JSA Storytime: Majestic

Good evening owls,

let's finish this

Other urls found in this thread:

nyrb.com/products/mawrdew-czgowchwz
comicsbeat.com/preview-dc-debuts-a-new-look-snagglepuss-and-announces-upcoming-hanna-barbera-concepts/
twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/825428855368327168
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so what was good today

Flintstones and Captain Atom were great

Death of Hawkman was alright

The Wild Storm sounds pretty promising

that Gronk and Doug and Troy page in Flintstones is, like, straight out of a Tiptree Jr. story

I fucking love it

I ran Captain Atom, being Nate is suffering

>the planet is getting /d/'d

I'm tentatively hype for King Bane to constantly be trolling Batman. Cliffhanger gave hope.

Capt Atom was tragic and I kept waiting for someone to die in 9/11

Midnighter and Apollo is fun as fuck

Superman rushed the multiversity stuff, it was ok but more fan service than anything. I'm still chanting about the Time Trapper with this Rebirth/Mr Oz stuff.

Champions wasn't bad

Shade was really neat and I want to murder the user who posted about the electoral college like 2 posts after Flintstones was done. Nova was good. Captain Atom is pretty interesting in how they're swinging it.

Vampirella was a surprise, it's like a euro scifi pitch.

IMO the Hawkman book is dogshit but I guess YMMV.

What was the reference with the sci fi author in Capt Atom?? I can't think of how or why it'd be a Pied Piper shout out

It always comes down to sex and death.

>Champions wasn't bad
the Sup Forums shit isn't even my complaint with it

If time/alt universes really do self-correct than being Nate literally IS suffering in the complete canon.

How was your trip OP?

I missed the last one and I wanted to read it, I just got busy with work and by the time I got around to it the thread was 404'd.

you couldn't really pay me to read Champions

I poked my head into the thread to mention Theory of the Leisure Class and then GTFO

the score is great, the production kind of sucked, and I had some amazing food and went to the zoo

it's an all ages book which i think requires certain goggles but i get it isn't for everyone

Friday we just did the Alan Moore one-shot

I've been having to work late shift lately, that's why all the delays

no storytime tomorrow

>IMO the Hawkman book is dogshit but I guess YMMV.
I don't think it's terrible but it's nothing special either

just a few good moments between Katar and Adam surrounded by a lot of predictableness

also Hawkgirl wasn't even in the issue

shame about Isamot Kol too

Hello, Storyteller.

So here's something completely off-topic. How would you make a fantasy setting that distinguishes itself from the typical Tolkeinesque trappings?

Read a book and stop being a basic bitch.

I am 100% fucking ready for Snagglepuss

one interesting quick fix is "think up climate/terrain that's not temperate Northern Europe" and extrapolate life patterns from there

i need to post more Eat The Rich in those threads and less ranting about the electoral college and how it's a holdover from slavery days to appease the south

I find the way almost everyone talks really painful.

i didn't know Tennessee Williams was gay!

the EC is a blight because it SMDs the entire US, and SMDs are something I've become pretty negative toward

I just wanted like 10 posts after before it became politics hell, user. Real life is fucking politics hell already.

Damian's happy meal toy in Batman is a front runner for comic joke of the year

are you trolling or not, my sensors are broken now :(

an astounding number of American 20th century composers of classical music were also gay

>tfw no Robins ongoing

>they sense a stash of hidden cocaine

What'd everyone think of the "The Wild Storm" codex thing

I didn't!! We never learned about personal lives of these people in school and also i'm in the south they aren't gonna share that!

I didn't know Walt Whitman was gay until 2015 either!!

I knew Capote! and that a lot of the beats were at least bi-

good to see they have a blueprint, hope there is good follow through. Liked how he talked about stripping it down to basics and rebuilding, laughed out loud at "a wild CAT"

I loved Deadly Class. I know it's a known Remenderism but I really think this issue was the shot in the arm the series needed.

Wild Storm does look good so far, getting at what distinguishes and defines the setting and putting it in the Now

Oh, okay, that's totally fair. Whitman I'd call flexible, it's much less documented than the 20th century types. Composers: you have Bernstein, Copland, Blitzstein, David Diamond, and then so many of the playwrights...

Doesn't surprise me, honestly, since always had a theory that homosexuality is an evolutionary adaptation to counter overpopulation, so like, whatever.

that's some strategic shadowing

I didn't catch at first and had to google that Zealot as Lucy Blaze is Team One stuff, which means Madge is lurking in the wings. So happy to see Emp back on the main stage.

It sounds good, plus it's nice to know they have a plan (and why they haven't announced more books for it yet)

That seems like a reversible argument.

There was also a genuine Gay Culture in 50s-70s NYC--James McCourt writes well about it, including the greatest novel of opera fandom

Also Samuel Barber and Gian Carlo Menotti, for everyone who's seen Amahl and the Night Visitors

>including the greatest novel of opera fandom
???

