Okay so

okay so.

i knew this comic existed but i never payed any attention to it.

i heard it ended and stuff.

i started reading it yesterday and i just got to [S] Descend.

holy fucking shit this is so fucking awesome.

the story just keeps getting cooler.

the big epic story dumps in the animations are jaw dropping in terms of story progression.

i now see why everybody likes it so much.

can we have a thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6redB3Xev14&t=306s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop while your ahead

but i want to see what happens next.

jack noir is interesting as fuck.

and i want to see more of daves bro doing sick ass ninja stuff.

just stop. it gets far worse than whatever you're imagining. I wish I stopped at act 4 so I had pleasant memories of it.

i just finished act 4.

what im imagining is the cosmic level action and worldbuilding ramped up to 11 and a confrontation with a legitimately dangerous villain.

i dont see anywhere else for it to go.

You're good as long as you follow the guide.

im starting to get a feeling things dont go well.

Do you want the long explanation, or a greentext one?

ill just keep reading and create a thread when shit gets fucked.

i got to the part with the trolls.

theyre alright i guess. theres too many of them and i only really like a handfull. the rest annoy me.

karkats cool.

>karkats cool.

rare andrew hussie interview 5:06
youtube.com/watch?v=6redB3Xev14&t=306s
>I just keep interaction with the readership pretty lively.

>PBS digital studios
ULYSSES

Man, I read Homestuck up to the trolls and really enjoyed it, but after that it was just a slog and I gave up almost immediately

I need to get back to this. I read a bit after the giga-pause but fell of it. I wasn't disliking it any more than before, but getting back into the habit of reading updates just didn't happen. I'm close enough to the end that I might as well blast through it someday.

okay, this part with the trolls started out alright.

karkat, terezi, and the juggalo were neat, and bara bill, fashion lady, and tavros were also endearing, but the furry embodies everything i hate about internet fandom and vriska is a huge unlikeable bitch.

also the 16 page explanation of troll romance is the most navel gazing horseshit i have ever read and aquaman and aquawoman are boring me out of my skull. ive started thumbing through pages as fast as i can.

at this point i can safely say i want several characters to fall into a fire so that the fucking plot can resume.

if this whole thing were just the midnight crew tearing shit up in a sequel to problem sleuth id be all over it, but this is becoming a slog. if i have to read one more wall of text where every character is typing in some WAc6y hard to read way im going to go apeshit.

wheres john. i miss john.

this is like the star wars expanded universe.

>giga-pause but fell of it. I wasn't disliking it any more than before, but getting back into the habit of reading updates just didn't happen. I'm close enough to the end that I might as well blast through it someday.
don't. if you read to the huge retcon you read too much

>wheres john. i miss john.
act 5.2. don't worry they will skip to the end soon

but act 5 was the best the good far outweiged the bad

That guide is a good way to miss the best character in the entire comic although he was technically already there

> "You know when you see a train coming from a couple thousand yards away, and you see a couple having a picnic on the tracks; and they're just out of earshot so you can't warn them; and they're deaf, and blind, and they can't feel the rumbling?"

I think that quote more or less sums up this entire thread...

Don't worry, OP. Vriska is the 8est and you will never 8e disappointed with her!

>Bara Bill
Is that supposed to be Equius?

You'll also miss Terezi screwing with John throughout the timeline which is honestly still one of my favorite parts of Homestuck despite what it resulted in.

Yes.

I'm done for tonight. I'll read more tomorrow night.

I'm not yet convinced that all is lost.

[s] descend and [s] jack: ascend were both so staggeringly awesome that I still have hope.

If I eat this pile of packing peanuts that constitutes all this troll business, then maybe hussie will let me have more super spicy jack noir hot dogs.

Honestly, That Certain Character TM is a product of how shitty the comic became. As amazing as he is, he isn't worth the rest.

There's really no way to "despite" that. It's ruined by association.

>If I eat this pile of packing peanuts that constitutes [any part of the comic], they maybe hussie will let me have more super spicy [better, earlier part of the comic] hot dogs

Welcome to Homestuck

PS: OP, did you notice the hands and oil?

In all seriousness I would weigh him as he is evenly against the absolute incredible potential of the first 5 acts. That is to say, he is so good that he NEARLY makes up for Act 6 singlehandedly.

I recommend Act 6 but do not recommend finishing it. The... I want to say second time you go "that's too fucking stupid, why is this happening", bail out. Stick through the extremely colorful stupid bit. You'll know it. Give up when you hit Game Over and make your own ending.

You may like where it goes in which case you're lucky. You're now in Act 5 so you should be seeing if you'll like it going forward. I do agree. Early Homestuck is incredible.

