What are some things the Star Wars prequels did better than The Force Awakens?

What are some things the Star Wars prequels did better than The Force Awakens?

Nothing.
TFA is just an inoffensive corporate movie.
The prequels were the most expensive independent movies ever made. They have no excuse for being as abysmal as they are.

Star Wars

Literally everything. Lucas is a fucking hack

Music, characters, planets, aliens, aesthetics, plot. Pretty much everything except dialogue

They made the empire credible. The proto-storm troopers actually hit things, did well and were shown to be a military power capable of actually winning a fight.
unlike the the origional trilogy and every new star wars branded shitshow that makes them into a bigger and bigger joke every chance they get.

Objectively this.

I'll submit a single one:

Technical innovations

What innovation? An innovation pushes things forwards, not backwards.
All the prequels did was convince the next generation of retarded and lazy directors that they can get away with making their entire movie filmed in front of a green screen. Lo and behold, every single shitty Hollywood blockbuster now does this and it's a trend that the modern film industry simply has no interest in breaking out of because of the amount of shekels it's making them.

Lucas is largely responsible for modern capeshit and the abysmally low standards set for CG.

ACTUAL WORLD BUILDING

Somehow feeling less soulless.

>What innovation?

*breathes in*

t. Disney

Fuck you. TFA had no soul. It's a fucking rehash

>50s diner that no one remembers is good world-building

That is why is a brilliant pioneer, though.
LIke always, Lucas shows people how to do it, and then moves on to other things.
He had moved on from SW years ago, into sound engineering, CG FX, Vidya, and Trade Federation Tax Rates.
He got while the getting was good, but his personal record for innovation is fucking unmatched.
Fuck Spielberg

He didn't do any of that though.
It's ILM that deserves credit, not Lucas. He just showed up and pretends that he was the mastermind behind the magic.

Nice cherry picking, faggot. Enjoy your not-tattooine and not-death star

I'm not a Disneyfag, you stupid cunt.

>What are some things the Star Wars prequels did better than The Force Awakens?
everything

Worlds, Aliens, Characters, Starships and Weapon and Armour designs that fit well into the Star Wars Universe.
I mean of course everything looks to sterile but if you look at The Phantom menace as being before the Galaxy Wide Conflict of the Clone Wars and to the Later years of the Galactic Civil War in ROTJ, the Change of the Republic and Confedracy's weapons and Tech cushion well into the Original Series, in The Force Awakens everything is ether too samey or too far from Star Wars, Outer Rim or not, why's there so many new Species in Maz's Cantina.

I agree that there were legions of coders, marketers, and writers under him, but George helmed that motherfucker.
>Durr Stebe Jerbs wudnt a innovada neba

Soundtrack
Establishing shots (This includes in general the models for various locations)
Forwarding the advance of visual media I mean it's not really something that makes the movie better, but as shit as the CGI got in places, it still advanced CGI. Let's not forget that Star Wars is what we can thank in large part for the existence of photoshop, because they used and then supported the development of the grand daddy of all photoshop software, the same thing that made the Death Star map in A New Hope

Do you know anyone who pushed movie-making technology as much as Lucas did?
Digital pipelines, digital cameras, digital editing, digital sound, it goes so much beyond cg. You're just scratching the surface with a very redundant angry teenage level argument here

>Do you know anyone who pushed movie-making technology as much as Lucas did?
I don't care that Lucas happened to be in the room when a much smarter person modeled a cool looking space ship with a computer. All he did was hire talented people to make stuff for him, and then he proceeded to squander everything with a shitty movie as a backdrop for that cool shit to appear in.

If you're so obsessed and simple-minded about shiny things appearing in movies, then you're licking the wrong boot. James Cameron pushes fro technology in films as much as Lucas did, except his movies are objectively better and more memorable.
But of course you should know this since you're such an adult and mature person, right?

No one does anything alone in the cinema industry you moron, he's the one that had the talent to find the right people to help him achieve his goals. Hell he's one of the best American entrepreneur in history.

Hate the prequels as much as you want, hate cgi as much as you want, but don't pretend that this man didn't push the cinema technology, you're never ever going to be taken seriously by anyone who knows a tiny bit about movie making.

>Cameron innovates crazy submarine shit that is used in 1 or 2 movies, which are highly watchable.
>Lucas shows motherfuckers how to merchandise at levels God's Chosen People daren't've dreampt, selling more plastic shit per film than anything ever conceived.
Not even a contest, even if Cameron is a technical genius and writes/picks better screenplays to direct.

FA just felt like a proof of concept type movie, testing that people were still willing to give Star Wars a shot. Everything was pure black and white, no deep moral questions asked or concepts explored. New order made to look like literal Nazis, and none of the media around "how proud/diverse/buzzword" the cast/script is helping, just more virtue signaling

>Durr he changed the face of technology he pushed technology durrr what an accompishment amirite guys?
And I bet you think Steve Jobs is an awesome dude who had nothing but a positive impact on the world, right?
How does it feel to be so pathetic that you measure someone's worth based on such superficial bullshit?
Lucas can push for 'muh technology' all he wants, but I still say fuck him for trying to inflate that accomplishment and pretending that it had some positive impact on the world.
Spoiler alert: IT DIDN'T
Lucas fucked up filmmaking by lowering the bar for acceptable and convincing CG by oversaturating it in every single shot. Do not tell me that he's some amazing visionary when his """accomplishments""" only set the art of cinema backwards.

