How would you fix Homestuck?

How would you fix Homestuck?

What would you change after Act 4?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BpgUQYARIsw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

remove Vriska

The three year journey and alpha kid session are spent getting shit done in spite of everything. John Jade and Dave Sprite explore the Lands and master their powers better, setting things up so they can finish their denizens quests the split second they wake up. The meteor crew pore over the library finding clues on how to beat LE and actually alchemize some useful shit. Jane Dirk et Al mastermind a coup on Derse and usurp Betty Crocker's command of the kingdom

The other two things are have Calliope and Karkat merge all instances of everyone into their 'Ultimate Selves' so GO wasn't meaningless, and ACTUALLY SHOW HOW THEY TRIUMPH OVER LE IN THE FINAL FLASH HOLY FUCK

>remove Vriska
Shit idea.

>Karkat is useful
Shit idea.

Go back in time trying to warn Hussie not to ruin Homestuck, inadvertently causing Homestuck to be ruined (except in a few doomed timelines).

Making sure Hussie never meets Halftruth is essential, but the main thing would be convincing him not to do the Kickstarter until after the comic is ended. So yes, just make sure he doesn't get turned into an SJW by that woman's vagenda, and don't divide his attention with a 2.5 million dollar diversion, and it'll all turn out okay.

I suggest that you re-read the comic from beginning to end.

Especially if your reaction to that sentence was highly negative.

You'll find your peace there. You'll be able to let it go. Relive the good, and examine every ugly scar of the bad, within a condensed frame of time. You'll never look back once you come out the other side of it.

I know it's bad, but I also know I couldn't do better.

remove that shitty retcon

When Terezi kills Vriska, its for good. The dancestors are only mentioned in passing, and never become actual characters. The cast got way too fucking bloated.

No, you can keep her, just let her stay dead after 5-2.

Her realizing she did a lot of bad shit, and dying for it, was fine. She even got a free John to get with to die everything up in a little bow.

Seriously, you didn't need anything more.

I would kidnap Hussie and prevent him from interacting with anyone until he completed the comic.

Keep focusing on the concept of the game as a facade, and the underlying conflict between Skaia and the Horroterrors as the final layer of events. Let LE be a piece of that puzzle, instead of an tangential entity. This way SBURB, LE, the Trolls, and everything, are all part of one unified goal and mystery. Splitting half the plot into being about SBURB to suddenly shift to LE being the big threat, and everything about SBURB being largely irrelevant, absolutely shattered everything gain in the first half of the comic.

Speaking of unnecessary shifts that ruined everything, fuck time skips, and fuck the Alpha kids. You could introduce the Alphas as side characters that are introduced when the Betas meet them, that way you can use the established Betas and their relationships with their Guardians as a basis to begin exploring the Alpha's characters, rather than having to begin from scratch, as well as destroy the pacing as everything grinds to halt. But the time skips have to go, plain and simple.

Id stop
just STOP

This. Homestuck was good when he only had to focus on writing Homestuck. Having to produce a game and then having to deal with getting jewed by the production company obviously made the hiatuses worse.

And who the fuck produces a spinoff game before the original series is even finished?

Hussie: youtube.com/watch?v=BpgUQYARIsw

Hivebent is one month long as originally indicated, while all the non-patron trolls are only featured extremely briefly or exist in minor background roles. Vriska's arc is largely merged into Terezi's, and Vriska is only used as a prop to characterize her. At no point is shipping mentioned in the story.

Fix Hivebent, fix Homestuck. Everything gets solved if it happens differently.

I would give the keys to Cohen

I don't know if Cohen could have finished the story better than Hussie, because he seems to approve of and continue to build off on Hussie's very worst ideas, now that he really does have the keys to the comic in his hands.

I don't think Cohen is a good writer because he doesn't see a problem with the fact that Jack Noir is living Spades Slick's life, with Spades Slick's wife. His snapchats just don't have any punch to them in general, but that's what really gives me pause.

