What should his new name be?

Don't get me wrong, I love Wally West as much as the next Wallyfag. If Barry were still dead I'd 100% think he should still be The Flash. But I think it's time he gets a new name.

They've already given him a new costume, obviously because the iconic Flash look belongs to Barry. It's not like he gets grandfathered in like Jay. Jay has seniority over everyone and Barry has relevance. With the movie and the TV Show, as well as the direction they've been going in the comics since Final Crisis, Barry's cemented as the iconic Flash. When people think "The Flash" they will always think Barry Allen. The Flash comic will always be about Barry because he is The Flash. How can Wally honestly be The Flash if...he's not even relevant in The Flash?

That being said, since Wally can't ever honestly be The Flash, just a Flash (like he said in Titans), shouldn't he get a unique name? Just like his costume, he needs to move on from being a Barry knockoff. If/When he gets his own comic it could have his new name as the title instead of just being some wonky derivation of The Flash.

I was thinking we name him Red Racer. The name's already got some traction thanks to Multiversity and it goes with the open cowl red hair.

Thoughts?

The Flash

Real contribution to the discussion right here.

He's not even The Flash. He's A Flash. Not much of a name imo.

Flash.

If he's The Flash then why isn't he wearing The Flash costume?

Clearly he needs differentiation. The name should be part two.

The Flash

We're not talking about Barry Allen, user.

>But I think it's time he gets a new name.

I think you're incorrect.

He's the Flash

Bolt, Flare, Surge, Rush or any other 4/5 letter synonym.

Flashback

Good one, user.

Scarlet Speedster

Well that's a nickname for Barry so I don't think that one works as well.

His name should be The Flash.

As much as people (like DC until very recently) want to ignore it, Wally fucking EARNED that title.

Do you have a reason why?

Other than "I like Wally more than Barry." It's not really about preference. It's just that the dude who isn't in The Flash comic book probably shouldn't be The Flash.

Red Flash

He can't be THE Flash though. He's only A Flash. Barry is The Flash

Of course he did. But so did Barry. It's not really about "earning" so much as he doesn't fit as The Flash. He's not on the Justice League, he's not in The Flash comic, he doesn't even have The Flash costume.

He's completely separated from anything that made him uniquely The Flash aside from the name. I think it's time to cut the last thread that keeps Wally in Barry's everpresent shadow. It's like we forgot the reason he took the name in the first place.

There are many Green Lanterns, so why can't there be more than one Flash?

You can try and bait all you want but Wally will always be the best Flash, Barry's will always be one of the best deaths in comics, and Barry's return directly correlates with the DCU becoming an irredeemable shitpile.

I hate this sentiment so freakin much,yes Barry is the mainstream flash but that doesn't make Jay and Wally any less deserving of that name,They has always been more than one flash,Wally earned that title any move away from it would be as cheap as "red robin" in terms of half assed corporate mandate

Fuck off, going by that logic, Jay Garrick is the Flash.

Because they are Green Lantern _____ or Green Lantern of Sector _____

Most go by name

No. He was The Flash. Now he is A Flash

Sure, I didn't say he wasn't the best Flash. But that's obviously an opinion. Most people don't even think of anyone but Barry as The Flash nowadays. That's the world we're in.

I'm not trolling. Thinking differently from you isn't trolling.

Just like how you went from being A faggot to being THE faggot.

But that doesn't work in relation to Earth based Green Lanterns. Sure, they're the Green Lantern of Sector 2814, but that could refer to Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Jessica, or Simon.

Thinking differently isn't blindly accepting the current shitty status quo and even going a step further and revising history for its benefit.

Who the fuck even cares about Wally

Because according to the OP, The Flash is like the Highlander meaning there can only be one.

The majority of the people in this thread agree that he's The Flash. Just like Jay Garrick and Barry Allen.

To the citizens of DC earth, there is John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Masked Green Lantern, Bigger Masked Green Lantern, Green Lanterngirl and Ski Mask Lantern.

