Everybody no matter how good they were or anything goes straight to hell after death to suffer in ethernal river of...

>Everybody no matter how good they were or anything goes straight to hell after death to suffer in ethernal river of souls

Wow this is so dark, what they were thinking!?

Hades isn't hell

In Disney it is

>this depictation of ancient Greek mythology does not align with my protestant Christian views of the afterlife and how it should be affected by morality
Yeah how dare they

Those are just the people who were burned or buried without coins for passage, dude.

The river of souls is basically purgatory. Then you have the Elysium Fields which is the Greek equivalency to 'heaven' and the torment in the form of retribution or agonizing repetition.

Push a boulder up a hill. Forever. Only to have it roll back down at the end of the day.

Listen to this guy, kids: No matter how good you are, you're not getting into any place without money.

Tow coins, it's the lowest tax in history man.

but it's not even greek mythology accurate

The afterlife being shit is the most accurate thing in the whole movie.

>Push a boulder up a hill. Forever. Only to have it roll back down at the end of the day.

Not much different from life then, I suppose

Why don't you just walk away from the boulder?

Actually, the Elysium was just for HEROES answer exceptional humans, most people ended up as shadow's on depressing caves and woods surrounding the underworld.

Presumably there's a daemon on hand to shove a pitchfork up your ass if need be.

That's so clever dude. It's not like a philosopher came up with that comparison or anything. So fucking deep man.

What crawled up your ass

Because if you can get the boulder to the top, the gods have promised you freedom.

You can fail as many times as it takes, you only need to succeed once... maybe it will be this next time...

A guy pushing a boulder.

>guys, what are you complaining about?
>Of course they couldn't do the real story, greek mythology is way to gruesome for disney to adapt!
>no they couldn't turn him killing his family and needing to atone into something more family friendly like hurting them and needing to find a cure
>implications of Zeus cheating are way too horrible! It's not like there's an easy fix like calling Hera his stepmother or anything
>eternal suffering in the underworld is fine though, so is untold mass murder by the titans
>also, why have an evil king be the villain when there's a good of the underworld right there?

The TV show had the Elysian fields as a paradise resort Hades couldn't enter or influence.

>Because you earned a hero's reputation
>You deserve an extra long vacation
>Eternal rest and relaxation
>at Elysian Fiiiiiieeeelds!

Then you get whipped by furies

I wonder if he's ever shoved his chin up somebody's anus?

What about Elysium?

You have to keep in mind that Greek gods don't give a shit about us and that our existence is an accident to them.

To the greeks the gods being assholes is their way of explaining the cruelty of life in their time. Disease, famine, mental illness, and deformities were explained as curses from the gods because they were angered in some way.

Not entirely true. There was a prophecy that they needed humans/demigods to defeat the giants. But for the most part yeah.

A french algerian

I misread that as furries and that made it even more horrifying.

Actually, there's supposedly a special island in the Elysian Fields that's for heroes. You gotta be really badass to get there though.

Wasn't the push a boulder up a hill thing just a punishment for trying to leave the underworld, and not what everyone who went there had to do?

Yes that was the whole point. He gave him a simple task to do but Hades does nothing but fuck with him so he can never do it.

That is almost exclusively for heroes and people of legend. Everyone else just stands in a field all day doing nothing or in the place of punishment getting tortured for eternity.

Even people who weren't Greek wound up in Hades when they died.

>Jafar canonically ended up there after he died in Aladdin II, and he was Arabic.

The Greek afterlife is apparently the one true afterlife and all other religions were wrong.

Eh, the Sultan said praise Allah, and Islam wasn't made until about 1500 years ago. So with such a huge time inconsistency, I wouldn't look too deep into it.

IIRC, in the Greek mythology they actually believed that everyone goes to Hades after they die. Then again, Hades himself wasn't evil, so they only got one thing right.

A dreary afterlife and giant monsters who are never seen killing anyone are absolutely more family-friendly than adultery and killing your family.

Hercules was a GOAT movie. Being faithful to the source material =/= quality.

yes but there were different levels of hades

No it was punishment for being a dickbag. He gleefully killed guests/travellers breaking xenia (one of Zeus' most cherished domains), betraying Zeus' secrets, and tricking Thanatos/Hades and chaining them in the underworld and preventing death from happening.
He was sent to Tartarus because he was wicked and full of hubris in life.

