Black Panther sucks

Can someone explain to me how this boaring as a shit is selling so well. Is the MCU hype so big that it can make this turd shine?

I don't know anyone who's still buying this. Im REALLY hoping this Coates's run ends soon and it gets someone who can salvage it.

Your welcome

Your opinion isn't the majority, people can like things you don't like.

Coates is actually a big name writer, bigger than most comic ones at least. People might actually like things you don't like. There might be some MCU hype but consider Widow, vision, and all the Hawkeye books sold like shit, it can't be that strong.

The first issue required stores to purchase a ton of issues to get a Poe Dameron variant cover, and Marvel has been overshipping all of their books by a huge amount.

Like Doctor Strange they have a vested interest in keeping BP books high in the charts due to an upcoming movie, so they're using all their tricks to sell it.

BP's dollar amount rank is higher than the unit. It isn't overshipped and it still ranks high on digital.

Are they still really on about the lady who mind controls people? I stopped reading a few issues in.

It didn't tho and BP is a bigger seller than Poe user

its a total snooze fest, he maybe be a great writer but it does not translate well into comic books.

he's shoving his political/ philosophical BS into BP and ruining the mythos and history in the process. He turned a a fictional superpower of the marvel Universe into a third word shit hole. made the title character secondary, and made the BP totally useless. and no one calls BS because he some fancy pants big name writer outside of comics.

>He turned a a fictional superpower of the marvel Universe into a third word shit hole
Didn't that happen during Time Runs Out? I'm pretty sure Thanos and friends fucked it up pretty badly.

only the capital city, same with Namor. and they are still supposed to have super tech to rebuild...
thats like saying if the US Capital was devastated the whole US wold turn to mud huts and rape camps.

Wakanda has a lot of horrifying artifacts of it's former tribal history, at least going by Priest.

I'm pretty sure it just wasn't the capital, all of Wakanda was razed to the ground.

*wasn't just

I stopped reading a few issues in. What the fuck were they thinking by giving this comic to a guy who doesn't write comics? I'd rather have Bendis.

It's easy for people to get into comics when they're already known than the other way around. Take Loeb for instance, he co-wrote Teen Wolf before he started doing comics. I doubt this guy will stick around as long as Loeb did, but a lot of people seem to like his BP comics so far.

Coates never wrote any fiction. He's known for his articles on the Atlantic and non-fiction books.

Still, known names sell. Remember when CM Punk co-wrote that Drax book?

>he maybe be a great writer but it does not translate well into comic books.
That's exactly the case. It is like Warren Ellis writing novels, they're always shit. The two medias ARE NOT the same thing.

"Black Panther" right now is a sad book. You can see what the writer is TRYING to do, but it isn't working. The book is boring and pretentious.

Fucking Aquaman is doing a better job in dealing with a "King of a great nation that has its problems".

World of Wakanda isn't so hot either. It's also suffering from the same problems...but somehow worse.

well the genius's at marvel are giving him more books to fuck up. They must be getting good press for having him around.

Marvel for some reason only hire non comic writers to write BP post Priest. The only time a comic writer has written a BP comic since Priest was Jason Aaron who wrote the best BP since Priest.

They give him more shit because it selling well for them in multiple formats

Its a Marvel trade that seems to sell in bookstores

>boaring

My country is held captive by the clinically retarded and I don't know what to do, because apparently both education and information are a conspiracy.

>made the BP totally useless.

struggling with a few rebels after taking on both Atlantis and skrull invasion with ease

I just want to see a badass African king beat shit up.

Go read Deathstroke. The RED LION shall satisfy your urges.

>tfw Marvel offered Priest BP again but he refused
Rucka should have done that too desu. Priest being back on BP would be interesting to see how he does it now that he's a household name

I don't think it's bad, it's just horrifically slow by comic standards. Coates should have had a co-writer to help him out.

Yeah, Priest's Wakanda had divides between the urban and rural populations and between tribes/cults. The one thing that unified them all was the belief that everyone outside of Wakanda can go get fucked.

>It is like Warren Ellis writing novels, they're always shit.
I actually liked Gun Machine, tho.