So by your logic most people only think of Hal Jordan and John Stewart as Green Lantern. Stop thinking about just Sup Forums shit.

The Gingerbread Man

You can't catch him

Jay Garrick isn't in the same universe and was obviously a special case.

Jay can always be "Earth 2" Flash or something. But his Superhero name was basically Jay Garrick after he came back. People would refer to Wally as Flash and Jay as Jay.

I guess that can kind of be the same situation with Wally now but I think the costume change and his divorce from his role as The Flash in the Flash title, in the show, and in the Justice League suit him better to just forging a new identity.

Wally took up the Flash mantle because Barry died and he wanted to continue on the legacy. He didn't want anyone to forget about Barry. That's why he made his identity public.

But now we're in a universe where Barry never died. COIE never happened. Wally technically never took up The Flash mantle in Barry's name -- he only has murky memories of a past that no longer exists.

Much like everything else, he has to learn to let go and move on. A new name ought to help with that. There's no more need to keep Barry's name alive when Barry's alive.

>So by your logic most people only think of Hal Jordan and John Stewart as Green Lantern. Stop thinking about just Sup Forums shit.

GL is obviously different. They're a police force. There isn't a fucking school for Flashes. There isn't an entire army of Flashes. The Flashes don't have the bounds of space or multiple books or even multiple planets to stake their claims and differentiate.

The best you get is too fucking indistinguishable cities with different names.

I mean, fuck, Wally won't ever get to really be The Flash. Barry's the one who gets The Flash villains, the Flash supporting cast. The things that define The Flash all belong to Barry now.

Instead of giving Wally scraps I think he should get his own stuff.

Jay wasn't from earth 2 post crisis though,Pre 52 he was the OG flash and Barry was his successor,that didn't confuse anyone or bother anyone I don't see why newfags insist the flash be a one man title and not a title shared in a family

Wally's supporting cast HASNT shown up in the new52 or been a part of Barry's at all,Wally also had a bunch of rogues that showed up in Johns era that haven't shown up in the new 52 either,Barry took the name and parts of his personality not his role

There isn't multiple books for Green Lantern though, all six of them are lumped together across 2 books, 3 if you include Justice League.

>Jason

Learn something new everyday

Because if you end up with 5 dudes calling themselves The Flash the no one is The Flash. Just a bunch of Flashes that there's not enough room for.

Barry already is The Flash. It's not a question. Wally's hanging on to a name that it doesn't even make sense for him to have in this universe. All because Mark Waid really disliked Barry Allen in the 90s.

Like I said, it's not just about "too many" Flashes, all though that DOES matter. Wally has no reason to be The Flash. The entire reason he took up the mantle NEVER EVEN HAPPENED. Barry never died. Wally never became The Flash. He's got some fucked up memories from a timeline that never existed.

He might as well have been driven partially insane by the Speed Force for all the difference it makes. He's even embarrassed by it -- when confronted about Barry he sheepishly says he's "a" Flash because obviously the name is Barry's in this universe.

Think about it in the story. The added benefit of less dudes with the same name running around is nifty but not the entire reason.

What did you think Jay stood for?

J-Jay?

I'm talking mostly about the villains. Though Pied Piper has definitely shown up and Pied Piper is probably the second or third most important Wally supporting character behind Linda and MAYBE Jay.

Guess who's Pied Piper's friend now? Barry.

Right, and most of them are taking a back seat while 3 of them are the relevant ones. There's technically thousands of Green Lanterns (dozens of them uniquely named). You can't compare.

Jay Garrick already is The Flash. It's not a question. Barry's hanging on to a name that it doesn't even make sense for him to have in this universe. All because Carmine Infantino really disliked Jay Garrick in the 50's.

Then what about Barry and Bart?

