How's Your Webcomic? #347

Post your comic here, tell us about it. Share your process. Tell us your inspirations.
Previously on HYW: Draw Prompt- R63 a character

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
circlejerk.de
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
quinmael.tumblr.com/post/157066148124/quinmael-another-arkanothadventures-update
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

63ing is always a good time had by all.. I've done it before but maybe I should do it again

you dont have to its just a prompt

Hope it's okay to repost shit.

typically if you posted something at the end of a thread there's no reason not to repost. in your case your updates are slow so I guess it's okay

Most recent page right here.
If you like it, you can read it at circlejerk.de

i would recommend adding the top of the halucipede in panel two like its crawling up his shirt, change the sound effect from slurp as centipedes dont have tongues maybe nibble? and keep the centipede on the sweater or falling down on panel 5
i chuckled.

>i would recommend adding the top of the halucipede in panel two like its crawling up his shirt, change the sound effect from slurp as centipedes dont have tongues maybe nibble? and keep the centipede on the sweater or falling down on panel 5

Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Oh, by the way, the reason why you can't see the centipede in the last panel is because he completely entered Kevin's body, so the "slurp" sound isn't a bite, it's... whatever noise it would make having a centipede slipping right through your skin. I can add a little hole on Kevin's throat in the last panel to make it more clear, though.

I didn't notice the demon's expression last time, it's fantastic
this is a nitpick, but since hallucinate has two Ls, shouldnt halucipede also have two?

Some stupid troll comics my friend and I made in high school.

You're right, I'll have to change that.

Oh that makes sense. so the problem there is that there's no clear visual way to depict a centipede entering his neck, unless it was more than halfway in, because your eye doesn't readily see "a centipede burrowed partway in" as different from a normal centipede.

did you go to highschool back when people said 'japanese anime' ? because if so, how'd you get such good digital art done back then?

hell if I know, reddit gave us a lot of shit so we had to quit. I guess we only made something a mentally challenged 16 year old would funny.

I guess I don't get the jokes, but I feel like most of the ingredients of a good webcomic are there. you should try to make more

Yeah, it's very non-sequitur and some comics were just downright offensive not funny. Our writing was very hit or miss as edgy high schoolers.

A friend and I have been coming up with some characters for a webcomic series. It involves, two girls beating the shit out of random people After visiting the sticky links, we haven't fleshed out a story arc completely which I know, could be helpful for foreshadowing, etc.

I just don't want to fail again, reddit was relentless to us in the past.

>anime is for pedos
>tumblr is for emo girls
>actually watched Drake and Josh
There's no way this shit can exist beyond the year 2001. I'm amazed we can even see your images instead of actual TV static where a jpg should be.

the sad thing is, I like nonsequiturs and 'ta-da!' endings, it's just that they get so tired so quickly and basically require the rest of the comic to really shine in order to be worth reading.
what sticky links?
seriously, right? this art is amazing for how old it HAS to be. i can't believe the files are this large, they would have taken forever on dialup

>this art is amazing for how old it HAS to be.

in terms of digital quality. comics simply didn't look like that in the early 00s

>sticky links
I meant the writing resources resource in the original post. Anyway, I think I'll just stick to drawing requests. I'm too stupid to write and want to focus on drawing.
I think we posted these around 2005-2006. dial-up. Thankfully dial-up wasn't largely in use by then.

Oh I get it. With your lack of punctuation I actually thought you were saying your characters were beating people up after visiting the links, and I was like, the links in this thread?

>tumblr
>2001

What underage posters actually believe.

not true
skill level of the average webcomic hobbyest, maybe

oh yeah good point, that was the anachronism there
only now that we know it was made in '05, i'm not sure. tumblr wasn't a thing yet, but people had stopped saying 'japanese anime' or talking about drake and josh at all

For that redraw activity last thread to the user who asked... was a fun exercise

Check out my webcomic, Sup Forums! It just got an update!

A boy falls in love with a girl. He is mysteriously gifted with her phone number. He calls her and finds out that she likes him as well. But the next day, she doesn't remember the confession. The girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who likes his own alternate self. Hijinks ensue as the two tell each other their darkest secrets to conquer the hearts of their other selves.

See: webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

so you're not the original guy of that comic? because the lines look similar. I forget.
the word bubbles are a bit confusing, but otherwise this is great

No I'm not the artist, he posted it last thread, there was a prompt to draw each other's panels

Finished part 3 of my webcomic a few days ago.

Working on part 4; hvaen't touched it in a few days. Work's been a bitch. people are fucking stupid, especially vendors we work with.

Page 4 WIP. Hardly touched in a few days but should be faster for me to fix and rework.

god damn you this is actually a good comic
could you be more self-aware when you post it though, and not try to act like it's your original idea?

well you did a good job and you matched it nicely as well.

