I just finished watching these. What else does Sup Forums recommend that's in the same vein as Buffy/Angel?

I just finished watching these. What else does Sup Forums recommend that's in the same vein as Buffy/Angel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNBUpKQyLw4
youtube.com/watch?v=wAzVkUpgwGc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

supernatural
it's better in every way too

same premise? with demons and vampires and apocalypse and shit?

yep, supernatural has all that shit and more

Supernatural gets close, is perhaps comfier and lasts longer but it's a different show, more linear as you follow the brothers on the road.
It bothers me that they gradually took away all the romance plots which Buffy/Angel had and Supernatural now doesn't, but what it lacks in that it makes up in comfyness.
And yeah pretty much.

Psychotic shippers ruin everything.

including gods, fallen "good" powers, remarkable characters?

My favorite characters were cocky/snarky ones, and also characters that go darkside or the opposite, demons with redemption arcs

what do you guys men by "more linear"

Yes, Supernatural has had all of those. It's been on the air for over a decade, there's not much they've not done by now.

prime me up, user. Which ones are analogs to these?

>unapologetic quipfest/snarky hero like Buffy or Spike

>good guy going darkside (and i mean real bad) like dark willow

>demons/bad guys who redeem themselves (Anya, Angel, Spike, Faith, Illyria for these shows)

>sibling relationships (Buffy/Dawn)

>forging questionable alliances/gray morality (Wesley having a working+sexual relationship with a bad girl Lilah Morgan)

>overpowered characters (Illyria, Glorificus)

>qt waifus (Buffy, Faith, Lilah, Fred)

Yup... 13 seasons and I still wish they woul'dve gone for at least one of the best grills in the show for Dean. Shippers say no
And yeah, all the time. Crowley, the king of Hell is probably the snarkiest of them all
Linear like... I dunno... Buffy and Angel deal with the complicated lives of chars in a city and it's a maze of things happening. Supernatural follows the brothers as they roam the road, saving one life at a time and then move on, though obviously, bigger crap happens in the big picture and that follows them.

>Supernatural follows the brothers as they roam the road, saving one life at a time and then move on, though obviously, bigger crap happens in the big picture and that follows them.
where do(es) the apocalypse(s) kick in?

>Quipfest
Dean
>Good guy going bad
Almost everyone has ther utter evil moment... not gonna spoil it for ya, but at least 2 of the 3 main chars almost cause the apocaypse od nifferent occassions
>Redeemed demons
Probably Crowley.
>Sibling
Main chars are pretty much the definition of brotherly bonding
>Questionable alliances
Yeah, they work up with demons/vampires all the time for some bigger goal and then somebody bitches about it just like in Buffy/Angel
>Overpowered
Some angels, god, lucifer, the darkness...
>Waifus
See Thoiugh dont het your hopes up... no waifu lasts in SN

There's always an apocalypse going on, wether is demons opening up the gates of hell, the battle between Lucifer and Michael, leviathans, a nuke-overcharged angel or the Darkness, bigger plot is always there

cool ill give it a go. thanks

The thing to remember about Supernatural is the first 5 seasons tell the story of 2 bothers searching for their missing father and the show was supposed to conclude at the end of that 5th season. It didn't, the original creator left and the CW brought in new people to run the show so every season is a new story, some better than others.

>the show was supposed to conclude at the end of that 5th season
so just like Buffy, then? interesting

Supernatural is the unofficial successor of the Buffy universe. They even have several cross over actors

Pretty much this. Had Faith gotten her own spinoff series it would have looked a lot like Supernatural.

>Had Faith gotten her own spinoff series it would have looked a lot like Supernatural
on what grounds? I mean why specifically Faith?

Because as Buffy was ending the writers wanted to do a spinoff with Faith traveling from town to town hunting down monsters. That's Supernatural in a nutshell.

More details.

Tim Minear explained some of the details about the spinoff and reasons why it did not happen:
"I had come up with a pitch. Eliza was gracious, kind and wonderful, but she felt like she wanted to do something new. There is no hard feelings there. But the show was basically going to be Faith meets Kung Fu. It would have been Faith, probably on a motorcycle, crossing the earth, trying to find her place in the world. I'm sure it would get an arc at some point, but the idea of her rooted somewhere seemed wrong to me. The idea of her constantly on the move seemed right to me. And she broke out of prison (on Angel) so there would have been some people after her."

