Mystery of Chris McCandless's Death Solved

>Hamilton’s discovery that McCandless perished because he ate toxic seeds is unlikely to persuade many Alaskans to regard McCandless in a more sympathetic light, but it may prevent other backcountry foragers from accidentally poisoning themselves. Had McCandless’s guidebook to edible plants warned that Hedysarum alpinum seeds contain a neurotoxin that can cause paralysis, he probably would have walked out of the wild in late August with no more difficulty than when he walked into the wild in April, and would still be alive today. If that were the case, Chris McCandless would now be forty-five years old.
Was Chris a hero or an uncompromising free spirit?
Also would you stay with your Kirsten waifu if you were him?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)
edition.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/new-mexico-french-deaths/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poon_Lim
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BUJMP

he took the "be yourself" meme too seriously

>hero
>free spirit

Just an idiot who instead of doing something stupid near civilization where he could he helped, he did something stupid too far away from anyone who could have helped or cared.

If I went off into the bush and ate poisonous plants and killed myself would I be a hero?

muh dick

It depends on your ideology

So this is the power... of boomer parenting

he OD'ed on weed
I don't get why people think this is so mysterious

fucking prime kstew right here, right in the damn feels

>he literally transformed into a bee

you would at least be an hero

>Muh poisonous plants
>Muh mislabelled plant book

NO!
He lived off the same shitty berries or seeds or whatever (I can't fucking remember) for MONTHS and surprise surprise; he got fuck all nutrients from them and surprise surprise; he became extremely weak and surprise surprise; he fucking died.

>"b-b-b-but he was a hero... he would have made it if it weren't for that damn mislabelled book!"

>toxic seeds
I don't get it.
captcha: crescent speed

This movie alerted me to the presence of SJWs

1. Protag refuses prime pussy because she's (gasp!) 16, possibly the first instance of a numale in movies
2. Protag wanders off for no reason at all, channeling hippie, even beatnik crap from way back in the 50s and then he fucking dies in a way that's so embarrasing that they just sort of skimmed over it.

Only thing missing is a Jewish sidekick who gives him a drop of Setchuan sauce.

Toxic feed and seeds

>refuses to fuck prime pussy because she's 16
>16 is legal in many countries and states
What a faggot.

>book paints him as a fucking moron
>movie paints him as the holy saint for every basic bitch

>If I went off into the bush and ate poisonous plants and killed myself would I be a hero?

if you abandoned a chance to go to law school and voluntarily became homeless , maybe.

also he was only a few miles from a cable car that could have got him over the river and let him walk out of there any time. But he did not have a proper map of the area.

Yea he was a fucking idiot who thought that nature was this kind, benevolent thing and not the violent kill-or-be-killed maelstrom it actually is.
He got out there, fell in love with it, and got in over his head.
Just a stupid, dead hippy

I met his parents and had a 2 hour conversation with them. They are great people and their memories of Chris and personal stories not in the book were incredible. He sounded like a good guy with a moral head on his shoulders.

1: No, those are not that toxic and actually quite nutritious. You'd need to eat stupid bovine amounts of it to be harmed specifically form the toxin. Way more than he could have done. In fact, eating enough to have harmed himself from the toxin means he'd have shit himself to death from all the other normal compounds in the legumes before the toxins would be a problem.

2: His guide book did state that the legume has a toxin in it. The book in the movie had that part edited out of their copy of the book.

3: There's no hard evidence that he was poisoned. There's only speculation.

4: He died from starvation. He never attained enough food to maintain weight at any time. He even was able to kill a few animals, but that wasn't enough.

you can ask literally anybodies parents what their kid is like and they'll embellish every memory and tell you they're an amazing person
you fucking moron

Let's pretend his passion was Nascar driving...

Christopher McCandless sets off, from California in an old car he rebuilt himself (he replaced the fenders and painted it), on a trip to the Daytona 500. He only gets across the state line when he runs out of fuel because he forgot to fill it up. Instead of simply walking to the nearest gas station or flagging down help he decides to push his car over an embankment and set it on fire. He then proceeds to walk on foot to the nearest car lot (which happens to be in Mexico for some reason, mostly because he burned up his map in the car and he's been taking backroads.) He finds an old bicycle in a garbage dump and uses that.

