Has there ever been a counter argument for The Incredibles' "No Capes" idea?

Has there ever been a counter argument for The Incredibles' "No Capes" idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_loop_fastener
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Teen Titans when Blackfire first arrives Robin tells Blackfire that the cape is 10 times stronger than titanium, so it's a shield to use against explosives and weapons.

Somebody designing a cape that pops off when it gets pulled on.

They look cool. It's fiction. Watchmen did it first.

Whatever.

Detachable cape, designed to break off automatically if need be.

Batman regularly uses his cape as part of his misdirection and fighting style. There must be a hundred panels where a bad guy shoots the cape instead of him.

Literally the only functional cape I can think of.

There was that time he threw rocks into his cape and used it as a club to bash Bane.

Isn't Superman's cape as bullet-proof as the rest of him and his costume?

Pocket space

Does the top of the cape magically detach from Mario's neck and the bottom of the cape tie itself to Mario's legs?

another item slot to hold enchantments

Often. Often not, hence why he's completely undamaged save for a tattered cape (which admittedly looks fucking baller)

this guy

/thread

It's the same as asking has there ever been an argument for why Mr. Incredible and his family wear bright fucking red spandex when he's sent to a fucking military installation to sneak around.

It's a visual heavy medium.

That raises a lot of questions.

Where else would you store your pretzels?

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what it does.

Spawn's cape and costume can do amazing things.

Batman's cape is used to glide around Gotham rooftops.

In industries where you have to wear loose shit around your neck and you work with heavy machinery, it's usually designed in a way that it breaks away easily when tugged on sharply by an outside force.
Realistically, this is how super capes should be designed.

>Now where did I leave that fuck to give?

Worm only (sometimes) uses capes for their propaganda value

It's not real and if the author doesn't include any cape related accidents then there's nothing wrong with having a cape.

Batman's the most creative guy with his cape.

He uses it to scare, fight and escape enemies.
He uses to defend himself from fire, acid or whatever.
He uses to glide.
He probably masturbate with it too.

It also makes him appear bigger and makes crooks miss shots they take at him, and makes him scarier that way.

It helps portray movement/direction in a static medium.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_loop_fastener

>muh epic didney movie xDDD

Man I really wish people would fuck off with this no capes meme. Capes have been designed to be detachable forever. Any hero who'd actually have to worry about being caught by their cape would obviously have one designed to come off in that event. Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

These.

For God's sake, Edna, capes are fine so long as you don't follow a fucking noose as your template.

Waste of space/extra weight, it flops over your face after a fall, leaving you blinded, it leaves you with a small blindspot, baddies can spot you better, fumble with your equipment with all that fabric in the way.

>have fun dying on your first night out.

t. person who hasn't read watchmen

>Capes have been designed to be detachable forever. Any hero who'd actually have to worry about being caught by their cape would obviously have one designed to come off in that event.
not superman, every time he enters a fight with someone equal his strength they always go for his cape and it works. Good for him it's the most durable piece of his costume, surviving things he normally can't.

Batman's cape is fucking bullet-proof you little shit.

>Waste of space
As illustrated by Batman, a cape has a variety of uses.
>extra weight
If you can't carry the weight of a fucking cape you aren't nearly fit enough to be superheroing. You're probably not fit enough to walk up a large flight of stairs.
>it flops over your face after a fall
Why are you fumbling over yourself as a superhero?
>baddies can spot you better
It obstructs your outline and makes you harder to see, actually.
>fumble with your equipment with all that fabric in the way.
Why would it be in the way of your equipment? Are you keeping your grapple gun on the back of your neck?
>have fun dying on your first night out.
Have fun dying of heart failure, apparently.

You have obviously never worn a good cape.
Granted, capes in comics tend to be stupidly long, but chalk that up to creative liberties I suppose.

Then he should have used that material in a more productive way then wearing a fucking cape.

Also i guarantee you that batman's cape is not detachable 99/100 times.

>not superman
Right, he's not someone who needs to worry about being caught by his cape because no one can do significant damage to him with it. Thanks for illustrating the point.

To be fair to Supes, there is practically no way his cape could fuck him over, given how fucking durable and strong the guy is.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

>a cape has a variety of uses.

You mean to say that the bullshit materials his cape is construed from has a variety of uses after taking a shit on logic.

