Durin's Bane?

Durin's Bane?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You know. Because it killed Durin a long time ago. The ring got Isildur killed so Boromir calls it Isildur's Bane.

Nah, that can't be it...

bane?

>swords are useless here
>fights and slays the balrog with a sword in the sequel

K then

Literal hothead detected

Oh yeah? What’s the next step of your mater plan?

>Crashing this bridge
>WITH NO SURVIVORS

What is the balrog's economic policy after taking over Moria?

Well they weren't in Moria then

The Balrog never really took over Moria, the goblins did and he just was hanging out in the area

So you're saying he wasn't seeking rent. That doesn't seem like an economically rational course of action if you ask me.

lighting sword.

>Durin is Bane
I thought Bane was a latino not a jew

>>swords are useless here
>>fights ad slays the balrong with a sword somewhere else
Makes sense in my book

Him saying that really meant that none of the Fellowship besides him had the raw power to fight the Balrog

Gurm is that you?

but he was almost killed by an orc when defending minas tirith in the 3rd film
if the power level is orc>gandalf>balrog and everyone kills orcs all the time, doesn't that mean the balrog is actually the weakest creature in the universe?
i mean think about it, we never even see the balrog kill anyone.

Miss the part where he summoned lightning into his sword ya pinhead?

Uhh, you don't get to pass...

>.. the very air you breathe is poisonous fume. Not even with Théondásen Móen could you do this. It is folly.
> Have you heard nothing Láer Älren has said? Táeréng must be destroyed.
> And I suppose you think you're Théon Duthúïd.
> And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes Paékvhaé Èshés?
> I will be Téatbé Fóerísé Thérinnin Théhännof Âélf.

The council scene was kind of hard to follow, then again I haven't read Silmarillion. Who were these names they held in such high regard?

>not knowing Gandalf knew full well of that orc and was presenting an opportunity for Pippin to show hus quality

Did we even watch the same movie??

dude what

Gaelic

Power levels don't work like that. A mosquito bite can kill you but that doesn't mean it's more powerful than a lion.

this. in the novels Gandalf's race are sort of like angels and the foils to the Balrogs on opposite ends of the good and evil spectrum, but like same spot when measuring power iirc

gandalf, the other sorcerers, the balrogs and even Sauron are indeed all Maïa

1 trillion mosquitos vs gandalf

who would win?

This is a HIGHLY underrated post

Non canon fanfic garbage

They're all Maiar but Tolkien didn't really do "power levels" because he was born in a world without DBZ or Superman vs Batman arguments
Most important thing is being virtuous and then you can fuck shit up. Also, seeing the light of the Trees helps

Maiar is the plural.

And what sorceress? Melian?

I meant Gandalf, Saruman, the brown and blue magicians/sorcerers

t. sauronfag

beaten by a fucking DOG

He probably misread sorcerers as sorceress, the silly goose

I always love talking about Sauron getting fucked up by Huan (even though that shit has been run into the ground by now). But how the fuck does saying there are no power levels make me a sauronfag you insufferable meming redditor?

okay very well that was funny

What was the point of Eru's non interventionist policy towards middle earth if he just revives Gandalf after he dies fighting the Balrog?

How come they play Galadriel as some almighty elven lady when in fact she’s just that a highborn elf while Gandalf who is a fucking angel like divine being of the same race as Sauron (maiar) is downplayed as some wise old man with a few magic tricks under his beard and a flashlight staff

you're a big balrog

>I'm not a sauronfag, but...

sure lad

God works in mysterious ways, can't be helped
He also let Morgoth do his thing but sunk Numenor
She's a Noldor m8

to be fair, you need a certain level of intelligents to understand how underrated this post is

I read that he was worried about being corrupted by the Ring and destroying the universe so he was hands off

how did we go from this

Hobbitposting is forbidden under article 263 of the Geneva convention

That's fucking retarded. Eru is the Abrahamic God. By his very nature he can't be anything less than perfect and infinite and all powerful and so on.

>literal God being corrupted by something Sauron made

The ring isn't nearly powerful enough to corrupt the bloody god of creation m8

to THIS???

obviously Smaug is way better than the Balrog on a technical level but some issues with the lighting and color grading make him look "about as good" instead of "13 years worth of VFX improvements" good

is this some dune bullshit?

You don't know that

The concept of Eru being corrupted is wrong in its very premise. Corruption implies a fall from good to evil but he's outside those categories and beyond our understanding. He already sung the ending of the world, so everything that happens is in the plan
Shit, even Melkor's discord was in the plan
Eru's a dick but he can't be corruped

I love this post so much

How did a giant primeval demon know what a sword was

Presumably heard about it during the centuries he was a soldier for Morgoth in wars against the Noldor.
Fucking filmfags man, did you think it was a dumb animal or something?

Bane?

> it's genious, everything is literally in the dialogue.

>As for Elrond's skin, Arwen had it tanned and treated. Black it was died, and it was cut and stitched and layered together. A fair garment was made of the skin, a tunic of leather strips fitted to Arwen's body, little more than a scant array of thongs strapped here and there about her salacious figure. Her breasts were supported if not covered, her buttocks lifted and separated, and while some of her body was concealed by the elf-leather, none of it included her most intimate places.

It's divinity, ain't got to explain shit.

On a more topical note, it's because the entire theme of LoTR is death and rebirth, and Gandalf returning makes sense thematically. Tolkien fangays will never EVER admit this, but a considerable amount of the Silmarillion is asspulled retconning and patching up gaps in the lore.

Not that it makes the Silmarillion bad, it just isn't some 100% planned out self-consistent mythos. It has holes, and that's okay.

Bane?

What's this fanfic?

Also in the movie he gives Gandalf a Lightning Sword +1

bit unfair on the Balrog 2bh

What the fuck is a balrog exactly?

