc he symbolically gave up on katara in the crystal cave when he walled himself off to give himself time to get into the avatar state

It would have been better if there were actual consequences to his actions, like losing a good portion of his past lives.

Which is why he found another method

Fuck off, Bryke.

You already did that in Korra and it was the most cringeworthy part of the series. Stop trying to ruin your one good piece of work retroactively.

Did you miss the season2 finale? He did give up Katara (MOR EOR LESS) and got the Avatar state.

Got hit with lightning: he died and the chakra got messed up preventing him from going OP. The rock knocked everything back.

Deus ex petra

The guru was wrong. Where did he even learn this shit that would suggest it's 100% accurate and trustworthy?

>Korra losing her previous lives was cringeworthy
There is plenty to not like without you just imagining flaws.

Retarded child. All that bullshit with the Avatar state was one of the main flaws of the original.

They taste good, yum!

Yeah, he said he was going to, but he's still be super in love with her through the rest of the show so I don't think he actually did

>Can someone explain chakras to me?
You know how Tai Lee can hit people in certain places to block their chakras? The rock hit Aang in a similar way and released all the blocked chakra.

I don't see why people call this an asspull, it was an absolutely established part of how "chi" in Avatar works.

It's not the chi thing that was the asspull. It was that the rock just so happened to form into a point that wasn't sharp enough to skewer Aang, but pointed to jab the blocked chakra point.

You are dumb.

All the avatars had loved ones.

He was just willing to let her go.

Fantasy is a fickle genre because it's the most prone to Deus Ex Machinas.

He didn't have to give up Katara forever.

He just had to learn to let go of her if it was ever deemed necessary.

The Guru should have really made that clear.

I've always thought it should have been unlocked by a near fatal lightning redirect from Ozai that unlocked the chakra.

Being willing to let her go doesn't mean he's not allowed to love her.
It means accepting the possibility that she may not be permanently in his life. It's like a failsafe to prevent his chakras from being clogged up again, like after the Nomads died.
The Air Nomads were killed but Aang learned to move passed that by accepting his love for them had been reincarnated as love for Katara, however, that just puts us back at square one should Katara die. By being willing to let go of Katara, Aang's accepting the possibility that his love for her might be reincarnated as love for something/someone he doesn't yet know in the future and not getting hang-ups about it again.

>>gets hit with lightning, nothing works
>>gets hit with a rock, everything's fine again
Chi-blocking

This actually makes sense, thanks

The only reason losing her past lives was dumb was because she never talked to them anyway, and because she ended up getting free magic bullshit to win anyway.

>doesn't give up Katara
>goes into Avatar state anyway
As already discussed before, Aang never had to give up stuff to get to the avatar state; he just had to be ABLE to give up;

monks don't have to live naked, they just have to be able to give up clothing if necessary. Some avatars even had lovers, and even kids, like Roku.

>gets hit with lightning, nothing works
>gets hit with a rock, everything's fine again
it's the 'get hit in the head and forgets everything' trope. Nothing wrong with it.

by concept, no.

I've not seen this show, who's the confused looking hot girl?

Plotbending

filename

So all he had to do was stop thinking about his waifu for five seconds to master the avatar state, and he refused to do it?

As I said The explanation he was given were really unclear.

If the Guru had just said "Don't worry, you just have to stop thinking about her for a few seconds while you activate the power-up then you can keep loving her" it wouldn't have been as dramatic

Filename is a good name for a girl.

Well, obviously.

But S3 would never have happened if he had.

What's a chuck-ra?

I was in a Chick tract thread and posters lose their shit over someone not knowing who Jack Chick was. When someone doesn't know who Ty Lee is, no one says anything. This board is weird. Anyway, I don't care that he didn't know.

That's a pretty big ask desu

jack chick is a much better waifu than ty lee so I understand it

Every bittersweet story of love and loss has had the same message. You can love someone, realize that the time you spent together was important and precious, but when they go, you find a way to make peace with that, cherish the memories you made together and keep them in your heart while moving forward. Doesn't mean you don't do everything ethical in your power to save/help them, but no one is omnipotent nor a god (at least not those this message is usually given to).

All it's saying is to not give into despair and use that connection as an excuse to self-destruct or commit unspeakable atrocities in the name of lost love. Easy enough to get viewers to accept this view when the loved one is already in the ground but try to do so when they're all still alive and suddenly accusations of being a heartless monster who shuns love and attachments start flying around. It was the same for the jedi and Anakin couldn't wrap is dumbass head around the concept either.

