Does anyone have that image where the guy has that shitty self portrait?

Does anyone have that image where the guy has that shitty self portrait?
Also cal arts thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tgue81LVZ4E
pan-pizza.tumblr.com/post/156690501200
youtube.com/watch?v=yKGeJXk2qWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc
rcdart.tumblr.com/post/141721696124/heres-my-accepted-calarts-portfolio-theres-so
animationcareerreview.com/articles/2017-top-100-international-animation-schools?page=0,3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I used to go to CalArts for music lessons. It's a pretty cool campus.

I've never been to CalArts per se, but I have been to California

I've never been to California per se, but I have been to Eath

Is that near Earth?

Is the whole "Calarts" is ruining animation a real thing or is it just a meme? If it's real provide an example.

Why don't you act like any other person that wants to find an answer and actually look at animations made by Calart students and form your own opinion instead of waiting for someone to say whether it is or isn't you stupid motherfucker

youtube.com/watch?v=Tgue81LVZ4E

It's like half of a meme. CalArts dominates the animation industry partially out of name recognition but is also actually quite good at producing talented artists. The meme part is when people don't realize that the simplistic designs and/or flash animated shows are largely the result of television networks wanting to save as much money as possible so that it's easier to make their money back through merchandising.

Went to SVA for two years as a film student. It's pretty much eastern CalArts

>The meme part is when people don't realize that the simplistic designs and/or flash animated shows are largely the result of television networks wanting to save as much money as possible

FUCKING THIS, it is absurd Sup Forums getting butthurt with the wrong people.

Even more because the worst profissionals out there that Sup Forums complains about are usually people who never went to Calarts and are not profissional animators.

I have a friend who went to CalArts for theater.

He's a waiter.

CalArt's isn't the problem, it's just a part of the problem.

The real problem is that people get hired more based off connections rather than actual skill and as a result we get an industry where the only people getting hired are big fans of already airing shows, which ends up leading to very similar shows with very similar art style's everywhere. CalArts is a place where people go to get connections to the animation industry more than to learn about animation itself.

well, that's his fault. maybe he wasn't really that good.

Reminder that The Creator of Gumball said that The Amazing World of Gumball

Isn't a CalArts Character

degrees these days are a formality

most of getting a job after college requires you setting things up outside of academics while still in college

No, he's designed after 70s Japanese aesthetics.

Holy shit THAT was by Rebecca Sugar. I always thought she was some hack with a toddlers conception for story telling but that animation was powerful like a salvia trip.

It's painted her in a whole different light for me, if it wasn't for Steven Universe I might actually look up to her.

>that shitty self portrait?
???

Rebecca is actually a damn good animator, her issue is that she's way too nice of a person which leads to her not really putting her foot down on her staff as often as she should, which leads to... Well, Steven Universe.

Well my fantasy of making Rebecca cry in person from railling on her show has transformed into wishing I was a person that mattered enough to give her the "how to be assertive" talk

This

If your friend didn't make the connections to get him a job while in THE most connected art college in the U.S. then he just was not cut out for the career.

pan-pizza.tumblr.com/post/156690501200

>youtube.com/watch?v=Tgue81LVZ4E
>Rebecca sugar

Is this Raplh Baski's daughter?

>all male (and some female) characters get regular pussy and some characters like greg even have to beat it off with a stick
>except lars but it's 100% do to his own fault
>meanwhile in every single other cartoon male characters are forced into celibacy, unironically cuckolded and publicly humiliated for expressing interest in women
Why do we hate SU again?

While this is probably my favourite animated student film of all time, I'm not sure why it's in this thread since it's a product of SVA.

about time someone mentions this issue

>The real problem is that people get hired more based off connections

cool
all we have to do fix that is change how people and society fundamentally work

For real. It's not all that surprising.

The professors at CalArts have all these former students in high-level positions in the industry they can talk to and be like, "Hey, what should we be teaching our students?" and then the directors and show-runners can basically groom perfect candidates.

this one?

>The professors at CalArts have all these former students in high-level positions in the industry they can talk to and be like, "Hey, what should we be teaching our students?
That is not how teaching work, user.

Now I'm morbidly curious

Hmmm, I actually disagree with this statement.

As someone who works in a creative field, my professors kept contact with former students and would have them come in to talk to us about what to do or not to do with a portfolio, interview, etc.

That information is stupidly valuable. My professors were able to teach, but the question of "What do you wish you had known before graduating?" is important.

I've had professors who could only teach and were only in academia because they couldn't make it.

Rebecca Sugar is extremely talented, don't blame her for the incompetence of the hacks she has to employ to make SU meet budgets.

