I want to start reading Marvel comics, where do I start?

I want to start reading Marvel comics, where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/knights-until-avengers-disassembled/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you want to read a specific character, use recommended reading lists
corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forums_Recommended_Comics_Wiki

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, it's a classic and is the starting ground for many Marvel characters.

Or if you're not a fan of Stan Lee's purple prose, read the entirely of Chris Claremont's X-Men run and Frank Miller's Daredevil run.

don't

modern marvel is literally the worst comics company ever

Look for a REBIRTH label on the cover and work your way from there. :)

I wish the mods would sticky this. Not that anyone reads stickies.

Stick to cosmic level Marvel.

For everything else, go to DC.

When you get tired of superheroes, follow writers and artists you like.

this

Marvel Comics #1

Any other option would be half-assing it.

But that wiki is dead. What an embarrassment.

Anything would work, we don't need more recommendation threads.

We're not Sup Forums. Don't try to turn us into Sup Forums.

We don't have to be Sup Forums to clean out useless threads made by people who don't bother to look before asking. For some reason, no boards seem to care about this any more.

Rec threads are the opposite of useless though.

If you want fewer threads on Sup Forums, I think there are a few topics that should take a higher priority. Like removing live action, for one.

Start with a team book to get you interested in characters, the ones you like just pick up on the latest run and you'll be able to navigate your way through their history, that's how I did it. Started with new avengers, read superior spiderman and worked my way back from there.

>Rec threads are the opposite of useless though.
They're useless because this board has already created resources for recommendations in the past, that's where a single sticky would come in handy. We're back to the beginning of this conversation, now.
>I think there are a few topics that should take a higher priority
I agree completely, but I'm also staying on topic.

>They're useless because this board has already created resources for recommendations in the past,
Poor resources. The tumblr and the wiki are falling apart and dead. A rec thread is more useful than those because a rec thread can get into specifics, whereas the wiki and tumblr are very general and lacking too much information, either because the information died or because the information was never submitted in the first place.

I started with Cable and Deadpool. It really depends on what characters you like.

>Poor resources
Easily fixed, save the info and put it in a new location.
>the wiki and tumblr are very general and lacking too much information
>want to read about a character's best moments? read this, this and this
You're not making your point very effectively.
>a rec thread can get into specifics
When have they ever? It's always this:

>I started with Cable and Deadpool.
It must have been a rough childhood.

>Easily fixed, save the info and put it in a new location.
It's been years and we still haven't succeeded in fixing our resources.

If you want a sticky so bad, why don't you do it?

But back to how pathetic our tumblr and wiki are... So, what if someone asks you, say, which fantasy comics do you recommend? One of the biggest genres in comics, so surely Sup Forums has some recs preprepared for that, right?

As it turns out, neither the wiki nor the tumblr have a rec list for fantasy. Hmmm. Perhaps there are HUGE holes in our wiki/tumblr coverage for recs.

Claremont can get pretty wordy too, but he's definitely worth reading.

I'd also like to add Simonson's Thor run as a must read.

Champions, Gwenpool, Spider-man (Miles Morales), Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye (female version), Thor (female version), Captain Marvel, Daken, Wolverine (X-23 version), Totally Awesome Hulk, Unstoppable Wasp, Ironheart, Devil Dinosaur and Moon Girl.

John Byrne Fantastic Four
Chris Claremont X-Men & New Mutants
Roger Stern Spiderman
Walt Simonson Thor
Peter David Hulk
Frank Miller Daredevil
BM Bendis Avengers
Ed Brubaker Captain America
Roger Stern Dr. Strange
Garth Ennis Punisher
Howard Mackie Ghost Rider
Marv Wolfman Tomb of Dracula

honestly though if you haven't been reading since childhood I don't see how you'll be invested enough to keep reading... I've read thousands of Marvel books and I don't read anything new anymore except for DC stuff when it comes out collected... Marvel is shit now despite having cooler characters. A lot of the stuff I mentioned are just personal favorites and great in my mind but I have nostalgia goggles on.

Don't forget Squirrel Girl.

All fantastic recs. Check these out, OP.

the first hundred issues of Spider-Man and the first two hundred issues of the Fantastic Four, Claremont's initial run on X-Men, Thanos Quest, and Triumph & Torment

that's a pretty solid foundation to start branching out from

just pick a book that catches your eye. go from there.

Ultimatum

THIS: >don't

it doesnt matter how bad nu-marvel is we still have 70 years of old comics

>I want to start reading Marvel comics

What is a comics?

Comicbookherald has a starters list

comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/knights-until-avengers-disassembled/

Get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and start reading. You don't need to read them in order

Eventually you'll start to find characters, teams, writers, ect that you like so you can fine tune your reading.

Also the Marvel Cosmic saga is really good.

If you want something more recent then you can start with the relaunches just after Avengers VS X-Men but the quality greatly declines the further along it goes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!

avoid anything made in this decade.

Dynamite exists, user.

Start with the next issue #1 that comes out.
Those are intentionally made to be accessible jumping-on points.
If you can't find one you like just pick up a trade paperback from a recent #1.
those #1s usually signal a new writer coming on with a new take on things, it's the beginning of their story and they always start by reintroducing the readers to how they see each character.
And don't be intimidated by a big crossover event miniseries, those are usually readable as stand-alone stories, are intended to introduce readers to the characters in books they otherwise don't read, and usually end with a new status quo jumping off point for those books which is always a good place to continue reading.

Also, you can pretty much pick your comics based upon your own personality type:
Anger issues? - Read Hulk comics.
Like weird stuff? - Doc Strange comics.
Are a weird freaky emo outcast? (be honest) - X-Men.
Like politics? - Read Captain 'Merica.
They even have Cap in both flavors now: liberal and conservative.

And I tell everyone: Read the comic's Wikipedia page. It's not a cheat, those are all old spoilers.

Anything published before 1990. It's where the masterworks are.

that's a great series you shitter

anything but this decade.