>2049
>No cure for blindness

But why?

inb4 muh eye motif

He can see through drones but no robotic eye

I'd say those robotic things are pretty much a cure

They can make replicants but they can't make replacement eyes? This is being different just for the sake of it.

pretty good point actually. Wasnt there even an Eyeworks store in the first movie?

The implication is that he's quirky and weird and prefers the control he can exert through multiple drones which can see from various angles, rather than his two, human eyes.

It's supposed to be an improvement on human vision.

This

Yes there is a guy in the first one whose job it is to create artificial eyes.

So, muh eye motif.

Literally a guys only job in the first one was to make eyes. This character is a pretentious bitch

That's how I saw it. Wallace saw himself as something beyond human.

His modular app chips WERE the cure. Why have basic bitch eyes when you can see through a squadron of drones?

I mean, overall there seems to be a lack of body augmentations in the Blade Runner universe.

>be blind in 2049
>two choices
>two brand new eyes that are basically identical to regular human eyes

OR

>an implant that gives you sight through multiple different angles, allowing you to have complete vision of your surroundings

HMMM WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Why not both? Couldn't a person with vision make use of those eye-drones?

I'd imagine he also have completely clear vision with zoom-in and all kinds of other crazy options. But no, the edgelords here will chose to have normal human eyes that degrade because they don't want to be pretentious.

Blade of light - Cut through darkness
Blade of light - Brighten the black
Blade of light - Cure for blindness
Blade of light - Open the path

so why not have both lol, its just stupid and no explanation will ever excuse it

yea he can only either have normal human eyes or this...

>it's just stupid
Just because you can't understand something completely or you are too lazy to think about it and want people to spoon-feed you an explanation doesn't make it stupid.

You are right those aren't the reasons why its stupid

>Choose being blind some of the time for apparently no reason
BRshills won't admit this was kind of dumb.

>you just don't GET why someone would choose to be blind some of the time

Ok spoon-feeding time. The blindness is part of his character, like it or not. The bad part about his character is that the filmmakers decided to make him more mysterious by leaving his backstory unknown and he has few scenes in the movie. The blindness is a way to portray that Wallace has dealt with human imperfection in a very personal way, aka he's been through tough shit. That is the reason he has his motivation for creating perfect replicates and has a god-complex that has formed later. Also you have to look to the real world for the explanation why he doesn't want his eyes fixed. There are people with disabilities, not just blindness, that see their way of living as part of who they are and willingly stay with that disability. Maybe there aren't many, but they do exist.

>circa 2000
>no cure for baldness or imperfect vision

but why?

inb4 muh eye motif

But the movie showed how far he would go for perfection. What kind of god is okay with being blind?

>so why not have both lol

Because he's a fucking weirdo, he thinks being blind makes him look like a badass space-God and when he needs to see he has the tech

Your fucking point is? We didn't have artificial humans in 2000

you contradict yourself like 3 times buddy

We pretty much do

when does he say that?

>What kind of god is okay with being blind?
We are going into the philosophical realm here. It's up for debate.
Fun fact - Leto was blind during the shooting of the scenes. Those cataracts on his eyes are solid contact lenses.

Its in the directors cut

what kind of god is ok with going down on earth as a carpenter only to be stabbed to death lol

>What kind of god is okay with being blind?

What kind of God would care?

At least Jesus wasn't blind.

I'm waiting for you to point out those contradictions otherwise my points still stand, guy.

>Why not both?

What's the point? Having two functioning human eyes on top of already having an implant that lets you literally see everything is redundant.

It'd be like buying a graphics card that's 5 years old, when you already have the most current gen graphics card on your computer. It's an inferior product.

It could have been self inflicted. They never get into how he became blind. My guess is that he wanted to see from several perspectives via the min drones. The Leto acted the character was far more distracting than the fact that he was blind.

Also imagine being able to experience true darkness once in a while. It's very calming. How many people can say they don't see any source of light when they go to sleep? Unless you live in some village or in a fucking literal basement or dungeon. People living in the city don't have that luxury.

oh yea I forgot about that scene where wallace is trying to sleep in his apartment but the city lights were too bright

you can see all the time normally and then in multiple directions when you need to? I don't understand how that isn't obvious

what bothered me about Wallace was how the head of a multi-billion multinational that improved on human clones looks about 35

Really feels like his character was getting saved for a sequel. Now if that only happens.

Obviously mind drones were the cure

What did he mean by this?

