Where did the clone wars succeed where the prequels failed?

Where did the clone wars succeed where the prequels failed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where did the clone wars series succeed where the rebels series failed?

I dont know i havent watched rebels

Mostly well developed characters and because it was a television show it was able to go more in depth at the lore and main plot and go over stuff the the movies just brush over without much thought from the actual politics to the ethics of actually growing clones to die for you.

Developed Anakin's character and showed us a believable turn to the Dark Side.

While it could have been done in the films, that's the advantage of television. You have a lot more time to get to know a character.

are there people who actually liked THE clone wars, rather than genndy's clone wars, which was actually good?

Why can't someone like both?

Reminder that Star Trek had a better clone wars

Yes, people who actually like stories and not constant fight scenes

I like genndy wars though

People born after 1997 or so simply wouldn't know about it without being huge nerds.

clone wars actually made us care about its characters

Orange midriff.

One of the biggest problems with the prequels is the pants-on-head retarded idea of making the first movie about kid Anakin and then trying to do his whole fall from grace in the last one.

If you drop the Phantom Menace's plotline entirely, and then take Revenge of the Sith, modify it so it isn't shit, combine it with some elements of Clone Wars and then stretch that over three movies, you've got yourself a pretty solid trilogy.

To be fair, the second one does have him slaughtering a tribe of Tusken Raiders, women and children too.

Anakin's motivation didn't entirely revolve around Padme, and he didn't sound like a whiny bitch all the time.

I liked the idea of seeing the old Republic before the Clone Wars. A lot of talented people brought Coruscant, Mos Espa, The Trade Federation and Naboo to life and filled it with a lot of cool creatures and droids.

All which was squandered and wasted by George Lucas.

But hey, seeing the worlds that these artists created is still nice, up until the dialogue starts.

It didn't succeed where the prequels failed, it merely filled in some considerable gaps that the prequels left behind.

So in other words, do the adaption of Revenge of the Sith that Clone Wars was going to do before it got cancelled.

orange butt cheeks

Basically the mistake was not starting the prequels at the start of or during the Clone Wars.

War is a believable place for a character to grow darker organically because of actual tangible events the audience can latch on to, have Palpatine do his thing but to a backdrop more damaging than "chat at the bubble opera" about his pregnant wife. Also Anakin's fall should be important but not the main focus because we already know how it ends.

The prequels should probably have focused on Obi Wan as we didn't actually know much about his life pre-ANH other than he was a Jedi and fought with Anakin during the Clone Wars, his story still held some suspense and tension.

I dunno man, there's endless ways the Prequels could be improved, basically anything other than what we ended up getting might be better.

>I dunno man, there's endless ways the Prequels could be improved, basically anything other than what we ended up getting might be better.

It's amazing how Lucas took the phrase "The Clone Wars" and then made possibly the least interesting version of what that could mean.

>lets watch an army of droids with no personality vs an army of clones with no personality

Genndy Wars was too short and completely over the top. It didn't fit the style of Star Wars.

Character interaction, mostly.
>tfw Siege of Mandalore never

>Maul and Dooku never got to fight I'm I'm still sad

Art direction.
It is a little weird looking at first, but it really does help give the show an identity.

Because it turned out far better, and far more Sci Fi than any more fantastic example.

The PT set such low standards for everything involving story, character, dialog and tone almost anything could be an improvement.
If you want to see why the prequles where so bad, just watch Mr. Plinketts reviews.
youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
(By the way Has Mr Plinkett ever commented on The Clone Wars, movie and TV series.)

But I digress...

Lucas was still there but not calling the shots for everything the way he had been during the last three movies. He made sure it was constant with his "vision", but gave his people a lot more room to explore. Thats why Obi-Wan has a good dry sense of humor instead of stuffy and dull, Anakin is intuitive and resourceful instead of reckless and whiny.

Also, focusing on the Clones themselves gave the series an interesting and different point of view from the usual "band of motley hero's" that Star Wars had used up to that point.