It's not even about T'Challa, so I can only assume those people like Coates' boring writing. And that's fine I guess

Priest wouldn't go back to BP if Kirby came down from the heavens and begged him for it.

eh he said he wants to do prose BP stuff

The only reason why he didn't do it was because he doesn't want to be compared to his old shit

>a lot of people seem to like his BP
I haven't heard one person say anything positive about it. In fact, all I've heard is people complaining about how Black Panther isn't in it.

Priest's wakanda was also fairly horrific. I was portrayed as such. As it's the only state a place like wakanda could be portrayed. A perfect paradise that's a first world paradise next to the 3rd world shitholes is impossible to portray as anything but morally decent.

>Coates never wrote any fiction.
lol his entire MUH BLACKNESS bullshit is fiction.

>Coates is actually a big name writer,
No.

Do you only browse Sup Forums? Every other forum is positive about it.

Like Champions or Miles?

Yeah, I don't give a fuck what Disney shills are paid to post on other sites.

>Yeah, I don't give a fuck what Disney shills are paid to post on other sites.

>everyone who disagrees with me is paid off

why dos Yang do New Super-Man so much fucking better?

Coates writes novels, not comics.

I rather like it, but then I am an Iron Man fan, so I might be somewhat desensitized at this point - my expectations lowered a bit.

I don't dislike it, but it's not what I want a modern Black Panther comic to be.

Priest was Marvel realpolitik.
Hickman was Gods and Kings.
Ewing is superscience adventure.
These are all good.

Liss took the most dangerous man on Earth and turned him into a rooftop vigilante.
Hudlin was headline-grabbing pablum.
These were bad. Or at least, not my T'Challa.

Coates is somewhere in the middle. The story is well written and he's hitting hard on the core concepts of the character and how they really don't work in a modern civilized country. It's just kinda boring, but you can see that it's a slow-burn story arc. Too much time spent on side-characters philosophizing and not enough of Black Panther being the most dangerous and well prepared man in the Marvel Universe. I'll probably still buy it in trade.

the review are never about how fun or good a comic it is. its a just pretentious circle jerk about how this amazing writer is "elevating" comic books.

>ruining the mythos and history
Not... really? He's added to it in spades without compromising anything.
>He turned a a fictional superpower of the marvel Universe into a third word shit hole.
AvX, Doomwar & Hickman did that. If anything he deserves praise for not looking down his nose at continuity and ignoring consequences.
>made the title character secondary
You say this NOW? After the last ongoing had Shuri on every cover?
>and made the BP totally useless
How can you be a Pantherfag and not understand the art of Keikaku?

It grew on me.
After the first 5 or so issues I had enough investment in the characters and understanding of the situation to genuinely enjoy it. Of course the catch-22 is sticking with it that long.

Wakanda's maybe a thousandth the size of 'Murica user.
The capital's also the center of Wakanda's technology, economy and social order. When it gets bodied, it affects the whole nation. Never mind when it gets bodied THRICE. Like implied, it keeps the villages in line. Not even a Priest-exclusive thing, McGregor's Jungle Action (from which Priest took much inspiration) painted the majority of the country as standard pulpy African fare. Straw huts, stone temples, striking vistas etc.

If what's on the page is anything to go by he's clearly read & remembered more comics than Bendis. :^)
Granted he has pluses Coates doesn't. I'd put them on a level playing field at the least.

>It is like Warren Ellis writing novels, they're always shit
Hey, go fuck yourself.
Crooked Little Vein is kino.

Not even the same writer funnily enough.
>The Crew
Fucked on arrival.

There's always Ultimates.

there's people on Sup Forums saying this about every Marvel book yet it clearly isn't true

He's a background character in that

>tfw I enjoyed both of those
Seriously, Hudlin's ain't as good as Priest's by a long shot but people REALLY oversell how bad it is. I swear some even make shit up.

That's because Arthur is cooler than T'Challa unless you're a casual.

Only a Aquamanfag (lol) would believe this

Posted too soon:
>Coates is somewhere in the middle.
I'm enjoying Coates too but this helps contextualize the hate a lot. I like Hudlin because it was stupid colorful fun, he couldn't top Priest so offered an alternative. S'a good contrast. I've seen comic fans (on other sites, obviously) that praise Hudlin and hate Priest; they're opposite extremes that appeal to opposite mindsets. Saying something's in the middle is... honestly pretty damning. Like you said, "It's just kinda boring".