Having an original story.

But that's about it. The actual execution of that original story sucked ass.

If Lucas had someone else direct the movies, and reign in some of his crazier ideas, they could've been great. If Lucas could stay around as an ideas guy for the new movies, and NOT actually touch anything, they'd be infinitely better.

he actually wanted someone to direct it but everybody said he should it, he didnt have any choice

You're right, I forgot about that. I understand why people were afraid to do it at that time (only thing they had was the OT at the time, and that's a scary act to follow), but that's a huge shame nobody took him up on the offer.

>he didnt have any choice
You know how I know that you're a retarded Lucas fanboy and prequel kiddie?
When you make retarded excuses for Lucas like that.

>lightsaber fights
>character especially enemy designs
>new different worlds
>story arc that is different
>additions to lore
>epic feeling of a large universe with all kinds of different strange creatures

lucas is a prophet
>yfw he came up with attack of the clones because he knew in the future disney would make shitty rehashes of his films

not really, i just know this because i read this book, you should do it too

He didn't make an excuse for Lucas. He was responded to my post saying how it'd be better if someone else directed the prequels instead of Lucas, while using Lucas's ideas.

The videogames that came from that era are 100x better than anything lucasfilm/disney/ea has put out in the sequel generation.

maybe next time don't start a thread with a stupid question that is bound to blow up on your face kid.
Consider that TFA is so bad that even the prequels themselves have seen a form of redemption and not just on Sup Forums.

you're not convincing anybody here, as anyone can see with the several valid counter arguments posted

Have fuckable twilek background characters. There is not a single attractive female of any species in Disneywars.

>lightsaber fights
Very dependent on your age, and I don't mean that condescendingly. It's way over-the-top for a lot of older people, but just right for the kids who were super into the Genndy Tartakovsky clone wars shorts, and other types of cartoon action.

>additions to lore
Very hit and miss. The midochlorians being the obvious one (but at least they realized their misstep, and never referenced it again). Anakin being born of virgin birth had people rolling their eyes, but people dealt with it because we can't help but fucking love Star Wars, even with dumb ideas. Younger folk obviously grew up with it, so it wasn't a big deal to them.

but everything else, completely agreed on

Character and vehicle design.

Nigga looks like he smokes a lot of weed.

This.

Music

And that's just about it. The disney movies might be a little "designed by committee" and play it real safe, but they are slick, well made, decently well written enjoyable romps in the star wars universe. The prequels are birdemic / the room levels of bad where they are most fondly remembered due to how awful they are and how easy it is to churn out billions of memes. They are actually bad movies with real crippling faults.

Disneyshill please leave

>lightsaber fights
Or for Chinese like me who watch a lot of kungfu/wuxia movies.

>There is not a single attractive female of any species in Disneywars
Very good point, the only attractive creature is Poe

That's exactly what a Disneyfag would say.

How the fuck do you make a proof of concept movie out of an already established 40 year old franchise?

All I know is that the first time I saw the Anakin v Obi Wan fight, when Anakin jumps and there's that burst of crazy fast lightsaber choreography, is the most fired up I've ever been while watching a Star Wars movie.

Kinda sad I'll never feel anything approaching that again from Star Wars.

>worldbuilding
>plot
>character design
>dialogues
>music
>character arcs
>lore
>memorable scenes
>memorable quotes
>didn't pander to fans
>fights
>villains
etc etc

You'll soon realise that the prequels are better than the OT. That being said the best SW movie (Episode 1) is a 7 at best

>testing to see if people would still give it a chance
nice reading comprehension

This is actually very pertinent. Even Jabba had a harem. Prequels had sex too, not just anakin getting Padme pregnant, twin twileks in TPM, sexy aliens in the deathstick club/bar of Aotc, sexy robots in the opera in Ep3, just to name a few on the top of my head.

Nuwars? There's nothing sexy nor sexual. It simply doesn't exists.

>tried to tell an actually interesting story building on themes and universe of the original (mostly failed though) rather than aping a 40 year old movie in every superficial way while missing the elements of the story that made it work so well, and contriving a lame backstory to justify not changing the basic structure at all
>had some legitimately cool settings and designs because ILM was still the best in the world and Lucas had them go nuts
>some sequences (e.g. podrace) were mind-blowing at the time and still hold up as exciting cinema
>had some memorable writing if only because it was hilariously bad
>had Ewan McGregor and Sheev in it
That about covers it. Absolute dogshit movies but I'd rather watch any of them over NuSW

FPWP

Prequels are better than that liberal SJW Disney movie.

>What are some things the Star Wars prequels did better than The Force Awakens?