I should have participated in that, I just didn't feel up to it

FiNDZzz

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

>tfw you're stuck on the writing and decide to watch some shows for inspiration but you end up just watching a bunch of shows and not working on your comic

Anime and Manga have been a big influence in my project but I'm certainly doing my best to make sure direct elements don't seep in. I've all but ironed out every direct influence, back then I might as well have been stealing.

Currently Binging on Blue Exorcist

How many times has this been posted on this general exactly?

Even if you reword it everyone remembers what it is.

>be a teenager
>Trying your best to sort through anime, videogames, etc
>it's hard as fuck to tell what's a trope (mysterious tuxedo guy with a mask and roses, schoolgirl-uniform-themed magic wielder) and what's an individual unique character (50s-americana-themed lad with psychic powers, sumo robot)
>clumsily make your own characters hoping it's all unique enough or at least parodies
I'm still gonna make that shit someday. My ideas are too funny and good. especially the delusional girl who only thinks she's a magical girl

This is the first time it's been an actual webcomic

yeah, that's my problem as well, eventually i expanded my horizons and have a bunch of influences in American comics as well.

we're lucky to have the internet now at least.
and sometimes a ripoff can turn more unique over time.
my favorite thing is to let a character branch out and start homaging other characters until they're half a composite and half a running gag

One character I've spent the most time on is meant to be the opposite of a typical shonen hero

Finally started working on mine. Here's the WIP of my first two pages. It's a dream that kicks off the main character's story arc. The recurring dream sequence will all be in this artstyle but the rest of the comic is in a slightly simpler style so I can make it a little faster, since this takes a couple hours too long for my comfort. Wanting to update two pages twice weekly like this.

Woops forgot to change it to RGB instead of CMYK

well now this will be an interesting comparison.

nice artsy fartsy bullshit

How so?
As I said, dream sequence. The actual story proper is about a cartographer mapping a bizarre, uncharted land and his adventures in the wild.

Artsy. Your comic had better explain this right quick, boyo.

That would be giving things away too quick, though!

it would appear that going from cmyk to rgb has resulted in an overall lowering in saturation
i know that doing the reverse removes a lot of shades of bright blue and some of the more subtle browns...

Isn't this plagiarism? Did he even ask permission from the original maker of the copypasta?

you cant own a concept

I don't care about random shapes and colours, though. Doesn't make for a very interesting read without a plot.

Well again, there's an actual plot, this is just a dream. The very next panel is him awakening in his home, a towering seaside windmill.

im pretty close to being done with this page
i made a tumblr earlier today but havent posted anything yet, i dont even remember how tumblr works, i havent had one since 2013 and early 2014

im going to launch this webcomic after i remake page 1, and maybe the cover page, and choose a host site, its either going to be comic fury OR line webtoons! havent decided yet!

also, encase anyone missed it i already have the next 8 pages done including this one all the way to page 10: >

i have notebook sketches of each character and their accessories, they each have there own unique coffee cup, lighter/matches, backpack/purse, and umbrella and ofcourse there own special goth girl grill, the main theme of the comic, oh and they all smoke the same brand of cigarettes ofcorse and all drink black coffee

does it end up being prescient in retrospect?

will this madman ever be stopped?

Yeah it ties into a specific point about halfway through the story, and then again near the end.

Yesterday i uploaded 2 new pages to my "choose your own adventure" webcomic. Barely passed 24 hours and already 6 people voted. That just doubles last week's votes.

Also, i've got a question. The universe of Arkanoth is something a bit complex, that needs some explanation, but i don't want to go like mangas that spend 20 pages explaining how thing works, but i also don't want to throw things without info knowing that this kind of narrative (the 1 or two pages per week where readers decide) doesn't allow me to explain things easily. Would be TOO TERRIBLE to add parallel pages on the own world's blog that explain some of the complicated things? I did it with this update, added one page to explain a bit what Dungeoneerists are, you read it if you want after clicking on the link.

Anyway, any critique is really welcome, leave here the link to read from the start or go to the new pages:
quinmael.tumblr.com/post/157066148124/quinmael-another-arkanothadventures-update

just do some cute little 'ask' pages to get the exposition out
might be fun if it was its own character, a jaunty little archivist guy

Oh, good idea! I told people to send questions to explain anything they want to know as the story unveils.

