How do you feel about anime references in cartoons?

How do you feel about anime references in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XKpQ_FwoPAU
steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/References_in_Steven_Universe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I stopped feeling awhile back.

You should probably see a doctor about that.

They tend not to be very smart or very subtle.

But then again, nothing about that particular show is.

I don't watch anime to even understand this reference OP.

I like references more than the average guy but OP's pic is fucking stupid. It shouldn't get to such a ridiculous level unless it is specifically a spoof/parody comedy show(which I don't think SU is )

It's from that one popular anime that's obscure enough so anime fans can pat themselves on the back for recognizing "homages" to it

Everyone and everyone's dog has seen EoE

Since this is Sup Forums after all...I'm going to guess..Jojo's bizarre adventure?

Not me

youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ

Evangelion is a meme.

I haven't seen it and that's not changing anytime soon.

Only if it's a Jojo reference.

You don't belong on this website and you're breaking the global rule of being younger than 18.

>how do you feel about cartoons making references from other cartoons
I dunno user, how do you feel when movies make references of other movies

nobody shits on the wilhelm scream

(You)

>doesn't like anime enough to see entry-tier anime
>is on a anime imageboard
Fuck off newfag.

(You)

When they're done well I like them.

Most kids aren't gonna know or care about the more obscure. Steven Universe is fine with doing stuff like Eva or Junji Ito references.

Every new animator that comes into the business references the culture they grew up with in some ways. Steven Universe has a lot of it, but I remember South Park references in the original Power Puff Girls. It's kind of a natural progression, you grow up and are inspired by some art form, so you get into that art form professionally and pay homage to what inspired you. Then hopefully what you churn out is good enough to inspire the next guy, and the cycle continues.

Anime references are just like any other references, fine if done well and not used as a substitute for comedy. Keep it to background gags, maybe the protagonist owns a game you played as a kid, or a movie plays on the TV in the background. Stuff like that. Simple, unobtrusive, but those in the know appreciate it.

I find it very dumb, like a battered wife syndrome, Otaku have a rabid hate for Western made stuff, specially cartoons, making "homages" to them is like telling your girlfriend how attractive those other guys are.

So this is why people say cartoon girls are ugly little shits? Why do cartoons even exist if Anime has already all figured it out?

you got two flavors.

A

Every one thinks it's still the 1970s speed racer HAH HAH

B

We ripoff scenes whole for cheap nerd cred "LOOK AT THE REFERENCE"

Neither are very tasteful

>Evangelion
>Obscure
Literally what? You have to be literally underage.

I like them usually. Maybe it'll get some people to check out what they're referencing eventually. Too many kids don't watch the classics.

>You have to be literally underage.
That's why it's obscure now.
We're old

Like I do any other reference: feels good when I know where it comes from, but not much else.

Yes E;R we see you. You post this shit everyday.

I feel like every time I see an Akira reference I should shoot myself.

Pic related isn't a reference so much as it is a parody. The entire episode is based on episode V

This

The only people getting all up in arms about the references are the people who watched anime when they were younger.

>that whole episode that was a scene-for-scene recreation of the animatrix
man, knd was so based

References are fun, but I prefer them more subtle.

It should never feel out of context or weird to someone who doesn't know where it's from.

Like, when MLP originally did a parody of the ending of Star Wars, the scene worked perfectly well on its own and as someone who wasn't all that much into SW, it was simply neat to find out about it later.
But then when they later get Fluttershy to try and scare her friends by hanging carboard cutouts of 90s anime, the scene does not really make any sense whatsoever unless you see it as the shameless anime shoutout that it is... It sucks because it's the Halloween episode and as such, you also get a character dressed in an anime cosplay in the background which is much less intrusive way of doing stuff like this.

And then there's Gravity Falls...

To sum up, they can be good but they also must meet some standard of execution just like any other part of making the cartoons, they're not above it all as some easy and perfect way to fill out time in an episode.

This GF made me actually cringe

name me every akira reference because that was a cool movie

It's mainstream obscure

>Barney
>good
That was your first mistake

You posted the wrong video again. it's this one you have to post:
youtube.com/watch?v=XKpQ_FwoPAU

>pizza
Sugar confirmed thot

What about cartoon references in anime?

>Gainax/Trigger is a bunch of westaboos

Full story at 10.

I... I do not see the ref.

Post the one with Dipper and Mabel.

Found it.

You have a link for it?

Japanese Anime Internationale strikes again. "And if you don't like this, you're baka."

I mean, old anime referenced Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Starship Troopers, Blade Runner and so on all the time.

If anything, it's the modern anime that is weird in trying to act as if anything outside Japan never existed.

Maybe on Sup Forums, but they always have shit taste and I've learned to disregard any thing that they agree on as a whole

>One of the most popular anime on Earth
>Obscure

I mean in the same way sunlight is obscure to a basement dweller maybe.