Politics
in the prequels we see the body politic at play. There's a republic with a senate and a chancellor. There are schemes, foul play, JarJar manipulated to propel palpatine to power.

In Disneywars, we're somehow back to rebellion/resistance (god i hate this name) secret comitees. TFA makes no fucking sense politically.

>This
but Ima make a full collection of Old and Nu

>aesthetics
someone post the hallway

This is one of many reasons I don't get on how people can hate these movies. You always hear people complain about things they don't like but people seldom ever give anything an honest fair unbiased take when it comes to anything on the internet. Its either love or hate with no fair details given in between. An honest person shouldn't be so black and white like this. They should be able to point out things done right in these movies even if they don't like them as a whole.

It's FUCKING STAR WARS. You don't need to "test" shit. It's GUARANTEED to make money you dumbuck.

>no one remembers
That's probably the only criticism the prequels don't deserve

/thread

Even the main characters were very sexually charged. Luke's story is in part that of a sexually frustrated young man looking to get out in the world and have some experiences, he'll jump at anything. Han is a scoundrel with all that implies. Leia is a princess who toys with the boys and ultimately falls for/redeems the scoundrel. Part of why the story rings true. NuSW is completely sexless because think of the children/muh sexism

Prequels felt like star wars from the start

Lucas should have let someone else write the dialogue but the rest is right.

Darth Maul > Kylo Ren

>making their entire movie filmed in front of a green screen

people who have no understanding of movie production, especially the production of the movies they are criticizing, should refrain from chiming in with their misguided opinions and wrong facts

Kylo is an actual character, so no.

>liberal SJW Disney movie

You have never seen the OT? It's liberal as fuck.

>The only decent government official is a woman.
>The leader of the Rebellion is a woman.
>The woman is the only intelligent and mature member of the main group.
>Totalitarian regimes that oppress minorities are bad.
>New age mystic effeminate weirdo saves the day.
>Hip black guy blows up Death Star II.

Even the PT is pretty liberal.

>The only decent government official is a woman, again.
>Emergency executive powers are fucking awful.
>An army of people with minimal individual personality and designed to follow every order leads to negative results.
>A confederation of private businesses and trade conglomerates running their own government is bad for everyone else.
>A weak republic is easily compromised by sinister people using clandestine methods toward their own personal interests.

Oh yeah and the movies are made by George Lucas. I rest my case.

fucking this
Lucas created all by himself modern marketing for the entertainment industry, not just Hollywood. These morons didn't even sold movie t shirts before star wars.

And the best part is that Lucas did it because he was forced to give up his own director's salary on ANH to finish the movie since Fox wouldn't give him the financing that he was begging for. In exchange Fox gave Lucas merchandising rights for eternity in his contract while the studio kept distribution rights for ANH. He showed them all the true potential of such a neglected clause.
No studio ever did the same mistake ever again since.

Can't forget the hip black guy in the PT.

They had their own personalities.
1 was the silly kids movie with PODRACING, FROG PEOPLE, and jar jar Binks
2 was that boring clones movie with the Yoda scene and Natalie Portman in a midriff almost getting eaten by some The Host monster
3 was the battle of mustafar and dead kids.
TFA was nothing, there is no iconic scene. Nothing pops right into your head when you think of the single scene that defined TFA

Rey being such an incredibly awfully written character stands out all through TFA.

Right, I agree with that, I just mean if you had to take a single shot from the movies it would probably be
>Pod racing scene, or Darth maul fight
>Yoda fight, or geonosis clone troopers shooting droids
>Mustafar
>MAYBE the snow scene at the very end?

When I think of the prequels I just think of a huge pile of shit.

When I think of TFA I think of the image at the premier with george lucas whispering in JJ's ear that he's available if they need any help and JJ laughing and making the "GEORGE LUCAS EVERYBODY"

The clone troopers were molded from Jango fett one of the greatest and deadliest bounty hunters they were raised to fight while storm troopers were just average Joe's

the cgi was more consistent

Stormtroopers are supposed to be the highly trained elites of the imperial army. They're just pathetic because they're faceless mooks in a fun adventure movie, not a serious war drama.

nothing they both have niggers in them

The best sith lord in the history of Star Wars. Then the fuckers copped out. Darth Binks. Fucker was a perfect cover and worked to undermine Anakin's respect for his elders, while hiding in plain sight. He came up with his own fighting style which was a sort of drunken brawler style. This allowed him to use his force powers in combat while hiding in plain sight. Had they run with that he would have been the perfect villain.

Who has the one with the ships/vehicles?

why is everyone so fucking scared to praise the prequels? there's a lot of nice things about them
nobody is gonna fucking kill you online if you admit the prequels weren't that bad, you're not gonna get a STD or cancer

They are bad though.

darth icky icky goo!

i can't stop laughing, lucas obviously has autism if he thought this is a reasonable facial expression

Simple, the Soundtrack.

Music more than anything

>except dialogue
And acting.

>Trade Federation Tax Rates.
i laughed user

>he forgot about Lando
Get out.