Star Trek /Discovery/ General

>no Discovery thread in the catalog

Explain yourself, Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C52MXbkhepQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a shit show. What do you expect?

Sup Forums loves shit movies and shows tough

Are the black chick and the ginger gonna fuck?

I like the show, but the last episode was legit weak, something we've seen a thousand times already.

>>>>>>>>STD
ST HIV when hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahaha dumb nerds hahahahahahahahhahahah

Why can't I watch it anywhere? I had to choose the Orville over this and honestly I'm not disappointed with it

You can watch it on Netflix.

>I like the show, but the last episode was legit weak, something we've seen a thousand times already.
My opinion is the opposite. For sure we've seen it before, TNG did it, and there's Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, that one episode of Stargate, but time travel and heists is always a good combination, it might be the first episode of Discovery I've enjoyed more of than I've been annoyed by.

Although my biggest gripe was with the gay engineer being the one who experienced all the time loops being so removed from the action because the show is forced to focus on Burnham, it did become increasingly implausible that their plans against Mudd would actually advance with each loop, especially by the last one, Jesus Christ that barely made sense.

Actually it was good, and put a new spin on a concept that's been done before.

I just want to know why Stamets went to Michael instead of the captain

Yeah, I feel you.
And it ended in such a shitty way that you know that Dwight will have another episode.

The editing in the episode was bizarre. The first time the time repeats its just a jumpcut and they repeat a lot of unnecessary content. There is also the obvious shitty writing, like Mudd leaving with all that info to become rich and Michael's personal secret being something as stupid as never having been in love.

>Star Trek: Hot Interspecies Vore

I'd check it out.

You should have realised by now that Stamets doesn't really like Malfoy.

Not in Burgerland.

No I can't I'm in America

Meanwhile the Orville just keeps getting better and better for each episode.

Jump ship now, before it's too late.

>Explain yourself, Sup Forums
Because unironic appreciation is gaaaay so it's just a meme circle-jerk thread from people who don't actually watch it. Sad.

wtf is with this op? I almost didn't find it because you didn't use the correct abbreviation.

I forgot to mention another gripe I had was that party being nothing like the parties you normally see on Star Trek, and certainly a far cry from what you'd see on TNG, it was more like that bar scene in the 2009 movie. Thanks, JJ, because of you Star Trek is filled with fucking 250 year old pop music.

>The first time the time repeats its just a jumpcut and they repeat a lot of unnecessary content.
I don't know, I would think that's somewhat necessary the first time round, isn't it? To make it clear what's going on.

I honestly expected Michael's secret to be that she's a virgin.

I bet Tilly's pubic hair is beautiful

>tilly
I wanna fuck that potato.

You must not have looked hard, there are two threads up, the other one uses the other abbreviation, and it's about to die because you didn't bump it.

>doesn't really like
if you're on a naval ship and know about something that threatens the entire ship it would be insubordination or worse to not inform the captain.

What "other" abbreviation? There is only one that applies to this show.

>I forgot to mention another gripe I had was that party being nothing like the parties you normally see on Star Trek

These ineffectual critiques, jesus christ. No- they tried to make it looser and more contemporary. Get over it, or dont, but that's the show. It felt like actual 20-somethings getting to finally let loose, triggering, i know.

It's a different situation. He probably warned the captain 20 times with no results just like he tried to talk to Tyler before too.

TNG and Discovery are set in different time periods, were produced in different time periods, and have completely different tones. It's fine for them to listen to old music. People listen to old music.

youtube.com/watch?v=C52MXbkhepQ

Untamed. Untrimmed. Uncut.

>It felt like actual 20-somethings getting to finally let loose
Yeah, it felt like a party from today, complete with literally modern music. They tried to make it more contemporary? Where's the justification for that? It's set in the fucking future, and what Star Trek's depiction of the future is like is well established over a franchise that has spanned 5 decades. It's hardly an ineffectual critique, what's ineffectual is your excuse for it.

As I said, my biggest gripe was with Stamets being removed from the action when he was the key to beating Mudd. The party not resembling the well established culture of the time is a lesser gripe.