Disappearing from existence isn't that much better senpai.

So it's just like Christianity, but without believing Jesus will save you part? And instead of river of souls, it's lake of fire. Forever.

Odysseus meets Achilles in the underworld and he's a shade. He didn't make it to Elysium.

So, apparently you have to be more of a hero than Achilles to get in.

Hades is Hades and hell is hell, dumbass.

In other versions he did make it Elysium. There's no real canon to Greek mythology.

So, all you autists are crying over retarded stuff like 'why was hades evil' and 'why didn't they talk about zeus cucking hera' but you don't even talk about the fact that hercules is the roman hero, and heracles is the greek one.
You let me down for the last time, Sup Forums

>Hercules was a GOAT movie.

But Phil wasn't the main character.

>Everyone else just stands in a field all day doing nothing
Are they allowed to sit?

Superior Japanese dubbu actually corrected that and called him Heracles.

>tfw you play age of myth a ton and noticed this ages ago.

Yes, but that costs extra.

Guess it's for the exact same reason the engrish dub has gone Hercules.
Because Heracles is hard for kids to pronounce, at least that's the official excuse.
And HERRUCULISS would sound more retarded to the gooks.
Or maybe Disney Japan isn't as stupid.

I know user, me too
And it pains me, because I LOVED that movie, and I guess it's still one of my favorite disney movie. But I always remember it whenever I hear his name being called, and my autism activates.

Eh. Hercule the Series also used Bacchus instead of Dionysus, but their excuse was that the episode was about the teenagers throwing a Bacchanal, so they needed the name Bacchus to justify the phrase.

The show even had an episode explaining why the Roman Pantheon was the same as the Greek Pantheon but with different names, too.

Pluto? Who would even name their dog Pluto?

You moron, Hercules is literally just a contraction of the Greek name. It's not like with Zeus and Jupiter where there were two separate deities which eventually got interpreted as one and the same. They're entirely the same fucking guy.

Nah, that's mostly the work of the Romans, who were considerably more supersititious than the Greeks, and added different "regions" of hell, like Tartarus. Pseudo-paradises, like the Elysian fields, are either the work of writers or secret cults, like the Eleusinian Mysteries, who believed their rituals would give them access to some sort of "sekrit, exclusive club" in the afterlife.

The Greek afterlife, in its purest form, is pretty much like the Sumerian one; a shitty, drab place where you mull around as a shade and wallow in sorrow as everyone above slowly forgets you. There is only redemption in glory and living on as a well-remembered hero, but even that didn't usually come with some kind of tangible reward for the dead hero himself.

>Hercule the Series

You mean Mr. Satan the Series, right?

Athena is best girl.

Nah, it's Salmacis.

She was horny as fuck.

No, Hercules is Hercules and Heracles is Heracles.
YES, they're both the same 'hero', but no, they're not.
They did different shit in both mythologies.
Zeus is Zeus and Jupiter is Jupiter, even tho they're both using thunderbolts and are considered kings of the gods.
Are Allah and the christian's god the one and the same?
yes and no.

Or pretty much like the Norse one - Valhalla was just for a select few, and they only went there because Odin had use for them.

Religions tend to be regional when it comes to afterlives.
Middle East: a good place and a bad place, everyone gets judged and sent to the appropriate destination.
Asia: reincarnation - nuff said. (Jainism has a pretty funny version of it, btw. Two words: karma particles.)
Europe: a drab dead place where everyone ends up by default, with a possible exception for a few.

Reminder that Ariel, being the daughter of Triton, and Triton is the son of Poseidon, brother of Hades, making her the grand niece of Hades.

You forgot

Egyptian: If your soul is lighter than a feather, you go to pleasure. If you weight to much, it's the crocopotamus for you!

Nah, that's still under Middle East.

She was also a rapist

Who's the Greek mythology equivalent to Jar Jar Binks?

That is the reason why Christianity won many followers and obtained power over other official religions, because while the other only offered a grim imitation of your life in the other world, Christianity you offered a new world full of light and eternal happiness, and for that you not had that be upper class, a King or a hero even the most humble slave could in a place where not all the money in the world I could win your place at the bliss.

And then invented the indulgences...

>because while the other only offered a grim imitation of your life in the other world, Christianity you offered a new world full of light and eternal happiness, and for that you not had that be upper class, a King or a hero even the most humble slave could in a place where not all the money in the world I could win your place at the bliss.
It makes sense, but did they think the other gods and their version of the afterlife would just fuck off if they just switched to Christianity?

Hades is a god, numbnuts, not a place. The Greek's depiction of the Underworld shares a great many thematic and aesthetic similarities to the modern idea of Hell, but for that you entirely have Dante Alighieri to thank who used the fiery caverns and dark rivers of the former as inspiration for his depictions of the latter (which prior to him did not have much "imagery" attached to it other than the "burning of haystacks" allegory in the New Testament).

But in contrast to the eternal punishment schtick of Hell, the Greek Afterlife as described by Plato (which, true to all things Greek, or more precisely, all things Athenian) was a blurred line between belief and metaphor was about spirits being cleansed of their earthly experiences through thousands of years of what may or may not be considered torment before being recycled as spirits for new bodies.

Gotta love Sisyphus

Priapo

>LITERALLY turning a devoted follower of her in a Gorgon, after she gets raped by her brother in her temple.

I don't think so, Tim.

Later Hades became a name of Hades's realm

>Later uneducated children who internalized Greek Mythology through modern pop culture rather than source texts empowered their own ignorance by calling things by their wrong name.
I dare you to find a text prior to the 19th century that refers to any aspect of the Underworld as Hades

You mean Erebus.

>It makes sense, but did they think the other gods and their version of the afterlife would just fuck off if they just switched to Christianity?

The vast majority of Christians were illiterate, people too busy with surviving in a world full of difficulties for wasting time in philosophical and theological analysis, in Rome had one hundred of beliefs and sects with their particular way of interpreting the religion, for many people the Christianity, with only God Almighty that you loved and forgave no matter what you've done in life and get to a place better when you die sounds more appeal to a dozen of gods with intricate sacraments, liturgies, sacrifices that sometimes were exclusively for a specific social class and which were too complicated to understand your message.

I suppose in essence they believed that every god had his own followers, and as long as you believed in yours the other gods would leave you alone.

And then Christianity it became the religion of the Empire and all the machinery liturgical and sacraments became part of him

It wasn't though. It was just dreary and dull. That's why Hades hated it so much.

I have only seen the Latin American version and there the kingdom of Hades is called Inframundo = Underworld, as they said in the English version?

Had the Muslims straightforwardly accepted Christian dogma as their own and had Muslims and Christians universally agreed that their gods were the same guy, then yes, they would be the same guy.

This is neither a case of divergent evolution like Yahveh and Allah, or convergent evolution like with Zeus and Jupiter. This is Romans straight up accepting a Greek hero wholesale.

Ariel's family reunion should have been the plot for the sequel instead of Ursula's sister showing up.

Confirmed for best girl.

>Are Allah and the christian's god the one and the same?

Fun Fact: Allah and the Christian's god is the same to the Hebrew god

Other Fun fact: The Christian word for 'God' = "Dios" is based on the word 'Diouxs' which derives from the Greek name of Zeus, the English word for God derives from the Nordic

>Other Fun fact: The Christian word for 'God' = "Dios" is based on the word 'Diouxs' which derives from the Greek name of Zeus,
Isn't that because the new testament was in greek?

>Book of Life
>Everyone eventually ends up a soulless husk in the Land of the Forgotten
>Infamous people like Hitler get to party in the Land of the Remembered for a lot longer than your average good person

It's often forgotten just how revolutionary and anti-establishment early Christianity really was. It didn't promise some vague pies in the sky after death. It promised Christ coming back and setting shit straight with heavenly fire any minute now.