>its a 'someone pretends to be a new reader' thread

>theres too many of them and i only really like a handfull. the rest annoy me
It begins

>john slowly going from looking forward to this, to having a look of absolute disgust as he honks a horn
still makes me laugh

On my next read through, I stopped at game over and thought about a universe where game over does kill everyone, and in the dreambubbles they can confront and fix their flaws and face the final battle against english

While the stuff following it is terrible, the actual sequence itself is great and probably one of the better parts of the comic post giga-pause. Although even ignoring how monumentally shitty the results were, it still annoys me that all that shit with Gamzee still happened-especially his fight with Equius-even though they had a perfect opportunity to stop it.

Keep going. Watch Cascade. Decide if you're okay with things the way they are or if you want to continue after that. That's the climax of the story imo.

they couldn't save anyone,tavros needed to be fused with a cat, and nepeta with a dave

Just let us have this, user.

>when OP actually believes Homestuck is an adventure comic
>when OP actually believes that Karkat is a cool character who cares for his friends and is on the same level like Vegeta and Bass

This sounds sad.

Me too, that and the Egbert punch are the best parts of the whole thing.

alright that is fucking it. I feel like this should be a must read for me but I like procrastinating way much and I have other games and cartoons to watch but this feels as though fate itself was shoving it in my face repeatedly.

someone post a link to the first page for me so I can move upwards from there because I'm a lazy asshole please.

mspaintadventures.com

Karkats a grumpy dick, but in an endearing way.
I think him, John, jack noir, and daves bro are my favorite characters so far.

KARKAT IS SHIIIIIIIIT

That was retarded bullshit that didn't need to happen and you know it. But I suppose we're getting pretty close to spoiler territory so I'll stop here.

I was being sarcastic user. I know that was Complete Bullshit In Every Way

Keep reading until you can't anymore. Lots of people argue where it gets shit, but there is no "real" answer.

People love Homestuck for so many different reasons and Hussie starts to abandon different elements in his comic every act as the story goes on, which alienates fans who loved those elements.

Like the focus on the main kid exploring a dangerous and mysterious game (literally and conceptually) and the audience playing with the author, Andrew, himself as he toys with the audience's expectations in creative and interesting ways.
That gets shoved in the back for exploring the relationships of the many characters and how the game forces the best and worst out of these characters, their own personal growth as people and how such an important responsibility can go so fucking wrong when left in the hand of hormone driven teenagers.
THAT then gets shoved in the back to explore what exactly the purpose is for these characters since it is revealed Sburb was more or less a huge waste of fucking time. The characters and their relationships are flanderized in favor of getting to a point where the characters as a whole are just trying to find a point to all their endless shenangians and secure a better future for themselves.

and then THAT gets set back to try and beat a big bad boss that was never really much of a threat to them personally and now for some reason all of their existence has rested on beating this big bad

and then that gets thrown out for... Hiveswap development.

thanks a lot, user. I'll never forget you.

and the entire time, hussie goes from old "playing basketball with a welfare check" hussie to new "boy am i glad my girlfriend is from tumblr and has creative control of the comic" hussie

What if Vriska was autistic?

but she is

I wonder how long before that memory is a bitter one?

what is the point of this character?

Walking plot device.

>jack noir is interesting as fuck
Why did you have to remind me of those times

When Jack was great

I am so sorry

>but at least andrew hussie destroyed his entire ‘’’franchise’’’ trying to orient to teens who are really just college students a lot of the time. and why exactly are you trying to engage with teens. is diaper andrew up next. shmorked

i just thought this section of my post was good. thank U

>hey Jamal I got an idea, you put on this costume and tear shit up as a black woman
>DAMN WHITE WIMMINZ
>this is so tucking racist

Team special olympics was too good for this world

Am I the only one on the face of this site who enjoyed the ending?

Someone redpill me on this
Hard mode: No easy insults, e.g. "It was shit" or "you have shit taste" or "andrew hussie fucked up"

I want to hear an actual analysis on what's wrong with it.

You can find a million analyses on exactly why it was shit with a simple google.

But the bottom line is that I can only assume you started reading Homestuck after it ended, and didn't have a million expectations that were all shattered.

The absolute core pillar of Homestuck's appeal as a work of fiction was how expertly its plot and world was constructed to be some sort of huge puzzle, filled with foreshadowing and a tangled web of causes and effects involving time travel and tons of plot threads, which all came together to form a cohesive whole, and how it all fit together was periodically revealed to the audience in pivotal crowd-pleasing aha-moments, usually at the end of the act - this is where all the hardcore fans who had picked up on all the foreshadowing could get their batshit theories confirmed, or subverted and turned on their heads in equally satisfying twists.

But then the ending came, and this time, there was no twist, and no reveal. It just ended in the most boring and straightforward way possible, and all the plot threads were left dangling, all the clues we had about the ending that was meant to be were just thrown away, most of the character arcs were cut short.