Also did you miss where I said it was probably the episode I've most enjoyed so far? And if I have problems with it, do you want me to just not say them? I don't know if you've noticed but this thread isn't exactly bustling with discussion.

They're also speaking today's English. Pretty sure English would sound different in the future.

Problem is it didn't feel like trained military personnel on a naval ship where there is usually strict discipline and rules on how you can act even on "free" time.

I get that Starfleet is not a contemporary military but there is nothing in the other Star Trek shows that indicates the rules would be different, quite on the contrary. The characters on those shows always behaved themselves and never caused childish ruckus.

Roddenberry served in the air force, he knew how this shit goes.

why are you defending sloppy writing? why even call it Star Trek?

I said "and a far cry from TNG", the "and" is important, I wasn't explicitly saying it should be exactly like TNG. And when it was made hardly matters, TNG was made in the 80s, you think people didn't party in the 80s? If when it was made had any influence, we would see the TNG crew snorting blue Romulan cocaine when they party.

If you think the Federation evolved into having classy TNG parties since TOS, well, TOS is more than 2.5 times as far removed from contemporary society as it is from what society would become in TNG, and we saw no real drastic chenges between eras besides the improved technology, so that reasoning doesn't hold much water.

This was obviously screened for teens who have never watched any trek
This episode was the worst one yet, nothing that happens matters.
And mudd just leaves LOL

>nothing that happens matters.
A classic Trek episode, then.

>That Burnham Voq romance out of nowhere
>has only been on the ship for 1.5 episodes
>high school levels of dialog

Even the Chakotay 7 of 9 romance had more buildup just let that sink in for a moment.

>t. nu-trekkie who skipped TOS because Reddit told him to

No i mean even in the same episode mudd murders everyone a hundred times and even though its a different time loop he just leaves with his waifu and not to forgot the "info" he acquired. Wat a poor excuse of an episode, it had no substance.

>No i mean even in the same episode mudd murders everyone a hundred times and even though its a different time loop
It's the final time loop, as in it won't loop anymore. He's not going to just kill everyone again, he's going to hedge his bets.

>a time loop handwaves away all the events of the episodes and everything returns neatly to status quo
As I said, a classic Trek episode. Like 99% percent of all the prior Trek shows follow this exact formula, I don't know what the hell you have been watching instead.

Well its fine that they need to repeat some stuff but the particular timing of the jump is jarring the first time. It doesn't really enter into a comfy starting point like Edge of Tomorrow or Groundhog Day.

I dont think you understand what i'm trying to say and i lack the english grammer skills to properly explain.
All i'm trying to say is that this episode might aswell have been a clip show of some sort because the character interaction is abysmal the scenes of mudd mean nothing without proper buildup he's just a mission impossible Q now, everyone just dies over and over and no ones cares(the audience).
The resolution of the episode makes it even weaker because even if you liked lorca there is no reprecussion of any kind.

Even that voyager episode where another Voyager exists in the same time and space and the organ guys/vidians come on one of the ships, has a better resolution and everyone died in that episode.
its just bad storytelling but whatever.

>the character interaction is abysmal
Not exactly limited to just this episode.
>the scenes of mudd mean nothing without proper buildup
What do you mean? What he was doing was built up and explained just fine. If you're talking about the ending with Stella and her dad, she's not his waifu, just some chick he had preciously conned (and used her name in a sob story he tried to spin) and unfortunately for him she caught up with him.
>everyone just dies over and over and no ones cares(the audience).
What is your point? That's how the episode works, the same as any other time loop episode.
>The resolution of the episode makes it even weaker because even if you liked lorca there is no reprecussion of any kind.
??? What does Lorca have to do with the resolution of the episode? What repercussions does he have to face? Do you not understand that everything they did in the final loop, Lorca included, was part of a plan to pull the wool over Mudd's eyes?

Why are people defending shit writing and comparing it to something similar? or is Terok Nor the same as the dead space episode because it features a dark ship?
Anyway i'm just gonna wait till this season is over so i can watch them all at once because i am not enjoying this at all.