I was gonna post a "look at him and laugh" image but you'r right: when it comes to general DC, I am rather casual.
Sell me on his character, user. What makes him so great?

Only a Pantherfag (lol) would believe otherwise

> modern civilized country.

>mud huts
>ground well + bucket

>rapecamp

Not him but it really helps that Atlantis isn't the mary suetopia that Wakanda is, especially under Coates and non-redpilled writers (unlike Priest).

Arthur's problems with his own people and family are also more defined than shit like Man-Ape lol. Finally he is married to the best girl in capeshit.

Casual detected Wakanda was never a mary sue country.

Not that guy but Aquamarine tends to bore me in comics, barring stories with Black Manta.

Like AM is analogous to BP but Atlantis is removed enough from reality to feel like standard fantasy fare rather than Wakanda which is fantastical but stretches my suspension of disbelief less. Also Wakandas feel more like real people than Atlantians, mostly because they are bigger dicks and more selfish.

kekekeke

A comic doesn't HAVE to be "fun" to be good.

This is clearly not your type of book whether it's good or not, and since Black Panther has had a political slant to it for decades now, I'd assume it never has been your type of book.

If all you want is fun and exciting, you're welcome to go read something else.

He is blonde.

Marvel has Namor for that tho.
AND Inhumans.

Well, I like Namor about even with Aquaman since I think Atlanteans as assholes is a valid interpretation as well

>Liss took the most dangerous man on Earth and turned him into a rooftop vigilante.
I don't blame Liss writing what was obviously mandated by editorial. He made him into poorman's Batman with makeshift tech forced to protect Hell's Kitchen. It wasn't bad, it was an average Batman story.

Typical ADHD Marvel babby, there's plenty of other slowpaced, but still fun as hell books out there, like Wonder Woman. Stick to shit lile Civil War II and the latest Spiderman shit.

you literally can't be a mary sue and be shit people like that

>hownew.ru

When did T'Challa fight Morlun?

He didn't. In Hudlin's last arc he just used Morlun to kill off T'challa's supporting cast that his hack ass didn't create

Wrong on 2/3 accounts.
See? Hudlin hate's overstated.
The last BP ongoing. The 12-issue one that was mainly about Shuri and ended in DoomWar. Might've been by Liss.
The first arc was about Morlun swoocing on in to suck out his sweet sweet animal symbolism. He killed Man-Ape along the way and, yes, two or three supporting characters (Zuri being one of them, so yeah, fuck that arc).
T'Challa was in a coma at some point, learned magic and sicked Death on him.

Whelp, slap my ass and call me a casual. Turns out that first arc was indeed Hudlin.
How embarrassing. My apologies, user.
And fuck him for killing Zuri.

>Wakandas feel more like real people than Atlantians, mostly because they are bigger dicks and more selfish.

This is why I liked Wakanda before Coates shit. They were powerfully technology advances, but xenaphobic assholes. That being b why no one wanted to help them against the onslaught of war with Doom, Phoenix Namor, and Black order.

A good story would have been to show the drama of a reluctant king trying to open Wakanda to the world rather than this pretentious smarter than you bullshit.

>This is why I liked Wakanda before Coates shit.
Funnily enough I consider that one of this run's strengths. He shows that they're people instead of paragons.
Explicitly, too. Nothing pretentious or smarter-than-you about it.

Majority of Critics? They love the fuck out of it.

Majority of comic book fans? Up for debate.

But the question, of the people who buy and like it, what do they see in it? It's clearly selling enough to have it's audience.

And I haven't seen anyone here who likes it enough go full fanboy, and that's somewhat telling.

I gave up after issue 3 because of how stiff it was, maybe revisit it after it's in trades.

>This is clearly not your type of book

Your totally right. Forgettable, boring and unenjoyable comics are deffinatly not for me.

>And I haven't seen anyone here who likes it enough go full fanboy, and that's somewhat telling

I really think it's getting a major pass because Coates is such a big name outside of comics.

When did Namor have to deal with realpolitik?

All he does is cry "IMPERIOUS REX!!!1!" every now and then.