But interacting with the fans and riffing on their ideas even after the box was closed was a huge part of what made Homestuck what it was. It's a tragedy in the proper Ancient Greeks sense of the word.

Who's Cohen?

A man who made a funny joke on Twitter once.

Hussie saw that joke, and liked it so much that he made this man the head writer of Hiveswap, and then let him write all of the post-canon content for Homestuck outside of the "end credits."

I'm telling you the straight truth here. This is not embellished or exaggerated.

You are either intentionally trying to piss me off, or the absolute worst person.

pipedreams are unhealthy

Andrew Hussie is a self-loathing betacuck numale whose been emotionally castrated by Halftruth and literally castrated by IPGD. All of his friends and employees are SJWs who demonize men and it comes through in his writing of all male Homestuck characters been wimpy and emotionally broken and the female characters as strong independent women who don't need no man.

Hussie came up with the Ultimate Self bullshit at the last second because he wants credit for an alternate version of himself who finished Homestuck in a satisfactory way.

that ultimate self idea might be a worse addition to the comic than the retcon itself

Uh...so is he actually a good writer?

More davekat

Nope

>What would you change after Act 4?
Remove trolls
Remove tumblr
Give Halftruth the boot
Put a restraining order on $helby and Piggy
Make the Alpha kids actually competent instead of blubbering weenies
Jack Noir is the big bad
Don't do the kikestarter till AFTER the comic ends
The game is about SBURB and plays like a roguelike/lite
Hussie is required to keep his formspring active throughout the duration of the comic

So he gave a shitty writer creative control over post-canon content based off of one Twitter joke?

I know we all joked about Hussie being insane, but this is literally insane.

Between this and starting the Kickstarter while writing Homestuck, it seems like Hussie needs someone to manage his actual life.

>Hussie needs someone to manage his actual life.
He already had someone for that.

What was the joke

> Trolls don't happen, as well as everything after

> Have the comic be about 4 friends exploring a universe-creating game that becomes increasingly elaborate, convoluted, and esoteric the deeper they delve.

Something like;

I like the insult "who is this clown", because it implies not only that they are a clown, but they aren't a skilled enough clown to be recognised in the field.

>most cutting thing you can say is "who's this clown?" because it implies they're a) a clown & b) not even one of the better-known clowns

It was a good joke, but nothing he's written for Homestuck has been funny or even interesting, so we don't expect anything from Hiveswap.

The really funny thing about this joke is that it applies to a man suddenly replacing Hussie as the writer of Homestuck content, and is randomly writing the entirety of a video game Hussie was supposed to write himself.

Someone who's not a greedy bitch

Swing and a miss

>all male Homestuck characters being wimpy
Caliborn won a dead session
Jake can create a hope field that can override any other power, including Caliborn's
Tavrosprite got the same powers as Jade
Dead Tavros raised an army only through pure charisma, something Vriska or Meenah could never do, and promptly told her to suck it, dancing his cares away.
John can rewrite the alpha timeline, and was emotionally above grimbark jade, who nobody took seriously. He was also the one to open the door into the new universe
Dave is a badass who managed to get the whole "bro" thing off his chest which was an extremely hard thing to do for him
Dirk is a badass who managed to get the whole "bro" thing off his chest which was an extremely hard thing to do for him
Karkat (though he failed) was the first to charge at English, which is still a ballsy thing to do, all things considered.
Sollux just doesn't give a shit. and is basically an afterlife pimp

The list goes on.

>The game is about SBURB and plays like a roguelike/lite
no fuck off

How is it possible to have a grudge this long man

He took seven years of our life. His bitch will be hated for seven years sevenfold.

take it easy it's just a comic , sperg

I think that a rougelike/RPG would be a fitting genre for a game emulating SBURB...

What don't you like about it, or alternatively, what genre do you think would be more fitting?

>pointing out the fact that someone had a toxic and psychotic gf that ruined him is somehow holding a grudge
>despite all the glaring evidence of this being the case
I think you're the one with the grudge

Not him, but SBURB is a parody, attempting to emulate it's mechanics would be disaster. Too much of it is impossible to work in any way that would be satisfying, balanced, or not a huge pain in the ass.