>it's better in every way too
probably not in fight scenes but arguably, yes

Well Sam and Dean aren't martial artists, they use guns or whatever weapon is necessary so yeah.

i didn't even know there was a pitch for Faith to have her spinoff. this would have been nice. I like Faith

agreed

Didn't Dean say something like "You've forgotten your training" to Sam in the pilot? The one where Dean snuck around and tackled Sam to the floor?

although yeah, granted i dunno what martial art that was if any

I think that was more general "be aware of shit that might be trying to attack you" training than any sort of specific combat training.

youtube.com/watch?v=eNBUpKQyLw4

I know many people shit on activating the rest of the potentials but one slayer per generation never made sense when demons were plentiful everywhere all over the damn world

if one slayer couldn't even stop the beast what if there were 10 beasts all over

Just rewatched the opening on Netflix, you're right they were going hand to hand when Dean first showed up. Also, I didn't know that Adrianne Palicki, now of the Orville, played Sam's gf.

man the fights in buffy/angel were always gripping

youtube.com/watch?v=wAzVkUpgwGc

Kindred the Embraced

Weird that I got so many Supernatural suggestions but looking at them through IMDB, the people who liked the other didn't suggest/like the other but they seem very similar when reading the synopses

Supernatural is generic garbage that copies Buffy, don't waste your time on it.

Charmed

iZombie

wow what got your panties in a knot? the fact that supernatural uses classic rock already sets its tone very different from buffy, and even many other shows on air right now

there are similar themes, but it is its own show and story

this

>classic rock
it's to fans of rock and metal what TBBT is to nerds and gamers.

any good fight scenes in these? are the thematic horror/supernatural elements the main focus instead of in the background? I don't want a TVD/TWD mess where it's primarily drama and they only whip up the magical threats 10 minutes per episode

Charmed could have been good but they made it too light hearted and comedic. The sister marrying the angel didn't help matters any.

are you seriously claiming AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Blue Oyster Cult, The Rolling Stones, etc aren't classic rock? Kys and salt and burn your remains

The music was one of the best things about Supernatural. A shame they cut it from the Netflix version because they didn't want to pay for the rights to keep it in.

Kindred lasted for a season and got canceled, but it's supernatural themes are it's main focus.

What I'm saying is that Supernatural has the most banal references that are "look we play Halo 2 XDDD" tier.

You're seriously recommending a series that didn't even last 1 season and is hard as hell to find because they never released it on DVD or anything?

>hard to find
I found it on tpb, so I doubt that. But yeah, I am recommending it because it has a similar setting to Buffy's and I mentioned it got canceled beforehand, so the OP can decide if he's going to bother with it.

The Scooby Gang and Angel Investigations are rooted in their respective towns. The Winchesters travel the american back roads and watering holes.

Buffy/Angel uses its own lore and comes up with its own creatures/villains based on archetypes. Supernatural is more american and/or biblically-aligned. Both have demons but different kinds of demons.

Buffy's focus is a metaphor for growing up. Angel's main focus is redemption. Arguably, Angel shares the "free will" with Supernatural more than Buffy did.

Your opinion is ignorant.

Brimstone and Forever Knight

>Supernatural has the most banal references that are "look we play Halo 2 XDDD" tier.
Yeah because Buffy didn't have Dracula, and Willow didn't use the terms "Dumbledore", nor was she compared to Dark Phoenix of the X-Men, and Team Angel didn't have a demon who's up-to-date with pop culture and Hollywood culture, right?

Oh wait

>Kindred lasted for a season and got canceled, but it's supernatural themes are it's main focus
is this just about vampires? kinda want a more varied roster of monsrosities

not him but holy shit kill yourself for using that shitty tumblr reaction image

Buffy had camp and occasional moments that made it worth watching, Supernatural is mediocre garbage made for 12 year old girls to get wet to. Also, Buffy's filler episodes were actually okay for the most part where Supernatural is just horrid through and through.

try

throw any buzzword you want, that doesn't make my point wrong

>Supernatural is mediocre garbage made for 12 year old girls to get wet to. Also, Buffy's filler episodes were actually okay for the most part where Supernatural is just horrid through and through.
I take it you haven't actually watched the show. I'd understand if you meant AFTER seasons 1-5 (even though the latter seasons had better MOTWs than mytharcs), but the first few seasons had real good filler/stand alone episodes

do you even know what "buzzword" means you mongoloid?

I've seen it up to season 9. Up to season 5 it's mediocre at best and then just diminishes in quality with each new season. There were a lot of other shows that did the same or similar premise better and more interesting.

>There were a lot of other shows that did the same or similar premise better and more interesting
pray tell which

Forever Knight and Brimstone

>Up to season 5 it's mediocre at best
Faith, Scarecrow, Heart, Roadkill, What is and What Should Never Be among the top of my head are more than just mediocre.

I used to trash supernatural until i gave it a try. It's at least 7/10 overall

Yes, Kindred is all about vampire society.

