Vehicle Voltron: The Other Defender of the Universe

Anyone else here seen this series? Because nearly every kid in my hometown knew about the Lion series, but they didn't know about the Vehicle Team. Whenever they brought out their Lion Voltron toys to battle, I brought my Vehicle Team.

I was big into Star Trek at the time since Next Generation was airing and quite honestly, Vehicle Voltron was a far more nuanced story than Lion's. I think that's the reason it wasn't as popular.

Unlike the simplistic black and white conflict in Lion, Vehicle was about an intergalactic war that sparked from mutual hostility and suspicion. And the Drule Empire actually had good people who realized that continued warfare with the Galaxy Alliance was folly and tried to arrange peace talks. Unfortunately, they were either sabotaged or circumstances ruined them.

A lot of people (including the Legendary Defender staff) have admitted to not liking Vehicle Force. I wonder if they actually sat down and seen the entire series? Because it seems that it's only based on initial reactions of the show. Robot Chicken even poked fun at how the Vehicle Force had 15 pieces to assemble. However, in the TV series, their combination time was way quicker than Lion Voltron's.

Dairugger is the better of the two shows, but it suffers from having 15 pilots. Most of them of only get one episode that features them in any meaningful way so they just end up standing in the background until it's time to form Dairugger. Golion has the smaller main cast, allowing everybody to get enough characterization to be more memorable.

This is true. Having 15 characters is a lot to handle, but even as a kid, I liked the fact that there were 3 separate squadrons: Air, Land, and Sea. The Sea team had an alien dude commanding it so I liked how Star Trek-esque it was.

Had no idea there were Sup Forumsmrades here that watched 80's mecha anime. Another guy mentioned Dancougar and I was shocked.

>I liked Vehicle Voltron better and hated Lion Voltron

Fite me.

There's nothing wrong with that line of thought so long as you aren't trolling or being a contrarian.

Vehicle was a very fun series. I especially liked how the Drules tried to prevent Voltron from being formed like attacking the leg, head, or arm assemblies.

Sup Forums and /m/ share a lot of members due to our mutual love of superheroes. And who doesn't love mecha?

I'm a huge fan of Yuusha like Da Garn and Gaogaigar.

I really enjoyed Dairugger. Japan did quite a bit of mecha and sc-fi anime involving aliens in the 80's like this, Golion, Southern Cross, Mospeada, and SDF Macross.

You basically summed up the typical American view on war:

There has to be a Good Guy and Bad Guy; no shades of grey. I respected the fact that Vehicle didn't quite talk down to kids because it actually presented what paranoia and ignorance could do.

I always liked the idea of the Galaxy Alliance and how the Vehicle Team was at the front lines of the war while the Lion Team was dealing with a side theater of operations.

>Had no idea there were Sup Forumsmrades here that watched 80's mecha anime.

Mecha anime are the superhero movies of the east and Europe.
Selling people who just have super powers is harder than selling people on machines that give people said superpowers.

I wonder how the US would've received the Space Sheriffs? I know they utilized footage from Metalder, Spielban, and Shaider for VR Troopers.

>These motherfuckers don't even know about Stealth Voltron
Did anyone actually watch the show this guy came from? It was a cg show from the 90s with a look similar to Beast Wars or Reboot, but I know nothing about anyone's opinion on it.

Oh I remember that. I hated that even more than Regular Lion Voltron cuz it ugly as hell.

I wish Gladiator Voltron got to be a thing

Remind me again why that needed to be a thing outside of "Let's find a way to make more toys!"

That wouldn't have worked out. Dairugger and Golion both had robots with similar-looking faces, but Albegas was markedly different.

That series was awful. Not even Tim Curry could redeem it.

I really doubt kids would have cared that much about face details when COOL ROBOTS are on screen slice shit up with a sword

Vehicle Voltron was the only Voltron we got to watch in Mexico. I remember it was very confusing because all the toys were based on Lion Voltron.

If only this gimmick worked in toy form.

Vehicle voltron sounds kinda cool, maybe ill see if i can find it and give it a watch

thanks Sup Forums

Why did Mexico didn't get Lion Voltron?

>Vehicle voltron sounds kinda cool, maybe ill see if i can find it and give it a watch
>thanks Sup Forums
This

agreed, imagine if Voltron had just continued on with another mecha series or two added to it every year

>That wouldn't have worked out. Dairugger and Golion both had robots with similar-looking faces, but Albegas was markedly different.
I don't think the people in charge cared about that, considering that Albegas as Gladiator Voltron did come over in toy form, and didn't get added to the cartoon only because Vehicle Voltron tanked

Me too.

All I cared about at the time was "CGI action show". I would watch so many live action shows for their 5min CGI transformation and battles.