You don't get to bring sons of Glóin

same thing as gandalf and sauron but evil

>Tolkien fangays will never EVER admit this
Why? While the world grew organically cause Tolkien was fucking insane, characters and such changed all the time. Everyone knows that

>BILBO YOU CONNIVING JEW! THE PROTOCALS WERE RIGHT ALL ALOOOO-

Jesus Christ Jackson

It's all about Her feet.

Dark Lady of Imladris

The Ring comes to Arwen and turns her into a creature of insatiable lust that corrupts Middle-earth. It basically requires that you've read the Silmarillion too.

really makes me think....

They expect one of us in the wreckage

wrong, he was living in that mountain before Moria ever existed.

Hey remember when they turned what was actually a really well done and artistic scene into a cheap gag where Smaug falls on top of Stephen Fry in a wig?

that doesn't invalidate what user said...in fact you pretty much said the same thing

Yeah nah. For example, sit through this pile of horseshit if you hate yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM

How edgy is it? I'm up for a Liv Tyler fapfic but I'm not /d/ enough to get off on her killing her rape victims

In the Tolkien legendarium there's a God (capital g) called Eru. Before time began he created the gods (lowercase g) called the Ainur. The Ainur, under the direction of Eru, created Arda (Earth) and were given the opportunity to enter the world. After entering the world they were divided into the high gods, the Valar, and the low gods, the Maiar. Sauron and the balrogs were Maiar corrupted into evil by an evil Valar named Melkor.

Gandalf and the other wizards are also Maiar.

Kino

>Elessar looked back through the ranks, where Legolas of the Wood and Gimli of the Mountain marched alongside each other between the forces of their respective kindreds. The dwarf led Galadriel by a fine golden chain that wrapped around her neck in a cunningly wrought choker, while the elf prince kneaded the queenly elleth's vast bosom and pinched her nipples. Legolas induced Galadriel to spurt milk into cups that were filled and then passed far and wide to quench the thirsts of the marching soldiers, who drank gladly it, if sparingly: a single sip of her milk was as filling and strengthening as a whole cake of lembas.

It's got cannibalism, but the power of the Ring is very strong. Seems like the kind of awful things it would do.

Yes, user, yes I do.

I strongly advise other anons to watch this scene if they are ever considering watching The Hobbit, as it pretty well encapsulates everything that was wrong with those movies.

Sorry, could you quickly expand on what this video is? Don't have time to watch it right now but I'd like to know what point you were trying to make with it beforehand
Is it some guy presenting Tolkien's world as if it was all one planned out whole vision that he never changed, or is it some guy saying you have to read the letters and shit to see how characters changed over time?

A+ post

How did the man who directed Heavenly Creatures and Fellowship of the Ring reduce himself to this?

>"Oy Vey, Mr Jackson, we've been hearing rumours you plan to make the Hobbit in two parts and not three?"
"Yes, it's a short childrens book"
>"Oy Gevalt, what a holocaust, Mr Jackson, we are missing out on a third film worth of shekels here"
"It'll be hard to make the source material last two films, let alone 3"
>"A shoah, right here in my office, remember the 2 billion, Mr Jackson, we demand you make stuff up, invent new characters, show popular characters from Lord of the Rings, lots and lots of CGI"
"Yes, my chosen one"
>"One last thing you Goy animal, we hear the dragon has 4 legs... it only needs 2 to walk, many shekels will be saved"

tokens donut steel characters
>made out of shadows and fire
>strongest dudes ever
>really good at fighting
>nobody can tell me what to do

This was such a contrived "please laugh" moment, and I was immensely pleased when my theater was dead silent during it.

eh, kinda like an in hollywood when an A-list super star actor "retires" and just directs. They're not acting anymore, but they are still involved.

I guess you could say that Eru's final film bombed at the box office (literally destroyed a couple continents), so he stepped back and just directed lesser known stars like Gandalf. And when Gandalf died, he just threw another picture at him and said try again.

Good job giving money to this shit

What's a good edited version of the Hobbit? Did the extended cuts add in any decent scenes?

I liked most of AUJ because it felt the closest to LotR in terms of tone and pace, but the second two films just kept going and going and were so exhausting.

A friend of mine is a big Middle-Earth fanatic and he dragged me to it, it's not like I expected it to be so terrible

>thats the joke
Please leave reddit

Not to mention the fact that the Silmarillion was published incomplete and posthumously. Major, obvious questions like "Where did the Orcs come from" are left with answers that Tolkien himself was dissatisfied with but never got around to fixing.

But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Ilúvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the semblance of life, could ever Melkor make since his rebellion in the Ainulindalë before the Beginning: so say the wise. And deep in their dark hearts the Orcs loathed the Master whom they served in fear, the maker only of their misery. This it may be was the vilest deed of Melkor, and the most hateful to Ilúvatar.

Galadrial is a 3rd (?) generation elf who's been around for thousands of years and caused Feanor to make the silmarils which caused everything else.

It isn't a video game, there aren't really power levels in LotR

She's older than the Sun and the Moon. In Middle-Earth, only Cirdan the Shipwright is older. And she carries a ring of power. Not many elves left who've seen the Trees.

>but a considerable amount of the Silmarillion is asspulled retconning and patching up gaps in the lore

The legendarium was a work in progress. It evolved over Tolkien's lfetime. He was mindful of this too. He considered himself a translator of hus stories, not their author. Inconsitencies arouse as a result of the natural evolution of mythology over time. As a philologist Tolkien studied the meta-framework of myth academically, so he incorporated it into his world.

>3rd (?) generation
Daughter of FInarfin, granddaughter of Finwe, yeah
Though I guess you coul argue that it doesn't say anywhere that Finwe was among the initially awoken Elves so she could be further down the line