Powerless Thread

Just watched this, what did Sup Forums think about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Es71-YkPoTc
pastebin.com/6YE5ny7i
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I just watched this, what did I think about it?

I should have mentioned my thoughts about it

It was kinda nice but great overall

Liked the end part where Bruce is using the oroduct(s) for "beta"

>but not that great overall*

Sup Forums expected it to be terrible. Sup Forums was right. Sup Forums will still watch the next episode to see if it gets better.

It's got potential. Gonna watch.

on a scale of Gotham - Hub city how shit is Charm city supposed to be?

I wonder how the initial insurance company plot would have been

Sup Forums in a nutshell

I just realized that they removed all the ungratefulness of citizens towards superheroes as shown in early promos and just turned that into apathy

I thought it was mediocre, but it did have a laugh out loud moment, which is more than I can say for a lot of comedies.

Vanessa is excruciatingly pretty

>but it did have a laugh out loud moment,

when?

eh its not terrible, its fine. Its a pilot so its not gunna knock any socks off. It has promise though.

I liked it! Some of the jokes were hilarious, but a few scenes felt a bit generic/"cringy" for lack of a better word. I'd say solid 8/10 for a TV show. Though, you might not want to take my word for it because I'm a generous man.

I forgot

Ehhh, she's a 7/10.

I don't think it's narrowed Batcentric focus will be enough to carry it.

It was okay. Not offensively bad, but only a handful of real standout jokes or gags.

The show has potential, but they need to limit how heavily they rely on Batman and only Batman as the superhero universe connection, and work on making everything a bit more witty.

Hopefully the rougher parts of it were indicative of the episode being a heavy rewrite of the original pilot and that future episodes were less rushed.

I liked it better when it was still called Better off Ted.

Vanessa Hudgens is hot. The jokes weren't anything to make me laugh. It COULD get better. At least the jokes don't all suffer from "lmao funny reference" but you can see the jokes, they're just bland eg the chick who hates Vanessa Hudgens. It has potential, but at the moment that's what I can see from the pilot.

I wouldn't call it terrible, but I wouldn't call it good either. It might get better in future episodes.

It was a vapid by-the-numbers attempt at cashing in on the superhero wave with a lazy sitcom that seemed anxious to point out every two minutes that it's connected to Batman, and I was bored the entire time I was watching. No once did it seem to reach for anything more ambitious than middle-of-the-road sitcom drudgery and generic characters.

I'll probably watch the second episode but even now I'm kind of doubting it.

You literally described Gotham when it premiered if you replace sitcom with drama. So there is still hope cause Gotham got a lot better overtime

You have a bit of a point, but I was absolutely more engaged by Gotham because it at least had potential for an arc and character development with Gordon learning how to manage in the corrupt hell that is Gotham. But as a sitcom (and an incredibly safe one at that) I doubt we'll see much of value from Powerless.

I'm predicting a cancellation after one series, but I honestly hope it manages to step up and be better.

why'd they get rid of the cutie singer girl

>Brit watching American "comedies"
Well there's your problem.

>Brit

Honestly, there are plenty of American comedies that I've enjoyed enough to mindlessly watch them, or just straight up liked, so I'm not going to play the "American comedy is crap" card at all, but there's definitely a comedic comfort zone that many sitcoms fall into, and this one falls into it without having the safety cushion that is "I can so relate to this perfectly plausible normal American family/friends dynamic" because it's a universe with superheroes.

So even while being in the safe zone I think it sits too far outside the regular audience demographic to really be successful.

Bruce Wayne's cousin.
just weird how they set that up. since Bruce was never adopted in that family. idk I'm putting too much logic in a comedy show but they didn't even try to brush over it.

It's because the show is shit, user.

There is nothing canon in this show, they just take whatever obscure characters they can find and show them however they can fit it in the shows plot

what gave away that he was a Brit?

I almost forgot about this. Tudyk and Pudi are in it a lot, yes?

Pudi more than Tudyk

Used "series" instead of "season". Fucking bongs. What is the Bongistani word for the American "series" anyway?

It was hard to keep my attention when it was live, but I just watched it again. I did like it but I feel like we need to know more about what kind of plot they'll try to do because it's not enough if it's just invention of the week. Felt like the first episode could have been stretched out to a longer arc in that sense, but I guess we'll see.

>because it's not enough if it's just invention of the week.

Yeah I sure hope they dont do that cause seeing it being turned into bat gadgets will get old real quick

Why didn't the Kanes adopt him in the comics?

Even though they're a Wayne company I don't think they'd have to exclusively lead to Batdevices. Bruce can send shit to any JL member. Just don't know how much you can squeeze out of them having to create shit to avoid being fired every week. Needs to be more character focused than that.

>What is the Bongistani word for the American "series" anyway?
"Programme".

yeah, that terrible forced joke felt like this.

They could do few episodes where villains steal/force them to make devices for their own means or something. But resting the whole thing on inventions will still get old pretty quick

So DC's version of Damage Control?

Apparently they showed the insurance pilot at SDCC. With any luck, it'll be put on the show's blu-ray, and then thrown up online. From reviews I've seen, it sounded like the original was slightly funnier than what we got.

Shame they changed the company? Any good?

Painfully unfunny. No different than every other quirky show- except for the fact that its not quirky at all, it's just bland.

Close but not really

Absolutely terrible. It was a completely revamped concept and it was only episode 1 so I'll give it a few more episodes. Hudgens was good everyone else was shit.

it's Better Off Ted but with tons of references. Hopefully it gets better cause i would rather just watch Better Off Ted instead. Alan is fun to watch but I hate Ron Funches

Meh first episode, maybe it can get better. Time will tell

You're right. it's like Better Call Ted without any of the charm or fun characters.

