Where did CGI go wrong

Where did CGI go wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wH7Q2y9iKPU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

deadlines?

Probably with the amount of it that is used, it becomes so costly and not as much can be spent on doing it well. Quantity over quality.

My guess is despite the CGI getting better, they're not hiring better artists or animators.

Why is Cyborg 95% CGI?

Why not have it practical with a bit of CG addon?
At least make his entire fucking head real goddamn it.

Look at this dude

this

combined with the fact audiences generally dont care. The average filmgoer equates more sfx, and flashier sfx, with good sfx. Why bother spending the extra cash to make cgi look realistic if viewers just care about how much of it there is or how complicated it is. even the normies that do obviously dont care enough to not go see disney's marvel's the avengers part 12 infinity war part 2 electric buugaloo

is that a crysis movie?

based snyder btfoing marvelkeks
cry more biotch!

I'd imagine on LotR, CGI animators were a smaller farm to choose from, and they'd have been dedicated in their careers. Now it's just farmed out to a bunch of Koreans who slave away at every miniscule detail.

the Balrog looks primitive (you can see this more in the HD version) but the imperfections are well hidden and blend in with the rest of the environment well so its not so jarring
plus the Balrog is a "spirit of fire" and CGI is great for creating flame/smoke which further serves to obfuscate the body
the Cyborg parts don;t even look like part of anything, and they are too overdesigned to be easily recognizable.
they should have gone with something more like the classic Cyborg design instead of this edgy mess

You got older

WE

>defending capeshit

Even DC fans like myself are seeing how shit this is, what are you talking about? Modern day CGI is fucking awful.

CGI is fine, it's just people trying to slap an easy solution on problems instead of figuring out the right way to do it.
>Balrog in that scene?
Good idea
>human face cutout on full 3d humanoid model
Bad idea.

The balrog doesn't look real, it just doesn't look out of place in that scene. Justice league looks like Warcraft, where a few real people are slapped on a massively CG'd background and it just doesn't work.

>CGI is fine
this is true in general, but if you're trying to argue that there isn't a heavy use of sloppy garbage cgi nowadays, i suggest you retune your eyeballs

>mfw this was 30 years ago

Absolutely. Hence the rest of my post.

All I know is that Cyborg looks like absoulte shit.
Its not about CG-I somehow being worse, its some amautr NEET fag being hired to the job and DC being the beta males they are greenlighting an obvious underdeveloped CG-I garbo. What do you expect, they still hire Zack Snyder to make their movies after the B V S disaster, and after Snyder's whole track record of making mediocre at best movies. Its really hard to be a DC fan right now. Even WW was run of the mill garbage, even though so many wanted to tell themselves it was return to form for DC

*inhales*

So there is dust coming from the wounds of this flying guy when he gets stabbed?
GOLDEN FAIRY DUST??? WTF??

>Even DC fans like myself
'tis a shame we are a dying breed

are we going back in time?

if we're not too careful pierce brosnan will be starring in a film about volcanic eruption

Bullshit. You can't tell me that the Balrog doesn't look good as fuck in that scene with objective eyes. The reason it looks good was that a lot of it was hidden with fire and flame and just shrouded in darkness. They did it right. They knew that it was going to look out of place among practical effects. Capeshit just abuses CGI to the point where you're watching a video game.

If the Balrog scene was done today every inch of him would be brightly lit because the CGI artists wanted to show off their work and you'd be able to see all his imperfections more clearly

WUZ

DONUTZ

Compare the Balrog scene to the Smaug reveal.

They're underground with no obvious sources of light yet the colour grading is completely flat with barely any blacks and it just looks horrendously grey and dull. Even though Smaug is technically far superior to the Balrog he ends up looking worse because you can see all of him so clearly and your eye is drawn to the subtle imperfections that let your brain know he isn't real.

Also even the composting of Bilbo looks like shit

the animation here is fucking top notch, it moves with real weight

I swear its a money thing. The less they put a person on screen, masked or otherwise, the less they have to pay and continue residuals. Its become comical and that it continues makes it clear there is an incentive to do it. They should be using models and make up more than computers for everything as the eye still knows the human face.

