Will this be the last Great Big Budget Sci-Fi Kino?

Will this be the last Great Big Budget Sci-Fi Kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1509011791656.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not the last, but maybe for the next decade or so.

don't cry because it's over
smile because it happened

But it wasn't great. It was mediocre trash like the last "big one" (Gravity).

Yes, pack it up, it's all over.

I got so depressed when I saw a Thor commercial today. People objectively have shit taste. I just want Hollywood to fail completely at this point.

Wouldn't be surprised if studios start capping most sci-fi budgets at no more than $100 million for the foreseeable future. Maybe even lower.

It's not even that good. Recent films like Arrival and Interstellar completely blow it out of the water.

>1.2mb for a 2 seconds gif

Lmao nice bait brah

I'm not a Villeneuve fan and the film had its flaws, limits and compromises (Villeneuve's unability to transcend the material, weak script, lack of originality/fan service/throwbacks inherent to unneeded franchise sequel revival bullshit), but its slowburn rhythm, dedication to audiovisual mood above plot or spectacle and lack of pandering to lowest-common denominator and current trends is nothing short of a miracle for a production of this budget considering the current state of Hollywood.

According to wiki, it already made 220mil on a 180mil budget; it's disappointing but not a disaster either.

what movie

>Villeneuve's unability to transcend the material
The sex scene could have been a disaster in less talented filmmakers, and the baseline tests could have easily been unremarkable, I mean it's just a guy talking to a wall

The word of mouth is extremely good for this film. I went to an 11:00 PM showing and expected to be the only one but it was about 1/4 full. I think it will have long legs like it's predecessor.

Don't forget Valerian.

Well, Villeneuve is going to be doing Dune, so there's some hope for the future.

$180M is before marketing. Still, it should break even at least once it hits home video.

Blade Runner 2049.

>The sex scene
I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't go all Game of Thrones with that. It was very tasteful, in addition to being artfully presented with regard to the holographic element. That made it a movie that my mother could even enjoy (I got her to go with me the second time I saw it, since she's a bit of a movie buff).

This. First time I saw it, I was the only person in the theater (weekday matinée in a rural area, so not surprising). Second time I went, there were like ten people in the theater (still for a weekday matinée) , although I think only a couple of us were under 40. I see now that it's still showing here this week, although it's down to matinées only (I had kind of expected it to be dropped last week).

that's how GIFs work bruh
they're lossless

The writing wasn't weak, the ideas were all great.
But yes it was sort of sloppy how it all came together, the ties to the previous movie , the rogue replicants. I think there were minor sloppy elements mostly because it was tied to other things but the core of it was pretty good. I think it's the main reason Sup Forums likes it

>$180M is before marketing.
how much did marketing cost for this movie? Because whatever they paid, it wasn't worth it. The marketing was terrible

Marketing costs are notoriously hard to get hard numbers on, but I've seen some claims as high as $300M total worldwide after marketing. IMO that has to be high, though. I can't see any way that they spent $120M or more on marketing this.

And even the $180M base production budget may be high, as I've seen a range of estimates from 150-180M. If it was closer to 150M, and if the worldwide gross of 220M is accurate, then it's entirely possible that they have broken even already or soon will.

And you're right: the marketing was pretty weak. The last-minute change of composers and soundtrack rewrite may have been a factor in that.

IMO Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was. Only because it was the last spectacle movie, Bladerunner tries to be grounded. Both flopped and will detour equal amounts of scifi though.

Valerian got mixed-to-negative reviews and flat-out bombed (at least in the U.S.). BR2049 has been critically praised and has solid audience ratings, but has had disappointing ticket sales that were partly a function of poor marketing (and not really bad enough to be considered a bomb, as it still topped its opening weekend). It has a decent chance to be salvaged by home video (and possibly by the awards season). While sci-fi may take a hit from it, I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's not going to be as bad as some might fear.

It can't have had more than a 2 million dollar budget. Movie looked like shit. Did they film it in like 4 different rooms? Barely any establishing shots, revisiting the same rooms over and over, barely any progressive shots, just teleporting everywhere. Ryan was the only good part of this movie while everyone else phoned it in.

bug eyes are hypnotic

It was nice to have a film that didn't swing the camera around and feel the need to constantly cut and do those godforsaken action zooms.

Depends how much they spent on advertising. How much do you get paid per post OP?

>a sex scene which doesn't exist getting brought up constantly by shills
This is where your money went Sony

b-b-but Valerian was a-actually really g-good

>which doesn't exist
???
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1509011791656.webm

it's not in the mexican cam rip