Alan is good, as always

Him and Vanessa were just carrying the rest of the staff. I thought that Danny would have been good but his character has no personality. it was like those episodes of The Community where Abed pretends to be normal.

*Cast

Why the fuck Ron Funches? He's fucking terrible

The champagne scene annoyed the fuck out of me, because there was no fucking QA on that entire scene. Every shot had a different fill level on the glass, going from 3/4ths full to half, to 1/4th, back up to half, to 5/8ths, and so on.

I had to look him up. I didn't even know his name. Has been on any TV shows before? The researchers were just the worst. They had no traits not even generic ones. They weren't even stereotypes just blank slates.

He is your standard lol weed dude that guest stars on all comedy shows

no, thats the original pitch.

Retooled is "Better off ted" meets "The It crowd". But with like, zero humor whatsoever. Makes 2 and a half men seem funny.

Did they change it, because Marvel /was/ originally gonna do Damage Control?

But Vanderveer Wayne is from the comics.

Is the show connected to the DCEU?

*Prougramme

Not very good, but with potential.

It seems conceptually better. I mean it's already like the punchline to a joke in itself, right? In a supehero world, suddenly the role of insurance companies is very relevant. This is kind of being set up as "These are the guys who make Batman's gadgets". Which is okay, I guess, but I think there's less you can do with it.

Premise is okay but the first episode was painfully cringey. I can see it getting better or it'll stay cringey like Big Bang Theory.

>The other branch of the Wayne family was so shitty that his parents left it in their will that the butler would raise their son instead
Really gets the old noggin joggin.

I miss Better Off Ted

Bland, predictable, pointless, and unfunny. I wish this show well, but I won't be watching it.

Don't know when it was first adressed, but I remember N52 and Batman; Eart One both establishing there was bad blood between Kanes and Waynes, with the first ones always trying to get inside the company

Basically what this user said

So this show is doomed, right? If you can't get Sup Forums to watch a show about the everyday lives of everyday people in a superheroes' world then how can you expect to pull in casuals and normies?

But Sup Forums has always lambasted those kinds of shows. Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, and now this. And yet Sup Forums keeps watching them anyways, and there's always a talkback thread when they come on.

I feel like a painfully dull sitcom with zero suggestion of any potential for depth is way more dead in the water than serialised action dramas that have an ongoing storyline and thus can at least step up their storyline writing, as they both ended up doing.

I dunno, I feel like if your writers can't write funny jokes initially then they will probably never be able to.

I thought it was humorous enough without trying to force laugh out loud moments.

>I dunno, I feel like if your writers can't write funny jokes initially then they will probably never be able to.
If anything sinks it it will be this. I think I laughed at maybe three of the jokes in the whole thing? Most of the other attempts got either no reaction from me or were actively bad.

Fair enough, I know humour is subjective and all that, I just wasn't seeing much in the way of positive response in this thread so I figured I wasn't some aberrant dead-inside no-fun asshole.

bump for high quality television

I'll give it a watch if it's on On Demand and report back with my extremely important thoughts.

Felt that it had a pretty rough start, picked up in the later half then kinda stagnated. I like most NBC comedies and think that this show has potential so I'll definitely check it out next week

Wasn't sold on it.
Humor fell flat most of the time.
I wouldn't even call it cringey, it just kinda makes me roll my eyes because they have to detail and over explain jokes.
Like the Superman kryptonite window was long winded.

Dislike the majority of the cast with maybe Tudyk as the exception and I don't find Hudgens attractive.

Apparently episode 2 will feature The Riddler's henchman.

Its more the writers fault imo, they didnt even give Pudi much of anything to do

I suspect muh diversity, cause Pudi wasnt dark enough

I really wish they stuck with the insurance angle. And I guess Miccuci is gone now too? That's a shame.

The main problem was that they retooled the entire premise of the show after shooting the pilot and then tried to reuse as much of the old footage as possible when they had to redo it and the best gags were already shown in the promos. It has promise, now that they can move on forward it might get better, just needs more good jokes.

I enjoyed the intro:

youtube.com/watch?v=Es71-YkPoTc

it's shit, good intro, though.

I'm kind of glad they didn't. I mean, it would essentially be a clone of damage control which was a marvel property.

at least this way they can play around with the dc trend of lab accidents constantly turning people into supers.

where can I go to watch this? None of my normal sites have it.

At least this guaranteed to be the worst live action DC thing this year.

Since we don't have any other character explanation as to why she hates Vanessa, she looks like a total bitch. No sane person would be ok to be around her and they would fire her immediately (or issue last warnings and not go to fire someone immidiately) but won't because reasons.

I think it's obvious that there's only going to be one superhero tv show worth watching this year, and its name is The Tick.

I'm sorry, you misspelled Gotham.

It's a good addition to the DC shows and the only one worth watching.
Beyond the sappiness oof Supergirl's drama it manages to have a pleasant vibe, far above the dark and sulky and homo Gotham.
The jokes, bland as they are, still surpass the excruciatingly boring Arrow and Flash.
This is on par with Constantine in terms of fun but I hope it won't have it's luck.
Plus, Emily is hot and I can't wait for full body shots, during the first episode they mainly showed her upper torso only.

pastebin.com/6YE5ny7i

What about Iron Fist?

You know you can fap to Hudgens' nudes already, right?

The fact that you think Powerless is better than any of the other shows mentioned, even though they are fairly mediocre this season, says volumes about your shitty taste though.

So is this in the movie universe, the flash/arrow universe, the supergirl universe, the gotham universe, or it's own thing?

Always assume that it is its own thing unless stated otherwise

I would never do that without her consent.
My tastes are impeccable.