there are no adaptations hence title change

dude I read the wikipedia synopsis lmfao ive never read a book pickle riiiiick

>Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Well... do they?

I wish they would make it

With no connection to Blood runner

It doesn't matter

The book is not about it

Dick's book is exactly the same as everything else he wrote stylistically. Memely Scott's movie took the premise and electrified it using crazy East-Asian future-aesthetics. He made the story simple and thematically confusing too but it sticks in peoples' heads better that way.

It'd probably be better if they just took another story and did that from scratch. A new movie that's like Blade Runner but different would confuse everyone. 'Flow My Tears' the Policeman Said or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch would probably be cool. And now that kinographers like Nolan, Villenueve and the Donnie Darko guy have audiences halfway interested in science-fiction that isn't garbage they might even make money if handled right.

actually i was being ironic, asshole.

the book is great but no doubt Blade Runner is a masterpiece, way better then book, even the Real Philip K Dick was shocked of how the movie looked like he imagined...

It's not. And it's not even PKD's best book.

>'Flow My Tears' the Policeman Said or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch would probably be cool.
Yep I agree
They are stylisticaly close to Sheep

Mercerism is an interesting bit of wierdness and deserves its own movie.

>dude im still copypasting wiki lmao pretending i know things duh xDDD

What is?

yes
the blade runner adaptations are good however they fail to even mention religion (mercerism) due to secularist society and would flop even more like for example radio free albemuth adaptation.

No need, you are 100% correct. Blade Runner sucked ass. If you put it on mute with a synthwave album it makes for good aesthetics and that's about it.
good point
sure bud

Scanner Darkly or Man in the High Castle are better all-round, but I lilke VALIS for sheer druggy weirdness.

>Hey guys I'm writing a book, I'm gonna call it "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"
>That's nice Phil, well do they?
>Oh lol it has nothing to do with it I just thought it sounded cool

Nice.

love pkd, book was great, movie was very different from the book, but great in its own way

Funny, as all of Dicks other books are shit but the adaptations are good/better than the source

Serious question, honestly: Do you not understand what the meaning of the title is in relation to the book?

The book is also considerably different.

Get better taste, idiot.

It's actually pretty central to the plot.

Deckard in the book constantly obsesses about buying an robotic sheep because he can't afford a real one, and people in his culture tend to keep animals as social status symbols (them being rare after ecological disaster and mass extinction).

At a certain point he questions whether he's an android or not... and gets himself tested to find out.

And it'sa good question: *Would* an android obsess and dream about pulling together enough money to buy an artificial sheep?

>At a certain point he questions whether he's an android or not... and gets himself tested to find out.
What? When does this happen? Don't remember that at all.

It sound 100 times better than the movie.

Why do redditors unironically reply to blatant shitposters like they're not encouraging them to shitpost more?

They're both good for different reasons.

PKD saw an early version of The Original Blade runner before he died and said that he really liked it, and that the look and feel was right in line with what he was going for.

He acknowledge the differences in plot, but he was smart enough to know that adaptation across mediums often demands that sort of thing.

Also - PKD was never a man overly concerned with overall plotting. His books tend to fixate on a couple premises and an overall tone and mood, and let the rest of the plot details just sort of jumble together.

A lot of his books are actually kind of nonsensical from a narrative standpoint.

That is the natural cycle of Sup Forums my friend. A healthy pool of unaware redditors for enlightened shitposters to feast upon is necessary to maintain the delicate balance in this internet ecosystem, predators and prey. Without redditors, there is no Sup Forums

Actually Sup Forums existed before your homesite, faggot.

this is my homesite

t.ourist redditor

Dude, I've been here since 2006. There's always been a mix of people who shitpost, and people who play it straight.

The phenomenon of shitposters flapping the gums about the big bad reddit boogeyman is the only thing that is new.

Truth is, almost all of the "serious" oldfags now post on both sites.

>Truth is, almost all of the "serious" oldfags now post on both sites.

>I will adapt this to mobie
>blade runner
>do they run blades
>no

I can't be a tourist, I've been here all summer

DADOES is one of the weakest PKD'S novels, while Blade Runner was by far best movie based onhis work.

you didnt read the book at all or speed read the whole thing. he had an electric sheep the whole damn book. he was ashamed by it and desperatly wanted to buy a real animal.

Who cares, both are crap. Whether robots can feel emotion or not is a pointless question really. And even if it could, if it had the power of reasoning as well, it would seek for it's reason of existence rather than becoming obsessed with it's life experiences that it would kill for it. It would ask what their existence means beyond their short lifespan. The most reasonable people became religious for this reason. That final monologue was extremely lacking, the replicant was really superficial.

>DADOES is one of the weakest PKD'S novels, while Blade Runner was by far best movie based onhis work.

I think you mean A Scanner Darkly which captures PKD's work perfectly!!!FACT!!!

I really need to see it then

Blade Runner tightens the plot considerably and discards most of the weirdness and disjointed elements of the book. I do prefer it above Androids.

There were a couple of amusing and/or interesting bits in the book though, like at the end of the story, Rachel throwing the live sheep off of Deckard's roof to spite him and Rachel and Priss being the same model android, an aspect that I wouldn't have minded seeing in the movie

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Why did they steal William Burroughs' Blade Runner title instead of keeping the Sheeps name?

The whole "android police station" section of the book was interesting as fuck.

This. Say what you want about Linklater, but ASD is perfect

>discards most of the weirdness and disjointed elements of the boo
Now that's a load of bullshit. Religion, animals, and Deckard's wife are not disjointed in any way, they add up to a consitent vision. They are the actual SciFi part of the story.