There's still hope that the epilogue will fix things, but for now, Homestuck is another case of "epic video game story that ends as an unfinished mess", which seems to be a big trend recently. See also: MGSV, FFXV, Mass Effect 3.

Being my first and only waifu

The only way I can describe it is this:
The ending was ok, if it had been the ending to the comic pre- the act 6 we got
But it was the ending post act 6 we got, and therefore made 0 sense, the pacing was wrong, and it didnt tie up anything correctly, it was a bad ending for the act 6 we got because in the end, act 6 could have just not happened and spared us a lot of bullshit, time wasting, and all around unpleasantness, but we didnt, we still had to read that train-wreck and by the time everyone was reading the ending, it just wasnt worth it

So who is going to make an actual homestuck "abridged"/real reading guide/edit (read: cutting down on the pages) so that the story actually is ok?
Is there any amount of editing that could fix it?

Op here.

I've finally got through the trolls section and finished act 5.

The trolls actually don't bother me that much anymore.

Don't get me wrong, reading all that shit again is an unpleasant prospect, but the idea of a neighboring sburb session that went through hell to progress and only barely killed the final boss only to get fucked over at the win screen is interesting.

All in all, I see what they add to the story, but making me read all that explanation for who they are and how they got to the asteroid was dumb, even if I understand why.

Hey though, now we can get back to business as usual.

Do Vriska fans exist?

I kinda miss the more spooky aspects of HS like Sollux finding the code to the destruction of the universe early in the game. Or Jack's presence.

Don't listen to the faggots here. Seriously.

Just read on your own, get your own opinion of it. It's literally a fucking meme to shit all over the later acts. Just get your own opinion on it first instead of letting /hsg/ force you to go into it with a "lol this is so garbage" attitude.

My opinion on it was that yes it wasn't as good later on, but no where near as bad as people here make it seem.

But don't take my word on it. Read it yourself through and just take it naturally.

Like Karkat or Dave fans, they do, but they like them for what they were, not what they are.

>now back to business as usual

Oh

Oh young childe

What pains await thee

What is Vriska holding?

If anything people are being too kind on the comic

karkat is love, karkat is life

Cohen's writing ability, evidently.

keep going, op. This next act is pretty dense but just as interesting if not more so then the first 4. I'm liking this thread, it's, dare I say...comfy.

act 5 act 2 is good though. It's literally golden age homestuck

>Is there any amount of editing that could fix it?

Not unless you went completely off the rails and essentially rewrote everything after Game Over. There's no real way to get around the ending without tons of ridiculous convoluted bullshit. Granted this is Homestuck and convoluted bullshit is its stock and trade but unless a time traveling version of old Hussie shows up I don't think anyone would really be able to do it right.

Sure, all you have to do is ignore the entirety of Act 6, the exact same thing you need to do in order to like any character that isn't John or Caliborn. Before that she was great.

Your opinion is incorrect. Get a more correct opinion.

Soon.

Yeah, it had some of the best bits in the comic, and the best art, and ended with Cascade.

>after game over
You mean the retcon

Caliborn's masterpiece is good but I could do without the johnroxy and johnrezi shit

Homestuck is still salvageable, but only by adding even more to it, not by cutting it down. The ending needs to be massively expanded.

This could still happen.

Homestuck isn't worth that, just move on. Everything up to Act 6 is pretty good to fucking incredible, just enjoy the comic for what it was.

>johnroxy and johnrezi shit
What? Like, all five lines of dialogue that got abandoned in the post-game/epilogue/whatever the hell that was? I don't like those ships either but they were barely even there.

Johnrezi is post-retcon

Stop reading at the end of Act 5. You'll thank us later, trust me. Just come up with your own ending.

everything where John is using his powers to retcon the timeline is pointless if you don't show the result

the plan he comes up with terezi is 100% plot convenience and stupid and arbitrary and dumb, and it should be taken out for the same reasons that post-retcon needs to be taken out

Oh, you mean the retcon, not shipping.

Yeah, everybody thinks the retcon is dumb. Like, it's literally the only thing that everybody in the fandom can agree on. Some people are happy about the ending and how supremely homosexual it was, but it probably could have happened without the retcon, so they still hate the retcon.

>tabletop game i'm in had a retcon
>now it's on hiatus

>holy fucking shit this is so fucking awesome.
Hahahahahahahaha

So how was Act One of Hiveswap? It came out in January, right?

HAHAHA

(Vriska) vs WV vs Ms Paint vs Jake vs Tavros vs Calliope vs Karkat

Rank them in Weenie Powerlevel

Weenie Monarch:
>(Vriska)

Frankenfurter Comptroller:
>Tavros
>Calliope

Hot Dog Receptionist:
>Karkat
>WV

Sausage Panhandler: