When you're a European with a Pavlovian fear of nationalism so you try to make a science fiction author's vision of a...

>when you're a European with a Pavlovian fear of nationalism so you try to make a science fiction author's vision of a nationalist utopia look like shit by making your movie sarcastic, but general audiences end up liking it anyway and hipsters have to pretend to only like it ironically

The movie screenplay was written by an American you retarded fuck.

i like it unironically but not because i think the humans are shining moral beacons. its a very clever satire but the action is also tremendously brutal and satisfying which i think appeals to most people on a basic level sort of like facism

Also the script is literally nothing like the book except names, the story goes they had an original script worked out and just licensed the name after it was mostly written.
It's like you've never even read the book and are just shit posting.

It's not a clever satire though. In order for a satire to be effective, it has to show the flaws of the society it's satirizing. Starship Troopers is just really sarcastic but it never makes the society actually look like a shitty one to live in.

I didn't think it looked like shit.
Sustainable space travel is always a top tier target for human progress. Waging war in that theater is just a bonus.

Besides the young people being sent off to die in a pointless intergalactic megawar.

However user i do see your point. It seems that general audiences found that too removed from the utopic society to connect the two. maybe if V had shoved some scene with brutal repression in it or something they might have got it

>pointless
They're getting attacked, it's a defence war.
Damn it's more legitimate than all the wars USA dabbled in.

Book was dry as fuck and had half a battle in it.
If you want to watch Jarhead with a failipino in it while they cock tease you with super duper Power Armors be my guest.

This.
Self defense is never pointless.

Not the director's fault Sup Forums can't into subtext

Everyone gets what the subtext is supposed to be, you're not clever for getting it too.

The point is that the subtext doesn't actually work because Verhoeven doesn't demonstrate any valid significant flaws in the society in question, other than that some people are mutilated from war.

It's not a defensive war. They hint throughout the film that humans intruded into bug territory and wont' back off.

Everybody understands why a fascist society fighting bloody and pointless wars of expansion is bad, but Sup Forumsbeards see fancy uniforms and guns and think it's cool because they have 60 IQs

IRONY OVERLOAD

>this is what butthurt haters actually believe

Your analysis is horrifically incorrect.

There is nothing to understand about Avatar it's just a mediocre film.

I'd be fine with that government.

>pointless wars of expansion
They were more legitimate and efficient than any war the United States has engaged in within the past 20 years.

Explain it to us slowly then.

In order to explain it I have to ask further questions. What makes you think Starship Troopers is about a nationalist utopia?

>he still thinks the bugs attacked Earth

The same things that made Verhoeven bring out the Nazi costumes to try and make the society look flawed, because he couldn't demonstrate the flaws as a natural consequence of the story. The fact that it's state where democracy is a result of merit. There seems to be no corporate influence over the state whatsoever. In spite of 'citizen' being an earned status, non-citizens are still living peaceful, prosperous lives under the policies of the state. There's a clear mono-culture, at least within the military.

Basically, the state is strong, its people live in conditions of very high equality, and everyone seems to be more than provided for and fought for when they're attacked.

Holy fuck you're an idiot I see no reason to debate you further or interact with you in any way. Say whatever you want, I won't respond.

It doesn't? The adults are all maimed in some way from their service, you can't be a citizen unless you serve, and there's almost no fair judicial system. The film frames these all as positives of course.

>responds to tell me he won't ever respond

I'm doing my part.

Are you?

>you can't be a citizen unless you serve
And yet, the non-citizens within the film are clearly not being oppressed in any noticeable way. Serving guaranteeing citizenship just means that it's entirely based on merit. The son of an oil tycoon would have to sacrifice just as much as the daughter of a fast food worker. It's a system that ensures that those voting are highly conscientious and also not bound by economic status.

Good movie. Shitty society.

>pointless wars of expansionism
how is it pointless? you realise that if the bugs expand and take control of resources to the point that they are more powerful than the humans, the humans will have no say on whether they get to live or die? they're fighting to guarantee their future existence and self-determination.

>1.5 megatons of energy
>big
the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was literally 40 million megatons, earth (and life as a whole) was still fine afterwards

that's peripheral to the point he was making.

Wouldn't an un-clever satire be exactly what you're describing: a movie that gems in a bunch of "whoa guys, looks like things aren't what they seemed" moments?

i thought the point of this movie was that it looks and feels like actual nationalist propaganda, hence all the ra-ra acting and "would you like to know more?" stuff. maybe it doesn't strictly qualify as satire in that case, but its definitely at least as clever as anything else