As this
user says you can kind of see how primitive the Balrog is when he jumps. He has that awkward janky overly smooth quality to his movement that a lot of late 90s early 2000s CGI had, but he's hidden so well in the dark that you barely notice.

no i think hes wearing armor or something and the trident sparked.

What Sup Forums still fails to realize is that most of the largest blockbuster films have CGI handled by mostly the same people. Look up Industrial Light & Magic and Weta Digital, as the most obvious examples. These differences are likely due to internal differences, like budget, deadlines, amount of workers on projects, etc.

Because Zack Snyder is a fucking moron

I fucking hate this guy and how he nearly destroyed fucking DC's rep in movies

Snyderkino will be vindicated by time

Though I suspect Justice League will be terrible

superhero movies were never supposed to work.

the Nolan batman movies did it right. Those didnt feel like a cape flick for kids only. Cape flicks these days you have to flick your brain off to enjoy it. Its so empty.
Perhaps taking short graphic novels and make them into movies would be better, and without any condencing to make the story feel watered down

>by time

>hair isn't even moving

He's superman tho, who the fuck knows what hair powers he might have.

Spawn has better CGI than that shit and it's the best comic book movie ever made.

I heard that movie was shit by many sources. you are telling me its gud? tell me why?

>Spawn has better CGI than that shit
youtube.com/watch?v=wH7Q2y9iKPU
*INHALES*

Not even remotely true anymore. Weta farms out a lot - and often movies require several houses to handle different aspect of a movie no. Weta can do optical work, or cg. A thread about bad CG for Wonder Woman was up yesterday- Weta did the optical work, but a company called Pixomondo did the CG (they did the dragons for GoT), and they also used a companies Double Negative, Platige Image, and The Third Floor, among others. ILM and WETA can only do so many movies a year, and they could not handle more than a couple, this work HAS to be farmed out because everything has digital effects in them now. Back in the 80's and 90's ILM was the 800 lb gorilla in the room, because there was so little CG being done, they got the lion's share. They have 14 movies slated for 2018 - that's a fraction of the movies with FX planned for release. They did 14 in 2017. They can only handle so much, so there are hundreds, if not thousands of FX houses now, some specialize, some do a little of everything. ILM and WETA get the big budget tentpole stuff - and even then, they don't do all the work. Some of the big swingers in FX are companies like Animal Logic, Blue Sky Studios, Dreamworks Animation, Digital Domain, Rhythm and Hues, Act 3 Animation, Blur, etc. Often WETA or ILM are listed as the main credit for FX, but often they act more as a management for the FX pipeline coming in from different sources. Who is used is based on budget, schedule, and ability. Politics no doubt play a part, but companies that do the heavy lifting behind the scenes don't last long if they cause problems. Scheduling is probably THE most deciding factor, because these companies are booked years ahead.

jesus Christ its like N64

But they cast a black guy.

super hair

it's this.

artists with actual talent are extremely fickle. There's only so many of them out there that can make something really awesome, and with all the capeshit that pedowoods been cranking out, i'm sure they've amassed a small fortune and are off doing their own thing.

and what's left are like capeshit sychopants and DeVry graduates.

the same thing has been happening to the vidya industry.

You do realize almost all of the CGI budget in Spawn went to devloping Spawn's costume and cape, right?
You didn't? Not surprised, you cherry picking moron.

it's not. literally nothing about spawn is good other than his aesthetic.

I liked Spawn. I read the first volume collection of it. Some fun shit. Iced Earth made an album based on it and it has some good tracks. How based can you get when fuckin Iced Earth in their prime makes an album on the character

So, how much of the CGI budget for LOtR went toward the Balrog, then?

It's not that CGI has gotten worse, it's just the shitty quality of your typical blockbuster. CGI can be fantastic, just look at what films like BR 2049 and Ex Machina were able to achieve.

>comparing Peter Jackson to Zack Snyder

Slow your roll there, OP

Which Dreamcast game is this?

ur mother

everyone is guilty of bad CGI but holy fuck that robot black guy is like the worst of the worst I think

>Not even remotely true anymore. Weta farms out a lot - and often movies require several houses to handle different aspect of a movie

you are both correct AND incorrect.
Major studios farm out, BUT they tend to farm out to a lot of the same studios. And those studios pass people around from contract to contract. A close friend of mine works in VFX, he's worked on Captain America, Logan, Avengers, Harry Potter, Thor, Star Trek, and a bunch more. He works at Image Engine for 6 months, then goes over to Double Negative, then Animal Logic, then whatever else, probably back to Image engine to start the cycle again.
Doesn't hurt that almost all these studios are within 2 blocks of each other in Vancouver.