Anyway, i kinda needed to add extra info to make the reader understand the importance of the book. Do you think i did too much and that i could have that info left for future updates?

nah i think that was fun
what you did is you put a tiny, ignorable link in the author comments section, where nobody is going to find it

regardless one shoud give credit where credit is due

Thanks. I'll try to find a way to make it more visible

and he did credit the meme

oh ok then cool

Re-did this panel, didn't like the old one.

huh, i liked it, but I like this one too
you can post the other if you want, we've been looking a lot into redo-comparisons recently

Sure

hmm, it's interesting, I like some aspects better before, but I can definitely see a lot i like about the new version too. Especially that fist bursting out of the panel, that is fantastic.

so basically FOIGHTIN ROUND THE WUHLD but with two girls instead of russel crowe? that could work. just ask yourself why they beat people up, and make it a story

>when your comic is so bad even your mom is telling you to stop wasting your time

redrawing page 1 now, im ready to just launch this thing already! Still havent decided on a host site yet...

original version of this page: it was super cartoony and no one liked it so i made up a better style and am doing it in black and white thanks to my haters because looking back on it now a few days later they were fucking right for once!

so if this webcomic blows up one day and has a huge fanbase i owe it to my Sup Forums haters who kept it real with me and told me it sucked and looked autistic and needed to be redone. thanks yall!

did everyone die? im almost finished, just needs word balloons and some texture brushed i made my self to paint in the ground texture and stuff

this is a low 118 kb version, the image got to big to upload on linksys :/

ill upload the finished hd version tomorrow

texture brushes*

keep it up man, this is your best concept yet

I've gotta admit, this one is actually really funny

MY BACK, IT HURTS

oh wow, thank you, thank you!

what do you think about this idea of having all the food being in color but everything else being in black and white? maybe the fire being in color to, maybe...

sir, sir, excuse me, these girls are dealing with their crippling goth girl depression in the best way they can, this is a serious comic about young teenage goth girls finding away to make it through the bleak and pointless days that add more and more depression and anxiety and other problems. show a little sympathy man, have a little heart!

they also grill a shit ton of hotdog and other bbq meats on there cute little goth grills! ^^

MY EYE, IT HURTS

Dammit. I would so watch a TV series about two girls shouting angrily in Australian and fighting 'round the world.

I don't know their names, but I drew the one on the log.

painted out the ground and some grass and gave all the girls a shadow in the first panel, also made Lilly's lawn/beach chair see through

so i guess its pretty much done... still low kb version, hd version later on today, plus im launching this comic on either comic fury or line web toons

also rate my texture brushes i made! the grass one i made comes in handy a lot.

my jaw dropped to the floor and i almost cried, thank you, this is the first GGZ fan art i got cuz i just made this project up and started it like 3 or 4 days ago, its super brand new so i was not expecting this at all, thank you!

I drew a log girl. Don't know her name but here ya go~

That is some dynamite panel flow. I hope for panel three the impact is super strong and shakes stuff.

her name is Tiny Bird, but everyone calls her T-bird for short!

again thank you this is amazing! i was expecting anything like this so soon! 10/10 drawing!

don't do this

Nah, I'll keep doing it

in my defense, not only is that crop from 4 years ago, but it was part of a series of drawings i did in less than 2 days as part of a free give away of art on deviant art, none of the characters where mine and i wasn't very good with anatomy back then and just freestyled and made anatomy up back then but im much better now 4 years later here in 2017 man

also that autism quote was from a fake deviantart account someone from here made up just to troll me in a very hateful and but hurt way because i out trolled the trolls and that pissed the troll off into making a fake account with fake info, it was pretty funny though

some of those other quotes are mine and i really believed that stuff back then but i think i have grown as an artist and as a person since then

tl,dr: dont reply to the outdated dont reply meme. filter "dont reply" and you wont have to see this hater fail at being a hater which is really sad, lol

damn, beat me to it

i did it too, and assumed the guy is made of metal.
>linework help
its a simple style so simple linework would do. thicker on closer things, thinner on farther, that kind of thing. mostly you just need to make your lines smoother and more confident.
dropping some basic shadows, cast and form, would really help bring it out. also establishing a value pattern. maybe even for organic things do a bit of cross-hatching

your comic sucks, sweetie. now come set the table for dinner

T-Bird isn't a very goth name.

God, no wonder I stopped posting here. Opacity in storytelling can build interest and stories can also be told abstractly. Just because you don't personally find it moving or interesting (though I would argue that's because you don't know how to read it in the first place) doesn't mean it's "artsy fartsy bullshit." You're the kind of dumbfuck who thinks when somebody says comics that they mean Marvel and DC.

To the artist - the 9 grid works well here. I like the juxtaposition of the grid with the ambiguity of image and color. It's literally the best thing I've seen posted here since I started lurking again a couple weeks ago. I also like your use of color here as symbolic rather than naturalistic. Folks here are rather ignorant about this kind if work, so don't take it to heart.

>Opacity in storytelling can build interest and stories can also be told abstractly.
Sure, but I'm not going to trust some random asshole on the internet to be able to do that well. If I see some bullshit like this from some nobody, I'm not going to assume they're one of the 0.000000001% of authors who know what they're doing, I'm going to make the safe assumption that I'm wasting my time, and then move on.

You're not educated in the medium if you think the percentage of artists who work in comics that can pull off this type of narrative is so small.

How is a nobody supposed to become a somebody - and how are we supposed to keep the medium fresh and viable - if the only ones "allowed" to do unconventional or challenging narratives are already established? It would suck to approach comics as though they were meaningless until approved or recognized by the old guard.