Why didn't Hermoine just use the time turner to go back and stop herself from getting the time turner?

Why didn't Hermoine just use the time turner to go back and stop herself from getting the time turner?

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/tags/Hermione Granger*s*Hermione Granger/works
twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/615498601809211393
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>people still don't get it prisoner of azkaban

better question is why did Harry not end up with Hermione?

In Harry Potter, time travel doesnt create new timelines. You cant change something thats already happened, because it already happened. Harry gets rescued from the dementors by himself, then he time travels and rescues himself. its already factored in.

Don't they save buckbeak from dying though?

Because JK Rowling wanted him to end up with her self insert

Pretty creepy if you ask me

Then explain how they save the life of Buckbeak. The movie clearly shows that in the first instance Buckbeak is executed, and in the second instance (as even Dumbledore says "more than one innocent life may be spared this night") they save Buckbeak.

You can't explain this shit away with "you cant change something thats already happened, because it already happened", as it is clearly demonstrated that you can in fact change things that have already happened. There is no justifiable internal logic to the time-travel in this franchise, and furthermore (more importantly) no justifiable logic as to why this device would not ever be used again in actually important events (see: the potential ending of the world as we know it by the most powerful dark wizard ever) instead of just helping one particularly nerdy schoolgirl get to several classes in a day.

The real answer is that it is a kid's book and JK Rowling didn't want to turn it into a series about time-travel.

>Being this much of a brainlet
Buckbeak never actually died. They don't show his death the first time, and then when Harry travels back they show that the executioner actually angrily cleaved through a giant pumpkin in anger that Buckbeak had escaped. How can someone be too dumb for Harry Potter?

>b-b-but they never show an animal literally being decapitated in a kid's movie, and d-dumbled-dore's dialogue about saving Buckbeak's life this time around is just a r-red h-herring thrown in for n-no reason

Lmfao. Whatever you need to think buddy.

Are you trolling?

Why are you even trying to find logic in a childrens series bassd off of one the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>Literally too retarded to understand a pretty simple time loop in a children's movie

No, buckbeak got saved by future hary and future hermione the first time around, we the viewer/reader just didn't see it

it's explicitly stated when they save Sirius from the dementors - Harry knew he could summon a corporeal patronus because he'd already seen himself do it in the past.

You can't change the past, just do something that already happened.

You know, until cursed child where Harry and Malfoy's kids use time travel to stop Voldemort's rape baby daughter from resurrecting him

They don't actually see Buckbeak die.

This is one of the reasons you should never use time travel in fiction. It's lazy and even in a world filled with literal magic it still doesn't make any fucking sense.

I was hoping for something like "Why didn't she just go back and stop herself from being in"

Based /lit/poster

>use time travel to stop Voldemort's rape baby daughter from resurrecting him

holy shit

not an argument

This meme is so fucking anger inducing for a number of reasons

How is Ginny her self insert?

And why would Harry be a prize? He turns into a boring cucked office worker.

why didnt they just time travel to stop voldemort?

forget time travel, theyre fucking magic

she got sisterzoned.

No such thing . Dudesll fuck anything

doesnt it only go back a few hours?

tel that to jk rowling. she wrote them.

but how did it happen the very first time, when there was no timetravelled Harry to save himself?

>very first time
your applying our limited experience of time to how it works as a whole

Not an answer.

why didn't hermione use the time turner to go back and buy the cart of sweets before harry could, forcing ron to eat the sandwiches his mother lovingly prepared for him before he smushed them into his pocket like an ungrateful little shit?

>Office worker
He's an Auror. That's basically fancy wizard police.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"

why does this part always get me?

ITT: people that don't understand fixed timeline time travel.

You see the same events happen twice but from different perspectives.
Everything that happens, always happens.

No dudes it's because in the books Hermoine didn't become hot till like book 6, and Ginny was as hot as her instead of like the movie where Emma was above whoever played Ginny.

He doesn't want to marry a niggress

Why didn't Harry time travel to save his parents? Didn't he love them or something?

yeah but who saved buckbeak the first time around

they did.

he didn't because he didn't

I dont think there's any more obvious proof that JK is a hack writer than time turners.

She was an useless background character who gets forced as a central mary sue-ish character in the last couple of books.

Incoming Slytherin Hermione

Well apparently in the new book they can actually change timeline by using a time turner.

I never read Cursed Child; what's it about? His kids? I wouldn't mind a spin-off of Harry being Wizard Police. If I was JK Rowling, I'd do it, but make Harry go corrupt, using his fame at defeating Voldermort to extort people. But that's too adult even for the nu-male 20 year olds and I say that as a 27 year old.