Either just call him Flash or RedFlash

I mean we have had multiple Supermans and Batmans at once.
Hell didn't he stay as Flash when Barry came back? Why would he change now that he's back?

Barry and Bartholomew

Wally became the flash to honour Jay and Barry not just because Barry was dead,Barry showed up a bunch of times before his revival that never stopped Wally from using the name if you think Barry being alive undoes every reason Wally had for using that name you just don't get his character

He's The Flash of Earth 2.

If Wally was The Flash of Earth "Pre Flashpoint" in a book about shit that wasn't on the main Earth then that'd be cool.

If you mean they're going to bring Jay back soon then that's not a great thing but it's not the same situation. Jay's superhero name became Jay Garrick more than it did The Flash -- people only really called him The Flash when Wally was on break (like when he broke his legs).

And again, the multiple Flash thing isn't the main reason why I think they should change his name. They should change his name because they've changed everything else about him and given most of his Flash related shit to Barry anyhow.

Except that Barry is also Bartholomew.

Yes I know that.

He really didn't stay as Flash when Barry came back. He never suited up again after Flash Rebirth. They kicked him out of The Flash title, cancelled his upcoming book, and kicked him off of both the JL and Titans so he wouldn't show up as The Flash anymore.

They didn't want to confuse people as their costumes were too similar and they used the same name, so Barry was the only one who showed up after Rebirth (the original).

I'm talking about villians as well

Because if you end up with 5 dudes calling themselves Green Lantern, then no one is Green Lantern. Just a bunch of Green Lanterns that there's not enough room for.

Hal already is Green Lantern. It's not a question. John, Kyle, Simon, Guy and Jessica's hanging on to a name that it doesn't even make sense for them to have in this universe. All because Geoff Johns really disliked Barry Allen in the 2000s.

Like I said, it's not just about "too many" Green Lanterns, all though that DOES matter. They have no reason to be Green Lantern.

Think about it in the story. The added benefit of less dudes with the same name running around is nifty but not the entire reason.

Barry's appearances were purely temporary at that point. He would constantly go "I don't want to know how I die but I'm glad you took up the mantle" and stuff like that.

Which further leads back to the point of WHY Wally was The Flash. He was the Flash because Barry was dead and he didn't want people to forget about Barry and the things he did. That's also why he made his identity public, so people could know of Barry's sacrifice.

NONE OF THAT HAPPENED ANYMORE. The universe has changed. Barry never died in COIE because COIE never happened. Wally would've never become The Flash. The Speed Force fucked with his head.

>>Mark waid hated Barry allen

Well Kyle is technically White Lantern now
Guy should have stayed Red
Jessica should have stayed Power Ring
Baz shouldn't exist or at least go Blue
John commands the GL Core now so he needs a title representative of that

Girder, Axel, and Mardon have all appeared.

I'll give you Magenta, Blacksmith, Murmer and McCulloch. But McCulloch can't exist so long as Scudder's around so that's moot, and Magenta already showed up in the show.

If you think you can make a compelling Rogues' Gallery for Wally out of Blacksmith and Magenta (and who else, fucking double down? lol) then by all means. But the iconic Flash villains outside of fucking Abra Kadabra are all Barry's.

Wally West is The Flash.

Mark Waid had respect for the character but many, many times said Barry was boring and he would never bring Barry back to life because he wasn't that great a character.

It's ironic because some of Barry's best stories are under Waid's pen but hey, some of Wally's best stories are under Wolfman and Wolfman ACTIVELY hated Wally. You can write a character well and still not like them.

Fpbp

Except Wally(and the fans) fucking remember why he picked that name,Time getting fucked up doesn't change that plus new 52 Barry even remembers Wally as a flash and requests him to keep the name,how is this so hard to grasp around your head

You're right, maybe we should go around torching every story that had Wally as the Flash because it doesn't adhere to the strict continuity of this modern dumpster fire that is the DCU. And firebomb DC for bringing him back while having the audacity to call him the Flash still.