Don't know if the fault is with the viewers, the creators or both. 'If you love someone, let them go' can't be that hard to wrap your head around.

I think the blame falls more on the creators than the audience.

I didn't really understand what happens here for a while.

I was there, I remember you nigger.

There are people that don't watch Avatar. Everybody here who's not a newfag know's who Jack Chick was.

Aang didn't have to let go of Katara because, as Avatar Yengchen explained in the show and the flash game, the avatar's duty is to the world, so they can never let go of their earthly attachment. Guru Pathik smply didn't know this.

It was pretty easy to get.

Zen saying:

One mountain, many paths.

Guru gave one path, Aang found another. The entirety of ATLA was about breaking from tradition. Zuko broke free from a generational history of imperial conquest, Aang broke away from the Avatar's tradition of sacrificing spiritual enlightenment for the sake of the world, Katara broke tradition of female offensive waterbending, etc etc

>Katara broke tradition of female offensive waterbending
Not really. That tradition didn't exist in the Southern Water tribe.

She still broke the tradition in the NWT.

Ironically, if Pakku hadn't been sexist and told Katara to go to the kitchen to learn healing, Aang and Zuko would have died.

>Aang broke away from the Avatar's tradition of sacrificing spiritual enlightenment for the sake of the world
That was an airbender thing, not an Avatar thing.

>S3 would never have happened if he had
Actually, Aang was able to give up on Katara in the end and manage to master the avatar state. And S03 would need to happen anyway.

I mean if he had mastered it before going back to Ba Sing Se, Azula would not have stoood a chance.

Azula shouldn't have stood a chance in the first place, since in hindsight it was a bs plot move to have Azula able to hit him.

That's not blocking chakra, that's hitting nerve clusters to immobilize.

This is the simplest answer

I get that part, it's just the whole "Hit yourself in the back" was such a dumb way to go to fix your problem.

That was the spiritual equivalent of those "get hit in the head, get amnesia, get hit in the head, get all your memories back" sitcom episodes. It wasn't very well thought out and stupid.

Because it was an asspull.
They wanted Katara to get with Aang even if it didn't make sense.
The end.

The official novelization for Sozin's Comet clearly shows Aang not giving up Katara. He was able to solve his problems by hitting a rock. That isn't how chakras work, but whatever.

I don't know why Paku was trying to teach Aang how to enter in the avatar state if Aang couldn't bend fire yet. The show deals a lot with balance and even pointed out back in season 1 that Aang shouldn't try to learn firebending before water and earth. I think, in universe, it's something to be avoided.

Maybe Paku knew Aang wouldn't be able to do it.

There is no explanation.
Bryke are bullshit and Korra confirms it.

Chi flows through in the body along channels, like blood in veins. Her pressure point strikes didn't just hit physical nerves, they could also hit places that blocked chi flow, temporarily turning off a bender's ability to bend.

This, it's a decent idea but the execution is so, so bad.

Fuck, EVERYTHING in Sozin's Comet suffers from poor execution. The taking out of the blimps, the Zuko/Azula/Katara fight, even how long it took us to get to the main fight.

The series finale really, really foreshadows Korra with its poor execution.

>clearly shows Aang not giving up Katara
He chose to fight rather than protect her directly. That's putting the world's needs ahead of her, which was what he was supposed to do. Accept that she may be lost.
>He was able to solve his problems by hitting a rock
No, his problem was having to face Ozai without killing him. Fighting him to that point was another conflict entirely. Both were poorly executed, sure, but the show makes it obvious it's a physical block. Chakras are both physical and spiritual, hence why chiblocking works at all.

He did give her up though. It's why he hid in the crystal.

I came in here to say this, yeah.

I dunno, i liked the rock "Deus Ex Machina", it remind me of Frieza vs. Goku.

The pathway that was cutting off Aang's avatar state was caused by his injury more than his emotional state, that's why the rock changed it. Also, giving up Katara in terms of enlightenment doesn't mean doing away with her, it means that you give up your need for her. You can love someone without being attached to them, so Aang can love Katara and be the Avatar. What would have been worse is if he became attached to the ideas that the guru gave him, Aang found his own way and his own way allowed him to not need to sacrifice or hurt anyone he cared for.

She's 14.

It is a small part of the whole picture rather than being the crux.
It gave Aang a tool, but he still needed to use and gain control over it. His development has him quell the rampant state and bring it back to his ideals. Then he took a chance on the energybening in that if he faulted in his conviction, his spirit would be corrupted for trying to override another.

