Arrival

Just finished watching this and holy fucking shit...

Maybe it hit me extra hard because I've experienced the loss of someone extremely close to me, so the idea of being able to decide whether or not you want to experience your life with that person even though it means you will end up suffering the greatest pain imaginable when you lose them, the thought of being able to make that choice, and knowing that you 100% would choose to do it...it's a fucking powerful idea. The ending actually brought me to tears.

But even aside from that aspect, this was the greatest Sci-Fi film I've seen in a long-ass time. I'd rank it up there with Contact and Interstellar. Just fucking phenomenal. So well-made, and such an engrossing story.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend you watch it. Don't let my review of it get your hopes too high, though. Remember we're all individuals with different tastes so me loving something doesn't mean you will, too. But there's a chance you will, so give it a shot. Especially if you loved the other two films I mentioned.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YrwRd_27fhw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, Arrival is fucking fantastic OP.

>the power of time-travel by learning a language allowed me to make the world sing Kumbaya
Typical Hollywoodification of a simple story

Has anybody ever told you you're a faggot?

Are you literate enough to have read the source material? It's not Finnegan's Wake, you know.

The short story is even gayer

It's very good like every Villeneuve film

>the source material
This thread isn't about the source material, bud, it's about the movie.
>implying I'm the illiterate one
This board is for discussing films, not books.

At least it doesn't pander to chinks.
Ironic considering it was written by one.

And I'm saying the film is Hollywood garbage, in case you didn't get it the first time.

this is good bait, 6/10

I thought it was really damn boring and pretty stupid. Wont watch again.

I wasn't responding to that statement, I was responding to the statement in the comment that I replied to.
Man, you really seem to be struggling with this. Maybe go give Twitter a try and see if you can get the hang of that, then come back here and see if you can figure it out.

I dont remember the story pandering to chinks? What do you mean?

Villeneuve did good for how trash the story is

Do you know what a conversation is? Or are you capable of only remembering what you're directly replying to? The film is a bloated, loud adaptation of a simple, thoughtful short story. No amount of autistically raving about how a film adaptation should be discussed as if it exists in a vacuum is going to change that.

The whole Chinese general subplot wasn't in the short story. But then again the short story wasn't about saving the world, which is what puts morons in the seats.

>Abbott died
Why did they do this?

I liked it, hit me pretty hard as well OP

That made me so sad, but after the movie ended I realized that it totally wasn't sad because of how they experience time. The aliens know that all life ends, and they don't experience their lives linearly, which means they knew he was going to die then, and Costello knows when he's going to die, but they're fine with it because they just experience their whole life non-linearly. Their life is their life, and they can essentially experience any part of it they want at any time. Sort of. Idk, it's hard to put this shit into words.

I get what you mean. If all of us knew when our death was going to happen then it wouldn't seem as bad, it would just be another fact.

no idea, I think it's about where it started shitting the bed too

>aliens from the future communicate with fucking paint blots
>Jeremy Renner abandons his daughter who he knows will die young
People really like this shit?

The only real issue I had with it was the group of soldiers planting that bomb and planning to apparently fight off the entire rest of the army with a few guns. They had to have known they were going to get killed, and why the fuck would any of them be willing to sacrifice their lives just to set off one bomb inside one ship (of which there are 12), which they had no reason to believe could even do any actual damage to the ship or the aliens? The obvious assumption would be that setting off the bomb would just piss the aliens off and make them more likely to attack/destroy Earth, so seriously, what in the holy fuck was the endgame of those retards? What the shit were they hoping to accomplish? It made ZERO sense.

He didn't abandon her, they mention several times that he still sees her. Logically he divorced her and so she gets custody and he only gets visitation.

>He didn't abandon her, they mention several times that he still sees her. Logically he divorced her and so she gets custody and he only gets visitation.
Dude, if I knew my daughter was gonna die, and my wife knew the whole time, I would tell her to fuck the divorce and were staying together until her end.

>Jeremy Renner abandons his daughter who he knows will die young
That part frustrated me a little, but only because it makes his character so weak. It's no unrealistic, I'm sure there are plenty of real people who would react the same way in that situation, but it shows serious weakness and it made me think less of him.

She must be the most cold hearted bitch ever to catfish this fucker into a kid she knew would die then give him only visitation rights in the divorce.

It certainly justifies the divorce. As much as he cares about his daughter he wouldn't be able to stand being around her.

No guy would settle for visitation rights with his terminally ill daughter, no matter how much he hates the wife.

You act like men have a say in the matter when it comes to divorce courts.

Uh, you're making it sound like HE divorced HER. What I'm saying is no guy would bring up the word "divorce" if he knew it would result in limited time together with his dying child.

And if she brought up divorce and took him to court, then she's a real fucking bitch for fighting for limited visitation rights. I know divorced couples that pretty much have an open door policy when they can see their kids.

>you're making it sound like HE divorced HER.
Did you even watch the movie?

I did, he left her, but no man would leave a bad marriage if the end result would be limited visitation with his sick kid.

Hollywood garbage is transformers, capeshit, those terrible modern horror movies, the numerous taken style ripoffs, Disney formulaic crap.

This movie does something unique and interesting. Go fuck yourself you contrarian faggot. You don’t need to like the damn movie but it’s far from the typical formulaic drivel that’s pumped out.

The short story was still about geting the world to sing kumbaya, but there was no nuclear war about to happen

That's a really shallow-minded thing to say. There are all kinds of people in the world, and plenty who would do exactly that (even many who actually have, I'm sure)

>There are all kinds of people in the world, and plenty who would do exactly that
I agree, but in the movie Renner seemed like a good guy.

Just shows that not every human is going to be able to handle these changes and knowledge. Growing pains for humans as a species.

>This movie does something unique and interesting.
like what

You have no idea how that would affect a person, though. Finding out that your daughter is going to die, and that your wife has known it would happen since before you were even married. It would fuck you up. And him being a good guy really doesn't have anything to do with it.

It was shit. Just a gay love story for roasties, except roasties don't have a brain to understand it. No wonder it tanked.

Have you met some soldiers? They’re fucking stupid rednecks half the time. They probably thought they were saving the world in their emotional rush. They didn’t think it through.

Exactly.

soldiers trend towards either hyper competent and slightly above average intelligence for their socio-economic background or absolute fucking dimwits who are a liability as soon as they get drunk or excited

What? No it wasn't. In the short story the aliens gave a little scientific information that was pretty much useless and then fucked off. Their purpose for arriving on Earth was left entirely mysterious because that wasn't the point of the story. None of this "we need humans' help in the future" "language is the weapon" shit.

>In the short story the aliens gave a little scientific information that was pretty much useless and then fucked off
Wow, that sounds absolutely riveting.

youtube.com/watch?v=YrwRd_27fhw

It's just a meh movie, like Interstellar. Contact isn't fantastic either but it's better than the other two.

Amy Adams not being sexy

I usually don't find her attractive but I thought she was beautiful in this for some reason.

first 4/5ths of the movie was pretty gud, the last 1/5th of the movie ruined the entire thing.