So what's so bad about Suburbicon?

The film itself was pretty much typical Cohen brothers noir fare.

Matt Damon is the villain, who paid goons to murder his wife so he could get the insurance money and run off with his wife's twin sister and son. The son however fucks up the plot by identifying the killers, causing the killers to try and kill Damon and his family under the cover of a race riot going on in the background of the film when a black family moves into the neighborhood. Damon kills the insurance agent (who tries to shake down Damon and his sister-in-law when he realizes what they did) and then the sister-in-law, who leaves a Checkov Poison Sandwich in the background. Damon then murders the thugs he hires, then threatens his own son with being murdered by his dad when he confronts him over having his mom killed.

Film ends with Damon, after threatening to murder his own son, dropping dead when he eats Checkov's Poisoned Sandwich.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/11/13/opinion/sunday/2016-election-thank-you-notes.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The backlash is largely due to Damon and Clooney being caught covering up Weinstein's raping women. Also, the film is one of those "everyone in all white communities is pure evil" films villifying suburbia.

Isn't there just randomly some story about blacks thrust in to the middle of the film or something?

The trailer was REALLY bad. Clooney is REALLY fucking bad at shooting comedies - he almost completely ruined Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind with his goofy blocking, really wide angle lenses (something he took from the Coens and turned up to 11) and just really arch, artificial aesthetic. He's so fucking bad at directing, and it had his signature style all over the trailer.

I'm sure if anyone could fuck up a Coen's script, it would be him.

why would he want another one of these? lmao stupid nigger.

Not random as a plot device/white bashing device.

Damon uses the cover of a black family moving into his community to have his wife murdered at the start of the film, then uses the fact that everyone is rioting because the black family haven't been driven out of town, in the third act, to secretly kill everyone who can implicate him in the murder of his wife.

I just finished it an hour or two ago.

What I liked:
-1950s Suburbia setting/culture/aesthetic: Something I particularly enjoyed was how everybody who knew the family offered typical, skin-deep condolences after the wife's death.
-Relationship between white/black boy felt very wholesome, seemed to be the only part of the racial tension subplot that didn't have an artificial or rushed feel to it.
-The film had some intense bits that I enjoyed: The poisoning of the insurance agent and the full-on riot in front of the black family's house were some of my favorite bits in the movie.

What I did not like:
-Racism subplot was an absolute joke:
The two plotlines had no correlation whatsoever, the Lodge parents only mention the black family when the mother tells her son ti "Go play with the colored boy" and the father tells his son to "Stay away from the colored boy." Every scene involving the black family consisted of a bunch of angry neighbors yelling at them while they sit there with "We are stronger than this" expressions on their faces. Nothing was explored with the black family- their lives, their characters, they were basically just onscreen to be glared at unfavorably by white neighbors. And to top it all off- the attacks against the black family were based on real attacks on the Meyers family in Levittown, and it still felt like it was more like a rushed homework assignment.

Well, it didn't seem clear at the time. but they still could have done much more with it, it just seemed so rushed.

>they were basically just onscreen to be glared at unfavorably by white neighbors
that movie sounds woke

according to everyone that saw the original script, the Coen's had it take place in the late 1980s in the sort of suburbs they grew up in. Clooney put in the 1950s racism bullshit. the nigger family isn't even in the Coen's film.

if cooney wasn't a joke, he would have realized the 80s is in and have just made the script as is.

its not bad really

There are many people avoiding paying to watch the movie because hypocritical pious liberal pricks Clooney and Damon are involved. Others are avoiding it because word is out that it's white-middle-class bashing. Others have heard that it's just a shitty movie.
Besides, it'll be on Amazon Prime almost immediately if you really want to see it. The dead on arrival stuff always is.

Cohen brothers are not really left wing loonies, they lashed out when people asked their movies to have more "diversity"

Hail Caesar is actually a pro Christian movie, although not evident at first

That doesn't explain the D- Cinemascore. Even the audiences that saw it hated it.

>Clooney
Even that fucker helped? I swear I saw him condescending others just a week ago about how bad Hollywood was for covering up this shit.

Hail Caesar is an anti hollywood, not hollywood as the studios/actors but more what Hollywood represented.

He claimed he didn't know about it, then he backtracked and claimed he'd heard "rumors" but "took them with a grain of salt." Seems kind of a hard to believe, though, given his relationship with Brad Pitt.

This. They've all got their own stories but they're starting to conflict with each other.

>"everyone in all white communities is pure evil"
>cohen brothers
what did you expect, desu?

literally none of this happens in suburbia.

let me tell you about suburbia.

>wake up.
>you're 14. (not now but 20 years ago)
>you have no idea why you're here.
>you were just dropped into this shit world, and now you have to deal with this milquetoast existence.
>you steal your older brothers' n64 goldeneye cartridge he borrowed from his friend, initiating some kind of weird teen turf war
>you end up playing with your brother's friend's sister's best friend and ultimately end up getting to 2nd base.
>no one knows, they're still all pissed off about a missing n64 cartridge.
>brother's friend's sister ends up finding out because brother's friend's sister's best friend's mom is a fucking psycho
>you decide to just go hang out at the library because no one goes there.
>you suddenly see a shelf where they have comic books and video games you can check out.
>check out sid meiers civ 3 and star wars jedi vs sith issue 1.
>go hang out at your nerd friend dustin's house because he has no friends other than you.
>your older brother is balls deep in some teen turf war about n64 cartridges at this point.
>you start playing civ 3 as russia, reading about darth bane. dustin tells you about salad fingers.
>you wake up the next day. it's the weekend, and you have a family reunion because your boomer parents have over 24 siblings, and you have over 100 cousins.
>you go reluctantly, reading "voyage of the dawn treader" the entire way.
>find out your brother's friend's sister's friend is actually your second cousin.
>end up getting to second base again.
>no regrets.

The white guilt well has run dry. Sorry, Jews.

Ethan is pretty full on SJW. He threw a massive tantrum about Muh Fascism/Cheet Hitler/It Was Her Turn! when Hillary lost.

Sauce?

>Be Bradd Pitt

>Harvey sexually harassed two of my wives

>I knew he was an ebil monster

>I still kept making movies with him though, because...because...

It's highly sarcastic

nytimes.com/2016/11/13/opinion/sunday/2016-election-thank-you-notes.html

>5. Jimmy Fallon: How did you manage to shine a nonthreatening light on someone who alarms so many women, frightens so many undocumented families and slurs so many minorities? Can’t have been easy! Thanks! Maybe now you could have the Grand Wizard on your show: He leans his head to you, you slip his hood off and ruffle his hair. Could be a cute bit!

basically the trailers fucked with people, it didn't show the racism shit and people went to this for damon and clooney not the coen bros. So went the murder and shit started happening it threw people for a loop

Seems like they made up some lame excuse to put a bunch of niggers in this movie. The whole reason I was gonna go was because I thought it would be a nice period piece, so much for that. Fuck Jews.

this would be the best tv show.

>Cohen brothers
>Cohen

this was my childhood. well played.

my sides

this would be the best midwest tv shoe