He made a quip about how some people are born and conditioned into the mindset of a slave without even realizing it. Never questioning anything they go around their day, doing their menial jobs, watching the entertainment specifically designed for their demographics. They propagate the very system that enslaves them and even defend it if the need arises. Truly autonomous biological machines.

Because you can still do that with the implant.

2deep

>what bothered me about Wallace was how the head of a multi-billion multinational that improved on human clones looks about 35
I don't understand, are you saying he's too young or too old? I'd say he's perfect age for his character, an enigmatic genius that has experience.

Even if you had eyes floating all around the room, Jarred Leto himself will be bumping into shit and getting desorianted, surely?

drone vision is a cool concept, but there's literally no reason not to pop a couple of robo-eyes into your noggin to make life better in every way.

Too young. I think it takes way more time to establish that kind of influence and wealth. Not even talking about the scientific discoveries.

haha yeah he should be like 60 or something.

Blade Runner is obsessed with eyes. It's attached with "being human" It wanted to paint Wallace as something non-human, since even his replicants wanted to have souls. He was the opposite.

There's this new invention called curtains, you dummy.

so muh motifs huh

Zuckerberg coded a website from his dorm. Wallace improved on human fucking cloning. Those two aren't even remotely comparable.

>"i just got a new way to see that's an improvement over natural human ability by magnitudes"

>"LOLOL BUT THAT'S FUCKING RETARDED!!!!! ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FUTURE??????"

This is how dumb you are.

Yes, but Wallace is pretentious enough to actually pull something like this.

>alternative history 30 years into the future
>they've had humanoid manufacturing for at least 30 years in that timeline
maybe he made a replicant in his garage in highschool

That's mostly on Leto, who's ten years older than he looks anyway.
That said, Denis wanted David Bowie, but Bowie was too busy writing his own eulogy to act.

Those drones and God only knows what other mods in those boxes were are almost without question superior to biological eyes.

Curtains don't absorb light, just block some of it partially. I know that because I have them. I'm talking about true darkness, when you can't differentiate between your eyes being closed and open.

I think it's more of a choice

This is a good observation also. Despite technological and biological advancement, humans seem to tend not aug, if at all

>I'm blind
>I know, I'll create new eyes, better eyes
>but I'll make them activated by some stupid bluetooth dongle thing and leave that in the posession of replicant, leaving myself at the mercy of an unstable killing machine because that's good story telling

fuck this retarded shit, I'm not even convinced he's blind, just that the robotic eyes are able to do better dimensional imaging with various wavelengths better than any artificial eye could, and he still uses his eyes like a normal person. any other explanation is fucking RETARDED

>subtext is obvious
>"but its not told me in writing or out loud so it's not confirmed"
>*crosses arms smugly*

>unstable killing machine
They are his angels user, he has perfect control and total confidence in them. Go watch Nexus Dawn.

buy a proper sleeping mask. those things are great

I bet in the eighties they thought we'd be able to cure blindness in 2017

Yeah we are missing the point here.

We are nearly there imagine that. Operations can cure people with near blindness, remove cataracts, what have you.

maybe he can't have both and the drones are linked exclusively to his optic nerves?

We could do that in the 80s too though

>unstable killing machine
She was very fucking stable and did absolutely nothing to him. She was fucking furious specifically because she couldn't break out of control.
Did you even see Nexus Dawn?

Yes but who says they can connect them to an existing human brain?

>He can see
You didn't watch the scene of him acting like a blind person trying to touch the new replicant model. People with vision don't touch things like a Seal trying to peel a banan.

Was it ever established that humans can use replicant parts?

>Has eye drones that can see a body in 360 degrees
>but why

Because he can check out a girls milkies and her ass at the same time why else?

You would think human augmentation would come before human clones, which is basically what replicants are.

If you think a girl would ever hook up with a dude with drone eyes you are literally /r9k/ incarnate.

I don't think it ever was. Theoretically it should be possible considering replicants are just genetically engineered humans.

I took Wallace's decision to be, among other reasons listed here, a product of his public image. The guy was a legend who effectively saved the human race with his company. Consumers saw him as a blind man, so he let them keep a blind man.

Oh man I just thought they were replicant eyes

>You would think human augmentation would come before human clones, which is basically what replicants are.
>there are people who still unironically think that replicants are robots

clones=/=robots

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just realizing that people out there don't fucking understand this after watching the movie.
The goddamned opening crawl made this clear.

That dude has millions of them so it's ok.

Genetic augmentation, user. Not mechanical.

see . The realization hit me, that's all. We're on the same page.