>Why are you fumbling over yourself as a superhero?

Because you just got punched by a baddie and have fallen down.

It obstructs your outline and makes you harder to see, actually.

Tell that to the fuckwits wearing spandex in bright variants.

>Why would it be in the way of your equipment? Are you keeping your grapple gun on the back of your neck?

go wear a long flowing cape and do general construction. count the number of times it inconveniences you on the job. Surprise, its a lot.

That sounds amazing right about now. But everything's closed. I gotta stop browsing Sup Forums so late.

>mustard on a pretzel
That's a thing, is it

hell, in 'Whats So Funny..." the bad guy thought he'd obliterated Superman to dust but his cape was still left, and rather than think something was up he just goes 'those superheroes, amirite?

That's the same point behind "how can Superman catch someone falling in the air without the force of impact crushing them?"

Superman is infinitely tougher than the binding of his cape to his suit.

That, and it can make his profile seem bigger, or he can pop out the glider from it.

Capes create an image. The only reason to wear a costume is to have a striking image.

That's a cloak! Completely different. And it levitates!

yup

Batman uses the cape to slow his falls, and it's treated to be flame resistant so he can use it to protect civilians he's saving from fire.
Storm of the X-Men uses her cape to catch the wind she controls so she can more easily fly.
Thor's cape was in the original Viking tradition of always having a warm blanket on your back to keep from freezing to death in the nasty Northern European climate.
I'm pretty sure there's one or two heroes with bulletproof capes.
Superman's cape was originally representative of the blanket his parents wrapped him in before he came to Earth, so before they reworked the canon it was the only known cultural artifacts of his home-planet.

In some parts of the country. Around here it's all about cheese sauce.

Emma Frost. However, Emma's ever changing wardrobe also proves Edna right.

Emma proving Edna Mode wrong. The cape can be used to augment a dramatic moment. That flair for the dramatic is the bread and butter of capeshit comics. Damn do I eat it up, so.

>ITT: autismal Disney babies don't understand visual design

They're not even fiction

People donned capes into battle all the way into the 1500's, they were specially popular with cavalry because making it flap in the wind was impressive

It's not a cape but it's a "pointless flowing dangley thng that hangs behind someone" thing.

A character in Worm wears a blonde wig in a long ponytail, and has like razors and shit hidden in the ponytail. The whole wig is held on loosely so it'll break away if someone grabs it.

Or every anime character with a scarf ever

Scarves > capes

That's one of the reasons I really enjoy Batgirl's redesign, it's fastened on with pop-snap button clasp things. Though the cape is kind of small for the practical purposes of slowing falls, shielding victims, etc.

The argument should be "it's fiction". Capes on a superhero is an acceptable little break from reality that only a cynical fuck would hate.

>Has there ever been a counter argument for The Incredibles' "No Capes" idea?

In the Batman Beyond comic, Dick Grayson revealed that Batman used his cape to make himself seem like a larger target, so people aimed at him and couldn't see where "he" was. Nightwing, on the other hand, didn't have a cape, so when he jumped at armed goons, they could see him and shoot with slightly higher accuracy.

Oh, yeah, I am totally embracing my inner autism here, no lie. Visual design intrigues me to no ends. Especially a super hero comic book character such as Emma Frost. Her character's visual design and aesthetics have no restrictions.

Came here to post this.

Rule of cool trumps logic.
I respect her conviction but I can't say no to a badass cape.

If it's anime, it's almost certainly a Kamen Rider reference.

They wore capes in the military in case it rained, got cold, or to keep dust off, as did civilians. The only things capes did in terms of looks was to add another surface for army colors over the armor. Capes are literally just rain coats and jackets w/o sleeves, hell there are modern capes that have holes to stick hands through the center. Its only in fiction where we have this whole idea of capes not wrapping around a person but just hanging loosely at the back.

In the first episode of Supergirl, we learn that the cape helps steer while flying.

When did him gliding with his cape become a thing?

I noticed he doesn't really do it in BTAS. If he's falling, he needs his grapple gun to save himself.

well it depends.

are you going for a realistic or a stylistized universe?

jesus user it's just a joke, no need to start a war over it.

Because the argument is stupid. Mr. Incredible survives battles in a volcano against a giant robot. There is no way a cape would hinder him.