Why didn't hermione use the time turner to have sex with herself every night? If I were a magical emma watson my lifetime goal would be having sex with a clone of myself.

>they did.
how? why is the story being told within the 2nd universe (where they changed time by going back in time and spawning in the empty hospital ward)? there had to be a universe prime where buckbeak had to die because nobody saved him

time travel being "predestined" and the universe somehow already being "after-the-time-travel-fact" is nonsensical

this picture hurts my brain because i cant decide which one i want the most

pls be a fanfic of this somewhere...

>tfw all are better than the real one

Worst timeline indeed.

Slytherin looks like she's into femdom, I don't want that

I'm trying to find it for you, but the websites I know about (due to faggot girls in highschool and slightly beyond telling me about) don't have a search option, just genres, also literotica has some dodgy advertising link names, so I clicked off that. Anyway, what's the name of the actual time travel object?

Buckbeak never died, NEVER. How can you not get it? The only feedback we readers got from the "first" timeline was an axe swing and hagrid yelling. In the "second" timeline we get the explaination, buckbeak was saved, the executioner was angry and hagrid was happy, because the second timeline saving had already happened in the first timeline.

So you can't change the past, but at some point somebody did? Otherwise Harry never would have saved himself. Even if the time turner is access to another reality, there is still an instance of the past being changed.
Honestly though, the movies/books are about magic. You can literally explain anything by 'it's just magic'.

It's not just you. For me, I think it's the totally unnecessary quotation marks.

You're such a faggot. NOBODY EVER SAW BUCKBEAK DYING THE FIRST TIME. THEY HEARD THE AXE HIT THE WOOD, HAGRID YELLING. THE SECOND TIME WE HEAR THE SAME SHIT, EXCEPT BUCKBEAK FLIES AWAY. BOTH HAPPENED. THEIR ACTIONS DID NOT CHANGE THE RESULT.

Holy fucking shit, this is a kids book and even as a fucking kid you can tell that the reason Dumbledore goes 'more than one life can be saved' isn't referring to Buckbeak, or if he is (depending on your view) is that he said it to encourage them to do it and thus save the world.

Holy fucking shit how dense is Sup Forums that they can't understand a kids fucking book? Did you get confused with the Hunger Games draw process or something?

>user you must have a very strong happy memory to use the patronus charm
>credits roll

I genuinely don't get it. Can you explain Harry and the dementors? They travel back in time and change nothing, but think they do?

Sorry, I looked for one and can't find it. I used to write fapfics for /tg/ back in the day. I'd do it if I could remember anything of worth about the books.

Harry Potter is a mine of autism. One has to exist SOMEWHERE. It's just a matter of finding it.

I don't wanna go down the shaft, I'll turn into something horrible when I come out. And no, that's not a pun.

Its just one universe, one timeline with a loop back. the blue starts where they use the time turner

>Anyway, what's the name of the actual time travel object?

time-turner? is that not the actual name?

Well I'll just have to do it myself when I have the time. And the drive.

Start from this: there's only one timeline. In this ONE timeline there are two Harrys. The first one is about to get raped by dementors, the second one saves him. The first Harry then uses the timeturner and vanishes, because that's what already happened with the second one. Result: one timeline, one Harry left, he was saved by himself.

I picked up the courage and did some term changing.

archiveofourown.org/tags/Hermione Granger*s*Hermione Granger/works

Done.

Why isn't he a superstar detective auror though? I never read the new book, but I get the impression he turned into mediocre middle management.

Harry's youngest child goes to hogwarts but is a shitty angsty teen and gets in a fight with harry because he doesn't like having to try and live up to harry's rep and also harry is a complete dick to everyone including prof mcgonagal for some reason (also I think the kid gets sorted into slytherin or something).
At some point he, Malfoy's son, and some random girl come into the possession of a M O R E P O W E R F U L time turner that can actually change history. For whatever contrived reason, they're convinced they need to prevent cedric diggory from dying so they go back in the past and do that a couple times and screw up the future massively each time.
At some point they realize that the random girl who joined them is actually V O L D E M O R T ' S S E C R E T D A U G H T E R who steals the time turner and goes back in time to kill harry when he was a baby. More nonsense time travel logic happens but they stop her and everything goes back to normal.

People talking about "one timeline" are retarded. There are multiple timelines, they just follow the same path. Take the dementor example above: the first harry gets saved by the second harry, but then he has to use the time turner to save a third harry in another timeline, who then will save a fifth harry and so on. Even the original second harry was there to save the first one thanks to another harry previously saving him.
In HP you have multiple timelines following the exact same events, and when you use the time turner every "yourself" in every timeline uses it as well, and you all swift in another timeline.

tldr: from the 4th book onwards, harry and hermione are in a parallel universe while the poor ron was left behind. I wonder if he ever realized he married a hermione from another universe.

