Why was this film met with so much criticism when it came out...

Why was this film met with so much criticism when it came out? Why didn't it stay in the public consciousness like other movies from that era such as Lilo and Stitch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ahVKiBDMBHw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do you care?

Lets just get this post out of the way

someday Treasure Planet will be real

It's been a while since I sat down and watched it, but it felt kind of muddled. Too many conflicting elements at odds with each other. It was easier to connect with Lilo and Stitch. Lilo and Stitch was also more unique, Treasure Island has been done to death, protagonists like Jim have been done to death, annoying comic relief characters like BEN have been done to death, etc.

>You will never be a space pirate.

Too different from the norm Disney flicks. People hate almost any Disney movie that doesn't feature musical numbers or princess things.

Because it wasn't that good of a movie and was forgettable.

/thread

Not a good space movie
Not a good Treasure Island adaptation

It just kind of halfasses both.

The same question gets asked of Atlantis whenever we have threads about it.
General consensus is it wasn't well appreciated for the time period in which it came out.

>Lilo & Stitch
>Tarzan
>Emperor's New Groove
>Pirates of the Caribbean

I think you're painting with too thick a brush, and I'm not even disagreeing with you

It simply wasn't that good.

Based on my own experiences I feel like this played a role.

I remember seeing a preview for it in theaters around whatever time it came out (2002 I guess?) and it seemed like the audience had a kind of "isn't that stupid" reaction to the title. My father made some crack about how it must obviously be a really close adaptation or some shit.

Now I think all Disney movies deviate from their source material in really huge, blatant ways, sometimes even sort of stupid just in terms of comparing the two, but usually not to the extent that the title itself is changed. I sure don't remember my dad making fun of other Disney movies I watched despite them also being really loose adaptations, but just from a two-minute trailer it seemed multiple people thought it already sounded dumb as hell.

And I'm not saying it is legitimately shit; just that compared to other Disney movies the title alone might throw people off and that's not really a good thing.

>tfw when you were in that thread but too late to really witness it

In general terms it was good, but it seemed to be like different ideas mixed into one film.

>tfw Disney's weird early 2000s experimental stage is over and we don't get stuff like this and Atlantis anymore
Damn, crossing over TP and Atlanis would be pretty cool

This and titan A.E were prbly my most watched movies when i was younger.

The fuck is this and where I can I buy one?

The movie itself was alright, and I enjoyed it. The comedy fell flat. All of the characters were one-note trope caricatures. The lead protagonist suffered from edgelord syndrome, which appealed to no one. That fucking robot introduced in the last act was atrocious. Why they created a contrived, unfunny talking plot device is beyond understandable. Disney really wanted to pay more for that shit actor and spend money animating a last minute shitty plot device. Whatever.

You can't /thread your own posts.

Anyone remember the bizarrely well-edited crack ship videos?

I don't know how to respond to the bizarrely well-edited crack ship videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=ahVKiBDMBHw

The humor was hit-and-miss, but I really enjoyed the world and atmosphere that everything in Treasure Planet had.

The massive holographic maps, the space whales, the colonial steampunk ships? I'm a sucker for all of that.

Damn, between ILLUMINATED and PlanetHands, Treasure Planet threads are forever ruined and forever perfect

>Just throwing ideas out there for your insanity

>implying

Star citizen soon™

I could see where people had issues with it, but the movie has a special place in my nostalgia.

>Why didn't it stay in the public consciousness like other movies from that era such as Lilo and Stitch?

People don't remember it because not that many of them were interested in seeing it in the first place; it's one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

I would add that it never became a source of ongoing ridicule either and it's also animated which limits the sort of audience who'd be up for rediscovering it. That helps keep it from gaining that sort of cult classic status that a lot of live action bombs acquire over time.

Fun world that wasn't explored too much.
Meh movie otherwise.

damn now i want a robot arm made of bullshit office supplies

Because the directors were at odds with each other during the whole production and the movie suffered because of it.

I know because I worked on the movie. Ask me anything about it.

Can't get past characters standing out in space, with "wind" through their hair. Or trying to pass off a supernova as a storm.

>I know because I worked on the movie. Ask me anything about it.

Did the suits really make them replace all the swords in the movie with laser swords, blowing up the budget? Even though they released "Return to Neverland", with children using real swords, just a few months before?

What was the cause of their disputes and why?

How were they able to mend their relationship for later films?

How did their visions of what the film should be differ?

Whose vision came out on top?

Why the disturbingly attractive catgirl? Were you trying to turn kids into furries?

>Why was this film met with so much criticism when it came out?
Because it sucks, OP. Because it sucks.

Questions:
1. Who the FUCK thought Hiring Martin Short was any kind of an option?
2. What was the point of that annoying Robot plot device? (which feeds back into question 1)
3. How was it animating this? (Back then CGI and hand drawn animation were a huge bitch to sync properly and make it look good.)
4. What's the deal with half the cast of pirates being fat? Like, were the animators a bunch of xenophilliac chubby chasers?

But Silver had a sword?

>Plot device robot

Ben Gunn equivalent.

>How was it animating this

Apparently took 7-10 years.

>What's the deal with the fat pirates
Easier to make visual enemies of the unfit, big guys and sloppy clothing.

the fucking robot

I think Jim was written well, and the father-son dynamic he had with Long John Silver made the story more unique than if it was a straight up retelling.

For me the main problem is the humor. BEN was annoying, that blob Morph wasn't bad necessarily but not funny, and the fart noise monster is just dumb. If they had tweaked the humor I'd easily call it one of the best Disney movies

Not enough smut of Amelia

Thank you.

This movie really stuck with me when I saw it in theatres. At the time it looked amazing, especially on such a big screen. But for some reason barely anyone saw it. It felt like no one realized that the movie existed so only a handful of people saw it in theatres. Anyway I'm positive almost anyone that did see it in theatres loved it; even if it was purely because of how nice the visuals were on the big screen.

Oh my god not this shit again.
But oh god I liked it.

tfw i heard it even though no sound

Wait, is that an edit?

I can't believe I watched it again.
The song sucks though.

Lack of good songs and the romance was not about Jim and a female protagonist but between the hot furry thing and the goofy furry thing.
I still like it a lot, though.

If you're an animator how do I master the art of making characters lively like sliver

As a kid I loved first half but second half was for some reason kind of ruined by that annoying robot.

I enjoyed it, but I liked Atlantis better. Just a way cooler concept and art style.

Yeah, interestingly enough it's sort of brother Atlantis managed to achieve that cult status. But Treasure Planet just kind of sits there

Eh, Atlantis felt more like flash over substance while TP actually focused on the drama elements.

Are you kidding? From what I get TP is way more popular then Atlantis.

Why are you such a pretending fag and then don't even bother to fake answer all these questions

Felt less like it was bad and more a forgettable 'meh'.

Actually I can't recall there being much anything good during that time.