We actually saw the relationship between Anakin and Obi wan, instead of it being all offscreen like in the prequels. The "he was a good friend" line that Obi has in a new hope actually feels earned now.

The clone troopers are amazing.

They're amazing in anything that isn't the movies which is what 90% of the general public was only going to see at that time.

Try to find five people on the street who saw the prequel trilogy and also, like, played Republic Commando or even watched Genndy Wars as a kid

This.
Seriously, story wise can anyone tell me what was the point of Phantom Menace even existing?

>>lets watch an army of droids with no personality vs an army of clones with no personality
The tv show also fixed this though.

It was basically Samurai Jack with Jedi, rather than being a Star Wars story.

The assumption at around the time of the original movies was that the clones were the evil army that the Republic fought against.

To establish that the downfall of the republic was tangentially a result of taxation of trade routes being in dispute.

Episode 1
>Obi-wan main Character. Anakin and Obi-wan are both Knights.
>Movie Covers the start of the Clone Wars. Clones are the villains and are totally non-stormtrooper like.
>Anakin is one of the few Jedi openly calling for the Republic to form a united military force before hostilities break out with the Clones.
>Jedi Council uses a Veto to block militarisation until the eve of hostilities.

Episode 2
>During the War. Jedi continue advocating peace.
>Republic loses out in early conflict due to not having a military force.
>Anakin leading from the front, while most Jedi take Staff positions rather than front line leadership.
>Anakin has already lost a leg and wears white combat armour.
>Movie ends with Anakin being formally expelled from the Jedi order for his continued public criticism of the Jedi, using the excuse of a love affair with a senator.
>Obi-Wan one of the few friends Anakin has within the Order. Decides to remain within the order rather than leave with Anakin, which upsets Anakin.

Episode 3
>Anakin has scared eye, missing both legs and one arm.
>Republic slowly pushing Clones back. Fully militarised in all aspects of society.
>Clones make several peace bids, but Palpatine, the Chancellor, refuses.
>Jedi Popularity at all time low, Jedi Council decides to remove Palpatine as Chancellor.
>Anakin vs Jedi Council fight in the Senate. Anakin has a lot of combat experience, the Council more diplomats and negotiators. Anakin Shreds the council.
>Obi-Wan flees, taking the children of Anakin with him.
>Anakin is injured in the Penultimate sequence, possible space exposure, needing mask.
>Ends with Republic forces launching orbital bombardment of Clone homeworld.

To flesh out a slightly-less war-torn galaxy, I'm guessing? CIS felt pretty small-time in that movie and not yet imposing, not until the Clones need to be brought in.

Also pod-racing and its game-adaptations were a decent gift to this world.

Who is best clone aand why is it Rex?

The Jedi had no personality either. They were just "the good guys". At least the rebels had that scrappy underdog feel.
The Clone Wars didn't help either. They got some personality but it was inconsistent and really just made them seem like normal dudes. Not warrior monks from space, just some guys.

Incidentally I believe Gendy's clone wars represented the Jedi the best. The lack of dialogue gave it a mythical feel more fitting for Star Wars.

See, I didn't like his Jedi at all. They were all too powerful. They were never one man armies in the original trilogy, but in Genndy's cartoon they could take on hundreds of opponents at once without breaking a sweat. Genndy's Jedi would've never been taken by surprise by Order 66, they would've realized something was up instantly and gone on to slaughter the clones before going into hiding.

It was too heavy on the mythic, too light on the mystic.

That's a valid complaint. I like it because even though they lean "too heavy on the mythic, too light on the mystic" as you say. They at least had one of those things which were lacking entirely in other parts of the franchise.

Except for Qui Gon. He had both of those things in decent balance and was pretty great.

During the Gennedy series.
When it transitioned to CGI it promptly became much worse than the Prequels.

Luckily we now have REBELS and Didney Wars sequels which make CGI Wars look like a godsend in comparison.

Qui-Gon was wasted, I think everyone agrees on that.

He absolutely was, and so was Maul. He was the perfect counterpoint to Vader.