Well presumably a conversation occurs at some point where Stamets says "yeah mudd killed you in different horrific ways like 100 times" and Lorca has to deal with the fact that he just set his murderer free with lots of state secrets to live the life of a rich man.

Basically Lorca got super cucked in this latest episode when in reality after the time crystal evaporated Lorca should have brutally beaten him to death on the transporter pad.

episode 7 was actually great

I hated every other episode though

>Burnham tells Stamets her secret
>"... I'm sorry."
I half expected her secret to be that a Klingon raped her as a kid or something

I give up dude its just basic storytelling Lorca acts fucking completly out of character the ending makes no sense in this non trek universe Discovery has set up. This show has no clue what it wants to be

this one is shit in ways that aren't even fun to shit on

all that happens in these threads is shills mindlessly expouse shallow praise for episodes behind a paywall as if they're fooling anyone into believing this shitshow is anything other than a clusterfuck.

and its not even an entertaining clustefuck, its just bad. Boring, uninteresting, totally bereft of competency.

the closest thing to entertaining is how CBS tied all their hopes to a really shitty streaming platform and tied all hope of success of their really shitty streaming platform to this piece of shit. So they have no choice but to act like its great and keep it running indefinitely. For if they cancel it, they have to admit their streaming service failed, and if they admit their streaming service failed, they're basically done as a company.

Well him leaving with such a comprehensive understanding of the Discovery is certainly an oversight, although since it mostly stems from him having computer access the can overhaul the security to prevent that information from being useful to anyone, all he can tell anyone is "the Discovery has this weird spore drive I only half understand. I doubt he could build one for anyone.

As for the amount of murders he's done, there's no evidence for that outside of Stamets' testimony. If anything he'd probably face more significant charges for fucking with the endangered space whale.

Does CBS have any other shows/originals?

I really liked that her secret was something anyone with a basic understanding of vulcan culture (read: everyone in the trek universe) would've already known.

I also liked how the resolution of the episode boiled down to stamets blackmailing several members of the crew with personal information in order to get them to develop basic working relationships.

I also liked how in the final loop stamets was able to run around the ship convince all the people he was in a time loop and get them to do the things they needed to do to trick mudd, all in about five minutes.

OP we call the show STD

They've got 31 different flavors of CSI

>"people listen to old music"

>at a party
>chadbro puts on old-school frankish trubadour pop to pull the moves on stacy
>fucking brainlet, bet he hasn't listened to a single space-CD of Visigoth polyphony

every fucking party

>establish the ship has holodecks
>hey lets party like its 1997!

>The characters on those shows always behaved themselves and never caused childish ruckus.

You are a fucking idiot if you truly think this.

because Orville is better in every conceivable way

STD is here to stay old trek is dead!

>establish the ship has holodecks
Yea what's up with that ?
And Mudd is the new Q

I feel it would be better if it had Z Nation humor instead , that's also a serious show with humor , I think they do it better.

ATTENTION BAJOR!
I HAVE SEX WITH MOM AND YOU HAVE TO DO WORK!
WORK BAJOR!
THIS IT IS

>silly kids cartoons
>no mention of alien nation
>no mention of space: 1999
>no mention of earth: final conflict
>true kino space above and beyond listed as low-mid tier
shit list confirmed.

Never watched it, but doesn't Earth: FC take place exclusively on Earth and another dimension?

this was easily the best episode yet. wish the whole show had been like that since the beginning.

The ship on STD its known can travel time and space meaning they might visit the prime timeline.

Latest episode was the best so far, it was nice to see that the engineer isn't going totally insane from using the spore drive which the previous eps were trending towards. Burnham is a complete autist but lovable. Also funny how the kept showing android-fu just to show off the makeup skills.

>I honestly expected Michael's secret to be that she's a virgin

Isn't that essentially what she said?

Plus the whole "yeah I totally know what having a boyfriend is like, right" thing.

Each loop Stamets found a more efficient way to explain everything to the rest of the crew and make them believe him. That's what the whole dance thing was about, essentially making character find common grounds so they can work together. Of course it was all a convenient excuse for the romance subplot but that's the way I see it.