It's the Flash. It's the only thing he can ever be. He earned it.

If you really think the comics should follow the tv show then Linda should be crushing on Barry,also aren't the rogues proof enough any ridiculous concept can be a threat under the right pen,Plus Savitar,Zolomon,Cobalt blue and kilg%re can always come back

So it wasn't a problem when you had both Jay and Barry, why is it a problem now?

And more fans like Barry more if you want to go the "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FANS" route.

Most people only associate Wally as Kid Flash thanks to Young Justice and the TV Show, anyhow. If this is about how the fans feel then you're on the wrong side of the argument. Most fans only care about Barry.

New 52 does not remember Wally as The Flash. Wally had to tell him he was the Flash. Barry only remembered stuff from Wally's childhood because that wasn't edited.

Go reread Flash Rebirth or DCU Rebirth. You'll see all of Barry's memories are of Wally as a Kid, as Kid Flash, and on the Teen Titans. He didn't know Wally was The Flash, didn't know Wally was married, didn't know a single thing about Wally's adult life because it hasn't happened yet.

Wally was never The Flash in this universe. That's why, when he came back, he was wearing his Kid Flash costume. This is a universe where Barry never died so of course Wally didn't become The Flash.

Do they though? The actual fans, I mean. The ones who read comics before 2010.

Lol look at you. Those stories happened, a lot of people read them. Nobody fucking cares about whatever bullshit DC is trying to shove down your throats, what matters is the real history.

In this universe, the one that we live in, Wally was the Flash for two decades and is untouchable in terms of the quality of his stories. Your appeals to shitty continuity and outside media don't erase that.

DC clearly knows they can't just have the Wally that we know and love. It doesn't fit the cinematic or television universe and synergy is important. It doesn't even fit THEIR preferred universe.

Johns is a big Wallyfag and got to throw his wish into a book because of poor sales. So now we have this ass backwards situation where the universe does not work for a Wally West flash. You have to come up with nonsense about memories that never happened to even justify Wally BEING THE FLASH. Not to mention anything else.

Nothing about Wally's life as The Flash exists or is canon anymore. That was the entire point of Titans #6 -- Wally had to learn to let go of his life that never happened.

It's contradictory that he's holding onto the title he got from that life while giving up anything else. It just doesn't fit. They wrote themselves into a corner last time with the original Rebirth trying to have their cake and eat it by keeping Wally as The Flash as well, and it ended up in the situation we're currently fucking in. Wally as The Flash doesn't honestly work in the same universe with Barry as The Flash. They tried, it failed, they moved on to the more profitable thing.

If Johns is a big Wallyfag why the fuck did he write Rebirth?

Who and who isn't a fan isn't defined by when they started reading comics. Barry Allen's Flash is the most high selling solo hero comic besides Batman and that says a lot. Titans is selling poorly and getting lower every month.

The Wally fans like us are a loud minority, which thankfully includes Geoff Johns.

You are the worst type of comic book fan.

Most people only associate DC with grim stories and boring characters, that doesn't mean it's true. Are you going to agree with them?

New 52 is fucking bullshit though, I can't wait for this pathethic excuse of a timeline to finally end.

Good and we should really define the universe and narrative of the comics by super small minority of Wally fans, most of which stopped reading comics years ago anyhow.

Oh so this has been a bait thread the whole time.

EVS's idea and Didio approved it. Johns thought Wally was getting his own book. He thought, at worst, Wally would get the Kyle treatment where he gets his own book and gets the added benefit of being the most powerful Flash.

They quashed it because The Flash wasn't popular enough to support the sales. They didn't want to commit to a Wally book when last they looked Wally's solo was cancelled for sub 30k sales.

How dare I point out that Barry Allen is really popular and successful as The Flash? Or that I really like Wally and think a name change will help him out?