Homestuck is about the humor, characters, and setting, and more traditional turn based RPG or Action RPG best fits those strengths.

The only four trolls needed

Aradia
Sollux
Vriska
Equius

The rest can go fucking die
boring characters
ugly designs
fujobait
or terezi

no game kickstarter, all the other problems would take care of themselves without it.

If SBURB is a parody, why should it be balanced? I would find it much more entertaining if things could be so seriously broken that your party will wipe before you even enter the Medium. Mix in Hussie's old humor that just kicks you while you're down, and you have a silly fucking ride that has a very slim chance of being beatable, which isn't even the point.

That is exactly right.

>D'I'm gonna make it a text'a'venture! What could go wrong??????

Can't wait for the game to finally come out and bomb spectacularly so he can put a gun in his mouth and splatter Godhead Pickle Inspector on his ritzy New York apartment wall.

> Don't do the kikestarter till AFTER the comic ends
Even Hussie knew this to be true

>posting a 5 year old pic
I mean

yeah?
that kind of counts as a grudge

Stop talking to autists.

The whole "ruining him" thing also happened in that timeframe, which is also the timeframe in which Hussie was writing Act 5, which was the point of the post. Get over yourself.

>The whole "ruining him" thing also happened in that timeframe

All I see is you making baseless excuses to justify your hate, which really, is still just a petty grudge
keep it up though, it's cute

>doubling down on accusing me of holding a grudge instead of refuting my point
hey

guess what

not an argument

get your ass back to r/homestuck and stay there cohendrone

Because saying "it's a parody!" and then still forcing the player to endure it is no different than just being a shitty game. Take captchalogue, in the comic we are presented with the joke about overly clunky and unenjoyable inventory systems, and we can laugh at it because as a reader in a non-interactive medium, it's just a funny gag to watch the characters deal with. In a game, you now have an overly clunky and unenjoyable inventory system that you need to wrestle with to play the game. It's not fun.

What's more, balance is important to any game, even if it's not tight. It's not just relevant because it allows for a game to be challenge, or for encounter design to be interesting and unique, it also functions to create a proper complexity curve to teach players the game's mechanics , creates a sense of growth and progression as the game progresses, and help to keep the dissonance between gameplay and story to a minimum.

You can make a fun story with the mechanics of SBURB if you just minimize everything that isn't story, but you will never make a good game out of it.

go back to tumblr

how can you tell that's a 5 year old pic?

I'm super tempted to get that Homestuck General archive book. Anyone have a copy?

>You can make a fun story with the mechanics of SBURB if you just minimize everything that isn't story, but you will never make a good game out of it.
Are you just now realizing that there will never be a tangibly good Homestuck game ever? The joke is that SBURB is a shitty game.

>Not him, but SBURB is a parody, attempting to emulate it's mechanics would be disaster. Too

Why would you want a SBURB game to be reasonable, coherent, or balanced?

The game could almost take on a puzzle game vibe, demanding that the player, or team of players, suss out how to navigate a tangled web of obtuse, barely functional mechanics, convoluted narrative threads, and absurd game abstractions, randomly drawn from large pools of layouts, scenarios, and game constructs, in order to meet the victory condition...

> Homestuck is about the humor, characters, and setting, and more traditional turn based RPG or Action RPG best fits those strengths.

That sounds fine too I suppose, though I personally would prefer the randomized shitshow generator I described above...

Insofar only one person has a copy since it was sent as a gift exchange item.

I remember when people spammed it in 2012
are you new?

It was a secret santa gift to an user, and there's currently no known link to the publisher who printed it.

People like you always blame someone else for the failings of their hero, they did it with betel , they did it with ipgd , and you're doing it now

it's pointless to shift the blame but eh, what can you do

The inventory system wasn'the part of Sburb, it was a part of the separate Homestuck reality.