You should give the granddaddy of all monster hunter shows a look. I am of course talking about Kolchak: the Night Stalker. Started out as a TV movie called the Night Stalker, they made a 2nd called the Night Strangler and then turned it into a series that ran for 1 season. Do not mistake it for the godawful reboot they did in the 2000s. It's about a reporter who investigates supernatural crimes. Usually people are murdered by something, he starts looking into it and discovers the cause, tries to tell the cops, they don't believe him and so he's forced to kill the monsters himself. He has no special powers, he's just an ordinary guy doing what no one else will do. Without him there would be no X-Files, no Buffy, no Angel, no Supernatural, no nothing.

Teen Wolf, kinda. High school kids fight the supernatural. Todd and the Book of Pure Evil too, if you’re going for more comedy

>Teen Wolf
isn't this an even bigger tween girl/fag bait than supernatural is

OP here, im on the 2nd episode of Supernatural now. It does have the same atmosphere and structure. Enjoying it so far.

>7 Seasons of Buffy
>5 Seasons of Angel
>13th ongoing season of Supernatural
what a daunting task but i guess if you enjoy these shows, you have so much material to go back to

The Vampire Diaries/The Originals if you want just more vampire shit in general.

I feel like the third one in that picture shouldn't count. She was in 1 episode, the others were atleast recurring characters.

Amy Acker should always count.

>12:04:09
>12:04:58

>the swift response to an amy-related post

I'm just glad he didn't include Felicia Day.

I'm not saying she's not cute, because she is, but she was in like the second episode of the series and then never seen again. A character should have to atleast be in a few episodes to qualify for best girl status.

>Felicia Day
what's the matter, user? afraid of girl lesbi slayer turned hunter power? :^)

1 episode of Amy is enough to make her best grill in any show, user.
It's a shame there's not more of her.

Amy Acker is best girl in everything she's in though. I'm watching fucking Person of Interest just because I know she's going to end up becoming one of the main characters at some point.

>mfw

I know that feel.

If there was more of her the fans would have demanded she be killed off for daring to be a romantic interest for Dean. It's probably for the best she didn't become a recurring character.

>I'm watching fucking Person of Interest
Thats a good tv show tho

>It's probably for the best she didn't become a recurring character
are we sure she wasn't tracked and hexbagged by crowley during late season 8 though

I didn't know there was a camel race in Shadowrun...

Yeah it is a good TV show but I want more of Root and I just started the 2nd season.

Plus consider this:
>Qtest qt of all time
>Excellent wife material
>Loving mother
>Confy town to settle down and have a happy life after the ghosts were gone
>Pure enough to only kiss Dean only after he saved the day and behaved like a knight in shining armor, not falling for his early tricks
Andrea is pure
Unfortunately for it, the road must go on, and there's more work to be done...
TV rules, m8. No body, no dead character.
And not even evil Crowley can be that evil

The worst part about that? She fucking paid $1,000 as a Kickstarter backer to get her goddamned face into that game. Do you think she actually gives a shit about Shadowrun? I don't. It was just PR to give her more nerd cred.

>Felicia Day
>a lesbian killed by a Nazi conspirator in a shower
W E W no wonder tumblr was pissed

Don't forget the ugly autistic son though. That's kind of a deal breaker.

threadly reminder

wait, they killed her off in supernatural? i dropped the show because i kept putting off watching an episode with her for months and then a whole year

i might pick it up again then.

>they killed her off in supernatural?
Supernatural corrected Buffy's mistake. Amanda should have survived, not Vi

>Having a reason to break an Amy deal
Get out of here.
Besides, Dean was obviously getting to him as well. Dean would be a cool dad if given the choice

this is wonderful news. when does she bit it?

Whoa, whoa, wait. Millie from Freaks & Geeks was a Slayer?

last stretch of season 10. tumblr was up in flames and many of them dropped it when their approved lesbi, non-ship-threatening self-insert was killed by a Nazi supporter

yep

that's great, i actually think i dropped it on season 9 or 10, so it won't take me long to catch up. been looking for a comfy show to watch for a while now

Anything that causes shippers to drop a show is good news especially if it involves killing off Felicia Day.

Pic related is rampaging across the world, how do seasons 1-5 Sam and Dean stop her?

Sam distracts Illyria while Dean comes from behind and penetrates Illyria

Dean gets to her human side and becomes her boyslave, like it happened the other time he met a goddess.

p-penetrates her with what...? angel dagger, right...?

That's good too. I would have just gone with the power of love, though. Illyria just wants sum fuk

>becomes her boyslave
so like Spike with Illyria? I know Kripke watched Buffy and Robert Singer (the producer and not the character) later on said his favorite character was Spike but nowhere did they say Dean was inspired by Spike. I've always read Han Solo. But damn their similarities are uncanny.

Kindred the Embrace is based off vampire the masquerade. I'm a fa/tg/uy, and it's complete shit.

firefly
xena
veronica mars (though it does go to shit)