It was the culmination of Aang's arc and the payoff for his efforts and work throughout the series.

It's been a while since I saw it but I'm pretty sure the guru was trying to teach him complete control of the avatar state in which he could still control his actions. So him not giving up katara was choosing her over ultimate avatar powers. When he got hit in the back it prevented him from entering the avatar state at all and was fixed by a rock to the back.

When I first saw the season 2 finale I thought that Azula actually killed him in the avatar state ending the avatar cycle but he still lived because of the moon spirit water.

There was actually game on the Nick website where it showed that he did actually die for a bit and the Avatar Cycle was broken, but not completely. The game is Aang going through the Spirit World while he's in his coma reconnecting with his past lives to repair the Avatar Cycle.

They had to cut him some slack.
Imagine losing both his culture and the past lives, it would be too downer of a fate for this particular character.

So happens to show us that it was just a flesh wound and all the knowledge and strength was still there.

Azula had spent years crafting a plan to knock Aang out, so it would make since that she would be the one to put him out for a while.

Well I'm glad it's canon that she really didn't kill him right?

It's just some New Age bullshit. Nobody thinks about it too hard.

It's visual shorthand for emotional hurdles and inner-character struggle. Aang can't over his fear of disappointing katana by doing what he has to, to stop ozai. The rock, i like to think, represents the realization he has to do what's necessary to stop flamethrower hitler. I mean, he gets a magic cop out anyway because kids show.

>It's just some New Age bullshit
>new age
>has been a concept since 500 BC

I know right

Why is there just one racially Indian guy in the entire Avatar universe? Does that mean that there is a white guy or a latino hiding out somewhere too?

The fucking ending to Avatar annoys me so much because you could tell that Bryke just shit all over everything to make sure Aang got the girl in the end.

I'm okay with Aang not killing Ozai, since I think that spoke volumes to how the Air Nomadic culture prevailed, but Aang should have given up Katara. He gave up nothing willingly. Sure, Aang lost tremendously, but he never voluntarily sacrificed anything the way Zuko (or hell, fucking Sokka or Katara) did.

Zuko's the real hero.

>Azula had spent years crafting a plan to knock Aang out
People didn't even think the Avatar was still alive until a few months ago. It was supposed to a fool's errand Zuko was sent on. No way Azula had some years-long master keikaku for something with a less than 1% chance of happening.

It's also by plot convenience Azula hit him. Every time Aang went into the Avatar state up to that point, he either entered it instantly or there were fucking hurricanes and earthquakes and shit that prevent you from doing anything. The one time he goes into Avatar state with Azula, he just floats up in the air like a dumbass without anything else happening.

>inb4 you know who disagrees

I'm not the person who you are referring to but I think Azula is opportunistic and I think you are taking credit away from her prowess.

Nobody respond.

You know who has arrived.

Abandon thread.

Who?

But they got it totally wrong in the series.

What exactly did Zuko lose?

He got to rule his country and got rid of the people in his life that were awful to him.

a

I'm more mad about how it only took a couple of exposition to unlock a chakra, would have appreciated it more if the avatar chakras were established from the beginning instead of only bringing it up on one episode and wrapping it up in the same episode.

Unlocking the chakras were literally

>do you accept these terms and agreements
>yes

I mean, Aang was already super spiritual, so it shouldn't be super hard for him to do that shit.

If Korra had to actually unlock her Chakras before getting her Avatar State, that would have taken weeks.

I know

If he is in coma, he didn't die.

He wakes up briefly and his tattoos glow when the magic spirit water is used on him.

His coma and retrieval of the most recent element past lives which are hanging out in some limbo comes from the weeks that he is out when Katara is healing him when they regroup on that stolen Fire Nation ship.

Aang says he was gone but Katara brought him back.

>If Korra had to actually unlock her Chakras before getting her Avatar State, that would have taken weeks.
She let go of Mako much more easily than how Aang let go of Katara. So that cosmic chakra that gave him trouble isn't an issue.

Giving up Katara wasn't about not loving her, it was about putting his duties as the avatar before anything else.

This theme gets explored more at the end of season 3 when Aang has to decide whether or not to kill Ozai. For a while it looked like he was going to have to put his duty as the avatar before his own personal convictions, but ultimately he discovers a way to maintain both his duty and his convictions.

When Aang entered the Avatar state during his fight with Ozai, it was just the reflexive self defense manifestation that he'd been using throughout the series. He doesn't show true mastery of it until after the fight with Ozai, when he's solved the problem of duty vs. personal desire.