>blake's 7 below blake's 7: lights out

negro, at the last loop stamets would've needed to get everyone on board with about six words each in order to outmaneuver a guy who gains remote control of the ship in about 30 seconds. The plan requires burnham figuring out what systems are non-essential (and it turns out just that's just about all of them) and then hacking those non-essential systems to spoof the results they need (which only the engineer could have known) and coming immediately to the conclusion that she was valuable to mudd (despite not having enough time to tell the engineer this) and figuring out the time crystal thing (something she also couldn't have told the engineer) all in about five minutes.

there's really no excusing the last loop, everyone just suddenly had identical knowledge.

Even Michael wouldn't have known about her sacrifice and neither would the engineer. So they would have made the exact same mistakes leading them to the exact same outcome as the previous loop, with the exception that Mudd might have put his antimatter balls (...) somewhere else.

Many say she is the Klingon spy, soon we will find out!

Dark matter! Not anti, dark!

>this makes the symbolism worse

Oh, was it dark matter? My mind must have accidentally fixed the show's sloppiness as I was watching it.

Also why did the engineer come forward? Mudd could have killed the entire crew thousands of times and would still have to reset time if he didn't get what he wanted. There was no reason for the engineer to give himself up like that.

>finds out the engineer has loop knowledge
>doesn't immediately double-check everything

this was also some great writing

dude, can you even imagine? he was stuck in the loop for TWENTY FOUR WHOLE HOURS!! its amazing he was even remotely sane!!

He was just as "stuck" as Mudd was. There is really no excuse for how bad this episode was written.

I guess the sarcasm was missed.

this was the shortest time-loop episode that's ever been done. so yea it was ridiculous that after barely any time stamets is all "DUDE I GIVE UP OH GOD MAKE IT STOP"

It has them dying at the end literally every time, that's not exactly making anyone saner

Meaningless events if you know time will reset itself.

Well yeah, we saw him do that by asking people for secrets. He got really efficient at it.

Not really, if you're not a psychopath - especially considering he was trying his best to stop it. Point was that he DIDN'T have infinite time because if he wasn't fast enough Mudd would succeed. That's pressure.

Michael knew it all which is already explained.

>DS9 over B5
lol

You do realize the engineer himself was key to Mudd's success?

>Also why did the engineer come forward?

Because the plot needed it.

Of course you could have written in Mudd discovering this somehow, maybe by torturing someone of the vast numbers of characters that DID NOT know it was a time loop (thus negating the threat). But that seems hard and typing hurts the fingers.

So he just gives himself up so we can go to the next thing on the bulletpoint sheet.

Maybe the force told him to do it? Yeah that sounds good. I mean spore network. Yeah.

What the plot really needed was a real writer.

He has the full officer roster, a detailed knowledge of the security systems, probably knows a decent amount about the weapons and defensive capabilities, can relate the basic gist of the spore drive, knows who Michael Burnham is/that she's on the ship, etc. He also seems to have a pretty strong disdain for the Federation. He knows enough that he should at least be imprisoned during the time of war and not set free.

>the closest thing to entertaining is how CBS tied all their hopes to a really shitty streaming platform and tied all hope of success of their really shitty streaming platform to this piece of shit. So they have no choice but to act like its great and keep it running indefinitely. For if they cancel it, they have to admit their streaming service failed

Actually you're missing the part where CBS made Netflix pick up the bill for all of this while extending their claim on the IP rights for another cycle.

CBS has nothing to lose in this. Netflix on the other hand got absolutely jewed and it might be so bad this will end up in court.

>forced

uh huh.

I'm betting there a failure clause where if (when) CBS all access shuts down netflix gets distribution rights to everything CBS has.

What does that have to do with his sanity?

everyone say good morning to parrot media

>>forced
>uh huh.

How would you prefer to put it then you cunt? "Tricked into paying for this bullshit"? "Sold a bill of goods"?

They clearly thought they were paying for a Star Trek show, but instead they got an STD.