You can literally tell instantly when Rebecca herself worked on a scene in SU, as the quality of the anatomy, cinematography, posing, perspective, writing and obviously animation goes through the roof. Pic related, a character goes from Moomin monster reject to waifu in the span of a scene as Rebecca takes over storyboarding.

Making come people from the field isn't the same as asking people from the field what they should teach. It's simply part of the curriculum, not the full of it.

Mayonnaise is such a disgusting condiment

I really must not have the artistic eye, because I don't really see difference, there.

Maybe I might say the one on the right is prettier, but I might be biased by you saying it's RS.

You should really see the show for itself and forget about SJW/tumblr. the show has some damn quality.

And Sugar can put her foot down when needed, it seems, as it is rumorerd she didn't allow a shipping one of her storyboarder wanted to include in the show.

It's funny, said storyboarder's tumblr calls her an evil bigoted egomaniac. Like, repeatedly.

This got "A" grade

youtube.com/watch?v=yKGeJXk2qWQ

Animation student here, I'm in a fairly renowned college, most of the staff still work in the industry and keep good contact with successful students. Some studios do come around headhunting students before they've even finished their degree and a lot of us get internships during the summer months. I know that this is the exception and not the rule for animation college but desu if you want to git gud you have to be the exception.

Sugar has an amazing knack for animation and has done a lot of novel and unique things with SU. A lot of the people working under her are mediocre and TV time and budget constraints also hold her back. Given free reign however the show would be far worse than it is now, a lot of creatives really need a good editor (John K. for example). SU could be better but it could also be a lot worse

>one single mechanical pencil

yeah that's great if you're a fucking engineer and you're sketching blueprints. not if you're an artist.

Actually that's pretty good.

Why do these 'meet the artist' things feel the need to include 'bigots'

Most people don't, but I am assuming that at least some people in this thread which is specifically about poor artistry in American animation would know what they're talking about.

>said storyboarder's tumblr calls her an evil bigoted egomaniac
She didn't.

I guess she was referring to some other tyrannical boss then

The right has a better grasp on the structure of the face as well as a more better use of weight of line.
It does make a difference.

I don't get why everyone says this. I use a mechanical pencil while drawing and it doesn't feel any weaker.

looks like shit

wut?

Source.

Different leads really do make a huge difference.

I like to do my sketching (as an engineer) with 2B because it erases easier and writes darker. For writing I use a 3H because it has a more stable feel to it. Most people I know just stick with HB though because it's easy and abundant and you're just going to throw it into a CAD program anyway.

Look at any video Sugar is in, and reconcile that with what the bitchy autist with a shipping grudge paints her as.

It really is. I was going to give it points for being used to make Ranch dressing, but buttermilk works much better

I'm not going to take the shipping autist's side, I'm just pointing out how anally annihilated she is that lapidot will never be canon.

I went to SVA, and speaking on purely thesis terms, you pretty much graduate as long as you have practically anything to submit for your final year. They aren't exactly going to NOT give you a diploma after spending $120k on tuition. Hell, many people don't even finish their thesis films and get passing grades. I submitted mine when it was incomplete.

I don't think there's ever been a case of someone not submitting even a single frame of animation and being denied their degree. The only way that would happen is if you don't get all the necessary credits by the time of graduation, in which case, you have to spend a few thousand extra to take those needed classes until you do.

Sugar didn't go to Calarts, did she? Neither did Jeff or Joe, to my knowledge. And they're the best boarders after her

Guys you're all forgetting the greatest student thesis animation ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

maybe this is the right thread to ask, is it worth going to sheridan to learn animation? i can´t go to calarts or any other american school because i´m a beaner

If you do 'search google for image' the first result is Cartoon Network.

This is the world we live in.

Let's post the quality art of people who went to or are currently in calarts!

Maybe they assume everyone who doesn't say they aren't a bigot are bigots, or are afraid that other people will think that?

Did that fucker actually go there, or are you just pulling our legs?

Try and guess who those two are.

Why would you include "back pain" and "assholes" in the "Nah" list? As if to imply there are people that enjoy back pain and/or dealing with assholes? Why include either of those things when it's sort of a given?

And that's not even the weirdest thing about the image, either. Like, for example: how it supposedly doesn't have a gender, yet also identifies as a "queer", which implies that it DOES have a gender

Unless it's the literal definition of queer, which just means "weird". Which, if so, is spot-on.

just compare how the SU pilot looked to the final thing, it was more visually interesting before, now it´s too anime looking and barely resembles her style

Oh, my sweet summer child
rcdart.tumblr.com/post/141721696124/heres-my-accepted-calarts-portfolio-theres-so

Maybe because it's virtue signaling. But they are so brain dead it's probably that they believe writing bigots in the 'nah' section will actually have some effect on the people they think are bigots.
they're just sheltered dumb fucks who want to stay sheltered honestly

>120k

Jaysus a Christ a

Different user, but they probably just got in based on their life drawings, the slight differentiation of the signature 'stocky blob pig' calarts character designs, and they look like they can draw.