I do get it as far as what the author wanted, but what I am questioning is the faulty logic of this interpretation of time travel, because it is full of holes.

At the lake, how was Harry saved by Harry 2? There must have been some need for the creation of Harry 2, but the only way for him to be created is for Harry to survive, but he only survived because of Harry 2. The original timeline already includes the existence of the alternate timeline, therefore having no need to timetravel in the first place, aside from faulty reasons like "they didn't know that the alternate timeline already existed" or "they are predestined to timetravel, therefore the existence of the alternate timeline is constant and mandatory"

It's a time paradox. That would mean that the moment a timeturner was created, it instantly created all of the alternate timelines, which can't even be called 'alternate' anymore since they're fused with the main timeline. That would mean the creation of the timeturner itself was predestined, we have no free will, and everything is predestined.

Usually the argument of 'predestination' vs 'free will' is purely semantics, since there's no way to distinguish between the two in real-life, but in here it's a clear stance.

You're the hero we deserve

That sounds awful.

it was
Even the diehard fans hated it

I do see two mentions of the time turner

well done, user. you've done a man's job.

also anyone got opinions on whether archive of our own or fanfiction is better?

was voldemort's daughter at least "cute" evil? I like evil waifs.

Why didn't Hermione use the time turner to go back and stop the holocaust?

Time Travel is the hackiest of hacky sequels. Fuck me, I enjoyed Harry Potter as a kid cause I liked the idea of some of the shit (and honestly I thought the overarching Voldermort plot was boring and just wanted more magical hijinks as school) but this is just shitting on it. She should have done an adult Harry Potter stuff, since, you know, the original readers were mostly kids who have grown up now.

>Harry is a Auror or whatever
>doing his shit
>world-famous
>some crazy sick shit starts to happen involving Wizards and rituals and shit
>all culminates to the fact that Voldermort had a daughter who is murdering and stealing objects to resurrect him

At that point, you can either have Harry stop her or have somebody else stop her, you can even have Harry's kid in it and have the kid do the I KNOW IT'S VOLDERMORTS DAUGHTER BECAUSE I TOO HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE PRESSURE OF A FAMOUS DAD REEEE FUCK YOU.

The new book isn't canon

Why didn't they travel back in time to stop the wizards from shitting their robes?

this is the actress who portrayed her

I'm glad I read a synopsis of this shit here last year so I avoided that piece of shit like the plague.
That greedy cunt should have just made some expanded universe shit. HP lore is actually decent, and I like that fantastic beasts actually expands it.

Looks to old to be in school.
Not bad though

I always wanted a series just doing comfy everyday shit at hogwarts. Even in the books there's a lot of condensed time, right? Lots of potential.
It could be a show or a book, I don't care.

Says who? Some randy on Sup Forums or the author of the book?
twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/615498601809211393

Selfcest is an underused fetish.

The bits in Hogwarts are indeed maximum comfiness, but we have 6 books that take place there 90% of the time already (the seventh is odd).
When you think about it we've ever barely seen anything that isn't the school.

How did Harry even fall in love with Ginny? They hardly interacted in the books.

it only makes sense if you accept that time isnt necessarily linear, its just the way we navigate it. every moment that happened or will happen exists the time turner just lets you navigate them it in a different magical way

Harry fucked up with the chink so he went for the easiest next target.

What would you do if you were a wizard and just got to Hogwarts?

>Accio Hermoines shit directly into my mouth

Jesus Christ. Did you actually see it? That sounds way too complex for a play

Why not?

Then stand at one point for a few hours, travel back in time to that point and take the preexisting timetraveler to travel back in time once more, creating a loop of traveling backwards and if you do this for a while you can go back any amount of time. i think that would work yeah.. or wait... in the realtime timeline where he plans to travel back in time, instantly when he travels back to himself he'll void the opportunity to continue traveling backwards, and then he'll end up where he started... Wait... no... stays still from 15.00-17.00. then he plans to go back from 17.00 to himself at 15.15. So at 15.15 either nothing would happen, and he wouldn't have traveled through time. Or he'd travel back in time, and could see himself and say, take away clone himself. If they do this continiously and then just leave, wouldn't it be two of himself then...? shit man this makes no sense

What in the fuck

They adapted Les Miserable for the stage, I'm quite sure that a screenplay by fucking Rowling is manageable.

wrong. the timetravel conventions used in harry potter are of timetravel being linear. so linear, in fact, that it cannot even be changed, because everything is predestined.