He finally gets to the car lot and buys a fixer-upper for $50. Before leaving the car lot he has to change a tire, which he replaces with the solid rubber donut. He buys fuel and heads off to the Daytona 500 again. Only he's heading deeper into Mexico and eventually ends up broken down in front of, "Autodromo Internacional de la Jolla" due to no water in the radiator. The engine block has seized up. Luckily, there's a race about to start. Christopher...er "Alexander Superspeeder", who changed his name, pays the $125 entry fee for the race.

Unfortunately, Alexander Superspeeder doesn't have a race car. He does however have an old bicycle still. He uses the bicycle to race. He makes it only 3 laps before he is too tired to steer straight and veers off into a race car and is killed.

Some Jew picks up his story and writes a book about his life and how he followed his dreams. Another Jew makes a movie about it. Armchair racers around the world adore him.

The End.

No. Youre poor/ugly/not famous. Youd be painted as a laughing stock.

I went to one of Ronald Hamilton's presentation about Chris.
And at the end some old lady asked "Why should anyone care?"
and everyone started howling with laughter.
It was seriously the most boring and idiotic thing I have ever heard.

Turns out that the seeds are not toxic. the idiot starved to death. But it makes a better book if he not shown as a idiot.

he literally starved to death. end of story.

Most people underestimate just how much stuff you need to eat to be self sustaining. If you don't hunt well enough, you don't live in the wilderness by yourself. Not knowing how to butcher and preserve meat was his biggest downfall after he was already committed to being there.

He also didn't wander the area beyond a few square miles. How fucking dumb is that?

Also, what's with all the photos of him trapping and eating porcupines? There are easier things to trap and field dress in the Alaskan wilderness.

Fuck, a full grown caribou is easier to field dress than a porcupine

>move waaay out into alaskan wilderness
>die
Hes a fucking idiot.

>In to the Wild
>man is mentally ill
>man shuns society, gives his money away, burns the rest of his money, identification, credit cards, gets his vehicle caught in a flash flood, becomes a filthy vagrant hitchhiker, changes his name to "Alexander Supertramp", kayaks to Mexico illegally, loses kayak in a dust storm, goes to California, shuns civilization again,
>man goes innawoods in Alaska and lives in an abandoned bus for 4 months, and was most likely the person that vandalized the supplies of food caches (he was a really stupid, mentally ill person after all, who wanted to destroy everything he had available to him from civilization)
>man dies from equal amounts of stupidity, ignorance, and starvation (and from being injured)
>enterprising Jewish author decides to write a book about it to make money from someone else's tragedy
>another enterprising Jewish guy decides more money can be made from the mentally ill innawoods guy and decides to make movie about it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)
Budget $15 million[2]
Box office $56,255,142[3]
8 awards

You've never been around many modern Western parents.

Western parents argue with each other over which child is a prodigy. Asian parents argue with each other over which child is the most pathetic.

who the fuck is named McCandless lmfao how do you get that name

jej

Thank god i'm not american

It is originally Gaelic, but Anglicized..

>4
Yep. He died from "rabbit" or fat starvation to boot. Whatever small game he did get didn't have nearly enough fat to live on, it was mostly protein and he probably burned just as many calories killing, processing and eating it than he got out of it. He was almost entirely ignorant of how to survive in the Alaskan bush.
He even killed a moose but it, of course, spoiled before he could actually process it.

After he ran through all his body's own fat stores, that is true.

>thread on /an/ before /out/ was a thing
>everyone shitting on the movie
>watch it
>like it anyway
>years of seeing threads of triggered autists on Sup Forums every time it's mentioned.

I hope this never stops.

So fucking close

I choose to trust the one who was actually there...

As long as even remotely semi-logical people exist to be triggered and some autist posts these threads, they will exist in this form.

kek

This. Hell, I lived in the woods for a while, and even with my experience and knowning how to butcher and preserve meat, I still lost 10 kilos in no time as I wasn't getting enough calories till my potato patch started producing.

>He even killed a moose
What time of year? Even in the scarce summer time there are ways to process and store excess meat in Alaska.

I read he did extensive research prior to his journey. As with people in their late teens, did schizophrenia strike and he loss all semblance of what he'd learn previously?

I don't think he had much fat on him to begin with considering how much he walked in the events preceding it.