Superman, Martian Manhunter, Etrigan, Thor, Captain Marvel, none would be slowed down by having a cape. Anyone/thing that could snag their capes could attack them other ways regardless.

The fuckng cape thing is stupid and normies latch onto it. batman/family and most non super who wear capes are smart enough to, i dunno, just fucking detach it. Capes are rarely ever detrimental, its retarded to think they might be

>That part in Batman V Superman where one of the criminals he's fighting pulls on his cape and drags him down

Physically cringed in the theater

"I'm le Zack Snyder creating le ebin realistic universe but I'm still gonna give Batman a cape even though I make it a liability in a fight"

What a fag

Rich knights wore a lot of unnecessary shit, but in a legit melee a cape would be a nice thing to grab and tug while you smashed someone with a mace.

People used to fight duals with capes on all the time, so this whole notion where it's more of a liability is silly.

If the guy is grabbing your cape, he's not paying attention to the fucking sword that's about stab him.

Did you watch the movie? Among the people to die from having a cape were a teenage girl and a guy who liked to adopt orphans.

But that's 1v1, a duel

Not a swath of nondescript "men" of Lex Luthor's

Plus Batman ain't got a thword

What's the point of a bullet proof cape if your entire body is already bullet proof? Intimidation?

>Have bullet proof cape
>Place it on person that isn't bullet proof

Forget the melee, you wouldn't wear a pointless thing trailing behind you while riding into battle. Its because you could get yanked off of the horse. Stepp nomads did this alot with lassos, Europeans did it with special war hammers with spiked heads, if you were wearing a fluttering cape into battle you just did half the work for them. The kind of capes that Cav and Kinghts would wear were worn in a way that they didn't fly behind them too much. The super hero style that just sits behind a person fluttering in the breeze and never wraps around got you a one way express trip to the ground.

So it's basically a fancy towel?

yeah. and you know you can rely on a guy who knows where his towel is.

>If the guy is grabbing your cape, he's not paying attention to the fucking sword that's about stab him.
This. Hockey fighting is dumb.

>Not a swath of nondescript "men" of Lex Luthor's
At no point in any movie, comic book or video game has a fight between Batman and multiple goons has ever been depicted realistically.

In real life if 5 dudes jumped you, it wouldn't matter if you were wearing a cape or not.

Honestly, I always thought that was sketchy.

The heroes on those flashbacks, like, weren't they super strong!?

Welp, it's Disney

The company who pushes Tacticool excrement.

That is incredibly stupid. Do you know how heavy those bullet proof plates are? In addition, those plates can only take a maximum of two gunshots. After that, they becomes dead weights and are no longer bullet proof. The science behind bullet proof vests is the plate breaks in order to absorb the physical impact of a bullet. Once broken, the bullet proof plate is unusable and will not stop any more incoming bullets.

Those Pixar fuckers didn't put capes in so they wouldn't have to animate them, didn't they?

It's comic books senpai

Nobody bitches about Batman's grappling hook even though it's super unrealistic

Most Incredibles heroes in general aren't very durable despite their powers.

Meta Man was essentially Superman but without the durability. So while he had super strength, but still got choked to death. Don't ask me how you can have super strength without having corresponding durability though.

>not knowing what soft armor is
>not getting how plates work
baka kys

>Pixar iterally wouldn't animate a character for the plane scene forcing a script rewrite
>Also didn't show Frozone's wife

I miss 2D animation when literally this wouldn't even be a problem

Ugh, I like Batman, but don't get me started on that can of worms.

People who hate capes = Marvelbabs
People who enjoy heroism and understand characters are something are more than just 'dude with superpowers' = DC Fans

But how convenient was that were were just let to assume they weren't metahumans, as in, super strong, as in, SUPER RESISTANT!?

Doing baller shit like this

The first time I saw it was Batman Returns, which came out the same year as BTAS. But I didn't see it again until Batman Begins, where his cape stiffened with an electric current. I've never seen it in the comics....

EXACTLY!

I bet it was a pragmatic work-around.

>Don't ask me how you can have super strength without having corresponding durability though.
Muscle is easy to damage yo. Is pretty weak compared to skin.

I think he's more talking about how you'd smash your hands if you hit anything too hard, or your bones would break, or your muscles tear if you tried to lift anything that was too heavy.

Why not make whole suit out of it?