It's starting to look like a really easy college to get into. Hopefully, if an user here gets accepted, we can make animation great again

The only saving grace I can stomach is Cr1tical, and that's just because I like his voice.

>finally get a good industry job (not a calarts grad)
>realize mediocre tumblr fucks like this are 23 and employed

I can't wait for Cr1tical to start getting real VA gigs like Egoraptor has now.

I was really surprised to learn that real life people accept "agender" as something when it's an inherently misogynist label

how long before we start seeing theythems in mainstream cartoons?

Jesus Christ I see this woman's art everywhere and it viscerally disgusts me

$120K on tuition
Fucking A. I may suffer from being a leaf, but you Burgerfiends just get robbed for higher education.

I've only had to pay around $1,000 - $2,000 per semester in a business program. That's courses AND books if I can't don't just buy them used. Talking with friends at some of the bigger Universities like UBC and McGill and they pay about $6,000 per semester.

Most state schools in the US only charge like $5k per semester. CalArts is a super elite college. Or at least it's priced that way.

It can be done, but generally speaking non-mechanical pencils are superior when it comes to art.
Also, I like your tits- I mean work user.

>Look at me, I'm quirky and unique just like absolutely everyone else on tumblr
It's funny how these people don't realize they're pretty much walking caricatures.

This is a faggot, user

>Unless it's the literal definition of queer
Since when have tumblrites ever used the literal definition of anything?

Also, I'm pretty sure she basically outed herself as being completely cis gendered with the queer thing, but since cis is a dirty word on tumblr she's terrified of referring to herself as such. I've seen some ridiculously mental gymnastics on that site to avoid the c word, like saying you were triple trans (a genetic trans who identifies as cis or some shit like that, the end term basically just being a normal cis person)

This is how "it" looks in real life

What makes you think they consider themselves any more unique than anyone else? Because they're not wearing sweat pants and crocs? Everyone's the same, user- think about it- all just trying to find a place to fit in.

She forgot to draw herself fat

>Be me
>Want to be an animator/TV writer
>Live in Colorado
>Barely any opportunities to learn what I want to do

Life hurts.

>they
stop enabling this meme

>Not moving to California

Get a pirated copy of Flash and just start making stuff. Put the results on youtube. Keep doing it. Results will come in time.

Just read Richard Willaim's Animator Survival kit

Storyboard artist here,

The key to getting good at anything is accepting that you suck at it. Everyone at art school who didn't accept critique or bother changing their high school Angels Vs Demons story works at Starbucks now.

That being said, you can learn all you need to know on the internet if you have the drive. Don't end up $200k in student loan debt like me.

>I may suffer from being a leaf
Canada is one of the best contries to live in if you want to learn animation
animationcareerreview.com/articles/2017-top-100-international-animation-schools?page=0,3

Additionally- if you wanna meet someone who ACTUALLY thinks they're better than you, try walking around an elite prep school campus sometime, not browsing tumblr for harmless gay nerds to shit on. The sad truth is that YOU think you're better than them, and the fact that they don't agree burns you up.

>TFW never went to art school and already a profissional animator

On Brazil there is a law with a minimal amount of time of nationl shows on tv.

This forced Nick, Disney and CN to air national cartoons. So the demand became HUGE on Brazil, to the point that studios accept people who look promising, and train them themselves.

Most of the nationals shows are shit, but these days some 3 or 4 cartoons are fucking great and can compete without problems with gringo shows, and the animation industry just grows around here.

I keep seeing gringos complaining about lack of job on animation, and thinking that if you guys lived here, you would find easily a job and have a better salary than on US, due to the high demand of profissionals.

learn how to draw this like the pros and get charged 255,000 or more and be in debt forever!

Coincidentally looked this up yesterday after a long absence. Still hilarious.

>You can literally tell instantly when Rebecca herself worked on a scene in SU

That's the same scene though. Am I being rused, guys?

If one cannot be in the animation industry then one has to create their own animation studio in order to be part of the industry.

I think she corrected some of the keyframes in the middle of the scene, but I am not sure.

calarts has name recognition, but a lot of anons miss the fact that no matter how good of an animator you are, there's only so much you can do with the budget a network gives you combined with the time needed to make each episode and when it has to be done

a lot of the shows Sup Forums screams CAL ARTS!" at aren't even made by people from cal arts. simple shapes being easier to animate has been a thing for decades

homemade mayo is fucking awesome though, don't buy the hellman's meme.