Saw this in theaters in Mexico today

Saw this in theaters in Mexico today.

It's literally the SAME EXACT plot as The Book of Life, like unashamedly so.

What the fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

edition.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/disney-trademark-day-dead/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cbqv1kbsNUY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

While I was waiting for blade runner to start, I saw the "behind the scenes" clip for this movie. The premise is fucking stupid.
>Coco's family hates music
>They go around town telling everyone to shut the fuck up
>Coco wants to be a musician just like his role model
>Coco steals said role model's guitar
>yadda yadda yadda. you know the rest
Despite this, I like how they use mostly authentic music and musicians. I mean they use Mexicans to play Mexican music. I still can't get past the skeleton art style. It's off-putting
>Skull with PERFECT, UNROTTEN, EYES.

mexicans are stupid and i want you all physically removed from my country

Why do you think they copied Book of Life so much? I noticed this just from watching the trailers and found the very notion that they just straight up are doing BoL with Disney branding as absurd. BoL isn't even that good. It has a few moments for genuine care, but not very many.

If it's anything to do with the dead and religion, you know damn well the director/writer will insert the afterlife notion.

>It's literally the SAME EXACT plot as The Book of Life, like unashamedly so.
Book of life is more focused on the love story first ratter than the day of the dead topic. Coco on the other had is all about the meaning of day of the dead and the values its suppose to promote. Literally the only thiong both have in common is the Day if the Dead motfit

This is going to be a flop along the lines of The Good Dinosaur, isn't it? When's Incredibles 2? Now THAT'LL be Pixar kino.

pixar is run by calart hacks now

what did you expect?

>Coco's family hates music
but why?

Was it as Americanized as Book of Life? Christ that was a dumpster fire.

>Everyone either speaks like an American or like Cheech and Chong
>American Pop songs played on string guitars for music

>hi im the main character
>my family has a long tradition of not-music but i love music
>my family wants to force me to not-music
>i run away and end up in a mexican allegory for afterlife
>using music i save the day and come back to mexico to be a great musician

literally both movies

No, but as a mexican I felt the other end of the spectrum.
Zionist filmmakers stereotyping my country as dirt-poor villages who do nothing but follow old-ass superstitious customs.

But yeah the music was ok and there wasn't any weird americanized shit shoe-horned in.

They actually got the music right, they have real Mariachis singing the songs, not american pop music. Also the english dub is fucking cringeworthy because of the forced mexican accent, only Gael Garcia got it right because well he is mexican, the mexican dub was great

Reminder

edition.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/disney-trademark-day-dead/index.html

it will do good on international market but Americans are now too thin skied they will shout racist because of how stereotyped every character is, which ironically is something Mexicans actually love

This. I loved watching Nacho Libre as a kid.

You cant show skellitons in china. It will flop...

Problem is that it's not really racist, but it's so invested in depiciting mexican people and their customs that it ends up doing a whole turn and landing back on stereotyping.

Like those tumblr drawings where the artists made the korean girl from Overwatch yellow, slanted-eyed and buck-toothed cause that's the "right and inclusive" korean look.

Everyone is getting the kike treatment.

Frozen is the only reason I will consider paying to watch this

Husband left his family to become a musician, he tries to go back but is killed by his best friend who stole his songs, the wife believes he left them so she forbade music for generations, turns out the plot is actually about Hector trying to get his picture on the altar to see his daughter again, nothing is resolved by the power of music as it was in BoL as some people claim

>stereotyping my country as dirt-poor villages who do nothing but follow old-ass superstitious customs.

If you ever get out of your residental zone, you will see that a lot of México is actually like that.

Just because you live in the city doesn't mean that pueblitos don't exist.

What
Miguel literally saves Hector's memory by singing and playing a song, that's not enough power of music for you?

>it ends up doing a whole turn and landing back on stereotyping.
But there is nothing wrong on stereotyping, at least the mexican audience doesn't care, they find it funny because they know there are small towns with people that act/look like that

Yes, and when was the last time we saw any of these residential zones in a non-mexican movie?

I'm not saying they don't exist but when two out of two animated films based in Mexico are in pueblitos and based around the Day of the Dead I am really starting to feel the fallacy of Hollywood's "representation". I don't have an accent like Diego Luna's and definitely don't expect him to be a Mexican in space.

Why did they become so shit bros?

Nah, because everything is build up to that moment, its the song Hector wrote for his daughter, it wasn't the song, but the meaning behind it

So we get mad when Trump says we're lazy and drug smugglers but we don't get mad when Sheckleberg says we're superstitious and still live in mud huts?

I hear it was The Simpsons art-style that was picked up by Cal arts. Then, many students created similar art-styles, but with the same core principles. Not sure if it's true though. Avoid any cartoon with circular eyes and noodle arms, if you hate it enough.

>we get mad when Trump says we're lazy and drug smugglers
He is not wrong about the drug smuggling part, never heard him calling mexicans lazy, is mostly the fake media twisting his words to "Trump is racist" meme, and Vicente Fox shitposting as usual, AND "la raza" fags trying to cause revolts.
>superstitious and still live in mud huts
There are shittons of small towns like that, and we love to make fun of them, nothing wrong with that

Will western animation ever make a comeback? Is it too late? Am I just not hip enough?
Will 2D animation ever be great again?

>the last time we saw any of these residential zones in a non-mexican movie?

literally Spectre you fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=cbqv1kbsNUY

The french still make some good stuff some times, and there’s that irish studio that made Book of Kells and Song of the Sea too i guess?

>day of the dead parade
0/10 literally just further proved my other point
also
didnt the mexican government like literally pay them for that

This.

>Once Upon a Time in Mexico

That's true. Forgot about the Frenchies, Maybe there is hope.
Crisis averted.

>didn't the mexican government like literally pay them for that
My mother told me that the government shut down access to certain city routes to let the studio shoot their scenes. So much traffic happened as a result.

>sepia tone
>literally a village
>day of the dead celebrations in the third act

lmao are you guys even trying

>didnt the mexican government like literally pay them for that
Yes and?
You know that that shit is pretty common when big studios want to film in certain locations, right?

>hurr the jew should represent me in the way I want to because me nor my country will bother making our own movies

Yes, but I do believe this was done to better Mexico's image as a "hey our country isn't all pueblitos and cartel-run villas" in Hollywood.
I guess I am making a moot point since you did show me the mexican capital in a movie though, I give.
Could've been Sicario too but calling Juarez a city is a stretch.

We used to make movies, I don't know what happened to that.

Toshiro Mifune starred in one, gringo, where's your Toshiro Mifune movie?

I think the last time I saw (or should I say glanced) a mexican movie, it looked like a bollywood film because of some some ridiculous scenes. I guess mexico's hollywood is primarly focused on novelas and graphic news.

Our films are a disgrace now. I don't suggest you watch anything made here after the early 00's revival. There's a reason all our good directors jumped ship to the U.S. asap.

>as a kid
How old are you, 16?