Also, this thread is pointless. CGI in commercial trailers are NEVER final CGI. It looks like garbage because they work on this stuff literally up until the release week.

It's obviously a bit disingenuous to use a blurry action frame compared to what is essentially a promotional screenshot of the film.
If I grabbed any of the frames of Legolas killing the Oliphaunt in Return of the King it'd be laughable because it was CGI in 2003.

Better?

STOP WATCHING SUPERHERO FILMS ,YOU FUCKING MORONS

Pretty much. VFX studios come and go like a bubble. Civil War used like 20 different VFX studios from all around the world because ILM does a lot of movies and the deaging stuff from Lola VFX. In Iron Man 3, there is a solid 10+ seconds of the credits where it's just a wall of asian names in the VFX.

CGI when used correctly can work wonders. But blockbusters have dates to keep and will contract out work to anybody and everybody. Same with financial firms outsourcing grunt work to India and South Africa just to waste time and money reviewing it all and waiting for corrections.

>timeless kino
Vs
>generic capeshit that gets a sequel every month

This.

There used to be a limited number of VFX shots (in 80s and 90s movies you would have maybe five VFX shots in an entire movie, and they would total barely 5 minutes of the movie.

Today you have thousands of VFX shots and they total a huge chunk of the film's running time.

Fellowship and Two Towers have better VFX than Return of the King IMHO.
Because RotK was quantity over quality.

Yo dog, sfx means sound effects. And you SOUND retarded as fuck.

>CGI is great for creating flame/smoke which further serves to obfuscate the body
No, it isn't.
Creating good fire and smoke effects in 3D is FUCKING HARD because they both adhere to fluid dynamics, and we have no formula for calculating movements of fluids.

You literally just make shit up, and pray it looks "real enough".

>nearly
its dead Jim

You should use your eyeballs and read the whole thing you dumbass cunt

Wonder Woman was better than all MCU movies bar two though, critics and audiences agree on this

Smaug looked awesome what are talking about

when they realized outsourcing with asian students is cheaper.

Man Of Steel is a perfectly good movie.
As is Watchmen.
When they tried to water his vision down, that's when all went downhill

Those three movies only get better with time. They're like fucking magic.

I agree, but a lot of scenes with Legolas look pretty bad, even back then. He just moves so unnaturally.

>le floating elf
lotr is garbage

god damn you're so fucking stupid it hurts

CUZ IRON MAN

seriously though, stupid decision not to just give him the regular classic look that even children know about, would mean less effects too.

He doesnt even seem part human. Just some depressed monotone self aware robot.

To be fair it looks bretty gud for being 20 years old

Stop watching capeshit.

its so dense

You have to force budget limitations on movies to make them good.
That's why the CG in independent movies like Ex Machina look better than the CG in huge budget action films like Justice League and Spider Man Homecoming. Forcing people to work under severe pressure and adverse conditions will make them exert a 200% effort.

was all the fire and lava necesary?
couldn't they made the malebolgia a puppet?

they could've made this in cartoon as say the hell was diferent

my father took me to spawn when i was 10. i still remember the cape being stunning

Can somebody post that wonder wymyn webm?

Ah well, who wants to live forever?

someone post one of those anime comparisons, same problem, same reasons

>itt turbo-autists who will hate their favorite game forever the second they notice any clipping

elves are supposed to move in an unnaturally graceful way

i know its a copout to explain the cgi but there it is

I remember watching this in the cinema and hearing the gasps of the audience

It's more about the way they lit him and colour-graded the movie, it made everything a dull grey in a scene where this villain should have stood out.

Compare it to the Balrog where everything's covered in shadows apart from his flaming breath and horns, and the filmmakers have made it clear what they do and don't want the audience to see. In Hobbit it's just "lol there's Smaug k there he is"

It seems a common thing to light dark scenes so they look like varying grades of brown shit.

Here.

this sucked tho

You know what sucks? Compare that webm to any part of the new Pacific Rim trailer

You lose Del Taco, you lose the movie