I dislike references like pic related because it's not clever and the whole schtick is "Oh! It looks like that thing!"

The one I posted has squidward on the bottom left. I don't know what the other one was

Bottom right* wow I'm dumb

I saw 3 episodes and got bored. I'd rather watch berserk

Why do all Western Cartoon creators seem to be weebs and love anime? Star Vs The Forces Of Evil, SU, GF. The dame with the french

Anime is fucking trash. Fuck off back to your containment board.

>Why do all Western Cartoon creators seem to be weebs and love anime?

Why do fans of traditional animation love the only consistent source of it today?

Gee, I fucking wonder.

>why are animators fans of animation that goes beyond western cartoons
You're fucking dumb

Second one shows Rebecca Sugar and Ian Jones-Quartey. They got to visit Trigger since the westaboos there are big fans of Steven Universe. Takafumi Hori, one of their animators, worked on a SU episode as guest animator.

I think I've said this in another thread, but it's okay for one work to have references to other works so long as it isn't overbearing. Megas XLR had a lot of references, but for the most part they're kept in low quantity and pertain to the setting and backdrop. Almost all of them were about mecha, kaiju, and other /m/-related media.
With Steven Universe I'm noticing innumerable direct references to a wide variety of series, including but not limited to Yoshi, Usagi Yojimbo, Sonic, Tiger-Man, Eva, Mazinger, JoJo, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Junji Ito horror stories, Akira, Dragon Ball/Z, the list goes on. Some episodes are using reference after reference after reference, and for many of these references it's simply copying them scene for scene. It's starting to get a little too much and, although I will say that the show at least makes sure they don't look out of place within the flow of the episode, I would like it if they did start toning them back down.

This, anybody who disagrees is a contrarian faggot or an ignorant of the subject.

GF is cringe tier and pretty lame dull show by the way tbqh. Nothing to see here.

I finally watched it for the first time earlier last month. I can't even quite put it into words how much I loved it and how I feel about it.

Name any references they've made in the past 10 episodes.

Maybe because anime is fucking based as fuck.

Nice one. But you have to know it to spot it.

I prefer refrences to old books like the iliad or the Divina Commedia. Makes the creator look educated and intelligent

Why not just check out the entire list yourself instead of asking someone to do work to try and disprove your intentionally vague rebuttal?
steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/References_in_Steven_Universe

And there's nothing from the past 10 episodes, which only supports my point.

SU references are entry-level stuff, showing how dishonest and post-ironic the the whole thing is.
Maybe the next generation of people won't be fragile enough to have to use several layers of irony to express themselves.

Nobody wants to reference whatever obscure garbage you consider to be advanced-level anime. You fucking Sup Forums fucks call FLCL and Excel Saga entry level when it's literally impossible to get all the references without having watched anime for years and have a passing grasp of japanese language and culture concepts.

That was a really fuckin good episode. They made it fit into the story perfectly.

>SEE? I PROVED MY POINT, SU HASN'T HAD REFERENCES IN 10 EPISODES OUT OF 100, THAT MEANS IT'S NOT EXCESSIVE!
>MY SHOW IS GREAT DON'T INSULT IT EVEN SLIGHTLY

It's still a long fucking list, tard.

or movie references

Sup Forums doesnt have any better taste in anime than Sup Forums

I mean, it fucking aired on Adult Swim. That's the casual anime stamp of approval right there.

Seems like newfags woke up

Untrue. Sup Forums has literally the worst taste.

Way to misinterpret my argument.

You mean read?

I would not call excel saga entry level. I mean most of newfags dont even know what it is

Sup Forums only likes what ever toonami had

And atleast Sup Forums doesnt try to act like they know anything about animation unlike in Sup Forums

Toonami had some good shit though.

Didn't Yuuri do a South Park thing too?

And Slayers. Sup Forums loves Slayers. To be fair everyone loves Slayers.

i love every motorcycle slide reference, they never get old.

I actually did this in real life once when somebody cut me off on the road. Then I fell down and my bicycle slid under a moving truck.

I actually managed to stick my leg between the tires, grab the crossbar with my foot, and swing the whole thing out as the truck was turning in front of me, which would've made for an awesome anime scene by itself.

Lazy and obnoxious

I fucking love Hamtaro.

Yes, they had a short scene of a kid fan in Cartman's clothing.

I have to admit, seeing this pic posted over and over finally got me off my ass to watch Evangelion.

Amazing.

Don't forget about those fucks who compare 5 episode OVAs from the 90's to current TV anime

a mixture of fear and disgust

Sure but there was alot shit too

Ironically I thought the Bubblegum Crisis remake was pretty good. Toonami should get that next.

Lol.

this. Sup Forums has entry level taste.

Entry level t hings are entry level because they're popular. They're popular because they're good. If nobody likes your stuff enough to tell other people, it's probably bad.

Also bullshit.