Movie, aside from visuals, doesn't really have a well thought out vision of future other than "foggy futuristic noir city". But the book tries to examine the actual sociological impact of new technology (replicants). It has one consitent main idea: that the entire society will warp in a driection established by the need of proving you're human and insecurities related to it. Hence animals, hence Mercerism.

One thing I still don't understand is what exactly are replicants supposed to be? I mean in the sense of, what are they inside? Do you have blood (something that's supposed to look it)?

They both co-exist and compliment each other perfectly well

Yes i know they are almost completely different stories but if you'd read the book you would know what i mean

We /lit/ now !

Also surprised no one's made "childhoods end " into a movie

I'd have liked if they'd properly done Mercerism in either of the film's, it was such a neat idea to me.

I also love the bit in the book where one of the androids calls the police on him and they start trying to mindfuck him into thinking he's the andy.

Time Out of Joint is his best book

It's wierd way to spell three stigmats user.

Kids’ book, like the rest of sci-fi and fantasy shit, I enjoyed it when I was 11.

I mainly meant how the nexus-6 were set up as a threat. In the book, the core group were a bunch of hobos holed up in a near-abandoned appartment complex alongside with a retard. The movie took that aspect and enhanced it with a plot that made sense.

The relevance of animals got a little more screentime in the video game, though not approaching the point where they were nearly deified.

It came into the story as abruptly as it left it, and it only seemed to be included so that Deckard and his partner would raise questions if they were androids themselves. The latter part is fine in and of itself, but the entire scene conflicted with the perceived danger of the nexus-6 renegades, because having a secret police station filled with unsanctioned androids seemed like a way bigger fucking threat than what Deckard was tasked with - and everyone was already making a big deal about that. So that is my issue with that. It just really sticks out that it was written on drugs and paranoia and while that's fine I'm just saying that the movie made the overal story more coherent and tight with its changes and decisions on what to include from the book, what to leave out, and what to imply.

PKD died before the movie came out.

pithier

>'Flow My Tears' the Policeman Said
isn't that Minority Report?

But wasn't the police station a made up one by the replicants who "worked" there?

>bladerunner is literally Deckard's job description
Nice try /lit/ but a brainlet always outs themself.

Nah.

Or it got translated twice in here, because I read ook titled literally minority report, and saw the other one in a bookstore

Dick is such an underrated author...

He visited the set a couple of times IIRC.

Maybe I'm a pleb (with a language barrier, also), but I found the book to be just as forgettable as the '82 movie. Lol artificial animals in the wild. Lol touching monologue In the rain.
In that sense, le neo-runner is much more traditional storytelling. I went two times, it's my MOTY. It certainly nods to the book as well as Fallout.
I've also read Ubik and watched Scanner Darkly. Again, only endings are somewhat memorable. I don't get Dick, if you catch mr drift.

I disagree he is rated pretty highly and I believe it is just the right amount he deserves for his talent.

More accurately, the movie probably contributed to the decline of his health, thus one could say it killed him. Who knows what he saw during In the US maybe. He's practically unknown in my country.

>Lol artificial animals in the wild. Lol touching monologue In the rain.
>le neo-runner
>It certainly nods to the book as well as Fallout.
>I don't get Dick, if you catch mr drift.
Is this from a re*dit post?

In my understanding they're biological fabrications. Their functioning (metabolism etc) is pretty much the same as humans. The only difference is that they have a limited lifespan, and only (?) in the film, they also have some improvements like super strengths.

So how are they made in the book? It's been a couple of years since I read the book but wasn't there some part about them being like slaves?

It's barely similar, honestly

It's been quite a while since I read the book, but I don't think the book elaborates on their production.

I know, but I always felt like whenever people spoke about the book they knew more about what replicants were than I did, so I was just wondering.

>t. edgy teen from rebbit

They were robots in book. With wires and shit inside.

Using DADOES as reference material to BR is fucking stupid meme

Yea when he finds out that the fake police is filled with replicants that don't even know it.

I had no idea that the movie is based on the book untill the end when they tell you.
The move does not have lots of thing from the book.

I don't think they were completely electric androids. They had biological parts and seemed like a very advanced cyborgs or something in the books

Yea they are slaves on the planet colonies. And go to earth to be free.
They are like human but Thier cells die in a few years. To check them after death you need a special lab test that takes a long time.

nah, he already had an electric sheep, he was wondering if he should buy a real animal, which he does

>Flow My Tears' the Policeman Said
lol no

> The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Yes but I wouldn't chose this one first.

they had parts that very nearly identical to biological parts

it's mostly just the characters and some of the setting

>Scanner Darkly
It's shit.

>Man in the High Castle
Not in my top 5, or even top 10...

>To check them after death you need a special lab test that takes a long time.
So then they aren't "robotic" inside?

He wasn't uncertain that he is human rather he wasn't uncertain that the test actually works. Cause there was another blade runner who he was sure to be android but find out he wasn't

Yep not robots

Well they surely had bone marrow
Thats how you could identify them for androids except Void-Kampf test.
So they were biological

I think it was bought at least for some time

>Coming to Sup Forums to bait all the chicken heads.

What?

What do you think about this?

youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ_MhqQH50

Agree. Same with pic related.

>I haven't read the book but it is crap anyway

In my experience people who rate him highly are redditors who think he is so hip and trippy and random. That's not what he deserves.

All of PKD's stuff is shit.

>he book is great but no doubt Blade Runner is a masterpiece, way better then book,

fuck off... I guess you haven't even read the book.

for me the most unforgivable sin in br is having the androids be perfectlyt humans with no difference whatsoever

Deckard starts feeling empathy for the androids and has second thoughts about the morality of his actions. In a way he wonders if they are human

(in the book it turns out the androids are empathy-free monsters after all)

fuck off

>t. pickle rick