The idea that anyone would think Betel was a negative influence on Hussie is laughable. They were fucking before Problem Sleuth was a thing.

I ended up finding the gristmas one. I want to kinda get it but at the same time not. It'd be nice to have around.

It's an event that happened in the past. Pointing your finger at me changes nothing and is still not an argument.

Hussie ruined his own damn comic, but Halftruth made everything else so much worse with her policies.

Homestrife was probably never going to come out, but shutting it down while allowing Octopimp to operate was such a sick move.

AHAHA do you not remember that one screencap nigga? With the dude talking shit about her while posting one of those shipping charts?
Cmon man

I remember it, and it was as silly back then as it is now.

You're not making sense

If you said that back then, you'd get laughed at

see
Huss a shit.

>they did it with betel
this never happened

Like I said, they were fucking before Problem Sleuth was a thing. If she made Hivebent suck, she'd have made the whole comic suck right off the bat.

sup cohen

>Act 5 Act 1
Speed things up a bit, maybe. Showing off a semi-proper Sburb session (re: a session where the players aren't immediately attempting to break the session) isn't a bad thing in my opinion, but they should've gotten back to the Beta crew sooner.

Additionally, combine it and "horrorstuck" from A5A2. Leave it at a cliffhanger at the end, and revisit it later on in A5A2

>Act 5 Act 2
The above change. More stuff about the Beta crew breaking their session, less about the Trolls who had their entire session pass in the span of one act.

>Cascade
Make this the ending. The villain getting the last laugh would be appropriate for the story, given the context that Sburb is generally unforgiving and that they additionally mixed gods into the fray.

>Post-Cascade
Epilogue.
>The surviving cast regroup and resolve to confront Doc Scratch for tricking them, leading off onto a journey through Paradox Space in order to find him
>Cut to Jack Noir and Spade Slick messing with The (former) Felt's toys. They (accidentally) bring back the whole crew, and start planning their next gig: Killing Lord English
>Intermission 2 happens
>Tease at a Homestuck: Disc 2 series, in which these forces collide. Specifically put it under a new name in a new adventure so that Homestuck isn't idiotically long for no good reason, considering how it's technically two series put into one as it stands

>Act 6+
Don't do this

>Huss and his inner circlejerk a shit
ftfy

feels like you've got a grudge t b h senpai

that doesn't even make sense, why would cohen argue against that

Cohen is new

You are new

Huss is still the main shit for letting his comic be tainted in such ways

How do you fuck up your own personal project so badly

by being completely ruined by your inner circlejerk

me not being new is exactly why i know that didn't happen

You're blaming others, but really, you have to admire how low Hussie's dignity is when it comes to letting others influence them

this is a chicken vs the egg scenario but, Hussie is still pretty shitty for not manning up

like I said ( ), there's only one person that currently owns this second version.

look nigga, I remember it happening way back when
you might not have been there at hsg during those times or whatever, but I sure as was

don't really know what to say

You get an infection in your mind. That infection is "People paid for the video game, but Homestuck is free for them, therefore, I need to prioritize the game they paid for, at the expense of the comic they get for free."

You go whole hog on that idea.

You're a naive, sheltered, well-off Massachusetts boy living off of daddy's patent who hasn't worked a day in his life. The studio you find that is free to develop your game is run by cunning, backstabbing cunts. They pick up on the very obvious signals that you don't know a god damn thing about a god damn thing, and make you a mark.

You finally realize you've been had, move across the country to try and get the stolen money back, and, again, because you're a naive, sheltered, well-off Massachusetts boy living off of daddy's patent who hasn't worked a day in his life, you get bent over their table and forced to be content to take back only what little money they didn't already spend out of what they took, and sign an NDA promising not to tell anyone they're a bunch of cockfuck thieves in return for their generosity.

Your dad dies.

Your girlfriend leaves you.

You don't care about any of this "Homestuck" shit anymore and let some apparently funny Twitter man take over the whole thing.

it hurts

is Hussie the egg in this scenario