Iel

>is unlikely to persuade many Alaskans to regard McCandless in a more sympathetic light.
Who cares about what those hicks think of him?

mem

Well first off, they laugh at the idea that he died to that, as it clear he simply starved to death like a idiot.

heh

Judging from the photos and the bmi chart in he was on a road to disaster from the very beginning. If I were to try to do what he did, I'd be packing salts and multivitamins and bulk up 1 months worth of fat before even attempting it. Then I'd do my best to maintain my extra 30ish pounds of fat weight the entire time. Any time I didn't have enough food I'd eat some salt, drink lots of water, and take a multivitamins. That way I'd be using my fat stores as a last resort and plan going home or rethinking how I'm attaining food for long term.

>What time of year?
I think it was fall, before his last winter. He tried to smoke the meat but failed to do so properly. He may have researched beforehand but I doubt he retained most of the information or he just gleamed bits and pieces and thought he could MacGyver his way out of it. I don't think starving helped his condition.

Well done user. Well done.

he would have been set for life and decided he knew better than anyone else and threw it all away so he could go play in the bush completely unprepared.

the guy that got eaten by bears is more of a hero than him.

It's really not clear since iirc the plant he supposedly ate doesn't just kill you, it shuts down your digestive system so you can't absorb nutrients causing you to starve to death whether you have food to eat or not.

the film showed him killing the mose, making a fire and then BOOM flies everywhere and the whole meat is spoiled!
How inept can one be?
I mean sure, it's hard to smoke a whole fucking moose, but you can atleast save some big chunks of that giant animal by smoking/drying and eat as much grilled meat as you can while doing so.

>tfw BMI of 15
who /livingontheedge/ here?

might have fucked up dressing it, as for smoking the meat while I know next to nothing about it and seeing him trying to smoke whole haunches just seemed wrong to me

heh

It's been about a decade since I saw the movie. I wonder if he already had a fire going or if he was retarded enough to kill the moose and wait to build a big enough fire to smoke the meat and that's why the carcass was already infested with flies.
He purposefully went in ill-prepared but a container of salt might've saved his dumb ass from dying.

are you an ascetic?

what do you mean by close?

Moose meat especially has to be smoked in very thin slices. He did it completely and utterly wrong.

My skeleton has a better BMI.

zez

>it's an "Idiot wanders into the wilderness and gets himself killed" episode

wew

That doc is fucking Kino

>Was Chris a hero or an uncompromising free spirit?
Neither, the point of his story is that he was naive and misguided, and that he only realized that when it was too late. He's supposed to be a cautionary tale about valuing the relationships in you life, not a traveling free spirit hero.

when will that hack Herzog release the tape?

Even if he killed it before starting a fire, it would still have worked. You just don't skin and butcher it up yet in order to prevent fly problems to those sections of meat. You can have a fire going and cold smoking meat in less than 30 minutes regardless of what you are doing. It isn't all that difficult, but it can be a bit labor intensive. Especially, if you don't have a proper knife.

>go play in the bush completely unprepared.
>the guy that got eaten by bears is more of a hero than him.

i present to you: the two greatest heroes of all
>french couple and son go hiking in mexican desert without shade on a 100 degree day
>started off the trek with two 20-ounce bottles of water
>get off their trail somehow
>mother collapses, without dad and son noticing
>dad dies to
>son survives severly dehydrated

edition.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/new-mexico-french-deaths/index.html

the more you know, might take a trip over to youtube and watch a few vids on how to properly preserve meat, will probably never need the info but it's fun to learn new things

Nice trips. They look exactly like the type of people to do that too.

>be french
>go into dessert completely unprepared
>surrender to dessert

jeez just go to the beach if you want to see sand dummies

The only good thing about this movie was Kstew.

Only if your last words are "fuck Drumph"

>Chris McCandless would now be forty-five years old
God imagine how annoying he would be
btw the movie was trash soundtrack included

Ricky MeGee

The last place on earth you would want to wake up alone is in the Australian Outback. Well, it became reality for one man after he claimed he was left for dead in the infamous desert with no clue of how he got there in the first place.

On January 24, 2006 Ricky Megee was cruising down an isolated road when he believes his car was high jacked by three aboriginal men who then drugged and dumped his body in the middle of the outback. He woke up unaware and confused to dingos’ scratching at him in his shallow grave. And so began Megee’s 70 day struggle to make it out alive.

Surviving on a diet of frogs, leeches, lizards, and cockroaches, Megee found a dam and was able to stay well hydrated until he was found by “jackaroos” or farm hands on April 6. By then, he was a walking skeleton and deeply tanned from the extreme desert sun, but he was alive. MeGee’s car and the mysterious aboriginal men were never found.