I reached Jack going to space in Starman!! I wonder if monthly readers were like "He's never gonna go to space" or more impatient or what about it. also the Mist's babby ain't aging fast enough.

also we read Glass Menagerie and not Cat on a Hot Tin Roof so it's not like i could extrapolate.

nyrb.com/products/mawrdew-czgowchwz

this is the Platonic essence of the Cult Classic

(it's pronounced 'Mardu Gorgeous')

whoops

I feel like I'm reading a video game.

It's a very odd and very distinctive book and it's beyond the limit of the outer boundaries of too much, but the best bits are perfect.

That's not the way evolution works.

Homosexuality is a mutation that occurs in animals, too, but obviously since homosexuals aren't going to typically produce natural offspring, this mutation is normally not favored. Human society doesn't work on natural selection rules, which is why our species is so widely varied.

However it's not 100% certain that homosexuality is something in your DNA and not caused by psychological influences, but most scientists believe it probably is. Does this mean homosexuality could potentially be hereditary in some way? We don't yet know. But I personally believe there is a gene and it's been passed down and spread because homosexuality has been taboo for so long that most gay people would take opposite gender spouses to maintain appearances.

I don't know how actual gay people feel about this but I would think they'd be in support of the genetic theory because the psychological one supports the idea that people choose to be gay.

can you share the cheat codes?

Kojima could have written the Wildstorm U.

Sure. Down down down down down + A skips to page 22

that new Engineer design DOES look very MGS/ZOE ish

Speaking of video games I'm loving Giannis Milonogiannis, from Prophet, live tweeting his progress in Bloodborne

> i found vicar amelia. i guess this is my life now

Plus all the edginess and dumb spec ops and skimpy clothes.

Not him, but I wouldn't think acknowledging something as psychological inherently suggests choice. But I only have K-12 scientific knowledge so maybe that's retarded.

NuEngineer is like a female-looking Metal Gear.

Nioh is going to fucking consume my life once it comes out.

>ritual mating

Yeah I've held off on buying Yakuza 0 and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 for it

I need to sit down with some vidya

It's pretty neat that Madge obviously wears a uniform. Didn't pick up on that until seeing these other guys.

so what comics-related fun did I miss that wasn't Snagglepuss

>You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker

DC cancelled GL and JLI trades because of the Gerard Jones thing

unsurprising, but that is quite the hole in 90s comics, now

I too, and playing Phoenix Wright.

apparently Top Cat by Didio and Ruff & Reddy by Chaykin (lol) are going to be actual series too

comicsbeat.com/preview-dc-debuts-a-new-look-snagglepuss-and-announces-upcoming-hanna-barbera-concepts/

the Chaykin could so easily be edgy and awful, but it's licensed and thus you can't have dicks exploding on page, but...

Yeah the other day I saw JMD lamenting that JLI never got a full collection and that DC never collected his Doctor Fate

There was a solicit for a collection of the Fate mini he did with Giffen, but DC cancelled it because that's what they do

This fucking art...

Haha, what's wrong with their faces

I wish Chaykin was working with an artist. His storytelling skills are still sharp, but I think his linework has gone to hell. IMO he would benefit form just writing and doing layouts

Why is coming up with a good magic system such a pain in the ass?

As in Magic: The Gathering?

I don't like the way he inks himself at all/if he does it all digitally, and the pasted in textures are horrible

I mean if DC somehow put out a comic where Ruff and/or Reddy's dick explodes on-panel I can't say I would count that as a loss.

if anyone would do it, it'd be Howie

Where did the Chaykin dick exploding happen? Black Kiss 2?

I've tried to block it out, but that sounds right

Old Man Logan, Midnighter and Captain Atom minis.

As in making up one's own fictional type of magic that's simple and easy to understand, yet also has a fair amount of depth without getting complicated.

This is why I lean towards sci-fi. Fake tech is easier because you can base on real shit. Magic you have to pull out of your ass.

>Hanna-Barbera licenses slashed in sick violence orgy from demented pervert cartoonist
>Bill Keller to head new Comics Code Authority sob

There's a webcomic called Unsounded that has a very nicely tuned way of working magic.

I'm just being a cheeky cunt, I know what you mean.

I recommend reading up on occultism and religious stuff like chakras and chi.

god, this art

Woops, coming in late.

there are two issues after this but we're not going to make it there tonight, this is a goddamn struggle

I saw a quote about Black Kiss where he said it was all our least tasteful just WORST shit he could do

Only read Nova and GA so far.
Both good.
Considering watching Green Lantern.

Kek

Y'all are way too pussy about a dick exploding

sigh

I'd hate to start another political fight, but did anyone see Tom King's post about the immigration ban?
twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/825428855368327168