The fact that you are legitimately defending the current continuity of one of the worst periods in DC comics history shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

He's the Flash

>It doesn't fit the cinematic or television universe and synergy is important

Oh look more Sup Forums shit.

The Flash.

Wally doesn't need help. He is the Flash. DC needs help. Popularity and success mean fuck all.

First of in this universe Barry gave Wally the name,second off just because no one but Wally remembers his past doesn't mean he should forget all about it,also fuck off with your tv show synergy BS,might as well kill him off and keep Black Wally as the main Wally if DC is just gonna be supplementary material

Did you fucking skip over how Barry's outselling everyone but Batman right now?

Barry's super popular, a lot of that is because of the TV show. That's probably a big reason they were so happy to super push Barry to the moon and sideline Wally. Wally could never get this kind of cross success. Wally hasn't sold this well in his entire run as The Flash.

>Wally could never get this kind of cross success
He could if he had a live action TV show on the CW.

Doesn't that garbage television show portray Barry as Wally? Don't the masses gulp down whatever shit is put in front of their faces?

He's the Flash. Any costume he wears is a Flash costume.

You're a fucking idiot. Go read DCU Rebirth where Wally tells him that he had an entire life that was wiped away.

Barry didn't remember anything past Wally's life of a Teen Titan. Wally had to tell him everything else. All the stuff that was deleted, INCLUDING HIS CAREER AS THE FLASH, was stuff Barry didn't know.

Barry obviously accepts it because he's a nice guy and isn't going to go "Well I'm The Flash now so pick a new name." But Wally should be the one who decides on a new name.

The only reason he's calling himself The Flash is because of fabricated memories of a time that never happened.

I hope at least with Barry co-opting Wally's more recent characterization, we can have young conservative Wally again.

No, you're the fucking idiot. DC's shitty editorial mandates do not cause books to vanish from existence.

Post-Crisis and up to Flashpoint Jay and Barry both existed on New Earth and both were called The Flash.

After Barry returned all three were called The Flash.

You can't do a live action show on the CW about the fucking successor to a hero who no one knows about. Wally's shit does not work as a standalone story.

It's more Peter Parker than anything. He's neither Barry nor Wally. But the entire origin of The Flash and shit is Barry specific.

I agree that Barry's original incarnation is a bit boring to be popular. So they changed him to be more interesting.

Guess what? They did the same with Wally. Unless you want Wally to go back to going GOLLY GEE FLASH THAT SURE WAS A GREAT SCIENCE LESSON.

Or, I don't know, go back to being a womanizing douchebag.

I never get why people are so obstinate about them tweaking Barry's personality like some great sin but don't remember how Wally wasn't always the character everyone loves. It took a BUNCH of huge changes to make him likable.

Here's the deal: Fuck Barry, Wally should be the only Flash on New Earth.

His memories aren't fucking fabricated the whole point of rebirth is that a lot of pre52 shit(like Wally) has been fucked with by some outside force,it's as much his real history as Rebirth Clark remembers his old world,if your gonna erase all of that might as well just have skipped the whole rebirth plot

Sure. They're just non-canon. Treat them like an elseworld. They never actually happened as it pertains to the current universe.

Wally West isn't also a cowboy who had to kill Barry Allen -- that's not me saying Justice Riders as a comic doesn't exist you dingbat.

There is only one answer, whether you like it or not.

Barry didn't exist Post-Crisis until after Flash Rebirth for a whopping year and a half, dude.

And during that entire run Jay and Wally never showed up outside of very brief cameos.

So not really the best argument.

During Wally's run no one called Jay The Flash. They called him Jay. They only time they called him The Flash was when Wally wasn't around as kind of a nod of respect. Wally West was the Flash, Jay Garrick was Jay Garrick.

That's basically the situation we're in now. Everyone calls Wally by his name. No one's calling him Flash or The Flash, really. That's why I think he needs a new name.

I keep telling you, call him Redshift. Simple, to the point, a nice subtle reference to his powers and his current situation.