Joe Simpson and Simon Yates

It was a beautiful day for climbing in 1985, as Joe Simpson and Simon Yates attempted to ascend the then unclimbed west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes.

But the challenging trip quickly took a bone crunching turn.

Simpson broke his leg during the ascent, putting Yates in the position to get them both down to safety in the frigid temperatures. Matters continued to get worse as a storm hit making visibility difficult and the ascent even more dangerous. Badly frostbitten and and unsure if Simpson was alive or dead, Yates found himself in a desperate situation and he cut the rope.

Well, turns out Simpson survived the 150 ft fall, and dug himself an ice cave to ride out the storm. Afterwards, he battled three days without food and water, and though he was severely injured, managed to crawl back to base camp for help.

Steven Callahan

callahanThis man of the sea found himself in quite the predicament when a whale bumped his sail boat in the middle of the night during a lone expedition. Callahan’s boat, Napoleon Solo, slowly sunk to the ocean bottom and Callahan found himself stranded in his inflatable raft with little water and a small amount of provisions. Surviving the blaring sun, battling dehydration and constant shark encounters, Callahan found solace in the Dorado fish that hung around his raft constantly—his “doggies”. Seven times he shot flares at passing ships only to be left in in frustration.

After 76 days and floating 1800 miles, he was finally found by some fisherman who rescued him, but unfortunately caught all of his beloved “doggies.”

Aron Ralston

We all know this story; does the movie 127 hours ring a bell?

An avid climber and outdoorsman, Ralston embarked on what he believed would be a delightful day trip of easy hiking and biking on the Blue John Canyon of southeast Utah. He was so unconcerned by the trip that he told no one where he was going. When he slipped in a narrow canyon slit and became stuck with an 800 lb boulder pinning his right arm—things got a tad bit unnerving.

After 5 days, his water bottle was bone dry and no food had touched his lips—his will to live was tested and he made the incredulous decision to amputate his own arm from the elbow down using a blunt pocketknife. After managing to make it out of the canyon, he flagged down some hikers and was airlifted to safety.

Jan Baalsrud

Ok folks – the grand finale. This is pro survival status.

jan baalsrudJan Baalsrud was a young instrument maker who was asked to help the anti-Nazi resistance in Norway during WWII. During his trip on board a ship in the icy Norwegian waters, German soldiers showered his boat with bullets, killing everyone on board except him. He managed to dive into the water, with only one boot and sock, minus his big toe that had been shot off.

Pursued by at least 50 Nazis, he was able to swim to the Norwegian coast where two girls on the beach rescued him. He had several Norwegian civilians secretly help him to reach safety in Sweden, but it took many attempts to finally make it. On one attempt, Baalsrud journeyed across the snow-capped mountains while hiding from possible Nazi attack. An avalanche caused him to fall 300 feet and left him blind and severely concussed, aimlessly wandering in the snow for days, plagued with hallucinations.

Needless to say, Baalsrud was found and nursed back to health. He continued to try and push for the Swedish border again and again but was held back by Nazi soldiers. He was forced to find shelter in ice holes where he ended up cutting off the rest of his toes to save his feet and at one point, attempted suicide.

Baalsrud eventually made it to safety in Sweden, but not after undergoing a journey through icy hell itself.

That Eddie Vadder album alone made this movie amazing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poon_Lim

>On April 5, 1943, after 133 days in the life raft, Poon Lim neared land and a river inlet. A few days earlier, he had realized that he was nearing land because the color of the water had changed; it was no longer a deep oceanic blue. Three Brazilian fishermen rescued him and took him to Belém three days later.

>133 days in the life raft

lift something heavy dweeb

1. That assertation has been disproven, it why the author has changed plants to keep the story up.
2. He simply did not eat enough calories to maintain body weight, he discussed in detail what he ate and it wasnt enough

why is this guy even a big deal

so all he did was try to live by himself in the wilderness?

pics or it didn't happen

His parents are rich and push the story

He was actuallya smart guy who could have a future, so it wasn't just a dumbass rage quitting society because he is a failure, plus he got Eddie vader to make that awesome solo album

some guy wrote a book on his retardation since it makes a good story

How can any man resist this?

Why is this retard the folk hero of "free spirit" Coloradans stoner types? Why do they, to this day, continue to romanticize his fatal naivety?

Imagine when Simpson meets Yates afterwards