Does anyone remember this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-WZtqEC-g
youtube.com/watch?v=LxtlmjLM6I4
youtube.com/watch?v=aR-Z92eXVoo
youtube.com/watch?v=BJa0Zv5gHSU
youtube.com/watch?v=kuIg8uF9geM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I try to introduce people to this movie, and so far they have all enjoyed it.

Canadian version or the USA?

Awww yeah, dude! I love The Blow-Up Doll of the Elf!

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-WZtqEC-g

Canadian of course

youtube.com/watch?v=LxtlmjLM6I4

I unironically love this movie and think Mok is a great villain.

Why did they change voice actor for the usa ver?

The version with the duet is clearly superior.
youtube.com/watch?v=aR-Z92eXVoo

If you don't already know this movie is awesome, welcome to your first day on co.
Now, what do you think was the most adult-content part of the movie? To me, it's kinda tied between Thunder Row (makeout in a car scene), and the lead goon who said "My brother's dead." which is an actual adult theme, not just sleeze.

RIP Lou Reed

How has this not been posted yet?

youtube.com/watch?v=BJa0Zv5gHSU

youtube.com/watch?v=kuIg8uF9geM

It has some decent lessons for life, something you will not see in the nowadays cartoons

He's right though.

>"My brother's dead."
Still one of my favorite bits in anything ever. The delivery and timing are just perfect.

MGM fucked with it

LOL. I just watched this a few days ago on YouTube. Decent movie. Sudden, jarring tone shifts can throw the viewer off, but stick with it.

When I discovered the existence of this film, it seemed very cool, so I had high expectations. It turned to be shit, though. Now I understand why MGM never gave it a wide US release, it would be a waste of money.

Angel's Song is the only really good thing of this film: youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-WZtqEC-g

The great irony of Mok (mock! geddit!?) is that he presents himself as a magician by using science and he does not even believe in magic only to be defeated by magic.
If that is what happens... trying to define magic vs science is a bit iffy...

>Post-apocalyptic future where all humans were killed in a nuclear holocaust and dogs evolved to become the new sentient hominid race.
>People are literally drawn as humans with tiny animal noses

Why mention that backstory at all, then?

There are other animals as well. Rats for example, and honestly I think that's all so maybe it was an excuse on why it had to be animated.

It was originally inspired by their Halloween special "The Devil and Daniel Mouse"; early development sketches for R&R show much more cartoony animal characters, before they were changed to be more human-like.

>lou reed and iggy pop

how the fuck have i not heard of this?

based Sup Forums at it again

Based Nelvana.

I've had one person I've introduced this to hate it, but he's very picky about his animation and music in general so it's not shocking.

I feel like the potential of this movie was not fully realized.
Gotta love all that occult symbolism, though

So was it all part of his master plan?

I think everything up until the pit was part of the plan. Mok didn't have any information about that bit anyway. Which is why you can't believe grimorums- If it's so big a payoff, then why are you the first one to summon the demon? You can't trust what was promised in the book. You can't trust that anyone ever got that far before.

>Gotta love all that occult symbolism, though
like?

It's not a bad movie, but I think it's a little dated. There was this period in the early 80s when animated features were trying too hard to be "edgy" and "controversial" with stuff like Heavy Metal, The Plague Dogs and Fire & Ice. I get this very self-conscious "Lookit us we're a CARTOON for GROWNUPS!!!" vibe off it.

I forgot, he wanted immortality right?

Well, I don't.

I always thought he was getting bitter that his star was starting to fall and his ego would not allow him to fade away into obscurity so he decided that if he wasn't on top then he would destroy everything.

I thought it was both of that. Unlimited power, rule you like a king, album sales, success and glory forever etc etc.

All I remember was furry side boobs.

I loved the animation and background art, plus Mok in his entirety is a highlight of the movie, but everything else is a letdown, plot seems unfinished and choppy, pacing is meh, one of the protagonists barely does shit for 2/3 of the movie and for something that has "Rock" in its title there's seems to be a geniune lack of said music style throughout the whole thing, and even more odd is that the best track in the whole movie is in completely different genre. 8.5-9/10 for animation and art, 6/10 when you take everything else in consideration.

It sad how some of the talent behind this later resorted to working on shit like Johnny Test.