Setting shit straight in what way, you ask? Well the core idea of Christianity was that of equality and reversal of roles. Say you're a slave or just a fucking poor person in the Roman empire. You hear about this god who submitted to the judgement of ordinary people, even at the cost of his own life. If that's what happens to gods, what do you imagine is gonna happen to your master? Or that asshole emperor? Or anyone else who laughs at the oppressed masses? Christianity offered people liberation from pain and misery both in this life and the next.

Of course then the anti-establishment religion became the establishment, pain and misery persisted and Christ showed no signs of actually showing up, so they had to modify their message a bit over the ages.

>Only the most exceptional examples of humanity get a good afterlife.
>based not on being good or bad people but merely exceptionalism.
>Anyone who isn't first among many can fuck off

This sounds like the kind of EUPHORIC religious ideology dreamed by the same kind of person who would say everyone worthless should be killed in a purge to improve humanity. Then not include themselves on that list.

>Diouxs
There is no "Diouxs" as a word. Dios is a Spanish version of the Latin "Deus", meaning god. You've got a bit of a point there in the sense that Deus, Theos (Greek for God) and Zeus all come for the same Indo-European root meaning deity, but everything else is completely wrong.

Well, the word Bible comes from the Greek βιβλία 'Great Book' and Christ is the Greek word Χριστός for 'Messiah' or 'Anointed One' that eventually was latinized to Christus, and although there were early editions of the New Testament in Aramaic and Coptic, Is the Greek version that was transmitted and passed to the Latin when Christianity was institutionalized literally rejecting the other versions, in fact is due to the Greek version much of the different interpretations of many aspects of the bible that caused several conflicts between the various Christian sects until The Council of Nicea determined that it would form part of the bible and that books were apocryphal

Nah, the Greeks just didn't give a shit about the afterlife. Life was important, death was shit.

Also, Elysian fields are just the most well known part of afterlife. Asphodel meadows were reserved for people who were just "okay" and they were treated okay there.

But again, all death in any form was infinitely worse than life to the Greeks so they didn't really give a shit either way.

The whole Hector thing probably didn't help

The whole concept of primitive Christianity is to kick in the balls into the very nature of the world; While other religions made it clear that only the best of humanity deserved a place in the other world, Christianity told you that if you had faith and cared for each other, it would not matter who you were on the social scale, the next All would be equal, without winners or losers, all together in eternity next to an almighty God.

Remember that at that time the concept of hell did not exist, that shit was adapted from the concept of Greek-Latin underworld, a bit of Egyptian religion, Zoroastrianism and Sumerian-Babylonian myths

I'm aware of the difference.

Though your post does make me wonder how much "hey lets help eachother rather than stab eachother in the dick about who is better!" changed the world on the whole. Not just a social scale, but effecting the rise of empires.

Erebus is another name for Tartarus which is specifically the deepest darkest part of the underworld where they banish the truly wicked

Empires arise and fall all the time, that is a natural fact.

The same goes with religions, their initial purpose was to answer the fundamental question 'WHY?' Above all, science now occupies the place of religion and eventually something better to replace science

The fact was that religion did not change the world of its own accord, change started when people stopped searching for answers in the Bible and began to look for them in the world, which gave way to the illustration and the scientific revolution that unleashed The religion of the top of the truth, and it was the merchants, bankers and opportunists who used the new knowledge to provoke the political, economic and cultural changes that have not given the world in which we live

>Brother
Also to be fair rape in antiquity and rape in modernity aren't the same thing. Especially in a society in which wardship was tantamount to ownership. For instance the myth of the Rape of Persephone is typically just Hades taking her for a bride but doesn't physically assault her. Essentially Poseidon took pussy that wasn't his to take and Medusa broke her vows of chastity.....depending on the version of the story. I mean I guess it's not really proportionate response on Athena's part but it's slightly better than deforming a rape victim because she can't take on her Uncle herself.
Also if I;'m correct Greeks didn't have an actual word for rape as we define it.

And the Elysium Fields weren't that great either. It was just a nice field free of all of Hades' bullshit

It's just a mythology that's lot more grounded into the natural world. Death is scary, and usually painful. The dead are eventually forgotten one by one, and only the most important people are able to live on in memory past a couple of generations. It's a very pragmatic worldview, which fits a pantheon of petty Gods that see people as small, fragile playthings.